Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Antonymous posted:

I heard the conservatives in China want to put limits on celebrating 'foreign'/'western' holidays, so maybe look forward to that

in china conservatives are kinda the good guys since returning to 1950s politics means Mao

ok but I feel like the main downside to this is that it'll gently caress over oppressed folks, eg. LGBT+ folks, even harder than they're currently being hosed over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's kinda eyeroll inducing that all these takes about "expats" in Asia comes down to white people experiences given how Koreans/Chinese play a larger role in Japan and Malaysians in Singapore etc.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Venomous posted:

ok but I feel like the main downside to this is that it'll gently caress over oppressed folks, eg. LGBT+ folks, even harder than they're currently being hosed over

What are you talking about. Homosexuality is not a western concept. It was pretty trendy in Ming dynasty.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

What are you talking about. Homosexuality is not a western concept. It was pretty trendy in Ming dynasty.

We've discussed it a few times ITT but the current party is not particularly fond of the gays and has shot down attempts at marriage equality, the last of which I found particularly insulting, because the guy that declined it essentially accused them of forging signatures with westerners

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

shrike82 posted:

it's kinda eyeroll inducing that all these takes about "expats" in Asia comes down to white people experiences given how Koreans/Chinese play a larger role in Japan and Malaysians in Singapore etc.

Yeah a bunch of westerners and anglophones can talk about western experiences in Asia. Would you prefer people whitesplain the Asian immigrant/expat experience in other Asian countries? Nobody has been claiming white immigrant/expats are the most important, and if anything saying the opposite.

If you have insights into the Malaysian experience in SG for example it would be an interesting juxtaposition to the personal experiences some people here are sharing, and would be more productive than a drive by “lol white people talking smdh”

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
we should at least use the correct nomenclature for white expatriates, "sexpat", to avoid confusion

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

I’m not familiar offhand with every single detail but all the “citizens” of the colonies definitely weren’t consistently treated as equals and I don’t believe it was as simple as just getting to Japan for most. I think there’s also a timeline there though; people tend to forget that Japan underwent really rapid change not only economically and industrially, but politically, in particular in the early 1900s where all the relatively sane and decent (at least by the standards of contemporary imperial powers) civilian leadership started to lose out heavily to (or get assassinated by) the far right extremist military, and things really went downhill.

It definitely did happen though; great grandfather on my wife’s side went to Kyoto University in the early 1900s from Taiwan. I’ve heard that there were limited slots for non-Japanese though, and they tended to allow them mostly in specialties that were needed, like medicine etc. Need to look into details some more.

Taiwan also had its own timeline of status as the "model colony", an Ulster or Canada type that was still definitely subaltern but had completed industrialization and was considered politically reliable enough that full accession as a 48th prefecture was proposed early in the war in order to justify extension of the draft. I'd be very curious to see how much of the rarity of Taiwanese holders of the status I mentioned (which is around 99.5% Korean in practice) is due to an earlier, less personally hazardous path to resume RoC citizenship vis-a-vis obtaining new RoK/DPRK citizenship, versus how much is due to immediate naturalization/integration during the stateless and/or refugee status years immediately following the war.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mandoric posted:

Taiwan also had its own timeline of status as the "model colony", an Ulster or Canada type that was still definitely subaltern but had completed industrialization and was considered politically reliable enough that full accession as a 48th prefecture was proposed early in the war in order to justify extension of the draft. I'd be very curious to see how much of the rarity of Taiwanese holders of the status I mentioned (which is around 99.5% Korean in practice) is due to an earlier, less personally hazardous path to resume RoC citizenship vis-a-vis obtaining new RoK/DPRK citizenship, versus how much is due to immediate naturalization/integration during the stateless and/or refugee status years immediately following the war.

Yeah Taiwan is also an interesting example in colonial history specifically because Japan was super into showing it could be a better Imperial power than the west at that time and were determined to make Taiwan a model example, and largely succeeded into making it I think overall relative to size the most productive and independent (economically, not politically) colony ever. The legacy of Japanese colonialism in Taiwan is heavily influenced by that, as well as other factors like how the Japanese generally treated the Han people pretty well and tended to focus their imperial bullshit more on the rebellious aboriginal groups, they were colonized earlier (1895 vs 1910, which may not seem like much but Japan was much further into its slide towards militant extremism by 1910) and had more civilians in charge instead of military, the Japanese occupation being juxtaposed with the KMT who took over after and how brutal and corrupt they were, etc.

Right now there’s only less than 2000 ethnic Chinese in Japan under the Special Permanent Resident (特別永住者) status.

Number should be here as long as the link works:
https://www.e-stat.go.jp/stat-search/file-download?statInfId=000031964914&fileKind=0
Edit: Special perm res is far right column

825 under China, 1141 for Taiwan.

Interestingly there’s also a scattering of other nations with the status, including the US with 800ish. I presume those are probably mostly Japanese Americans who went back to Japan and maybe didn’t have paperwork proving their Japanese ancestry so got caught up and lost their Japanese citizenship postwar and qualified for special status?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Is this due to the vaccine not having been approved in Korea, or the fuckery it appears to be?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Judakel posted:

Is this due to the vaccine not having been approved in Korea, or the fuckery it appears to be?

To be fair, if I was another country and we had a bunch of Americans hanging around I'd give them the vaccine first, because they're the most likely to gently caress everything up and expose people

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Lots of interesting conversations in here.

Since some people here seem to have lived in Japan, what are some legit cultural differences between Japan and America?

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

stephenthinkpad posted:

Actually China put a clamp down on Christmas celebration, and especially Hollween dress up celebration. The most recent example was a TV talk show put up Christmas decoration in the background and later they got blurred out.

It reminds me of how the French rejected over use of English words in French media and advertisement.

yo hey like maybe chinar should replace these like outdated outmoded illegible chinese script with like modern progressive and ~internationally used and celebrated~ latin script. everyone types pinyin anyways, why not remove the extra step of transforming them into ugly alien charcters. just leave them as latin letters, be like vietnamesE!

no need to go on weibo and post pics of christmas trees and santa suits then adding wobushichongyangmeiwai out of some unjustified fear that they desperately wanna be white. i feel bad for these free thinking chinese folx kinda like the unfairly persecuted people who post lengthy ~enlightened and authority-challenging~ diatribes that start off with "im not a racist but..."

after all china is a 5000 years old civ that is v accomodating of global culture, like islam which has like thousands of years of history in china, such deep deep roots, so much so that whenever ramadan ends chinese people go around shouting eid mubarak to each otehr, right?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Since some people here seem to have lived in Japan, what are some legit cultural differences between Japan and America?

me, dumb troglodyte stuck in ancient anti imperialism and anti coloniztion thinking and discourse: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2020/07/31/reader-mail/white-people-privileged-japan/
“Being 'othered' in Japan is not the same as oppression” (June 29) is a very well-written, empathetic article. However, the fact that this article has come from a privileged "white" professor itself underlines the existence of racism in Japan.

How many Black or Asian (non-Japanese) professors do you find in Japan compared to their white counterparts? Why are they not writing about themselves and why do privileged white people have to write on their behalf?
What is definitely different from Western countries is that there is usually negligible physical or verbal abuse of Asian and Black people in Japan compared to that in some Western countries. Here, the slights are likely to be more veiled and subtler.

you, smart educated knows the end of history: takes the altantics position that japanese people are definitely not internalizing whiteness https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2010/09/why-do-the-japanese-draw-themselves-as-white/340084/
naruto and sailor moon definitely not coded white, its just u reading too much into things mang https://globe.asahi.com/article/13424461

予め断っておくと、これはセーラームーンを日本人の容姿風に書いたものではなく、マレーシア人である絵描きさんが自身の妹さんに似せて書いたセーラームーンです。
lol dirty non japanese asian with siscon

look at this evil liar spreading anti japanese propaganda
https://twitter.com/moghilemear13/status/1223712433715499009
https://twitter.com/moghilemear13/status/1223744615704076291

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

huhwhat posted:

huh? what?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
well, i'm convinced. just trying to figure out what i'm convinced of.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

wolfs posted:

is Vietnam inoculated against cults because of the great spirit of Ho Chi Minh

Nah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caodaism

wolfs posted:

...is there a cult secretly running Vietnam, for instance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_Ship_(Pohl_novel)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Eox posted:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Lol I thought those last tweets were ironic but I’m guessing not.

They’re referring to Mizuki Shigeru, a famous manga artist who also drew comics based on his wartime experience where he lost an arm. It’s pretty notable because he doesn’t pull punches calling the Japanese military brutal bastards who were callous with the lives of both others and their own men.

The Twitter person seems to be making the claim that Mizuki never portrays Japanese characters with stereotypical cartoonish features, only other Asians, which, uh, is clearly bullshit if you’ve literally ever seen his work.

Here’s one of his famous characters, Salaryman Yamada

Only registered members can see post attachments!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCJyGy6AFJo&t=9s

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
For real it’s worth checking out Mizuki’s works on WW2. I think only once is published in English though?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onward_Towards_Our_Noble_Deaths

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

Im not American but I've noticed they never shut the gently caress up

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

I like gently caress that bullshit for a moment, but uh, yeah, itmakes sense...they are the biggest COVID danger in the country.

Shouldn't loving be there tho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Eox posted:

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Eox posted:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
good thread

https://twitter.com/realDrcabbie/status/1343191570477146112

https://twitter.com/realDrcabbie/status/1343199806555123714

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/eoinhiggins_/status/1343681529176862720?s=21

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/oranckay/status/1343649226715062272

the thread saying her parents were communist saboteurs is very funny

the actual boring explanation is that south korea was such an undisputed shithole country until basically our lifetimes everyone wanted to get out and any actual immigrant from there will happily tell you as much

its their kids who have a romantic fixation on the country and even that only became a thing like this century

Kind of like K - Pop where it's not only where pretty boys are "groomed" to perform, but it also serves as a PR wing for the Korean State, right?

Grapplejack posted:

We've discussed it a few times ITT but the current party is not particularly fond of the gays and has shot down attempts at marriage equality, the last of which I found particularly insulting, because the guy that declined it essentially accused them of forging signatures with westerners

That hasn't stopped plenty of dudes looking for dick on the down low. I used to work with a British dude who got his share on Blued (Chinese Grindr). Apparently, a lot of guys he got with were married, but were looking for dick on the side.

There is a growing Chinese Trans scene, but they are all on Twitter, apparently.

Didn't Taiwan legalize same sex unions last year?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Forceholy posted:

Didn't Taiwan legalize same sex unions last year?

They had same sex unions almost everywhere from before, last year got full marriage. This year two foreigners can register a same-sex union as well.

There's a sticking point where as of now if one partner is a foreigner from a country that doesn't recognize it then you can't get a full marriage though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_Taiwan

In general Taiwan is the best country in Asia for gay rights, and probably trans rights, though I'm less aware of details there. Taiwan also has Audrey Tang, who was born male, usually goes by female, but says she doesn't mind whatever pronoun people use, in the top executive cabinet. She's also pretty drat cool all around.

LimburgLimbo has issued a correction as of 15:14 on Dec 29, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eox posted:

easily swayed, huh?

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

what makes Caodai a cult? just seems like a religion that happens to have been founded recently

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pizza Segregationist posted:

what makes Caodai a cult? just seems like a religion that happens to have been founded recently

quote:

Unknown to most outsiders, Joan of Arc is worshipped in the Cao Đài pantheon. She is seen as having guided the Faith at its inception and promoted full equality for women (via séances).[21][22] The Cao Đài pantheon also has many other well-known figures, including Muhammad, Moses, Louis Pasteur, Shakespeare, and Lenin.

this poo poo rules

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Gamemaster Anthony of Pantheons

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
from my very superficial reading it seems to have a lot in common with Bahaism, one just approaches its subject from Eastern traditions and the other from Abrahamic faiths. big-tent syncretic theology is fun

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Forceholy posted:

Kind of like K - Pop where it's not only where pretty boys are "groomed" to perform, but it also serves as a PR wing for the Korean State, right?

im not sure where youre going with the kpop analogy but yes ethnic korean immigrants to the west tend to be hypernationalistic precisely because those were the only people the dictatorship allowed to leave and anyone trying to just bullshit their way through the process would be smart enough to shut up about how bad the government was when theyd escaped from it

this is how you get the bewildering contrast of ethnic korean immigrants tending to believe fringe right wing conspiracy theories like moon jaein stole the election and more respectable ones like park chung hee singlehandedly saved korea despite this being highly counterintuitive relative to the actual circumstances behind their diaspora

this political disconnect is probably the single most disorienting thing for ethnic korean children of immigrants to take in because if youre ethnic korean born in the united states people like the ones in kims convenience are reasonably accurate facsimiles of your parents but in korea proper such people would be seen as complete fruitcakes like imagine if you grew up in a mormon family of immigrants from the united states and were led to believe all americans were like that growing up it would really gently caress with your self perception when you tried to come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012