Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Xad posted:

I would be very down for that or something like Monster Hunter's Hunting Horn, where you beat the poo poo out of monsters using a giant bagpipe/harp/guitar/whatever while also playing it in their face

Also machinist should be able to brain people with the wrench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

Every melee job but MNK has a useless ranged attack, give ranged jobs a useless melee attack. Healers too, let me hit a motherfucker with some holy pocket sand.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

RME posted:

Let's just undo the changes and give bard foe's requiem, refresh, extra crit scaling, and give casters mana shift again. Piercing debuff can stay dead

Eh, the main reason they revamped the extra crit scaling was so that Bard wouldn't be lame with procs at the start of the expansion and absolutely nuts at the end of it. Plus, combining Straight Shot and Reflugent was a good move. They can miss me with Apex Arrow though, give me something else to do with Soul Voice or give me a much better looking attack.

Everyone has near infinite mana these days outside of probably deaths in savage so eh, but yeah, give back Foes Requiem. I still advocate for Palisade but just have it be a shield and not just physical damage.

SB Bard was the best the class ever was and ShB is... not quite bow mage levels of weird, but it's not very satisfying these days if you're doing limp support and limp damage

RME
Feb 20, 2012

oh yeah we should get pallisade and apoc back too, those were fun to use

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Every single drg button should be a jump or you pretending to be a dragon and summoning your dragon fursona to do claw attacks or breathe fire. All this lancer poo poo, we're done with it.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I played up to Leviathan when the game first came out and I just jumped back in for the free trial to play with some friends and scratch my MMO itch.

I just finished all of the ARR content in a few (long) days and am about to jump into Heavensward tomorrow.

So far all I've done is the main story questline, my class questline, my class hunting log, and all of the guildhests.

Question 1: Is there anything else I should be worried about on my grind to 80 that I'll regret having not done when I get there? Or just level up as fast as possible and worry about everything else after (crafting, reputations, etc).

Question 2: Shamefully I am skipping a lot of story content and want to get caught up. Who has the best story / lore videos for keeping me on track?

My end goal is to be doing endgame raiding, if that informs any of the answers.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

OddObserver posted:

I just read a playthrough of FFVI, give them a chainsaw imo

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It’s a 250 hour long jrpg. Do you want to play a 250 hour long jrpg?

The high end raiding scene isn’t going anywhere until Fall 2021 when 6.0 comes out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every single drg button should be a jump or you pretending to be a dragon and summoning your dragon fursona to do claw attacks or breathe fire. All this lancer poo poo, we're done with it.

I think LNC -> DRG is the biggest jump ( :v: ) in power and cool level between class and job... (for comparison, ROG -> NIN is portrayed more as just a different specialization of techniques and the rogues can at least pull their weight)

Edit also storywise (LNC/ROG spoilers) the rogues stop a terrorist attack on Limsa while the lancers are just dealing with their own hobbled internal corruption and dysfunction lol

I don't think you ever see any lancers elsewhere in the world outside of getting owned by ixal in low-level FATES

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 29, 2020

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Phone posted:

Do you want to play a 250 hour long jrpg?

Absolutely not. I want to play with my friends (sooner than later) and I want to also enjoy the story and it's hard to reconcile those two things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Eox posted:

Every melee job but MNK has a useless ranged attack, give ranged jobs a useless melee attack. Healers too, let me hit a motherfucker with some holy pocket sand.

Me futilely throwing knives at the boss just outside of a point blank aoe: NO DOWNTIME

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
If MCH gets a chainsaw i want to shoot it, not swing it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

Absolutely not. I want to play with my friends (sooner than later) and I want to also enjoy the story and it's hard to reconcile those two things.

Just buy story skips and then ng+ the story I guess then.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

fullroundaction posted:

Well, you can do both. You can completely skip the story up to the latest expansion by buying these skips from the store, and then do it in new game+ at your leisure while you rush towards the endgame. You can also skip leveling a class, and those on sale right now!

e: Oh wait you only need this one skip actually, they stack.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Sick, I did not know these things. Thanks.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

I played up to Leviathan when the game first came out and I just jumped back in for the free trial to play with some friends and scratch my MMO itch.

I just finished all of the ARR content in a few (long) days and am about to jump into Heavensward tomorrow.

So far all I've done is the main story questline, my class questline, my class hunting log, and all of the guildhests.

Question 1: Is there anything else I should be worried about on my grind to 80 that I'll regret having not done when I get there? Or just level up as fast as possible and worry about everything else after (crafting, reputations, etc).

Question 2: Shamefully I am skipping a lot of story content and want to get caught up. Who has the best story / lore videos for keeping me on track?

My end goal is to be doing endgame raiding, if that informs any of the answers.

There are raids, optional dungeons, and optional trials at end of every expansion, but you can do them later (with scaled down levels) just as well.
Of course, that also means that your L80 friends could play through some of it with you right now, too, though it won't help them grind end-game stuff.
(A lot of it is fun, though, including via random matching!).

(Most optional stuff loot for < L80 isn't really worth much beyond aesthetics, though, since tomestone equipment for 50/60/70 is affordable and close to best for the
level; though doing it will give you the tomestones in the first place).

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Is there a way in-game to see all the available quests plus the ones that you have “available” but don’t currently meet the prerequisite factors? Like I can jump area to area and look at the Recommended list to see what’s there, but is there some way to see like all the WoH quests that are available or if I left a job quest somewhere because I want the right level?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

don't use bots to sell your poo poo, folks! :haw:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

don't use bots to sell your poo poo, folks! :haw:

What exactly happened here? Why did the one sell for 1.8MM?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was selling a saw, and I noticed another seller was consistently undercutting me by a set amount, each time it was minutes after I adjusted the price on mine. On a whim I dropped my price to 60k and like clockwork, the seller dropped theirs to 59,994, so I pulled mine off the MB and bought that one for cheapo.

This has now happened 3 times; they have not figured it out yet.

On an unrelated note if anyone needs an HQ Aesthete's Saw for 59,994 hmu :v:

e: no idea with the 1.8mil one, I'm assuming it was fully pentamelded

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

OddObserver posted:

they used to be able to hurl it as a damage debuff

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CYBEReris posted:

they used to be able to hurl it as a damage debuff

I'm beginning to suspect that all of the best abilities in the game conceptually have been removed because they were basically worthless.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/RWilkes94/status/1330273669000663040

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Doesn't BRD do comparable damage to MCH now?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Doesn't BRD do comparable damage to MCH now?

Looking at e10s which has full uptime for BRD and MCH, their damage is pretty comparable, about 200-300 dps difference.

https://www.fflogs.com/zone/statistics/38#boss=74

There's almost 50% more parses for MCH though (BRD's tied with BLM as the "least popular" DPS).

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Eox posted:

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Fluid_Aura

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cicadalek posted:

I just read a playthrough of FFVI, give them a chainsaw imo

That'll be the 90 Capstone ability. Drill becomes Chainsaw.

I was actually thinking about that earlier, one of my raid buddies was talking about how "The Blackest Night, but partywide" would be cool, and my first reaction was "That would be crazy OP. It'd be a cool ability for 90 though."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If we get chainsaw I suspect it will be a add on to Queen

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Systematic System posted:

Looking at e10s which has full uptime for BRD and MCH, their damage is pretty comparable, about 200-300 dps difference.

https://www.fflogs.com/zone/statistics/38#boss=74

There's almost 50% more parses for MCH though (BRD's tied with BLM as the "least popular" DPS).

Even here BRD's max dps is higher than MCH because it has a higher ceiling if you have a high performing group due to the nature of raid buffs.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I mostly just want to know what the level cap will be for the expansion after the next one. 100 is the obvious answer, but I feel like capping at 99 is kind of iconic.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
limsa.jpg

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Eox posted:

I didn't even realize Summoner had an automelee attack until I got too close to an enemy and brained him with my big nerd book, so I support this.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Zutaten posted:

I didn't even realize Summoner had an automelee attack until I got too close to an enemy and brained him with my big nerd book, so I support this.

You don't get constant "not within range for that attack" notifications? I get that poo poo all the time with RDM. also, I now basically play RDM as a melee that can occasionally attack from afar when someone's throwing fire at me

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

hazardousmouse posted:

You don't get constant "not within range for that attack" notifications? I get that poo poo all the time with RDM. also, I now basically play RDM as a melee that can occasionally attack from afar when someone's throwing fire at me

this is the correct way to be playing all ranged jobs anyway

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

the_steve posted:

I was actually thinking about that earlier, one of my raid buddies was talking about how "The Blackest Night, but partywide" would be cool, and my first reaction was "That would be crazy OP. It'd be a cool ability for 90 though."

I mean, it's called Shake It Off and Divine Veil.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

hazardousmouse posted:

I just hang out at the range where my MP cost numbers on the hotbar icons go from NO red to DO IT blue (i think). I think I've internalized the exact amount of fake-metres I can be away from the enemy, because it hasn't been an issue yet. I only do normal-level content though, I would assume high-end stuff requires more positional awareness.

Edit: I should really practice Scholar more, it seems pretty fun. I just have Healer Anxiety

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 29, 2020

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

the_steve posted:

That'll be the 90 Capstone ability. Drill becomes Chainsaw.

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Succor

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zutaten posted:

I just hang out at the range where my MP cost numbers on the hotbar icons go from NO red to DO IT blue (i think). I think I've internalized the exact amount of fake-metres I can be away from the enemy, because it hasn't been an issue yet. I only do normal-level content though, I would assume high-end stuff requires more positional awareness.

Edit: I should really practice Scholar more, it seems pretty fun. I just have Healer Anxiety

By hanging out at max range all the time, you probably miss out on a lot of group buffs, and you also make it harder for your healer to heal you. Unless there's a mechanic that requires you to be way the gently caress out, it's almost always a better idea to stay stacked with the group.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Fister Roboto posted:

By hanging out at max range all the time, you probably miss out on a lot of group buffs, and you also make it harder for your healer to heal you. Unless there's a mechanic that requires you to be way the gently caress out, it's almost always a better idea to stay stacked with the group.

also there's a whole bunch of mechanics like all the left/right attacks or donuts where you'll probably eat poo poo if you weren't in melee range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Fister Roboto posted:

This makes sense. I'm usually not the only one way out there though, but it makes sense and I appreciate the advice.