Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think wilder absolutely has the personality. He’s always hilarious in promotional content.

This is pretty cynical but I always felt like he would have become a much bigger star in America if he had started kneeling for the anthem when that started going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Jump King posted:

I think wilder absolutely has the personality. He’s always hilarious in promotional content.

This is pretty cynical but I always felt like he would have become a much bigger star in America if he had started kneeling for the anthem when that started going on.

Just to be clear you mean when Colin Kaepernick started doing this in the fall of 2016 correct?

Also, Merry Christmas everyone :)

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jump King posted:

He's not charismaless, but he's not nearly the personality of a Tyson or Ali.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Can I get a boxing thread probation please :)

Sergey Kovalev illegally streaming Canelo-Smith is awesome btw because my guess would be it didn't occur to Kovalev that it'd be illegal.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Seen unforgivable blackness, 2004 film based on the book by the same name? I read the book but if the film is in any way a worthy adaptation I'd call it must see.

I have not. I will go check it out thanks. I assume it's about Jack Johnson?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I realize that this is very :can: but I do wonder how much of him being overlooked is racism

Mayweather Jr. and Tiger Woods are two of the wealthiest athletes in history.

There's such a long history of wildly successful black athletes in boxing and elsewhere that I think you have to pin it on the sport simply declining in popularity stateside.

Wilder still made $28,000,000 minimum for the second Fury fight. Don't worry about him.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hosed THOSE FESTIVE PROBATIONS RIGHT UP. :cripes:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Just to be clear you mean when Colin Kaepernick started doing this in the fall of 2016 correct?

Also, Merry Christmas everyone :)

Yeah, I know that isn’t the first time somebody ever kneeled for the anthem but any time somebody started doing it they got a lot of buzz, and Wilder got a lot of eyes for his “to this day” speech so I think he’d have been able to carry through that just fine.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

Yeah, I know that isn’t the first time somebody ever kneeled for the anthem but any time somebody started doing it they got a lot of buzz, and Wilder got a lot of eyes for his “to this day” speech so I think he’d have been able to carry through that just fine.

I agree with the principle that Wilder could've something to try and stand out but I'm not if that sure that would've been it. It was really viewed negatively when Kaepernick started kneeling and it took until this Summer for pro racial justice stances like BLM to be perceived positively by the mainstream. If Wilder started kneelilng or doing something similar I fear he would've been just considered 'that angry black boxer'.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

I agree with the principle that Wilder could've something to try and stand out but I'm not if that sure that would've been it. It was really viewed negatively when Kaepernick started kneeling and it took until this Summer for pro racial justice stances like BLM to be perceived positively by the mainstream. If Wilder started kneelilng or doing something similar I fear he would've been just considered 'that angry black boxer'.

Consider that the most successful boxers have not been the most beloved.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

Consider that the most successful boxers have not been the most beloved.

Yes but boxing was in a very different place in the Ali and Tyson eras. And it took years for Floyd-and a complete change in personality- to become a star. lf started kneeling for the national anthem I'm not sure how many people would notice if he did this before (at that time) like the Johann Duhapas and Gerald Washington fights.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Yes but boxing was in a very different place in the Ali and Tyson eras. And it took years for Floyd-and a complete change in personality- to become a star. lf started kneeling for the national anthem I'm not sure how many people would notice if he did this before (at that time) like the Johann Duhapas and Gerald Washington fights.

I think floyd's personality change was basically to be less likeable though, people tuned in to see him lose. I think it would have got press attention, and subsequently a bunch of people would have opinions about it. You'd get guys who didn't like it being haters, saying Deontay can't boxed and is overhyped etc, which would just build him up more imo. All publicity is good publicity.

Ultimately its irrelevant, and even if it would have worked I'm essentially advocating the kind of dubious idea of promoting yourself off of social causes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Deontae Wilder peaked with his fight against Charlie Zelenoff.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Kirkland just got annihilated on the PBC card tonight. It was sad to see.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Rags to Liches posted:

https://twitter.com/PBConFOX/status/1343011547531108352

:(

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Rags to Liches posted:

was just joking about the ishida fight before this one started and then it happened again

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any good fights on the upcoming Japan card (obviously specific to the Boxing one)?

https://twitter.com/delisketo/status/1342618239482912772?s=21

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Any good fights on the upcoming Japan card (obviously specific to the Boxing one)?

https://twitter.com/delisketo/status/1342618239482912772?s=21

Yeah the main and comain are both good fights

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jump King posted:

Yeah the main and comain are both good fights

Cool, it’s neat that Japan will be having awesome NYE fights on both ends (MMA/Boxing).

Any idea how you can see the event in the US (or IPPV)?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/ManoukAkopyan/status/1342950336986718208

Looks like Canelo will get his mandatory out of the way first. Good shout on a short turnaround I suppose

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The SituAsian posted:

Looks like Canelo will get his mandatory out of the way first. Good shout on a short turnaround I suppose

who?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/stevekim323/status/1343737849560977408?s=21

I like Porter but let’s cut to Spence-Bud please

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The SituAsian posted:

Why do they need a stadium

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Sounds like Canelo's next fight post-Yildirim will be Billy Joe Saunders. Hopefully Saunders can avoid loving up in his personal life long enough for that fight to actually happen.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i like the saunders fight. i think stylistically it's the fight i want to see canelo in most. if canelo blows out saunders i can't think of another relevant fight for him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

i like the saunders fight. i think stylistically it's the fight i want to see canelo in most. if canelo blows out saunders i can't think of another relevant fight for him.

Jake Paul, hopefully.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Jake Paul, hopefully.

i want the internet out of boxing really badly but if canelo beats saunders let him bash jake paul or whoever like mayweather is currently doing. he's earned it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Sounds like Canelo's next fight post-Yildirim will be Billy Joe Saunders. Hopefully Saunders can avoid loving up in his personal life long enough for that fight to actually happen.

Super juice fight.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Hopefully Saunders can avoid loving up in his personal life long enough for that fight to actually happen.

and then get killed in the ring, and I mean literally

BJS is a complete piece of poo poo as a person

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Slightly related to boxing (let’s see if anyone figures it out first before I say why) I picked this up yesterday. Some friends handled the restoration and production of the disc, and also are some of the most knowledgeable Abbott and Costello people on the planet (you may have even heard them then on a recent Gilbert Gottfried podcast).

https://www.classicflix.com/blog/2020/01/20/africa-screams-exclusive-special-limited-edition-in-april

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Marching Powder posted:

If Canelo beats Saunders, he'll have the WBC, WBA, and WBO titles. Might as well fight IBF titleholder Caleb Plant at the end of the year to fully unify at 168.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Cigar Aficionado posted:

If Canelo beats Saunders, he'll have the WBC, WBA, and WBO titles. Might as well fight IBF titleholder Caleb Plant at the end of the year to fully unify at 168.

If canelo pulls that off, what a great year 2021 would be for him. I hope he attempts it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

unfortunately caleb plant is trying to return a dvd to blockbuster that's 15 years overdue and the shop shuttered 14 years ago so he will be unavailable to defend

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What no fans of Max and Buddy Baer? :colbert:

Anyway besides ESPN (which I have) and DAZN (which I don’t) are there any good other boxing sources I’m not aware of?

Also are the various boxing groups still hilariously corrupt or anything good been made in that direction in the last year?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

MazelTovCocktail posted:

What no fans of Max and Buddy Baer? :colbert:

Anyway besides ESPN (which I have) and DAZN (which I don’t) are there any good other boxing sources I’m not aware of?

Also are the various boxing groups still hilariously corrupt or anything good been made in that direction in the last year?

NBCSN started up their own thursday night thing, the couple of cards I watched were pretty decent.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Mr. F! posted:

If canelo pulls that off, what a great year 2021 would be for him. I hope he attempts it

Would be a great accomplishment for sure, especially considering that there were people saying he may be too small for 160 when he originally moved up to fight GGG. I'm more interested to see what he does after that. He would have essentially cleaned out 168. Maybe he moves to 175 afterwards, but it is difficult for me to see a 5'8 former welterweight dominating at light heavyweight. And 175 is also completely devoid of big names as well, although Beterbiev and Bivol of course would be potential opponents.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick question is there a super heavy weight division or open weights or is that still the domain of Japan and states without “Athletic Commissions”?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I know Ali's condition was one of the big turning points for public opinion on boxing but I'm curious if there is a good read on him post retirement before the Parkinson's diagnosis if that makes sense

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

So I know Ali's condition was one of the big turning points for public opinion on boxing but I'm curious if there is a good read on him post retirement before the Parkinson's diagnosis if that makes sense

I think it was also being supremely hosed over by Don King, so probably an article or book dealing with that (which sadly I don’t know of any offhand) would be a good starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Kosei Tanaka was unable to become the fastest ever four weight world champion when he was stopped by Kazuto Ioka in Japan. Ioka is now in prime position to fight either Srisaket Sor Rungviasi or the winner of the Roman Gonzalez - Juan Francisco Estrada rematch to unify super flyweight.

https://twitter.com/corey_erdman/status/1344583865189490688

Also a white woman with cornrows got knocked the gently caress out in a South Carolina parking lot (I guess a while ago, but this is the first time I'm seeing it)

https://twitter.com/TimBoxeo/status/1344730747882647555

Both remind me equally of why I love boxing. Happy new year everyone :toot:

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 1, 2021