Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Can anyone recommend a good single-player dungeon crawler where you control a party of characters that isnt turn-based?

I really want to like the new wave of D&D style games, Baulders Gate 3, Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, etc, but they always become so boring by the tenth battle and I mentally check out. Gimme another Dungeon Siege where I can just relax and progress and watch my heroes beat up goblins without constant direct input from me.

Oh, and not action-rpg like diablo and grim dawn. Those are great games but not what I'm looking for right now.

Yeah, Grimrock 1/2 are exactly what you're describing but might not be the kind of Might & Magic-esque dungeon-crawler games you're thinking of? Also, StarCrawlers is in the same vein but sci-fi, and Aeon of Sands is post-apocalyptic with some CYOA stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Didn't Starcrawlers have turn-based combat?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Probably, my only experience with it is watching it sit on my wishlist for ages.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Valve's big thing this sale is that you can buy a bigger showcase to better display your achievements. The storefront page usually had a nice evolving theme, but that after a week of it looking the same as usual, well... This sale is officially rather lame compared to all the previous ones.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Looking for an online RPG to play with 3-5 of my friends. Any recommendations out there?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Not a Children posted:

Looking for an online RPG to play with 3-5 of my friends. Any recommendations out there?

You mean MMO? The gold standard is Final Fantasy XIV.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

FFXIV?
edit: beaten, but yeah: FFXIV.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

AngryBooch posted:

Dungeon Siege is proto-clicker game. Maybe look at Idle Champions.

Lol I've already put like 200 hours into that game.

treat posted:

Yeah, Grimrock 1/2 are exactly what you're describing but might not be the kind of Might & Magic-esque dungeon-crawler games you're thinking of? Also, StarCrawlers is in the same vein but sci-fi, and Aeon of Sands is post-apocalyptic with some CYOA stuff.

Oh poo poo I think I might have misspoke when I said dungeon crawler, I didn't realize that was a specific genre.

I was looking for top-down, third person style action-rpg.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Oh poo poo I think I might have misspoke when I said dungeon crawler, I didn't realize that was a specific genre.
Oh yeah, it definitely is. I don't know if you've ever heard of the Wizardry series, but if you do, then these days "dungeon crawler" means basically "any game vaguely like that."

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Not a Children posted:

Saoshyant posted:

You mean MMO? The gold standard is Final Fantasy XIV.

Just as a little tidbit, as much as I like FFXIV nowadays, and as much as I do think they've ironed out some of the early game issues with the latest patches, I'd like to throw in that it's not an MMORPG that I'd recommend easily: it has an incredibly long, tedious and unchallenging introductory period since it is built as 'baby's first MMO'. Furthermore, the vast majority of gameplay is actually built as if it was a solo RPG story where you're encouraged to do everything yourself, watch cutscenes and so on. Playing with your friends in an active way, such as doing dungeon parties, or hanging out in a house and decorating things, is limited, and will involve having to play it for a long time before even unlocking it.

I'll admit I don't have any recommendations of my own at the moment since I don't play many MMORPGs anymore, but it depends on what you mean by online RPG. If you mean an MMORPG, maybe go for something like Guild Wars 2 or Elder Scrolls Online since they have level scaling on at all times, and could thus make it easier to group up. But if you want something faster to pick up and play, maybe go for Monster Hunter World, Remnant From the Ashes, or Diablo 3 / Path of Exile if that counts as an online RPG?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 28, 2020

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Not a Children posted:

divinity original sin 2 assuming you only take three friends, it is the closest video game equivalent to playing a tabletop campaign

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

dmboogie posted:

divinity original sin 2 assuming you only take three friends, it is the closest video game equivalent to playing a tabletop campaign

Even has Dungeon Master mode :v:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
WoW is pretty good right now as a gently caress-around-with-your-friends thing now that they've revamped early leveling but a lot of the content will be capped at groups of 5. Until you get to the newest expansion content at level 50 (which will take you a while) there's no purchase necessary besides the subscription fee. It can be a little mind-numbing sometimes but leveling all the way through with a consistent group is a blast, and dungeons are really cool when it's just you and your friends learning the mechanics together instead of you being dropped in a random group with 4 people who have done the content a million times

goferchan fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 29, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1343703148532293632

:allears:

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
I agree.
There was someone bitching that 10% off $15 wasn't enough.
Obviously should temp jack up the base price and give it a 69% discount to the same current price, and note it in honor of the person that was bitching

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

does hollow knight have funny patch notes, because that's basically describing hollow knight

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I want so many indie games to price themselves higher, in general, but it seems so hard to fight the weird public perception of some games and their supposed cost. Some indie games are able to sneak into the higher 'AA' tier and price themselves higher based on their graphics and such, but I imagine it must be especially tough for something like Caves of Qud which doesn't look graphically impressive in screenshots. Games like Brigador should cost way more and yet people wanted it to be so much cheaper...

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Is there any demo of Caves of Qud? I just don't know if I'm going to like it or not. It doesn't seem like my type of game, but the amount of praise is so high. All I could find was this old post from 2015 but that goes to a dead link so I think there's no demo anymore?

In other news, I tried Wildfire, which I haven't heard people talk about much here. It looks like they've recently finished a couple of big patches aimed at QOL and addressing complaints, so I'm playing after that. I finished it already in about 6 hours (without really touching optional challenge or ng+ content), but it was fun and pretty polished. If you're someone who's hungering for another game in the vein of Mark of the Ninja, it can scratch that itch, even if it's not quite so masterful as its inspiration. I feel like I got my money's worth for $11.24. The difficulty to just finish the game is pretty accessible, but they have a lot of optional challenge stuff and a few extra options in the options menu that are definitely there to add challenge, even if not explicitly a difficulty slider.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lakitu7 posted:

Is there any demo of Caves of Qud? I just don't know if I'm going to like it or not. It doesn't seem like my type of game, but the amount of praise is so high. All I could find was this old post from 2015 but that goes to a dead link so I think there's no demo anymore?
You could PM Unormal, he's a goon. They might still have an old version of Qud lying around from back when it was a freeware game.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FutureCop posted:

I want so many indie games to price themselves higher, in general, but it seems so hard to fight the weird public perception of some games and their supposed cost. Some indie games are able to sneak into the higher 'AA' tier and price themselves higher based on their graphics and such, but I imagine it must be especially tough for something like Caves of Qud which doesn't look graphically impressive in screenshots. Games like Brigador should cost way more and yet people wanted it to be so much cheaper...

Brigador was a weird case of being so sure you were going through be a cult hit that you commission an entire audiobook of Lore before you even finish the game and ignore all your playtesters telling you that they want an actual tutorial and campaign and the option to play with a control scheme that isn't counter-intuitive because you're so sure the silent majority of hardcore gamers will validate you, and then none of that materializing into an audience.

Also, you know, the years of rampant secret bigotry from the dev.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Lakitu7 posted:

In other news, I tried Wildfire, which I haven't heard people talk about much here. It looks like they've recently finished a couple of big patches aimed at QOL and addressing complaints, so I'm playing after that. I finished it already in about 6 hours (without really touching optional challenge or ng+ content), but it was fun and pretty polished. If you're someone who's hungering for another game in the vein of Mark of the Ninja, it can scratch that itch, even if it's not quite so masterful as its inspiration. I feel like I got my money's worth for $11.24. The difficulty to just finish the game is pretty accessible, but they have a lot of optional challenge stuff and a few extra options in the options menu that are definitely there to add challenge, even if not explicitly a difficulty slider.

Thanks for posting that. I have it on my wishlist, but wasn't sure on it quite yet. Do you ever have multiple elements you can choose from, or is it more of a one element at a time sort of thing?

Edit from VVV

Lakitu7 posted:

You never conjure elements, but "draw" them from the environment and carry them around to throw/move/place elsewhere. You can only carry one element at a time, and I can't think of a case where you really mix them. It's just water, fire, and earth (plants really). You unlock upgrades to change water to ice and fire to smoke.

Thanks for clarifying that. I might watch a few more videos on the game, as that's not what I was hoping for.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 29, 2020

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also, you know, the years of rampant secret bigotry from the dev.

Mind expanding on that?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's a secret

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Count Uvula posted:

Mind expanding on that?

The one brother(Gauss) was making some lovely (transphobic etc.) posts on a YCS offsite.the posts[CW:Racism Transphobia anti-semitism, Homophobia] if you want to see them. (there may be more these were just the ones screenshotted and shared on SA)

https://twitter.com/StellarJockeys/status/1275559933606424576

My understanding of the main business issue with Brigador development is that they spent years developing their own engine which even they admit wasn't a good idea afaik.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 29, 2020

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Cardiovorax posted:

You could PM Unormal, he's a goon. They might still have an old version of Qud lying around from back when it was a freeware game.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Kragger99 posted:

Thanks for posting that. I have it on my wishlist, but wasn't sure on it quite yet. Do you ever have multiple elements you can choose from, or is it more of a one element at a time sort of thing?

You never conjure elements, but "draw" them from the environment and carry them around to throw/move/place elsewhere. You can only carry one element at a time, and I can't think of a case where you really mix them. It's just water, fire, and earth (plants really). You unlock upgrades to change water to ice and fire to smoke.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lakitu7 posted:

Thanks for the suggestion!
Good luck with that. If they're in a particularly good mood, they might just shoot you a free code. They randomly sent me one for Sproggiwood once over a similar question. Super nice.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Hub Cat posted:

The one brother(Gauss) was making some lovely (transphobic etc.) posts on a YCS offsite.the posts[CW:Racism Transphobia anti-semitism, Homophobia] if you want to see them. (there may be more these were just the ones screenshotted and shared on SA)

https://twitter.com/StellarJockeys/status/1275559933606424576

Garbage! Is Hugh an rear end in a top hat as well? He's been nice in the brief few interactions I've had with him.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Lakitu7 posted:

Have you ever tried any other traditional roguelikes? Like Nethack or anything like that? If not then there are a bunch available for free and they'll give you a good feel for if this is a genre of games that you might enjoy. That said, Qud is amazing and fun even for someone like me who finds the interface and play with these games to generally be impenetrable. There's so much cool poo poo in there.

I think it's technically illegal to discuss Caves of Qud with someone thinking about buying the game without posting the following:

Angry Diplomat posted:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 29, 2020

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Count Uvula posted:

Garbage! Is Hugh an rear end in a top hat as well? He's been nice in the brief few interactions I've had with him.

Hugh comments about it in that thread, he's the next reply down if you show more.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Gonna share it so it's a little more visible. I've never seen any posts from him or anything showing he had an awareness of it at the time.
https://twitter.com/HughSJ/status/1275590289038741504?s=20

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 29, 2020

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

FutureCop posted:

Just as a little tidbit, as much as I like FFXIV nowadays, and as much as I do think they've ironed out some of the early game issues with the latest patches, I'd like to throw in that it's not an MMORPG that I'd recommend easily: it has an incredibly long, tedious and unchallenging introductory period since it is built as 'baby's first MMO'. Furthermore, the vast majority of gameplay is actually built as if it was a solo RPG story where you're encouraged to do everything yourself, watch cutscenes and so on. Playing with your friends in an active way, such as doing dungeon parties, or hanging out in a house and decorating things, is limited, and will involve having to play it for a long time before even unlocking it.

I'll admit I don't have any recommendations of my own at the moment since I don't play many MMORPGs anymore, but it depends on what you mean by online RPG. If you mean an MMORPG, maybe go for something like Guild Wars 2 or Elder Scrolls Online since they have level scaling on at all times, and could thus make it easier to group up. But if you want something faster to pick up and play, maybe go for Monster Hunter World, Remnant From the Ashes, or Diablo 3 / Path of Exile if that counts as an online RPG?

Saoshyant posted:

Black Griffon posted:

FFXIV?
edit: beaten, but yeah: FFXIV.

Final Fantasy XIV.

dmboogie posted:

Thanks for the responses y'all. I was specifically looking for a non-MMO as some of the people I play with will not do a subscription-model game, though maybe I can talk em into at least doing the trial period.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Have you ever tried any other traditional roguelikes? Like Nethack or anything like that? If not then there are a bunch available for free and they'll give you a good feel for if this is a genre of games that you might enjoy. That said, Qud is amazing and fun even for someone like me who finds the interface and play with these games to generally impenetrable. There's so much cool poo poo in there.

I think it's technically illegal to discuss Caves of Qud with someone thinking about buying the game without posting the following:

I feel like it's important to add that the developers recently revamped the mutation system, and in the process added a new defect that makes you worse at understanding technology. It's lowers your chance at understanding what an artifact is, and gives a small chance that it explodes as you're examining it.

Meaning that you can be SO DUMB that you somehow make a FOLDING CHAIR EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Not a Children posted:

If RPG means "can level up characters and find lots of items while progressing through a story" then maybe Borderlands 3 or Diablo 3?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Not a Children posted:

Thanks for the responses y'all. I was specifically looking for a non-MMO as some of the people I play with will not do a subscription-model game, though maybe I can talk em into at least doing the trial period.

Hey, I just remembered something people can pick quickly and it's free to play: Phantasy Star Online 2. Create space elves dressed in absurd clothing. Slay beasts together. ????. Profit.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

What game is this ninja mushroom from?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Max Wilco posted:

What game is this ninja mushroom from?

Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville I think.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville I think.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1262240/Plants_vs_Zombies_Battle_for_Neighborville/

Huh, I was thinking maybe it was from some sort of RPG. Thank for letting me know, though.

-

I'm having some difficulty trying to decide what to get. Are there any deals right now that anybody would recommend? One of the games I was looking at was Fable Anniversary. I never played the original, and it sounds like Fable: Lost Chapters has compatibility issues.

I've also got the Halo Master Chief Collection and the Rainbow Six Bundle on my current list. Halo MCC I was waiting on for all the games to get released, and for patches (as I think it had sound issues). Rainbow Six bundle look like a pretty good deal, since it came with Rainbow Six 3 (the last of the classic-style of games) and RS Siege. I dunno if Siege is still popular online, though (it also looks like it has a huge install size).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Any thoughts on Horizon's Gate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0So11Ag-Vo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ulio posted:

Ya honestly it's weird to me that game directors still rely on notes/letters for so much of the world building. I remember the audiotapes in Bioshock 1 were praised for adding to the world building, that was kinda annoying too but it didn't interrupt the flow of the game since you could play the audiotape and keep playing, their positioning was also smart they were often in areas with no enemies and just you walking.

I feel like the two good ways to do that sort of exposition is either letting the player play the audiolog like a podcast (so many games gently caress this up) or to just do what Mass Effect did and have all your extra exposition in a little menu off to the side that you can either read when you want or just never read at all if you don't feel like it. Dark Souls sorta does that in its own way, but with all the extra stuff hidden away more obtusely, yet also periodically shows up on load screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The one thing I remember about Brigador's release was the constant forum posts about how the controls were weird and the devs being like "no we ain't gonna change them" over and over.