Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
This is very subjective, but I think Doom Eternal has a bit of a problem with taking itself too seriously. Doom 2016's story, such as it was, was fairly minimalist and didn't go all-in on silly jokes and such, just the occasiona "no and also gently caress you" such as smashing the energy valves while Monotone Robot Man just goes "what stop no please what are you doing" in the background.

Doom Eternal just... kind of overdoes things, is how I suppose I'd put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looking for a shooter with RPG elements. I've played Borderlands 3, the Doom series, Warframe, and Remnant as much as I want to, and while I enjoyed Destiny 1, I've got a certain amount of trepidation about Destiny 2 - I'm coming in late, so I don't know how much the early content is still played, and I like being able to do a complete story in order, and it had a reputation at release as microtransaction hell.

Any thoughts on any goodies I might want to go for?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

The whole story just sucks and it feels like we missed a whole game in between 2016 and D:E.

Yeah 100%

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Looking for a shooter with RPG elements.

Prey
Rage 2
Cyberpunk
Wolfenstein Youngblood

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Prey
Rage 2
Cyberpunk
Wolfenstein Youngblood

Those are all good, then? Think I might hold off on Cyberpunk until it's playable on the PS4 (or I get a PS5). Also, as mentioned, microtransaction dependence is a big turnoff. I want to earn my upgrades, not just buy them.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sakurazuka posted:

Feels weird that you never see any of the Earth invasion and it just starts up well after it happened.

Its not that weird, it takes place just before and during doom 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Those are all good, then? Think I might hold off on Cyberpunk until it's playable on the PS4 (or I get a PS5).

All good!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I see you all begging for a VJ doom lore dump so you gain the int skill up to understand the deep and nuanced doom eternal story

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jesus gently caress no

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Darth Walrus posted:

Those are all good, then? Think I might hold off on Cyberpunk until it's playable on the PS4 (or I get a PS5). Also, as mentioned, microtransaction dependence is a big turnoff. I want to earn my upgrades, not just buy them.

Prey is pretty good, Rage 2.... Is a game that exists. The shooting is fun, but unfortunately it takes place in a big empty open world with large amounts of gently caress all in between the things to have fun shootouts with, and the plot is essentially a series of fetch quests that is simultaneously too short and also bizarrely padded.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Uh, I would skip Youngblood, it was very poorly received and kinda sucks, but Prey/RAGE2 are both excellent choices I highly recomend

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i want to play this on my console. the sprite based guns and enemies are sick af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tclxsLRVa2A

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would go for Far Cry 5 + New Dawn over Rage 2, just gotta ignore the story in the first of those lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The only lore dump you need in a doom game is to “dump” a lor’ (“lot” to non-British Islers) of bullets into the faces of the demons

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

Looking for a shooter with RPG elements. I've played Borderlands 3, the Doom series, Warframe, and Remnant as much as I want to, and while I enjoyed Destiny 1, I've got a certain amount of trepidation about Destiny 2 - I'm coming in late, so I don't know how much the early content is still played, and I like being able to do a complete story in order, and it had a reputation at release as microtransaction hell.

Any thoughts on any goodies I might want to go for?
The first year of Destiny 2 content was completely jettisoned this past November and it now has a completely different opening couple of hours. It's literally no longer possible to play the first 3 campaigns.

The good news is that this means "do people still play the content?" isn't a going concern, but the bad news is... the story is going to be total nonsense because the new opening campaign is a weird half-retread of Destiny 1's opening few hours before it goes into years 2, 3 and 4 of Destiny 2. Characters will meet fates that you won't give a poo poo about because you've not even done anything with them to make you give a poo poo. And outside of the yearly expansion campaign, Destiny 2 has live seasons of story/content which aren't playable after they end so there's even more years of stuff that you simply can't see and play anymore leading up to where the story currently is. It's a loving mess.

Having said all of that, only weirdos come to Destiny for the story. The gameplay is good, even if I dropped off very hard from the new expansion because I loving hate the new subclasses...

Akuma fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 29, 2020

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Uh, I would skip Youngblood, it was very poorly received and kinda sucks, but Prey/RAGE2 are both excellent choices I highly recomend

Yeah it sucks because:

Hopper posted:

The dumbest thing about Youngblood is they tuned ammo and weapon usability to the extend that they created a bloody puzzle game with a specific choreography of moves you need to follow instead of a fun shooter where you can go hog wild and relax while ripping and tearing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Prey is excellent. Rage 2 is pretty much exactly what Sikboy says.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah but when you have all your superpowers and guns upgraded RAGE2 is extremely fun (it's by the same people who made DOOM and you can tell there is a ton of DOOM DNA in RAGE2)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Rage 2 is an amazing engine and combat system stapled onto the most boring game I've ever played

It's legitimately baffling how bland and mediocre everything is. Remember that Mad Max game and how it had this weird sort of blandness to it? Rage 2 makes Mad Max look like Horizon

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i want to play this on my console. the sprite based guns and enemies are sick af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tclxsLRVa2A

I hadn't heard of this until the DF vid you posted last night but it looks absolutely awesome. It's the first time I have seen one of the these old school FPS revival games do something different with the style vs just rigidly sticking to making it look like it came out in 1995. The result is a pretty cool mix of old and new.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I hadn't heard of this until the DF vid you posted last night but it looks absolutely awesome. It's the first time I have seen one of the these old school FPS revival games do something different with the style vs just rigidly sticking to making it look like it came out in 1995. The result is a pretty cool mix of old and new.

:same: , it's exactly what I want out of a DOOM style game after Eternal's awful worldbuilding cutscenes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Akuma posted:

The first year of Destiny 2 content was completely jettisoned this past November and it now has a completely different opening couple of hours. It's literally no longer possible to play the first 3 campaigns.

The good news is that this means "do people still play the content?" isn't a going concern, but the bad news is... the story is going to be total nonsense

I played Destiny 2 basically at launch and the story was total nonsense then as well :v:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Akuma posted:

Lol what the gently caress???

I downloaded it because it's free now, uh, what actual content am I supposed to do before hitting the paywall locked content????

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Simone Magus posted:

The strongest tool in your Obra Dinn arsenal is knowledge of racial stereotypes

(I'm kidding, the game owns, but seriously pay attention to accents)

Well, there was actually one fate I couldn't figure out until I made some changes and then realized, oh, I had made a racial assumption there that I shouldn't have... I wanted to blame it on my expectations of the time period lol

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Bust Rodd posted:

Thanks Persona goons, I really don’t understand what most of that means but I’ve got all your posts saved on my phone and I’ll be referencing them.

In the game you will be presented romance options. Only 1 of those options:

A. Breaks societal norms

B. Breaks school rules

C. Needs a lawyer to comment on legality

D. Get her fired and you expelled

E. Getting expelled violates your parole

So obviously this is the best option

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Klisejo posted:

In the game you will be presented romance options. Only 1 of those options:

A. Breaks societal norms

B. Breaks school rules

C. Needs a lawyer to comment on legality

D. Get her fired and you expelled

E. Getting expelled violates your parole

So obviously this is the best option

The only romance options even worth considering are her and the punk doctor imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

sex the teacher up imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sex the teacher up imo

I have a girlfriend, sorry

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have a girlfriend, sorry

the game told me i had a girlfriend already, and yet, when the time came to choose my words carefully there was still no turning back, we got heavy in my apartment above the coffeeshop

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's like Riverdale in game form.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Red Pill Persona 5 Royal.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

sex the teacher up imo

Yes, always

Actually, this time I'm prolly gonna romance everyone

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

GreenNight posted:

It's like Riverdale in game form.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just started playing days gone. Is it one of these games where all collectibles and activities naturally show up on the map? Or do i have to hit up Google and work from a picture to navigate to everything?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kin posted:

Just started playing days gone. Is it one of these games where all collectibles and activities naturally show up on the map? Or do i have to hit up Google and work from a picture to navigate to everything?

Stuff will show up.You may have to buy maps for some of it it's been a while so I don't remember 100%. Either way it's not a google to find things game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Really enjoying this Doom Eternal DLC. I’m on the swamp level now and I like looking for all the secrets.

I know obviously Cyberpunk isn’t primarily an FPS but the difference in how this Doom feels is pretty crazy, the jump to 60fps coupled with the faster speed feels like playing in fast-forward.

I think Eternal and CoD MW2019 are the absolute gold standard in console shooters in terms of how they feel to play. Input lag is at an absolute minimum and they’ve tuned the controls really well.

I think I’m enjoying this DLC more than the main game tbh.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Yes, always

I :3:ed when Ann said she loved me, it was so out of the blue and sweet

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 29, 2020

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm normally a big codex reader but I've seen very little I care less about that the Doom Eternal story

opposite for me. i know this sounds incredibly lazy, but if there are big walls of text to read and not a spoken audio-log thing, i usually ignore it. doom eternal's story isn't fantastic by any means, but it revolves around some campy/cheesy lore regarding heaven, hell, gods, demons, and astral beings that strikes the right balance of Aliens marines and Event Horizon demonic poo poo.

the gameplay is exciting and fluid when you learn how to nail it, and the lore reinforces that you are this singular being capable of destroying the armies of hell. the doom franchise has been around for decades and the backstory can be either completely ignored or you can dive right in and appreciate that they're trying to add weight to a character that has lasted this long in video game history. if that's not cooler than pretending you're a dweeby high school kid trying to gently caress his teacher then idk man...

if nothing else, the artwork alone accompanying the doom lore is awesome and worth paying attention to.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Akuma posted:

The good news is that this means "do people still play the content?" isn't a going concern, but the bad news is... the story is going to be total nonsense because the new opening campaign is a weird half-retread of Destiny 1's opening few hours before it goes into years 2, 3 and 4 of Destiny 2. Characters will meet fates that you won't give a poo poo about because you've not even done anything with them to make you give a poo poo. And outside of the yearly expansion campaign, Destiny 2 has live seasons of story/content which aren't playable after they end so there's even more years of stuff that you simply can't see and play anymore leading up to where the story currently is. It's a loving mess.

Having said all of that, only weirdos come to Destiny for the story. The gameplay is good, even if I dropped off very hard from the new expansion because I loving hate the new subclasses...

This explains a lot I started it out the other day and was super lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Simone Magus posted:

Yes, always

There are special consequences for this at the end, unlike in previous Personas. (Did P4G do anything to catch the player out for dating multiple girls?)