Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What am I looking at? Is that second one using TERF dog whistles?

More TERF foghorns but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

What I want to know is what about the UK produces so many TERFs, is it just an inherent flaw of the Anglo psyche or is there something deeper going on

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Crazycryodude posted:

What I want to know is what about the UK produces so many TERFs, is it just an inherent flaw of the Anglo psyche or is there something deeper going on

The inherent class system in the UK and lack of cross pollination between the white bougie driving force behind second wave feminism and POC meant that there was never any need for them to deal with intersectional feminism. Feminists in the UK are fighting for peerages to get passed down to daughters rather than trying to improve things for POC or trans* people.

Obviously this isn't universal but there is a huge blind spot in the people pushing the message about feminism in the UK. Rather than having introspection they huff farts. It's also probably a lot easier for them to find someone who is fash in their social circles than someone who is a minority so you they're able to relate and cross pollinate messages.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

More TERF foghorns but yeah.

Well, I hope she drops her purse down a storm drain.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

he shouldn't have apologized, and had garfield join the viet cong

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope

Inceltown posted:

The inherent class system in the UK and lack of cross pollination between the white bougie driving force behind second wave feminism and POC meant that there was never any need for them to deal with intersectional feminism. Feminists in the UK are fighting for peerages to get passed down to daughters rather than trying to improve things for POC or trans* people.

Obviously this isn't universal but there is a huge blind spot in the people pushing the message about feminism in the UK. Rather than having introspection they huff farts. It's also probably a lot easier for them to find someone who is fash in their social circles than someone who is a minority so you they're able to relate and cross pollinate messages.

It's also, I think, just due to how well TERFism spread on mumsnet in particular. Because it's a forum all the people on it are at least passably Online, worryingly dedicated to their stupid cause, and likely to come up in threads like these as a result. I doubt the percentage of TERFism (however you'd want to measure it) in the US and UK are all that different, it's just that US TERFs are less online as a whole. they're busy making GBS threads up the PTO meeting or asking for the manager at Chipotle because they have a gender neutral bathroom.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah it's weird that in my imagination if someone said "picture a uk feminist" i would roll my eyes and see the abfab women

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i say swears online posted:

yeah it's weird that in my imagination if someone said "picture a uk feminist" i would roll my eyes and see the abfab women

quote:

After years of dancing around it on the show, Joanna Lumley has revealed that Absolutely Fabulous' Patsy Stone is transgender.

The Absolutely Fabulous star - who plays the fashion editor in the sitcom and its upcoming big screen adventure - was discussing the comedy's relationship with the LGBT community when she made the revealed.

"You go back and pick through it, the amount of gay references and ease with which it's been put into the story, without it being dragged along like a great log of plot," she told V magazine.

"It's really normal that one of Edina's ex-husbands now lives with his young boyfriend. It's completely normal that Edina wants Saffy to be a lesbian or that Serge is gay and living in New York.

"It's completely normal that Patsy is transgender."

The show's creator and writer, Jennifer Saunders added that she's really glad the show is beloved by the community because she's tried for years to make it offensive as possible.

"We tried very hard but they refused to be offended - and I admire them for that," she added. "Thank God you're hanging on in there."

:psyduck:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/patsy-stone-transgender-reveals-absolutely-8109650

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wait what

she dumbledore'd herself

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I can not express how much I hate that "people are just machines made of meat" bazinga science bullshit
cmon rick, you crazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHZtwsc_tIg

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.cracked.com/article_29253_why-are-british-celebs-such-complete-jerks-to-trans-people.html

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Nothing will ever come close to that Buddy Holly parody video

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

THS
Sep 15, 2017

junpei stop i beg you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

teens

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

THS posted:

junpei stop i beg you

What's wrong

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

who was that “anarchist” teen on Twitter who would only post about how teachers are fascists and parents making you do your homework or you’re grounded was tantamount to naziism

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

who was that “anarchist” teen on Twitter who would only post about how teachers are fascists and parents making you do your homework or you’re grounded was tantamount to naziism

Every teen with Twitter ever

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
homework is about 70% good and 30% bad imo

THS
Sep 15, 2017

my roommate keeps playing loud music at night and my piece of poo poo car is making a weird clicking sound when i go over 30

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

homework is about 70% good and 30% bad imo

I’d say it’s more like 50/50, the only homework I actually found helpful was practicing math (which admittedly sucks poo poo) and reading with guided questions (mostly in English, sometimes history, and rarely science)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

THS posted:

my roommate keeps playing loud music at night and my piece of poo poo car is making a weird clicking sound when i go over 30

where’s the click coming from

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

THS posted:

have you checked your suspension and CV joints

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm out of high school, doing a gap year because plague

THS
Sep 15, 2017

indigi posted:

where’s the click coming from

the front, i can hear it faintly from the drivers side. the clicks are constant but irregular in pattern. usually i ignore sounds that arent loud but this one is new

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

have you checked your suspension and CV joints

excuse me what

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

sounds reasonable tbh

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
it is kinda weird that we consider bringing your work home with you every day to be unhealthy and a sign of poor boundaries yet we expect every child to do that exact thing for like 12 years straight and if they dont comply we cut them off from future opportunities

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Marx Headroom posted:

it is kinda weird that we consider bringing your work home with you every day to be unhealthy and a sign of poor boundaries yet we expect every child to do that exact thing for like 12 years straight and if they dont comply we cut them off from future opportunities

not really

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I ditched my AP classes after middle school but after that I never had homework. suck it up, AP nerds

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

THS posted:

the front, i can hear it faintly from the drivers side. the clicks are constant but irregular in pattern. usually i ignore sounds that arent loud but this one is new

excuse me what

constant velocity joints, they're what sends power to the drive wheels in your-probably-front wheel drive car, and when they start to go can make clicking noises like you describe

If you look under your car and the rubber boots are tore open you should get it to a mechanic as that CV joint needs replacing; if the boots are intact it can still be the CV

if a CV joint fails entirely the wheel won't fall off but it will disable your car

it can also be a bunch of other things, CV just sounds most likely

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wheeee posted:

constant velocity joints, they're what sends power to the drive wheels in your-probably-front wheel drive car, and when they start to go can make clicking noises like you describe

If you look under your car and the rubber boots are tore open you should get it to a mechanic as that CV joint needs replacing; if the boots are intact it can still be the CV

if a CV joint fails entirely the wheel won't fall off but it will disable your car

it can also be a bunch of other things, CV just sounds most likely

lol CV joints are rad as hell because they loudly announce to all around that the person in the clicky car can't fuckin drive

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

THS posted:

excuse me what

Common causes of clicking while driving. Could be something wrong with your suspension, or with the constant velocity (CV) joints. Could be something else!

A quick google brought up this guide, which I skimmed and it seems fine for doing some basic diagnostic work on your own if you don't want to take it in to a mechanic. Hope it helps!

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-troubleshoot-a-clicking-or-popping-sound-in-car-wheels-by-marvin-sunderland

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

THS posted:

Happens to everyone over 30, and it's not going to get better, let me tell you.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

also disproportionally benefits rich kids who have a stay at home parent or tutors. or otherwise its some poo poo students are just gonna copy off google or mathlab. homework is objectively garbage