Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

Yes, I in no way am saying I agree with them, which I don't. People should not be held accountable for what their parents, or ancestors, or vaguely related group of people did. However, I find in the real world there are a LOT of people that will find a reason to be prejudiced, which is why I understand why the Titan-universe is like it is.

I am sympathetic to the Eldians, which I think (and hope) is what the manga/anime is trying to show. I have a nagging feeling that Willy's plan is going to be something along the lines of "We just have to get back to the old ways of exterminating non-Eldians because we really ARE devils!" and if that happens I'm going to be extremely pissed.

Yeah, Willy's been cagey regarding his exact thoughts, and we don't even know what goals Magath has (beyond some sort of purge and other actions to get Marley to stop warmongering). Genocide is the simplest way to deal with this situation (kill all the Eldians or the non-Eldians, problem solved!) and it's where my mind jumped to first, but I managed to come up with something that I hope is more likely. I keep on generating different theories as I rewatch (so many have been trashed as I rethink things), so this is more a snapshot than anything else.

- Zeke told the shifters that Marley needs to remain strong for the Eldians to survive and heavily implied that the invasion of Paradis is required to get the Founding Titan as well as oil so the Eldians in Marley can remain safe within Marley from the rest of the world. He also implied that the Tyburs will be be used to announce the invasion of Paradis in order for the international community to fall into line. From what was said by the rest of the shifters, it seems that they don't know how powerful the Tyburs are and think of them as pawns to be hauled out by Marley. Maybe Zeke filled them in later when they weren't being listened to, but the whole scene is filled with misdirects and the only thing we know for sure is that this is what Zeke wants Marley to hear.

- Willy implied that the Tyburs backed the Marleyan rebels because they thought Eldia needed to atone for their treatment of non-Eldians, but that Marley oppressing Eldians after the conflict was over wasn't something they had wanted. Of course, this is also a narrative grounded in propaganda and lies perpetuated by people at the top, so any of this might be a convenient fiction by the Tyburs. Certainly all the previous Tyburs were willing to go along with the status quo even though it's been slow genocide for their own people. The most charitable reading is that the Tyburs meant well but their past plans hinged on getting the Founding Titan so nothing has ever been accomplished. (Side note: Almost everyone with any degree of power in this show keeps on whining that they can't actually do anything, it's not their fault that stuff is awful, etc.) Willy is definitely a cypher right now.

- Going back to the trailer and putting everything together... Willy is planning on telling everyone that the Tyburs sacrificed Eldia so Marley could exist, but the Marleyan government has been loving it up ever since. He intends to lead Marley properly, but this means an internal bloodbath (Magath's book of names) and the populace will need a distraction (plus they really do need that oil regardless of what happens with the Eldians), so throw in an official invasion of Paradis. Label Eren and anyone else who resists an enemy combatant, ignore that Marley invited any retaliation through their aggression towards Paradis and their general genocidal actions for generations, and Marley can invade with reasonably clean hands. Take the island as fast as possible, get the oil, and deal with the remaining Eldians on Paradis when they have to.

- Alternate theory: Magath is both isolationist and anti-Eldian. Take the oil, kill the Eldians, then withdraw from the international stage. We have no idea why he's against Marley's warmongering (there are so many reasons to choose from) and his position doesn't actually mean he's accepting of Eldians. We didn't see Magath and Willy responding to each other's statements with anything more than non-committal noises, so they may only be temporarily working with each other.

- And another one: Willy will publicly shift blame onto all of Paradis, kill his Marleyan enemies in a less public fashion, and genocide the whole island when he's secure at home.

- Zeke has been cagey enough that we don't know what what his goals are, but presumably he won't like whatever Willy and Magath want to do. He's also been in touch with Eren, although we don't know how long it's been or how regular it was when Eren wasn't in Marley. Their communications could cover anything between a détente ("I'm going to cause trouble, you might want to stay away from it") and active planning ("I have royal blood, you have the Founding Titan, let's destroy Marley"). Or they could be trying to use each other (Eren needs to use Zeke's royal blood, Zeke needs to eat Eren to take back the Founding Titan or position him as a genocidal villain -- which, to be fair, it looks like he might be) and the letters could be a series of ruses as they jockey for position. If there are two full seasons worth of episodes remaining, that's plenty of time for multiple plans to play out.

- Oh boy, Eren. His position at the top of several posters for this season places him as a villain. We know from the trailer that someone in Marley (Willy?) is going to be explicitly positioning him as the enemy and cause of various problems. We don't know where Eren's head is at right now, but his last line from season 3 was "If we kill all our enemies over there, will we finally be free?" I'm not saying that he's going to attempt genocide, but it doesn't seem like something he would rule out on principle based on when we last saw him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
Why does the baseball glove suggest Eren has been in contact with Zeke? Just Zeke's talents for baseball pitching junk as beast titan?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Soks posted:

Why does the baseball glove suggest Eren has been in contact with Zeke? Just Zeke's talents for baseball pitching junk as beast titan?

I cannot think of another character who has made reference to baseball in the entire show, and Zeke has done it several times.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

All I feel confident predicting is that very very bad things will happen in the next episode.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

P-Mack posted:

All I feel confident predicting is that very very bad things will happen in the next episode.

nah

Falco definitely brought pizza with him to the basement

Eren, Falco, and Reiner gonna have a pizza party during the theater production

Eren will realize pizza is good, and will dedicate his heart to it

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
"If we have a pizza party with everyone over there, will we finally be free?"

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

RubberLuffy posted:

nah

Falco definitely brought pizza with him to the basement

Eren, Falco, and Reiner gonna have a pizza party during the theater production

Eren will realize pizza is good, and will dedicate his heart to it

Pizza and Ice Cream!

Watching the kids enjoy the festival was :allears:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Viridiant posted:

"If we have a pizza party with everyone over there, will we finally be free?"

No.

Sasha will eat all the pizza, starting a new war. Tragedy is inevitable.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Watching the kids enjoy the festival was :allears:

For me, it was :smith: because gently caress kids having to live in a situation where that's something unimaginably special.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

These past few episodes have been far too "dont you love these characters" for me not to expect the worst

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Don't worry I'm sure Eren is bringing peace and love

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Poor Eren. Dude's hosed.

I want to know what Historia, Levi and Hange have been doing! They better not screw me over and give them like a line at the end of the series!

I'm also DYING to see Armin's colossal titan (that's what she said)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Alan_Shore posted:

Poor Eren. Dude's hosed.

I want to know what Historia, Levi and Hange have been doing! They better not screw me over and give them like a line at the end of the series!

I couldn't help but notice that Marley has lots of sturdy tall buildings close together.

Levi: :getin:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I have this horrible feeling Levi's swords wouldn't do well against Marley's machine guns

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. Paradis is insanely outgunned in terms of technology and, at best, roughly level on titan-power. I assume their plan involves taking out some of the Marleyan titans to level the playing field.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
All they have to do is kill or convert the Marleyan shifters to their cause and bug out and every other nation will run over Marley for them.

That still puts them at a disadvantage in the long run though as there's nothing stopping the rest of the world from invading Paradis at that point.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rewatched episodes 5-1213 (whoops). The Trost episodes start out pretty good, and there's some good bones in this arc, but after Eren shows up as a Titan the production cracks start to show. The runtime gets padded in more or less obvious ways and the storyboarding gets, well, dull. I'd consider episodes 9-1213 to be the nadir of the show; within those four five episodes they easily could have trimmed out half an hour. Lots of slow talking, lots of telling instead of showing, lots of scenes that should have been condensed down instead of spread throughout an episode or two, lots of missed opportunities.

Things I was pleasantly surprised by:
- More Marco than I recalled (oh noooooooo)
- More Annie than I recalled (being cool! showing emotion! hanging out with other scouts! not getting beaten down by Reiner!)
- Uhh... Eren spent less time carrying the boulder than it felt like?

Relieved to be done with this mess and on to the next section, although I recall there are some pacing issues in the next chunk of episodes as well.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 2, 2021

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Apparently a lot of people hate the Female Titan arc, but I don't really see what's wrong with it. I certainly think it's better than Trost. It just gets outclassed by... season 2. And then again by the stuff in 3. And then again by the stuff in 4.
But I also like Annie, so that probably helps.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I really like Annie, so when the female titan actually showed up I was like "Sickkkk". But the lead up in the forest was giving me some serious "hokage dying in Naruto circa 2004" flashbacks.

I think the first season of AoT is the weakest by far. There are def some really weak individual moments after that (chonk cg bert for one), I think S1 has the longest stretches of bad pacing, bad animation etc.

That said, the relentless suffering and struggling really did lodge AoT in my head. It's funny looking back on some of the moments that felt like rear end pulls being crucial events that worked their way in to the entire rest of the series.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There was also very little manga to adapt at the point of Attack on Titans first season, which is why the subsequent seasons felt they went at a supersonic pace compared to the 1st.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

There was also very little manga to adapt at the point of Attack on Titans first season, which is why the subsequent seasons felt they went at a supersonic pace compared to the 1st.

I looked up the number of chapters covered by the first season before we started this time around and was boggled by the idea that they could stretch it out over half a year. We love picking apart flawed episodes of tv and figuring out how they could be improved, so this is definitely a feature (if you can call it that) of this rewatch.

I recall the next arc (once they leave on the expedition) to be pretty good, minus one episode in the middle. We'll see if my memory matches what happens.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Beefstew posted:

Apparently a lot of people hate the Female Titan arc, but I don't really see what's wrong with it. I certainly think it's better than Trost. It just gets outclassed by... season 2. And then again by the stuff in 3. And then again by the stuff in 4.
But I also like Annie, so that probably helps.

Which is kind of ironic considering how much of a smash hit season 1 was with the whole community (and a fuckload of non-otaku) only to drop off considerably when season 2 came around because of the production gap. I can't tell you how many people I sung the praises of season 3 to only for their reaction to be "That show kept going?"

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

In season 1 every episode was one issue in PLUS padding. Season 2 onward they condense poo poo pretty effectively.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Season 1 was just a real mess. Numerous episodes aired incomplete, literally scrambling for bodies to throw at the production hours before airdate, etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RubberLuffy posted:

Season 1 was just a real mess. Numerous episodes aired incomplete, literally scrambling for bodies to throw at the production hours before airdate, etc.

the two I remember was when the scouting newbies get merc'd by the titans immediately, the guy that gets swatted out of midair turns into a flying polygon

and then there's the stomp where the upheaved ground is just untextured purple bricks

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I suppose it's possible my simpleton eyes don't see at a high enough framerate to parse the animation quality issues frame by frame, but the first GIF the guy just gets swatted and explodes. I can't see whatever problem you're pointing out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you don't see the rectangle that flies out past where he gets swatted? it looks like some kind of CGI glitch, like something was supposed to be there but instead it was replaced by this big grey rectangle tumbling through the air

I literally can't think of what that could be from if it's supposed to be there

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

JahRoo posted:

I suppose it's possible my simpleton eyes don't see at a high enough framerate to parse the animation quality issues frame by frame, but the first GIF the guy just gets swatted and explodes. I can't see whatever problem you're pointing out.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

gotcha thanks for the clarification

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's not a thing anyone notices unless they're either watching the loop specifically or are very immersed into animation, so it's not actually a big deal

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the background ones are fine for giving the impression that the guy's 3DMG was smashed to bits by the blow. The foreground square does look weird though

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The most outstanding production issues where in the episode Eren plugs the hole in Trost with a rock; not just the purple bricks but also straight up cutting out several seconds of the episode, showing unrelated stills while playing audio.

There's another pretty bad part before Levi engages the Female Titan where the framerate goes to poo poo.

Production and direction wise, the peak of Wit's AoT run was S2 (even if the CGI Colossal was pretty bad).

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
There was also the scene where it was a freeze frame on a roof for like 10 seconds while you can hear the action happening, but can't see it.

Fixed on bluray of course, but man those instances really stood out when I was watching it as it aired.

Infamously one episode had like 50 animators thrown at it and finished like an hour before it was set to air.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sooo. We don’t get a new ep this week it looks like.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

Sooo. We don’t get a new ep this week it looks like.

This has been known, yes.

AoT gets 1 week off and Jujutsu got 2 weeks

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

the two I remember was when the scouting newbies get merc'd by the titans immediately, the guy that gets swatted out of midair turns into a flying polygon

and then there's the stomp where the upheaved ground is just untextured purple bricks

I am so glad I first watched this long after the first season was done.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Season one ruled because titans were actually a threat that the protagonists hadn’t leveled up past yet. It was genuinely scary and completely different than what season four is.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Season 1 was a mess at the time, but as the show has kept going, they keep going back to stuff from that first season and its paying off so well. Like goddamn, I'm very satisfied with how the show turned out to be.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Faustian Bargain posted:

Season one ruled because titans were actually a threat that the protagonists hadn’t leveled up past yet. It was genuinely scary and completely different than what season four is.
Titans are still absolutely terrifying, there's a reason Marley has been a megapower until like, JUST now. Unless you have anti-tank gear or equipment explicitly designed to stop them, you are utterly utterly hosed against even a single titan. And even fully equipped and trained you've got a comparatively low chance against them unless you have Protagonist Powers like Levi and Mikasa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Titans in the first 2 seasons definitely had that 'squirm in my guts' terror that stopped being a thing in season 3 after the protagonists moved on to facing human threats more and more. It's not that the Titans got less strong, they're just not the main threat anymore.