Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Servetus posted:

What are those little wing things on the back of his shoulder blades supposed to be? There was an armor in Dragonfall that looked like that and I could never figure out what those were.
Leg rests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

All of the Hong Kong companions are the best character.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the dude who sells you drones is better characterized than some aaa protags

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the dude who sells you drones is better characterized than some aaa protags

What blows me away about the quality of the writing in this game is that in spite of how good it is you can skip almost all of it if you don't keep talking to everyone all the time

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RabidWeasel posted:

What blows me away about the quality of the writing in this game is that in spite of how good it is you can skip almost all of it if you don't keep talking to everyone all the time

And not seeing almost all of it is probably how most people played it :v:

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

The Lone Badger posted:

All of the Hong Kong companions are the best character.

Even Duncan, and I thought Duncan was a dick and pretty much never brought him on missions (since there's other characters who can use rifles almost as well plus do other things). By being kind of a dick he provided a nice degree of narrative tension.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

They are all competent and interesting characters but I personally find the Dragonfall crew more appealing as a group.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Daduzi posted:

Even Duncan, and I thought Duncan was a dick and pretty much never brought him on missions (since there's other characters who can use rifles almost as well plus do other things). By being kind of a dick he provided a nice degree of narrative tension.

He's abrasive but that just makes him a better little brother.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Honestly I never really felt like Duncan was a dick, his cold demeanour to you at first is entirely understandable given how your disappearance looked from his end. And his general attitude being lousy felt like a deeply normal reaction to the fact that he's now stuck in a situation he hates.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Duncan has the problem where his first impression really puts people off, which means they bench him for one of the more immediately compelling characters. And once he's on the bench, he doesn't have nearly as many opportunities to make up for it and be endearing as someone actively getting brought along.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think the perfect explanation of Duncan's character is that at the end game, when the stakes have peaked, he still keeps trying to bring people in alive because he can't let go of the past.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Duncan's problem is that he's not only the most "normal" character in terms of the writing but he's also gameplay-boring, being "guy with rifle". All the other characters are far more interesting, even the token decker gets some cool guns to make up for deckers normally being boring / something of a liability in regular combat.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RabidWeasel posted:

Duncan's problem is that he's not only the most "normal" character in terms of the writing but he's also gameplay-boring, being "guy with rifle". All the other characters are far more interesting, even the token decker gets some cool guns to make up for deckers normally being boring / something of a liability in regular combat.

Weirdly enough, I don't think anyone had that take on Eiger in the Dragonfall LP, which is weird since she's "troll with rifle". If anything, Dietrich and Glory got more of the "ehn" vote, with Blitz being the combat dead-weight that you'd expect a Mandatory Decker to be.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eiger has the neat hook of being a real professional who was disappointed to be a Shadowrunner. And who trusted and liked Monika and had to adjust to Rosa, which made her and Rosa slowly becoming buddies and Rosa her trusted squad lead that much more satisfying.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

KataraniSword posted:

Weirdly enough, I don't think anyone had that take on Eiger in the Dragonfall LP, which is weird since she's "troll with rifle". If anything, Dietrich and Glory got more of the "ehn" vote, with Blitz being the combat dead-weight that you'd expect a Mandatory Decker to be.

If I count then I kinda have that take, especially on my original non-LP playthrough I always found Eiger to be the least memorable Dragonfall crew member by a considerable margin. Even now I can barely remember the names of the people from her backstory, her strict military personality was by its nature very straightforward, and her personal mission ended up being very flat compared to the others.

I think if Duncan was just a runner you meet in Hong Kong he'd feel largely the same, but him being our childhood friend and also our fellow "outsider" to the shadow world of Hong Kong goes a long way to making him and his role more interesting. I can still remember a number of good scenes with Duncan (including in the next update) but nothing immediately jumps out with Eiger even this soon after the previous LP. Of course a lot of that is owed to the character writing which I overall find greatly improved in this game.

At any rate, I hope to see what people not familiar with the game will think about the various characters as we meet and learn more about them, so far it seems we mostly have Hong Kong veterans here.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

RabidWeasel posted:

True starting off, but then he becomes "guy with a rifle with riot slugs that bean people out of cover" and then "guy who catches every grenade and sends them right back". He's really solid mechanically. His Subdue is an instakill on stunned people that never fails too, so he's a really good pair-up with a punchyfist or shotgun MC. No need to geek the mage when you can just book him, Dano.

It's just that Izzie is more or less required if you're no decker and Gobbet is your friendly neighbourhood Hastebot if you're no wizzard (plus her elementals range from nice ablative armor to goddamn mean), which leaves 1 open slots for 3 potential people, and in many cases at least one of them is heavily hinted to be Real Good On This Mission soooo...

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 29, 2020

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
I think one of the big factors for not seeing companion's characterizations is that in HK, they won't have anything to say if you don't bring them along on a run. In DF, they'll comment on your last run whether or not they were there.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

True starting off, but then he becomes "guy with a rifle with riot slugs that bean people out of cover" and then "guy who catches every grenade and sends them right back". He's really solid mechanically. His Subdue is an instakill on stunned people that never fails too, so he's a really good pair-up with a punchyfist or shotgun MC. No need to geek the mage when you can just book him, Dano.

It's just that Izzie is more or less required if you're no decker and Gobbet is your friendly neighbourhood Hastebot if you're no wizzard (plus her elementals range from nice ablative armor to goddamn mean), which leaves 1 open slots for 3 potential people, and in many cases at least one of them is heavily hinted to be Real Good On This Mission soooo...

Lorewise, cuffing the mage doesn't do poo poo. They don't need their hands to melt you into a puddle, they just need to be able to see you (sense, really, but sight is the most reliable). Kind of a shame that isn't modeled- one of the biggest nightmares of dealing with mages is that until they are dead they are a threat. An unconscious mage is a mage that might get you via ritual later if you left any physical evidence behind. Always geek the mage, and geek the mage first.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

apostateCourier posted:

Lorewise, cuffing the mage doesn't do poo poo. They don't need their hands to melt you into a puddle, they just need to be able to see you (sense, really, but sight is the most reliable). Kind of a shame that isn't modeled- one of the biggest nightmares of dealing with mages is that until they are dead they are a threat. An unconscious mage is a mage that might get you via ritual later if you left any physical evidence behind. Always geek the mage, and geek the mage first.

Oh I know. But in this case, zipcuffs are plenty good 'nuff. Who am I to argue ? Don't look a gift horse in the bush, that's my motto.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 29, 2020

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Keldulas posted:

Having now seen Isobel in action, she's basically the primary reason why being a Decker feels pointless. She has custom weapons which always seemed to be strong for any point in the game, and I never encountered problems with her Decking.

*Blitz downs another fifth of vodka*

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

apostateCourier posted:

there's magecuffs and magemasks that will actually do the job in the tt crunch. if you don't send them to mage jail somehow and dont geek them they might geek you by ritual later yah

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 29, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kobal2 posted:

*Blitz downs another fifth of vodka*

Blitz's actions in giving that poor trapped nerd the season finale of his awful fantasy show make him a hero on their own.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

there's magecuffs and magemasks that will actually do the job in the crunch. if you don't send them to mage jail somehow and dont geek them they might geek you by ritual later yah

The problem is the long term more than anything if you let a hostile mage live. They're too dangerous to leave alive unless your magical defenses are spot on, which they won't be unless you have an absurd amount of money or know some drek-hot mages of your own (whom you will almost certainly have to pay for the trouble)

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

apostateCourier posted:

The problem is the long term more than anything if you let a hostile mage live. They're too dangerous to leave alive unless your magical defenses are spot on, which they won't be unless you have an absurd amount of money or know some drek-hot mages of your own (whom you will almost certainly have to pay for the trouble)

C'mon, you're being paranoid. Most of the time it was just business, they know that. It's not like you're shooting them in the head personal-like.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Oh, that's the other thing to be aware of: if you have to kill a mage who is astrally projecting, you had better do your damnedest to make sure they can't figure out who killed their body. Because now they're just counting down the minutes until their soul dies too, and they have nothing to lose by making you suffer for killing them by whatever means they have available.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

C'mon, you're being paranoid. Most of the time it was just business, they know that. It's not like you're shooting them in the head personal-like.

Paranoid is better than dead, chummer.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Getting viable material for a ritual is pretty hard, it decays fast. Even if you bleed all over an Aztechnology facility they can still only use it for a few hours. They might be able to freeze it, but that's not reliable and it only slows down the decay.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

C'mon, you're being paranoid.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

wiegieman posted:

Even if you bleed all over an Aztechnology facility they can still only use it for a few hours.

Maybe, but it's not something I'm interested in verifying.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

Paranoid is better than dead, chummer.

OTOH, being a bit too eager about killing mages gets you attention and that attention can turn into Attention and then people whose Attention you have attracted might find your behaviour questionable.

Also any contamination such as rain or fire suppression fluids over the sample will make it decay and become useless within minutes, getting tracked down by genetics is a more serious threat in most cases.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

OTOH, being a bit too eager about killing mages gets you attention and that attention can turn into Attention and then people whose Attention you have attracted might find your behaviour questionable.

...I'm talking about not holding back against mages who are trying to kill you, what do you think I'm talking about?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SIGSEGV posted:

Also any contamination such as rain or fire suppression fluids over the sample will make it decay and become useless within minutes, getting tracked down by genetics is a more serious threat in most cases.

theres gear for that too. grenade w dna in it

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

theres gear for that too. grenade w dna in it

I'd forgotten about those. There's also a magical formula for disappearing biological evidence, so there are solutions to that specific aspect of the problem yes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
one of the reasons this game is also amazing is it's a marvel of project management. if they didn't have the chutzpah to cut all sorts of poo poo out of the tabletop game this thing wouldn't have gotten made. and if the story wasn't really great the game would suck. but the story is great so they spent the right amount of money on the right poo poo

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

...I'm talking about not holding back against mages who are trying to kill you, what do you think I'm talking about?

I meant it for players magdumping in downed mages after a fight, yeah, no one reasonable is gonna hold it against someone shooting people shooting fire and necrosis at them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I would say duncan is a really well done shooty man. Mechanically he has his nonlethal/lethal trees that are interesting and they also tie in well to his narrative crisis of his old life versus the new one.

And on a purely narrative front, him having a strained relationship with the PC and Raymond as family is interesting and let's the player develop things in several different ways.

He's a million times more interesting than eiger, a generic, stoic, professional soldier that's upset command got handed to a rookie when her boss died.

Oh, and unlike a certain someone, gunshow here can actually handle the big guns.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
So happy we met Gobbet and Is0bel. They're my faves. :allears:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, it's cool that Duncan and other party members has got a talent tree that represents the side of his life he's embracing.

It's also nice that time to time some party member skills are relevant outside of combat and decking. There's a particular incident I'm thinking of where you ask "[Partymember], what do you think about this?" and they'll solve a check for you.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
[there were some spoilers here, now there aren't. thank you for your cooperation. -fedule]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Man don't post poo poo that we haven't seen yet, c'mon. Keep it in your pants.