Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CommonShore posted:

He has an old potato laptop that can barely run w10. He's 4h away from me so I can't get exact specs on it. I'll take a look on ebay - thanks!

Check out my linked ebay posting, it's got an hour left and it might be worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Here goes nothing. These are my specs according to, well, Speccy. Purchased in March 2017:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600 @3.30 Ghz (Skylake 14nm Technology)
RAM: 16,0 Gb Dual Channel Unknown @ 1066 Mhz
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Sli (MS-7998)
Graphics: 4095MB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 (ASUSteK)

I am running Window 7 Ultimate and, yes, I am aware that I will need to upgrade that at some point. Everything else is just external storage etc.

I've always been a Geforce man, so I was looking at the RTX 3060 Ti as it is a very good value card. The only thing that I don't like about it is only 8MB of memory. Then I thought about going very high end and getting a Radeon RX 6800 XT, but that has poor reviews. It was at this point I started to think about bottlenecking issues and I realise that I needed outside help. As you can see, my approach is to upgrade rarely but in large leaps.

Again, this is all academic for the moment as everything is sold out everywhere except for scalpers on eBay, but this is based on the MSRP of the cards that I mentioned.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

That card is ridiculously large at 335mm if Newegg is right on size. That’s bigger than almost all of the 3080 cards.

Your R5 will fit cards up to 410mm with the topmost hard drive cage removed, 310mm with it installed.

Yeah I was surprised by the size too. I can only find reviews for the 3080 SUPRIM X, but they're all good and I'm hoping it translates to the 3070. I don't hoard data so I'll only have 1 SSD and 1HDD in the end. Removing some of the hard drive cages should not be an issue. Even more since I think most newer SSDs go directly on the motherboard now?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

What do you need from the motherboard? Ports? WiFi? Bluetooth? Audio? Anything else?
Buy windows 10 from SA mart for $15.

I only know I don't need WiFi. The only peripherals I have connected right now are a headset, mouse, keyboard, monitor, and an Xbox elite controller. I occasionally plug in an external hard drive. Don't know if this answers the question?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have a real head-scratcher here. I have a motherboard with only USB available, but I want to use this Wifi 6E card:

https://www.amazon.com/AX210-Expands-Bluetooth-Tri-Band-Windows10/dp/B08MJLPZPL/

Is there any adapter or set of adapters that could turn this M.2 "A+E Key" card into USB? As I understand it the A+E is used to carry both PCI lanes (for the Wifi) and USB (for the bluetooth and maybe power?). If it simplifies things, I can live without the Bluetooth functionality. I just wanna get that 6ghz wifi and that card is currently the only way.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

orange juche posted:

Check out my linked ebay posting, it's got an hour left and it might be worth a look.

Oops! I started browsing antique tools and missed your reply/edit. It looks as if that went a bit beyond what I was looking to spend: at least once shipping was included it would have been over CA$500. Thank you though! I think ebay is going to be my winner here.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Oops! I started browsing antique tools and missed your reply/edit. It looks as if that went a bit beyond what I was looking to spend: at least once shipping was included it would have been over CA$500. Thank you though! I think ebay is going to be my winner here.

Oh yeah that's a sizeable amount more than I thought. That said in general anything that's a desktop processor is going to be much faster than a laptop/mobile processor, due to having more thermal headroom and generally more cores to work with. Any intel processor with T or U in its name is a low power/mobile chip.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

orange juche posted:

Oh yeah that's a sizeable amount more than I thought. That said in general anything that's a desktop processor is going to be much faster than a laptop/mobile processor, due to having more thermal headroom and generally more cores to work with. Any intel processor with T or U in its name is a low power/mobile chip.

Cool - that's good information about the T/U stuff. That's really why I'm looking to buy him a desktop rather than a new laptop, as he doesn't use any mobile functions anyway, so I might as well get him more bang for his buck.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm in the US and mostly play WoW, Paradox, and Total War games at 1440p. My current desktop is 6ish years old and I'm looking to do a total rebuild. Can I get away with Micro ATX with these components or do I need the full-size? Are there any cheaper GPUs that are a nice upgrade over a GTX 970? I was looking at some newer $200-300 GPUs (RX 590 and 5500 XT mostly) and they seemed like barely an upgrade.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.95 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($162.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($599.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($99.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Corsair)

ImmigrantSong
Apr 13, 2008
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? $1000-$1200
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate
1080p, 144hz

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Addlink S70 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: GTX 1660 SUPER SC ULTRA ($250 already purchased)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1044.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-28 18:56 EST-0500

First time building a PC (I'll have help from a friend), and I'm sure I bungled something up. The goal is to have a computer that has an upgrade path for when Total Warhammer 3 comes out.

Also any suggestions on a good 1080 p monitor under $300?

felat
Apr 27, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Here's my recent build around a RTX 3070 with a lot of notes about alternate parts options.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jPYH99

Don't take the pricing too literally because a lot of stuff is probably out of stock or being scalped at the moment but it should give you a general idea. For instance don't spend $190 on a PSU, when I bought that one it was like $120 I think, and I didn't spend $900 on a 3070 lol

The Ryzen 5000 series CPUs seem to be impossible to find right now. Should I go for an Intel I9 series? Or since I'm mostly gaming would this be a waste of cash and I'd be better served going for a Ryzen 3000/Intel I7 cpu? My only fear is that I want to keep this rig for a few years, and I fear that an older cpu might be a bottleneck for a new GPU in 3 years.

edit: assume that I know next to nothing about cpus and this might all be gibberish...

felat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 29, 2020

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Here goes nothing. These are my specs according to, well, Speccy. Purchased in March 2017:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600 @3.30 Ghz (Skylake 14nm Technology)
RAM: 16,0 Gb Dual Channel Unknown @ 1066 Mhz
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Sli (MS-7998)
Graphics: 4095MB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 (ASUSteK)

I am running Window 7 Ultimate and, yes, I am aware that I will need to upgrade that at some point. Everything else is just external storage etc.

I've always been a Geforce man, so I was looking at the RTX 3060 Ti as it is a very good value card. The only thing that I don't like about it is only 8MB of memory. Then I thought about going very high end and getting a Radeon RX 6800 XT, but that has poor reviews. It was at this point I started to think about bottlenecking issues and I realise that I needed outside help. As you can see, my approach is to upgrade rarely but in large leaps.

Again, this is all academic for the moment as everything is sold out everywhere except for scalpers on eBay, but this is based on the MSRP of the cards that I mentioned.

There is always something better around the corner. In about a year AMD will likely release zen 3+ with some incremental improvements. If a 5600xt is released, the price might drop a 5600x. In early 2021 more skus like non X zen 3 are expected, . Intel 12th gen for desktop is expected in later 2021 probably a new socket, probably will support pcie 4. 3070ti and 3080ti with more vram are expected to be announced in Feb.

A 3060 ti is a noticeable improvement from the 1070 for most games, can do 144+fps in a lot of games where the 1070 can't. You could upgrade the gpus without doing anything else. And for 1080p, 8gb is probably fine, you can run everything maxed out for a while.

If you are getting a 4k or 1440p monitor the 3060 ti is still a good option, but you won't be able to run everyone on max settings, and there are some games now where you need to turn settings down to stay under 8gb. A lot of games would need a 3080 to run on 120+ fps with maxed settings.

The i5 6600 single threaded performance is pretty good, only about 35% slower than the newest intel and 50% slower than the newest AMD cpus for single thread performance. Most games are limited by single thread performance, and effectively not cpu limited. But it is only 4 threads, some newer games would be noticeably faster on an 8 thread cpu, especially if you get a high framerate monitor.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

lampey posted:

There is always something better around the corner. In about a year AMD will likely release zen 3+ with some incremental improvements. If a 5600xt is released, the price might drop a 5600x. In early 2021 more skus like non X zen 3 are expected, . Intel 12th gen for desktop is expected in later 2021 probably a new socket, probably will support pcie 4. 3070ti and 3080ti with more vram are expected to be announced in Feb.

A 3060 ti is a noticeable improvement from the 1070 for most games, can do 144+fps in a lot of games where the 1070 can't. You could upgrade the gpus without doing anything else. And for 1080p, 8gb is probably fine, you can run everything maxed out for a while.

If you are getting a 4k or 1440p monitor the 3060 ti is still a good option, but you won't be able to run everyone on max settings, and there are some games now where you need to turn settings down to stay under 8gb. A lot of games would need a 3080 to run on 120+ fps with maxed settings.

The i5 6600 single threaded performance is pretty good, only about 35% slower than the newest intel and 50% slower than the newest AMD cpus for single thread performance. Most games are limited by single thread performance, and effectively not cpu limited. But it is only 4 threads, some newer games would be noticeably faster on an 8 thread cpu, especially if you get a high framerate monitor.

I forgot to mention that this is a US-based system.

A lot of this is technically beyond me, but I appreciate the feedback. I actually do have a 144 monitor (that runs at a modest 1920x1080), but if I am being honest I don't really notice much of a difference between 144 and 60. I must have slow eyes. What made me realise that it's been over 3.5 years was that some very modern games such as Cyberpunk and RDR2 were running somewhat choppily on medium settings. I do not plan to upgrade my monitor in the near future, but I think that my next monitor will be one of those curved ones if I can find one with built-in speakers like my current screen.

I like the idea of waiting a bit and getting a version of the 3060 with more memory if I don't need to upgrade my CPU. Just for the sake of argument, is the 6800 1) Any good? (online reviews were really disappointing) and B) Is it too much card for my chip? I have no problem paying an extra $200 for the extra power, but I don't want to waste it on a lovely card or have my aging processor slow it down.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The 6800 doesn't have ray tracing or DLSS and raytracing without it is in a rough place, though they've promised to come up with something. Its otherwise overkill for 1080p, but moreover it literally barely exists. Stock of the new AMD cards makes 30X0 cards look common as dirt.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 29, 2020

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
The 6800 does have RT, but it doesn’t work with games that use the proprietary NVidia version.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

yikes! posted:

I'm in the US and mostly play WoW, Paradox, and Total War games at 1440p. My current desktop is 6ish years old and I'm looking to do a total rebuild. Can I get away with Micro ATX with these components or do I need the full-size? Are there any cheaper GPUs that are a nice upgrade over a GTX 970? I was looking at some newer $200-300 GPUs (RX 590 and 5500 XT mostly) and they seemed like barely an upgrade.

The parts market is all kinds of weird right now, that price for the (old) 5700 XT is very wrong. For your use case, an RTX 3060Ti at ~$400 would be excellent value. The 3700X is a good processor but the 5600x is cheaper at msrp and better in every way. It's worth playing the waiting/stock hunting game to get the best value for your money, unless you need a PC right the gently caress now.

An 850W PSU is also overkill, 600 or 650W should be more than enough for a 5600x and 3060Ti. I would take those savings and get a better featured b550 mobo, up your storage to a 1tb SSD (the WS sn550 is the standard rec), and get a better CPU cooler in the ~$50 range (Noctua nh-u12s, scythe fuma 2, mugen 5 etc).

Nothing wrong with going mATX.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

felat posted:

I managed to get my hands on a 3070 on newegg so I'm starting my PC build earlier, and could really use some help as I'm no good at picking parts... (posting a link to the GPU I got as it's on the heftier side and might influence the rest https://www.newegg.ca/msi-geforce-rtx-3070-rtx-3070-suprim-x-8g/p/N82E16814137620?Item=N82E16814137620 )

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Mostly gaming, a bit of photoshop and very mild 3D work. I play a lot of the latest gaming releases and would like to try games with RTX.
What's your budget? 1500 CAN$, excluding the GPU (so my real total was about 2500CAN$). I need a Windows 10 license (one that I can re-use on a different build in 5-7 years if possible, not the one-and-done kind). Already have monitor, mouse, and keyboard.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? I do illustration work so I sometimes work with quite large Photoshop files, but it's not a problem on my current 5 year old build so I don't see it being one going forward.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I have a 1440 165Hz Pixio monitor.

I'm still on the waiting list for an EVGA 3080 and will get one if my turn ever comes up, at which time I'll give my 3070 to my boyfriend.

Let me know if I'm missing anything, and thanks in advance!

edit: would love it if I can re-use my current case, and R5 fractal design https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sjX2FT/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr5bk

A 1TB SSD would be perfect too.

So this is what I came up loosely following sean10mm's guide (thanks!)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($429.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.37 @ Vuugo)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste ($12.45 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB SUPRIM X Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.78 @ iSanek)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1285.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-28 20:52 EST-0500

I already have the GPU ordered, and I already have the case on my current build. Does this seem good to go? The biggest guess was the Mobo as when I start reading the specs and stuff my eyes glaze over and I can't understand much. My case has two 3.0 usb ports (not the small usb-c, but regular usb written "3.0" underneath). Do I need a special mobo for this?

edit: posted wrong links first time

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

felat posted:

The biggest guess was the Mobo as when I start reading the specs and stuff my eyes glaze over and I can't understand much. My case has two 3.0 usb ports (not the small usb-c, but regular usb written "3.0" underneath). Do I need a special mobo for this?

I just checked the manual for your board and it has the requisite connections for your case's front usb.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Are Ryzen 3 processors now just impossible to get? I was thinking of a 3200g for a friend's super cheap tower to replace her imac but I can't find them in stock anywhere, and definitely not for $99.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

I just checked the manual for your board and it has the requisite connections for your case's front usb.

Thank you!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

change my name posted:

Are Ryzen 3 processors now just impossible to get? I was thinking of a 3200g for a friend's super cheap tower to replace her imac but I can't find them in stock anywhere, and definitely not for $99.

Pretty much. If it's just a home computer a used Dell is usually the cheapest / easiest way to go.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Some Goon posted:

Pretty much. If it's just a home computer a used Dell is usually the cheapest / easiest way to go.

Apparently the comparable i3 is still in stock everywhere for $115 so I'll go with that. I don't mind building a little sub $500 box for her, I assume it'll last way longer than a used optiplex

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

change my name posted:

Apparently the comparable i3 is still in stock everywhere for $115 so I'll go with that. I don't mind building a little sub $500 box for her, I assume it'll last way longer than a used optiplex

It's a fine choice, just make sure it's not an -F model if you're planning on going with the integrated graphics, since the -F models don't have them.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

denereal visease posted:

Are they all actually spinning at 100%? Have/can you check using HWInfo64?

I had a board that actually just didn't use the CPU temp to adjust fan speed. I could set whatever curve I wanted, but it only ran the fans at the lowest speed I set. Your 5800X is running hotter than mine in an air-cooled SFF build (w/PPT capped @ 130W), so something seems off.

I just checked, all the fans are running at 100% when they should, so the fans are operating properly. I did another stress test and it was only hitting 83° as a max, so it is a lot better then it was before the Noctua fans. That said, it is odd, but that seems within parameters, and I'm wondering if I just got a hot chip. I am hoping to get a 5900X sometime in the next month, as I have someone who wants my 5800X for their eventual build.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
how long is a bios "flashback" supposed to run? im doing it on my asus b550m and the little green light has been on for like, an hour

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

tinaun posted:

how long is a bios "flashback" supposed to run? im doing it on my asus b550m and the little green light has been on for like, an hour

Not that long. Try a different flash drive.

Is it blinking?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
no, just solid green

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

tinaun posted:

no, just solid green

Yeah, try a different flash drive. For some reason older, smaller drives tend to work better.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Looking to build my first gaming PC, as I'm tired of barely being able to get even old games to run on my crappy old laptop (it runs the current WoW expansion at 20 FPS max, for reference).

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Gaming, Web & Office.
What's your budget? $800-$1200
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I'm looking for something mid-range performance-wise - I don't need the highest end/bleeding-edge graphics.

I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to hardware, but here's what I came up with. Does this build match my goals? Are there ways for me to save any $ without compromising too much performance/reliability?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($489.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXF 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1126.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-28 23:38 EST-0500

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Since these are not PWM https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-icue-sp120-rgb-pro-120mm-system-cabinet-fan-kit-with-rgb-lighting-black-white/6356250.p?skuId=6356250, how is the speed controlled? It has the hub which connects via USB to the mobo, can you not set a fan curve in iCUE?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Quarterroys posted:

Looking to build my first gaming PC, as I'm tired of barely being able to get even old games to run on my crappy old laptop (it runs the current WoW expansion at 20 FPS max, for reference).

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Gaming, Web & Office.
What's your budget? $800-$1200
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I'm looking for something mid-range performance-wise - I don't need the highest end/bleeding-edge graphics.

I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to hardware, but here's what I came up with. Does this build match my goals? Are there ways for me to save any $ without compromising too much performance/reliability?

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($489.99 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: Corsair CXF 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1126.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-28 23:38 EST-0500

Never cheap out on PSU. There are really no good psus that have RGB in existence.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1141.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-29 01:01 EST-0500

Go with the EVGA Supernova GA 650, 10 year warranty, 80+ Gold rated. EVGA has high quality power supplies along with Seasonic and Superflower. The 20 dollar increase over the Corsair PSU gets you a quiet, high efficiency power supply that has higher quality components that will last long enough for you to carry it over to your next PC build.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 29, 2020

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats the top dog non-conductive thermal paste for general use that isnt 3x more expensive for a tenth of a percent lower temp? Something I can leave on a pc for 3 years without too much fear of severe degradation

Last time I bought gelid was the hot(cold) stuff and I just used my last tube.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

whats the top dog non-conductive thermal paste for general use that isnt 3x more expensive for a tenth of a percent lower temp? Something I can leave on a pc for 3 years without too much fear of severe degradation

Last time I bought gelid was the hot(cold) stuff and I just used my last tube.

Cryonaut

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Grizzly-Kryonaut-Grease-Paste/dp/B011F7W3LU

Wins in many many benchmarks and it's :10bux:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$10 for 1 gram, im gonna go with the 11 gram tube for $30

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Fauxtool posted:

How many grams of thermal paste do you think you will have a use for?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

You can get 7.8 grams for $14.28, better deal and OutletPC is a seller I can vouch for:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Grizzly-Aeronaut-Performance-Grease/dp/B00ZJS78VW

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

Never cheap out on PSU. There are really no good psus that have RGB in existence.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1141.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-29 01:01 EST-0500

Go with the EVGA Supernova GA 650, 10 year warranty, 80+ Gold rated. EVGA has high quality power supplies along with Seasonic and Superflower. The 20 dollar increase over the Corsair PSU gets you a quiet, high efficiency power supply that has higher quality components that will last long enough for you to carry it over to your next PC build.

Awesome. Thank you! No idea what I'm doing, so this advice is super helpful.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
  • What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? Home office and some gaming (no streaming, editing, etc.). I have a 1440p 144hz monitor that I am only using for the resolution and sweet Excel spreadsheet size
  • What's your budget? Around $1000-$1500 based on what I can get
  • If you're doing professional work, what software do you need to use? N/A
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p, 144hz. I realize that I'm not going to utilize this well

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Case: Corsair 275Q ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($446.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $1636.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-29 08:37 EST-0500

This is what I'm thinking for a reasonable game performance at 1440, maybe with some settings turned down. I already have the monitor which I've been using for a while for the extra resolution and it is quite nice so I don't want to change that out.

• Here's my dumb question: I realize that the 3060ti is basically unobtainable right now. I currently have a Radeon 7800 PCI-E card in my existing computer. Can I use that with this setup for a few months while I wait for a 3060? PCPartPicker doesn't flag any problems, but this card is so old I'm not sure their database even has this card's info, or if this will work in that motherboard. If so, I can pull the trigger on everything but the video card today.
  • Is there anything else I should look at, or maybe any significant improvements for a reasonable cost? I'd appreciate any recommendations
  • While I'd like to go Ryzen 5/5600, the 3600 sounds like it would be fine for my purpose and is available now, is this worth holding out for?
  • Is aftermarket CPU cooling really needed if I'm leaving everything stock and not overclocking?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Samadhi posted:

I just checked, all the fans are running at 100% when they should, so the fans are operating properly. I did another stress test and it was only hitting 83° as a max, so it is a lot better then it was before the Noctua fans. That said, it is odd, but that seems within parameters, and I'm wondering if I just got a hot chip. I am hoping to get a 5900X sometime in the next month, as I have someone who wants my 5800X for their eventual build.
I guess at this point you can try repasting or capping PPT if the temps bother you. The temps don't seem crazy to me, but they are on the higher side for the 5800Xs that get posted about here.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tinaun posted:

no, just solid green

To be more specific than the other post, solid green indicates a failure. The light should blink for about 5 minutes and then turn off to indicate a successful BIOS flash.

Using another USB drive can help, and you have to make sure the BIOS file is named according to the instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Discomancer posted:

• What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? Home office and some gaming (no streaming, editing, etc.). I have a 1440p 144hz monitor that I am only using for the resolution and sweet Excel spreadsheet size
  • What's your budget? Around $1000-$1500 based on what I can get
  • If you're doing professional work, what software do you need to use? N/A
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p, 144hz. I realize that I'm not going to utilize this well

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Case: Corsair 275Q ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($446.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $1636.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-29 08:37 EST-0500

This is what I'm thinking for a reasonable game performance at 1440, maybe with some settings turned down. I already have the monitor which I've been using for a while for the extra resolution and it is quite nice so I don't want to change that out.

• Here's my dumb question: I realize that the 3060ti is basically unobtainable right now. I currently have a Radeon 7800 PCI-E card in my existing computer. Can I use that with this setup for a few months while I wait for a 3060? PCPartPicker doesn't flag any problems, but this card is so old I'm not sure their database even has this card's info, or if this will work in that motherboard. If so, I can pull the trigger on everything but the video card today.
  • Is there anything else I should look at, or maybe any significant improvements for a reasonable cost? I'd appreciate any recommendations
  • While I'd like to go Ryzen 5/5600, the 3600 sounds like it would be fine for my purpose and is available now, is this worth holding out for?
  • Is aftermarket CPU cooling really needed if I'm leaving everything stock and not overclocking?

The 3600 + 3060 ti is what I have and 1) yes, it's a great 1440p gaming experience (with DLSS on if you turn on ray tracing), 2) the stock cooler works really well but it's very loud, replace it if your PC is going to sit on your desk.