Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

stratdax posted:

That's exactly what they're doing, intentionally. They aren't doing the "movie universe" anymore. That's why the movie "Joker" exists, even though there was a different joker in some of the other movies. Or the new The Batman movie is coming out, even though it contradicts other stuff. Or The Suicide Squad is a partial reboot, partial sequel, partial standalone from Suicide Squad or any of the other movies.

They're just making a bunch of different movies that have little to nothing to do with each other. Thankfully, because at least it will allow different movies that maybe have different or unique takes, other than a streamlined overarching story and formula that they must fit in to. Worrying about where it fits in the canon is the worst way to watch a movie.

I doubt that they’re consciously trying to move away from a cinematic universe. It’d be a bad look after they’ve ostensibly made at least 4 movies that are, to varying degrees, interconnected.

Suddenly pretending that other movies in the franchise don’t exist, without explicitly saying that that is their way of seeing things going forward, would be quite risky considering the cinematic audience of this era has been conditioned to see every superhero franchise as interconnected with its surroundings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BigglesSWE posted:

I doubt that they’re consciously trying to move away from a cinematic universe. It’d be a bad look after they’ve ostensibly made at least 4 movies that are, to varying degrees, interconnected.

Suddenly pretending that other movies in the franchise don’t exist, without explicitly saying that that is their way of seeing things going forward, would be quite risky considering the cinematic audience of this era has been conditioned to see every superhero franchise as interconnected with its surroundings.

The general movie going public isn’t actually that concerned with the integrity of cinematic movie universes. Many people alive today have watched a half dozen versions of Spider-Man’s origins and have no problem reconciling that in their brain.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The general movie going public isn’t actually that concerned with the integrity of cinematic movie universes. Many people alive today have watched a half dozen versions of Spider-Man’s origins and have no problem reconciling that in their brain.

I’m not convinced the big studio heads believe that tho.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ok so at the end reagan wished for nukes, so russia poo poo their pants and shot all their nukes, and then the US poo poo their pants and shot all their nukes, but they were wish nukes that went away when everyone walked back their wishes

except nobody in russia wished for nukes

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

BigglesSWE posted:

The real fun will be when the Snyder cut is released and some WB executives will have to decide which version is canon going forward.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/27/business/media/dc-superheroes-movies.html

The NYT did a piece on Hamada and in the article they said:

quote:

At least for now, Mr. Snyder is not part of the new DC Films blueprint, with studio executives describing his HBO Max project as a storytelling cul-de-sac — a street that leads nowhere.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

ok so at the end reagan wished for nukes, so russia poo poo their pants and shot all their nukes, and then the US poo poo their pants and shot all their nukes, but they were wish nukes that went away when everyone walked back their wishes

Changed my mind y’all WW84 is actually super leftist full communism now

https://youtu.be/U06jlgpMtQs

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pirate Jet posted:

They should have used this instead of Beautiful Lie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mr. Apollo posted:

They should have used this instead of Beautiful Lie.

I imagined this and quietly laughed to myself just now.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

i like to imagine none of the people pedro tricked into making wishes before the TV event have any idea what happened, so that one dude just never has to deal with traffic again for the rest of his life

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pirate Jet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Q9odWdO4M&t=94s

Also, this guy made a good point in his review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeieblTIw7A

English wasn't as widely spoken throughout the world in 1984. People would've seen Maxwell Lord on television and not understood a single thing he was telling them.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 29, 2020

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

BIG HEADLINE posted:

English wasn't as widely spoken throughout the world in 1984. People would've seen Maxwell Lord on television and not understood a single thing he was telling them.

He got the general to wish that his stunt would succeed.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Another thing that could've immeasurably made this movie better.

"I wish to find another love of my life *like* Steve Trevor."

It would've given them license to develop another character, like Nemesis (Thomas Tresser) or hell, make Steve *black* and use this train wreck scene from Wonder Woman: Earth One:

IMAGINE THE BAD PUBLICITY! :allears:

Also, reminder that in the comics, Diana went to work for the CIA and the CIA was too stupid to realize she *really looked like Wonder Woman* for a few decades because she...wore glasses and dressed in business suits.

Or hey...

"I wish that I could see Themyscira and my mother again."

(Themyscira's cloak of invisibility drops as the 'bad' part of the wish and suddenly the island and the Amazons on it are getting :heysexy:ed by the US and Soviet Union since all land has to be allied to ONE of them...)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 29, 2020

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Hahahahah omg I so want to see that in a movie, just for the apocalyptic reactions (which would be justified).

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Stairmaster posted:

do scientists still think the t-rex was a scavenger

All predators scavenge. All scavengers predate. Also deer will kill and eat a rabbit given a chance.

Don't get hung up on labels, nature is wild yo.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Chillgamesh posted:

Well even if the dead lady came back she didn't hear Diana's speech so the Irish are still screwed in the DC cinematic universe.

frgildan fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 29, 2020

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Cant wait for whatever horribly convoluted "reset" theyll almost definitely do with some multi-verse poo poo in The Flash in 2022.

Superman(man of steel 2) is definitely going to have some dumb poo poo dialogue like Clark meeting a new Lex Luthor and saying something like "Have we met?".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AccountSupervisor posted:

Cant wait for whatever horribly convoluted "reset" theyll almost definitely do with some multi-verse poo poo in The Flash in 2022.

Superman(man of steel 2) is definitely going to have some dumb poo poo dialogue like Clark meeting a new Lex Luthor and saying something like "Have we met?".

What are the odds JJ Abrams is gonna direct Man of Steel 2 now that he's in WB's stable with that gargantuan deal he signed with them?

I can't WAIT!

:shepicide:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

teagone posted:

What are the odds JJ Abrams is gonna direct Man of Steel 2 now that he's in WB's stable with that gargantuan deal he signed with them?

I can't WAIT!

Superman shepherding people from one running setpiece to the next. Heck, even Supes pounds some pavement. Where are they going? Who cares!

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

teagone posted:

I can't WAIT!

I feel like DC missed their shot of locking Gunn into being the brains behind their cinematic universe. We'd all be in line to get some weird fun movies.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

frgildan posted:

I feel like DC missed their shot of locking Gunn into being the brains behind their cinematic universe. We'd all be in line to get some weird fun movies.

Three Guardians-alikes a year for years sounds miserable. Cinematic universes are dumb, just hire good directors to provide different and interesting takes on characters.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Three Guardians-alikes a year for years sounds miserable. Cinematic universes are dumb, just hire good directors to provide different and interesting takes on characters.

Or maybe, get this, make your blockbusters not adaptations of other media.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

frgildan posted:

I'd rather George Miller would've directed Man of Steel 2 by now instead. I also want Ben Affleck's Batman movie.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Wasn’t the original plan for the DCEU? Snyder does his MoS, BvS, and JL series of movies and then they have other directors do spin off character and other character movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, there supposedly wasn't any sort of big, overarching narrative for DCEU films outside of Snyder's original 5-film run (MoS, BvS, JL1, JL2, JL3). They'd have some connective tissue between the movies, but it wouldn't affect any particular spinoff film's narrative—e.g., Diana receiving the BvS photo from Bruce in her first solo film [edit] I guess Suicide Squad sorta had a connected narrative with the original plan of including Steppenwolf and the motherboxes.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 29, 2020

Woden
May 6, 2006

teagone posted:

I'd rather George Miller would've directed Man of Steel 2 by now instead. I also want Ben Affleck's Batman movie.

I want Aronofsky's Batman where he's a mentally ill hobo living in an abandoned part of the subway.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Q9odWdO4M&t=94s

Also, this guy made a good point in his review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeieblTIw7A

I just watched this dude's Joker review and holy poo poo its the worst review on youtube ahaha

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

I liked the take that a modern Luthor would be a Zuckerberg type but hated the actual actor they had. Or at least the performance he gave.

You know what I haven't really seen much of? People forcefully defending the movie by decrying all criticism as politically motivated, whether because of the obvious Trump references or because of it being woman led. Even the defenses in this thread have amounted to 'it wasn't good, but it was at least entertaining' which is a perfectly fine point of view.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This poster over here has never seen Super

Nix Panicus posted:

I liked the take that a modern Luthor would be a Zuckerberg type but hated the actual actor they had. Or at least the performance he gave.

You know what I haven't really seen much of? People forcefully defending the movie by decrying all criticism as politically motivated, whether because of the obvious Trump references or because of it being woman led. Even the defenses in this thread have amounted to 'it wasn't good, but it was at least entertaining' which is a perfectly fine point of view.

The political points in this movie are way too badly made, incoherent, and sloppily expressed for anyone to defend them

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 29, 2020

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Shageletic posted:

The political points in this movie are way too badly made, incoherent, and sloppily expressed for anyone to defend them

That didn't stop the Ghostbusters reboot, which had no political points at all, from becoming a cultural battlefield. And honestly I'd sooner watch WW84 than Ghostbusters

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

teagone posted:

I can't WAIT!

ALL THE LENS FLARES!

ALL THE HEAD EXPLOSIONS BECAUSE FOR SOME REASON JJ DOES A LOT OF THAT MAYBE HE HAS A FETISH!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

One thing that I thought was weird was when Diana makes a big deal about Steve’s “gift” of flight and she says that she’ll never understand how he does it. But it’s just flying a plane. Something which was not a big deal by the mid-80s. I get that it was a setup for his bit about wind and air that would inspire her to fly later but it just seems like a weird way to set it up. Like why not do something like seeing airplanes and having a voice over of Steve saying “I will always love you where ever I am.”? She said that she could feel him whenever she saw a plane in the sky.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Mr. Apollo posted:

Wasn’t the original plan for the DCEU? Snyder does his MoS, BvS, and JL series of movies and then they have other directors do spin off character and other character movies.

Nah DC absolutely had a typical MCU style slate they were pushing for, although much more compact than the MCU with obvious plans for a post JL slate of films.

This is the original 2014 press release of the intended slate. The panic after BvS and the complete box office dud that JL was tanked this entire plan.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20141015006276/en/Warner-Bros.-Details-Strategic-Content-Plans-at-Time-Warner-Investor-Conference

WB posted:

And, in a massive expansion of the Studio’s DC Entertainment-branded content, Warner Bros. Pictures and New Line Cinema will release a slate of at least 10 movies—as well as stand-alone Batman and Superman films—from 2016 through 2020 that expands this prized universe of characters:

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” directed by Zack Snyder (2016)

“Suicide Squad,” directed by David Ayer (2016)

“Wonder Woman,” starring Gal Gadot (2017)

“Justice League Part One,” directed by Zack Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles (2017)

“The Flash,” starring Ezra Miller (2018)

“Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa (2018)

“Shazam” (2019)

“Justice League Part Two,” directed by Zack Snyder (2019)

“Cyborg,” starring Ray Fisher (2020)

“Green Lantern” (2020)

The irony of all of this is seeing where theyre at now, they probably would have spent less and made more money if they would have just stuck to the original vision.

Theyve made 9 movies....one of them TWICE with JL and BoP being the only one unplanned here....and have barely moved an inch on any intended franchise throughline. Its loving hilarious tbh and its going to be even funnier if Snydercut is a success and they pretend like nothing happened.

Also Id say Hamada calling Snyders JL a "cul-de-sac" is a big tell because theres a distinct difference between a dead end and a cul-de-sac...a cul-de-sac as a part of its very design allows you to circle back from where you came from.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Space Fish posted:

Superman shepherding people from one running setpiece to the next. Heck, even Supes pounds some pavement. Where are they going? Who cares!

All while trying to figure out what's inside a mysterious box.

What's in it? No one knows- not even Abrams!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm realizing I forgot a weird detail, I think there was a lingering shot of a red balloon floating away near the end of the movie... How are they gonna not actually use 99 Luftballons in a movie about the world almost erupting into nuclear war over a silly misunderstanding??

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Martman posted:

I'm realizing I forgot a weird detail, I think there was a lingering shot of a red balloon floating away near the end of the movie... How are they gonna not actually use 99 Luftballons in a movie about the world almost erupting into nuclear war over a silly misunderstanding??

It would not shock me in the slightest that they gave so little fucks that the HBO Max release has no music overlays while the THEATER release will.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Martman posted:

This kind of makes me feel like they must have had 80s music in the movie, then removed it before release. That really should have been playing over that scene.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Martman posted:

The girl holding the balloon is Gadot’s oldest daughter. The shot just before it with the guy holding a little girl on a merry go round is her husband and younger daughter.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Martman posted:

I was just sitting there waiting for her to fly up and get it back, but then nothing happened and it was a waste of time. Much like most of this movie.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
This movie has Spider-Man 3 syndrome, bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Or maybe, get this, make your blockbusters not adaptations of other media.

That would be excellent, but isn’t going to happen because that’s harder and riskier.