Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I wish the BotW map would maintain its region borders even after you've unlocked the towers from adjacent regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Speaking of age of calamity, are the complaints about its fps overblown or an actual deal breaker? I liked hyrule warriors and am used to musou slowdown but if it's exceptionally bad I'm perfectly fine not spending my money on the game

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
BotW is in a weird place for me because after finishing it I thought "That might be the greatest video game I've ever played" and yet if you ask me what my favorite Zelda is I'll say "Link to the Past" immediately and without hesitation.

Mr Snips posted:

Speaking of age of calamity, are the complaints about its fps overblown or an actual deal breaker? I liked hyrule warriors and am used to musou slowdown but if it's exceptionally bad I'm perfectly fine not spending my money on the game

I had no problems with the framerate personally outside of one mission at the end of the game (might even be postgame) with six Lynels where the framerate seriously went into single digits. But I play handheld exclusively so I don't notice that stuff as easily as someone who plays on a TV does.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Thanks, that's pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. I can deal with the odd slowdown if the rest of the game is mostly fine

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Imladris Faramir Rohan is becoming a chore real fast

I went to a new area and just felt sudden fatigue at the billions of chests and challenges and vaults splattered across the new section of the map

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is it even worth watching AoC's cutscenes on Youtube? How long would that take?

No. The story is very minimal like with BOTW. It’s worth playing though. I think it’s the best Warriors game yet.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Both lord of the rings card game and faeria need constant online to play, gently caress them

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

No. The story is very minimal like with BOTW. It’s worth playing though. I think it’s the best Warriors game yet.

I think if it were my first Warriors game I could do it, or if I could get for the 30-40 euro range, but I got burnt on the gameplay loop with HW1, and while its fun enough, it feels almost too transparent and I don't think I would enjoy it all the way through. The demo didn't feel particularly interesting and I don't want more of the same.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SeANMcBAY posted:

I would disagree it's the best Warriors game, but a lot of that is based on me liking the Musou games and being a bit disappointed that there's almost no map strategy involved, to the point there's not even a morale meter like in other games (since enemies will never aggressively try to take territory like they do in other games). It's still really good!

The story is minimal in how it affects the world as a whole, but it's very good and interesting as Zelda is the main character and outside of Link going from a grunt to the knight protecting her, he's essentially a side character who barely matters in the plot after chapter 2. I'd agree that it isn't worth watching cutscenes on Youtube for, but definitely worth playing if you can deal with a bit of framerate jank.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I read a review that summed it up pretty well by saying, roughly, "after trying for a long time to find literally anything bad about this game, all we came up with is that the protagonist is a bird and some people are afraid of birds."

:honk:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is it even worth watching AoC's cutscenes on Youtube? How long would that take?

I think those are normally referred to as "Congress briefings" or "press conferences" and I imagine she's done a lot of them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Len posted:

nothing, i personally need the icons on the map because exploring just to explore isn't a mechanic i enjoy

botw instead of making GBS threads icons on you asks you to pull open your scope at every tower and poo poo them out yourself!

looking at something cool off in the distance and marking it on your map yourself is a million times better than having the map automatically fill out with every single collectible and menial task until you can’t even see the map underneath all the garbage icons

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 29, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I despise Ubisoft open world games with a passion but loved BOTW

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Augus posted:

looking at something cool off in the distance and marking it on your map yourself is a million times better than having the map automatically fill out with every single collectible and menial task til you can’t even see the map underneath all the garbage icons
Now that I think about it this is probably the main gripe I have about the thing. There's not much discovering things, besides a few minibosses scattered about. You see stuff and it registers, tells you what it is, and you just go there when you want to.

It's not terrible it's just in BoTW I would climb somewhere and maybe there'd be something there, or maybe not, but I wouldn't know until I got there.

Neither is wrong or right I guess, it's just a big difference.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Botw and immoral: fentanyl dying both sound pretty good as exploration games but I really just want ring fit adventure to be in stock again so I can finally buy it :(

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Social Animal posted:

Ah thanks. I just beat the main quest last night, any good dungeons to check out? I just want dungeons where you can’t bring items in with you. It’s more exciting and I don’t have to worry about babying my upgraded stuff. Are they all in the dungeon center?

The dungeon center stuff is just the extra dungeons without any story tied to them - I think they were originally free dlc added post-release on the DS and Vita versions. There's a dozen or so dungeons that can be unlocked after you beat the main story, so if you don't mind spoilers about the unlock conditions here's the ones I'd recommend:

- Onigiri Hollow, unlocked by finishing Deichi's quest line (just keep talking to him after runs and finding the secrets he tells you about), then visiting Inari village - 20 floors, has a gimmick where rooms collapse after you enter them but the map is always revealed, which generally ends up helping the player.

- Pitfall of Life, unlocked by taking Koji to the top of the Tower of Fortune and Miracles - 28 floors, you can't gain any exp but items to boost your strength, max hp, and upgrade your gear all drop more often.

- Bizzare Tower, unlocked by taking Tao to the top of the Tower of Fortune, then encountering her at the Sparrow Inn and reaching the top of the Tower of Miracles - 45 floors, always day, you get to customize the dungeon by setting conditions for the next set of floors (stuff like "for the next 3 floors, only scrolls will drop", or "for the next 7 floors, every floor will have a monster house"). You can only use a condition once and you have to use all of them to reach the end.

- Primordial Chasm, unlocked by visiting the blacksmith in the Hermit's Hermitage - 50 floors, always day, no gimmicks

None of these dungeons let you bring in items or allies. Onigiri is probably the easiest if you just want to get your feet wet.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

GameStop sent me a switch lite instead of the 3DS I wanted. I keep putting in support tickets with no response - I might need to do a chargeback lol

If any of y'all have a New 3DSXL or a 2DSXL to sell to a guy that wants to play OoT and Majoras Mask with his kid, hmu

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nintendo, put OOT and MM on the switch please

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
They can't just lift and shift the 3ds ports because of how they use the touchscreen, and I'm also pretty sure they'd want to update the models and textures given that the 3ds is 400x240 and the switch gets played on 60" TVs sometimes.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Just wait for zelda 3d all stars next year

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Twerk from Home posted:

They can't just lift and shift the 3ds ports because of how they use the touchscreen, and I'm also pretty sure they'd want to update the models and textures given that the 3ds is 400x240 and the switch gets played on 60" TVs sometimes.

Tvs have pretty good upscaling even on game mode, the ones that don't have very good upscaling is pc monitors.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Just wait for zelda 3d all stars next year

Absolutely not, we just finished A Link to the Past together (first time for both of us) and he can't stop talking about the triforce. I'm gonna strike while the iron is hot and make some good vidya gaming memories

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Throw 400x240 at god’s finest TV and tell me how good that 4K upscale looks

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I can send you guys a Wii if you want. that can play every main Zelda up to Skyward Sword.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Achmed Jones posted:

GameStop sent me a switch lite instead of the 3DS I wanted. I keep putting in support tickets with no response - I might need to do a chargeback lol

If any of y'all have a New 3DSXL or a 2DSXL to sell to a guy that wants to play OoT and Majoras Mask with his kid, hmu

Mod the lite and emulate the 64 versions

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Achmed Jones posted:

Absolutely not, we just finished A Link to the Past together (first time for both of us) and he can't stop talking about the triforce. I'm gonna strike while the iron is hot and make some good vidya gaming memories

In that case, consider getting (or dusting off) the wiiu, I believe it has the most access to past zelda games including gba and ds titles

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I started Ori and the Blind Forest, it’s beautiful, I feel like I’m playing an animated movie

More forgiving than Hollow Knight too, because there’s practically no penalty for death and I can create my own checkpoints

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I love Hollow Knight, but it really just has the Dark Souls death mechanic for no reason.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I think those are normally referred to as "Congress briefings" or "press conferences" and I imagine she's done a lot of them.

:v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Augus posted:

looking at something cool off in the distance and marking it on your map yourself is a million times better than having the map automatically fill out with every single collectible and menial task until you can’t even see the map underneath all the garbage icons

Subjective, after the xth time I climbed a mountain for 5 arrows I checked the BotW interactive map to see if it was worth my time

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

nrook posted:

I love Hollow Knight, but it really just has the Dark Souls death mechanic for no reason.

Seriously, it felt so pointless

Just take out the soul-cap loss and reduce the money penalty for dying and you have a more streamlined game

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's very sad that we're going to get the next BotW and probably last Zelda game for years on and designed for the Switch and not the new Switch 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shammypants posted:

It's very sad that we're going to get the next BotW and probably last Zelda game for years on and designed for the Switch and not the new Switch 2.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was one of the first games to have expanded New Super Switch Pro functionality.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I bet it the cart will taste like candy when you lick it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shammypants posted:

According to 4chan highly reliable leakers it's a Switch 2 title

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Because BotW lags in the Korok forest, and the game will be severely limited by criminally underpowered hardware?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Achmed Jones posted:

the 3d zeldas were really, REALLY hard, not so much because of bad design but more because they were still learning and figuring out how they wanted to do 3d zelda games, so i'm not sure if they're the best choice. the remakes tighten it up a bit, but they're still the same games at heart, warts and all. what about, like, minish cap or the oracle games, are either of these an option?

e: go all out, get a gamecube and some gbas and co-op four swords adventures

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 29, 2020

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
just do it like pcs or now other consoles do and have different graphical settings for the two switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lol I missed this leak from September