Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Hadlock posted:

3/4 of the way down they mention that this building was constructed before backdraft vent valves were mandated, and also it's a passive ventilation system

Big gubmint :argh:

I’m curious if any building standards around ventilation will change as a result of the pandemic.

It seems insane that every year tons of people get the flu or a severe cold and the reaction has been :shrug: what can ya do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Probably shouldn't assume it's not, I'd guess cold and flu cases are way down this year. I remember flu cases were that way at the tail end of flu season last year due to covid precautions.

Flu season in the southern hemisphere was also basically nonexistent this year. I'd expect similar results in the northern hemisphere, but probably not quite as good because of lockdown fatigue and the fact that the US is superspreader central.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

imandyyo posted:

That’s the part that’s got me down lately. So many people just living life and having fun and still not getting it while I’m being ultra conservative and feeling like an rear end in a top hat. Kind of angry/resentful some days especially on behalf of my kids.

The most infuriating part is that, because of their blind luck they're never going to acknowledge the damage covid-19 has done to just about every part of society and the absolutely mindblowing amount of families torn apart, and those who get it and survive probably won't learn it either :(

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
This whole thing sucks so much right now.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
It's pretty bad!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I know some distant relatives who had a 5 or 6 household, 20ish person gathering. Very few of them are taking even the simplest of precautions so I won't be shocked if there's some cases coming out of that.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
v much looking forward to the new features of the 2021 model year corona

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

7of7 posted:

Big gubmint :argh:

I’m curious if any building standards around ventilation will change as a result of the pandemic.

It seems insane that every year tons of people get the flu or a severe cold and the reaction has been :shrug: what can ya do?

I think a lot more people are going to wear masks on public transit going forward. And day care now force kids to wash and disinfect their hands entering/leaving the premises. That will probably stay with them up adult age.

After the 1918 spanish flu they switched the materials on hand rails, doorknobs/pulls etc to brass as it has an antiseptic effect on flu virus

Also I think that may have spurred soap dispensers in public restrooms, but not sure

Coronavirus doesn't smear transmit very well but soap kills it pretty good so there's not much to do there

Our lobby in our building now has a hepa filter that runs 24/7 as it's a high traffic area, and hepa filters are about 99% effective, I'm pushing for the HOA to install a second one because of the volume

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
A big thing I hope happens after we get back into offices (if we even do) is that people will take spreading illness more seriously. I've worked with a lot of stupid fucks who take some weird pride into coming into work sick like they're true soldiers toughing it out. gently caress off, you're going to give us all strep, Greg.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

A big thing I hope happens after we get back into offices (if we even do) is that people will take spreading illness more seriously. I've worked with a lot of stupid fucks who take some weird pride into coming into work sick like they're true soldiers toughing it out. gently caress off, you're going to give us all strep, Greg.

Narrator: They learned nothing

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

These are the same asshats sending IMs at 11pm to show that they're still working. gently caress off, you're setting a bad example, Greg

Of course that's assuming white collar office with plenty of sick leave. I'm sure there are people coming into other types of work sick because they'll be fired or lose a day's pay otherwise. So yeah minimum required sick leave laws would be great.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It'd be cool if nanobodies ended up working out too. Very cool tech with some interesting potential applications.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

edit oops

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Finally had to just deactivate my facebook like a lot of my friends have. Between pro-trump conspiracy nut relatives, relative and friend adjacent people posting memes about "People swarm into grocery stores why can't restaurants be open!" and the occasional "This is communism, our parents would have never allowed our freedoms to be stolen in fear!" I...just can't take it anymore, especially come home from a hospital around covid patients.

Finding out so many people I thought I knew are in face grossly ignorant, stupid, and selfish has been the worst gut punch of 2020.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They finally figured out why Russia's covid death toll was way way down compared to most other countries: they were just plain lying about the numbers and they'd reclassified two thirds of their covid deaths under other causes.

quote:

The Rosstat statistics agency said that the number of deaths from all causes recorded between January and November had risen by 229,700 compared to the previous year.

"More than 81 per cent of this increase in mortality over this period is due to COVID," said Deputy Prime Minister Tatiana Golikova, meaning that over 186,000 Russians have died from COVID-19.

Russian health officials have registered more than 3 million infections since the start of the pandemic, putting the country's caseload at fourth-highest in the world.

But they have only reported 55,265 deaths — a much lower fatality rate than in other badly hit countries.

Edit: oh and they've already detected a case of the new South African strain in Australia, and they'd already found the new UK strain here as well. Both cases were detected in returned travelers who were already in hotel quarantine so hopefully they've been contained.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-29/coronavirus-queensland-records-first-case-south-african-strain/13010534

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 29, 2020

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

When I got promoted to a non-union position, I found out we don't get sick time or vacation time we get 12 days a year paid-time off and that's it. One maintenance supervisor working there 18 years still only got 12 days off a year, that's it. So every sick day we take is another day of vacation you lose. Also we didn't get holidays off and they didn't give holiday pay, and yes that is illegal.

Anyways, I think this problem is the fault of lovely employers not allowing time-off. When I was in a union position we had 12 paid sick days a year, increasing vacation time with seniority (I had 15 days per year,) and also 14 paid holidays a year. So when I was union I didn't use my sick time unless I was sick because I had vacation time and plenty of holidays. When I lost all that becoming non-union, yeah I gotta admit, I came to work loving sick.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why do I feel that pandemics are going to be increasingly common due to climate change?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My boss: “you don’t have health insurance?!”

Motherfucker, you were the one who hired me as a freelancer so you didn’t have to provide it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

i mean i hope so but don't count on it

from 1914 to 1945 like 100 million people were killed due to global wars and humanity learned ????? from all that

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

ruddiger posted:

My boss: “you don’t have health insurance?!”

Motherfucker, you were the one who hired me as a freelancer so you didn’t have to provide it.

For all the shittiness of internships (even paid ones) I am genuinely pleased that my company decided that we would pay extra this year (and hopefully all years moving forward) to offer insurance to the interns we're taking on in a few weeks. It would have been loving monstrous to not do that... so the bar was pretty low, but I'm happy that the powers that be saw a need and decided to fill it nevertheless.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Enos Shenk posted:

I'm starting to think my entire extended family is a bunch of utter idiots.

. Their daughter somehow goes on trips around the world multiple times per year. She just got back from Asia and went to the big christmas party. How none of them haven't had it yet is beyond me.

Do you know which bit of Asia? I'm being nosy cos a lot of bits of Asia wouldn't allow random foreigners in right now. So my mind is kind of blown that some places would be like "yeah, gently caress it, come over".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So, my family member working a VA hospital in the US reports:
40 nurses in her hospital are out of work with COVID symptoms
... including the nurse who trained her, who is on a ventilator and on full oxygen
They're so short-staffed they're covering literally double the number of COVID ICU patients than usual. So even the "available ICU beds" metric being tracked isn't exactly accurate, because they are not receiving the normal standard of care.
They haven't been accepting diversions for weeks. Their hospital tells the other hospital, sorry, please tell your patient to die somewhere else

edit:
https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/infectious-disease-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php

To that regular population of ~1100 non-COVID patients who need ICU beds in the middle of the year, half of them are just not being treated.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 29, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking of the Sydney outbreak ....

quote:

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard slammed a gathering of partygoers at a Sydney beach on Christmas Day.

Police were called to Bronte Beach late on Friday after around 100 people gathered for a Christmas party, breaching current public health orders.

Many in the crowd were believed to be British or Irish nationals wearing Santa hats.

"It is absolutely appalling to see what was clearly a group of people, a large gathering of people who didn't give a drat about the rest of Sydney," he said.

"That event, I am hoping, will not become a super-spreader event, but has every chance that it could be."

"It cannot go on. There is still a major risk for us with COVID, and my message to those people and people who know any of those people, is tell them to stop it, cut it out, or you may well end up with the virus itself."

A 25-year-old man has been issued with a court attendance notice, after the riot squad was called to disperse the Bronte Beach Christmas party.

Police say the man allegedly failed to comply with the move on orders.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-26/coronavirus-live-blog-december-26-nsw-avalon-cluster/13015246

I guess this means that yelling at people for taking dumb risks is now officially part of our recommended covid safety precautions. :v:

Update on this: not only are they going to fine these people, they're looking into cancelling their visas and deporting them. :v::v:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-29/bronte-beach-backpackers-face-deportation-breach-nsw-covid-rules/13018976

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

7of7 posted:

These are the same asshats sending IMs at 11pm to show that they're still working. gently caress off, you're setting a bad example, Greg

Of course that's assuming white collar office with plenty of sick leave. I'm sure there are people coming into other types of work sick because they'll be fired or lose a day's pay otherwise. So yeah minimum required sick leave laws would be great.

Even in worker's paradise Australia where we get a minimum of 10 sick days per year, the common cold lasts 7-10 days and most people under ordinary circumstances catch a cold two or three times a year, so...

HazCat
May 4, 2009

freebooter posted:

Even in worker's paradise Australia where we get a minimum of 10 sick days per year, the common cold lasts 7-10 days and most people under ordinary circumstances catch a cold two or three times a year, so...

Part timers and full timers get a minimum of 10 days sick leave. Casuals get gently caress all (and wage theft is so rife that many aren't getting any loading to make up for the loss of accrued leave, and our federal government is gearing up to reclassify as many jobs to casual as they possibly can).

I get that the 'worker's paradise' was tongue in cheek, but Americans won't know that.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-26/coronavirus-live-blog-december-26-nsw-avalon-cluster/13015246

I guess this means that yelling at people for taking dumb risks is now officially part of our recommended covid safety precautions. :v:

Update on this: not only are they going to fine these people, they're looking into cancelling their visas and deporting them. :v::v:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-29/bronte-beach-backpackers-face-deportation-breach-nsw-covid-rules/13018976

They're all going to Christmas island aren't they?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Z the IVth posted:

They're all going to Christmas island aren't they?

Nah they're white, they'll get a ride home on a comfy plane. ;)

It's actually way more likely that the LNP will just make a lot of noise and do some TV interviews about how they're taking the pandemic seriously but never actually follow up on it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Some will. Some are going to do the illness-management equivalent of riding coal just to spite everyone else, like they're 12 years old. Except you know, with voting rights.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My Aussie apartment gets all air via a split system intake (don't know the proper word) on the balcony. This is still ok I think? Pretty sure there are no internal ducts other than exhaust above the stove/dryer/shower. I guess those could suck air in from the hallway though.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I work with a guy who prides himself on never having taken a sick day in 20 years.
gently caress off, dude.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm on day 5 so far - I started feeling ill on Christmas morning with a pounding headache which progressed to a fever and general body aches. Probably the worst thing was really bad lower back pain, it was excruciating. The fever was gone after two days, and since then I've mostly been feeling better. It's deceptive because I'll wake and feel mostly fine, but any exertion at all makes me feel so tired. So sometimes I kinda feel like I'm already over it, but then a wave of dizziness comes over me or I'll go downstairs to make some tea and feel like I just ran a mile when I get back upstairs. Also some pins and needles and weird bruised feeling inside my left arm. I haven't had many respiratory symptoms at all - coughing up a little gunk today, but I never had a bad cough or anything. What a weird disease this thing is - I'm thankful that I seem to have mostly got off light though.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
All of this is caused by the respiratory stuff being a side effect. It is no a respiratory but a blood vessel disease. The symptoms you experience are the virus loving about in your blood vessels and whatever organs it reaches through those.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Achtane posted:

I work with a guy who prides himself on never having taken a sick day in 20 years.
gently caress off, dude.

Maybe he never got sick in 20 years?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

John F Bennett posted:

Maybe he never got sick in 20 years?

Maybe, except for when I've seen him almost pass out from working while he's sick.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Also some pins and needles and weird bruised feeling inside my left arm.

This is one of the symptoms I had right before I went to the ER and they found a 90% blockage in my heart. I dodged "the widowmaker"

Consistent with

Mithaldu posted:

All of this is caused by the respiratory stuff being a side effect. It is no a respiratory but a blood vessel disease. The symptoms you experience are the virus loving about in your blood vessels and whatever organs it reaches through those.

Telehealth my dude, call them.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

freebooter posted:

You guys have sick days????

Honestly in the places I worked we didn't, or it was really hard to convince the boss to give you at least a day off. Only if the illness was too severe then you could take a few days. We had to go, even with a fever, so the flu and other crap would be circulating among all the employees for months. That's how they all got Covid-19 after I got fired. Scary poo poo and infuriating considering that lots of families got endangered. (My boss got light symptoms so she might believe is not a big deal).

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Achtane posted:

gently caress off, dude.

my dad got cancer and was off work for one and a half years, while remaining employed, continuing to be paid, and having income-based state health insurance cover all medical costs. due to privacy laws his employer never learned what he had and was legally barred from even asking. when my dad was fully recovered and healed from the operation and treatments he returned to work, worked 2 months, reached pension age and went into retirement with the state paying him a pension and his health insurance also being covered by the state

us workers really need to start doing that collective action thing in order to transform the usa away from being a third world hellhole

Kerosene19 posted:

This is one of the symptoms I had right before I went to the ER and they found a 90% blockage in my heart. I dodged "the widowmaker"

Consistent with

Telehealth my dude, call them.

holy poo poo, nice that they caught it for you, and good advice

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 1, 2021

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Mithaldu posted:

my dad got cancer and was off work for a year (maybe even half a year more, memory is dim), while remaining employed, continuing to be paid, and having income-based state health insurance cover all medical costs. due to privacy laws his employer never learned what he had and was legally barred from even asking. when my dad was fully recovered and healed from the operation and treatments he returned to work, worked 2 months, reached pension age and went into retirement with the state paying him a pension and his health insurance also being covered by the state

us workers really need to start doing that collective action thing in order to transform the usa away from being a third world hellhole

Man, that sounds like a fantasy.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Now my chud inlaws' oldest son has covid. They were planning a big family gathering this coming weekend.

Apparently their first hint was that he couldn't catch his breath at wrestling practice.

Why the gently caress is there wrestling practice.

Fuckin Indiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

slinkimalinki posted:

Do you know which bit of Asia? I'm being nosy cos a lot of bits of Asia wouldn't allow random foreigners in right now. So my mind is kind of blown that some places would be like "yeah, gently caress it, come over".

Thailand I think it was.