Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Clarste posted:

I don't like Hunter because it involves not getting 10 kills a turn from outside the enemies' line of sight, oh and also your next turn comes back almost immediately even if you run out of things to shoot.

I mean, you can still do those things with Hunter, but I agree that Sniper gets the most out of Giselle's shooting. Hunter can get down to 0 AT turns through the Monster Trainer mastery set if she has an Earth Pet to just idle near her to reduce her AT (which is likely already 36 or near if she shot from a still position), plus Hunter has a larger Attack board by default, so it is easier to lazily budget get her class masteries and 1s1k + Catharsis there for non-stop shooting.

Anyways, Sniper Giselle can also summon non-legendary beasts (plus legendary Draki you've raised), so she still gets almost all of the bullshit. My only issue with Shadow Sniping in particular is that I sometimes find it a bit fiddly to reposition outside of LoS, but it is super strong, specially when you proc confusion.

On the other hand, I still feel underwhelmed by Kylie's Drones. I guess I just need to suit up and finally get down to building all those modules. I do enjoy having a pair of flame drones flanking Irene so she can trigger Joy of Burning from all the burning world and the revive module is a fantastic addition to the frontline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

That’s pretty fair though. I feel like there’s no progression with drones like there is for characters. It’s either no/some modules “wow these suck rear end” or all modules “what the hell were they thinking”

I need to try out hunter Giselle though cuz I’ve barely used it. Really low AT might be fun since I’ve moved towards more AT reduction over 1s1k for the most part. Except for when I feel like using Ray who has both

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
I think I have a bug wonder if anyone else has seen it. Immortality with Alise is supposed to last 3 turns right? It is only lasting one turn, on a similar note I also had immortality trigger last for three turns however it did not result in her getting the revive debuff.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

SpRahl posted:

I think I have a bug wonder if anyone else has seen it. Immortality with Alise is supposed to last 3 turns right? It is only lasting one turn, on a similar note I also had immortality trigger last for three turns however it did not result in her getting the revive debuff.

The immortality she gets from her mastery only lasts one turn, grants revive, and is intended to do both of those things. It says so in the description of the mastery, but this is made confusing because below that it shows the default description for the immortality buff with the default duration. I assume you got the three turn no-revive immortality from that other mastery she has that gives her a random buff when she gets a rage effect.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've gotten Immortality from the random Lunacy buffs without even having the mastery equipped at all, and it only lasted 1 turn.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I got this game yesterday and I already feel pretty addicted. I was already on board since I like the idea of xcom but just prefer strategy rpgs where your units are actual character characters, but I been really impressed with a lot of it. Like the game really goes for it with presentation sometimes. That opening training montage with Albus that used the same map the entire time but pan the camera around and change titles was goofy but still worked and was a good example of doing something stylistic with the tools you have. Also the game is gayer then XCOM which is another plus.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Snooze Cruise posted:

I got this game yesterday and I already feel pretty addicted. I was already on board since I like the idea of xcom but just prefer strategy rpgs where your units are actual character characters, but I been really impressed with a lot of it. Like the game really goes for it with presentation sometimes. That opening training montage with Albus that used the same map the entire time but pan the camera around and change titles was goofy but still worked and was a good example of doing something stylistic with the tools you have. Also the game is gayer then XCOM which is another plus.

I'm not particularly invested in mlm stuff but I ship Albus and Sion. Like it just makes sense.

Also there's no heterosexual explanation for Irene being disgusted at seeing a good looking dude shirtless.

This is not the face of girl who's attracted to men.

EDIT: And yeah this game is like a serious labor of love. The devs are so nice to the point where you have people begging for them to actually release paid DLC so they can support the devs more.

EDIT2: Also I really like the character designs in general. They're not over the top, especially the girls who have clothes that make sense instead of overly pervy stuff that RPGs would often give them (with the exception of Anne who really needs a longer skirt), but at the same time they're unique enough to not be bland and can easily be identified.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 29, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, I don't think Irene even gets that boys are a possibility. I'm sure there's a bit where some of the shopkeepers try to tease her about getting a boyfriend and she doesn't even understand what they're talking about and just rambles about being a Hero. Everyone's reactions to Heixing walking around half naked all the time is hilarious btw.

Alisa and Bianca are also very obviously a couple though. And Sion is very unfazed when a shopkeeper suggests he's been going on dates with a man (who it turns out was Heixing, he doesn't clarify if it really was a date though).

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 29, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Albus is too in love with work to be in any real relationships anyways.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Nephthys posted:

Alisa and Bianca are also very obviously a couple though.

Even without them saying anything you look at their character designs and it leaves no other possibility.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The game definitely does a great job at using level design to aid in the storytelling and characterization. It's a lot more like Tactics Ogre than XCOM in that way. For example, I wasn't completely sold on Irene's hero obsession until the level where the White Tiger gang attack her neighborhood, torturing and murdering people. It's an absolutely terrifying scenario, and yet Irene is very practical about getting help. It also pays off some character development, in that she knows she can rely on her Troubleshooter friends instead of trying to handle it all herself.

I had to restart a couple of times despite a strong build on Irene. When I finally completed it, I felt like she had earned the hero moniker.

The mechanics also support this really well, like the Immortal enemies being bullshit hard to kill :allears:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Nephthys posted:

And Sion is very unfazed when a shopkeeper suggests he's been going on dates with a man (who it turns out was Heixing, he doesn't clarify if it really was a date though).

I picked this up a couple days ago and one of my first thoughts about Sion was that there was no possible way he was straight.

More on topic: This is an amazing sleeper of a game. It's a bit slow to develop so far (15~ hours in) and I don't understand half these mechanics systems yet but it's great fun so far. Really well put together, too. How it hasn't got more attention, I'll never know.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Even without them saying anything you look at their character designs and it leaves no other possibility.

Game mechanic-wise, Bianca has the "Lovers" bonus that prevents her bond with Alisa from ever decreasing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tempest_56 posted:

I picked this up a couple days ago and one of my first thoughts about Sion was that there was no possible way he was straight.

More on topic: This is an amazing sleeper of a game. It's a bit slow to develop so far (15~ hours in) and I don't understand half these mechanics systems yet but it's great fun so far. Really well put together, too. How it hasn't got more attention, I'll never know.

Going to agree with everyone here, Sion is 100% into boys. Albus has a crush on Bianca, who's clearly an item with Alisa. Giselle is in love with murder.

Honestly, I think it is partly a result of the relatively shoddy English translation (it was a lot worse than it is now) and the fact that Dandylion is one of those studios without anyone with a head for business/marketing, but yeah, I'd call this one the best of the XCOMlikes around and it has a much better endgame than either of the actual XCOMs.

skaianDestiny posted:

EDIT2: Also I really like the character designs in general. They're not over the top, especially the girls who have clothes that make sense instead of overly pervy stuff that RPGs would often give them (with the exception of Anne who really needs a longer skirt), but at the same time they're unique enough to not be bland and can easily be identified.

The Angry Bull Gang uniform you unlock at the start of the DLC at least fixes that by giving Anne pants.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Clarste posted:

Game mechanic-wise, Bianca has the "Lovers" bonus that prevents her bond with Alisa from ever decreasing.

Lol that is so cute.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Trucker Lee really needs to stop getting into so much trouble

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Snooze Cruise posted:

Trucker Lee really needs to stop getting into so much trouble

Some people are just danger-prone

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I take it putting the alternate costumes on heixing which cover him up don't change Irene's friendship penalty with him? ;-)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Memnaelar posted:

I take it putting the alternate costumes on heixing which cover him up don't change Irene's friendship penalty with him? ;-)

Nope, though it'd be a neat touch.

Heixing's bond slots are tight enough as it is anyway, so it's not a big enough loss. I have him with Ray (who's the center piece support/covering fire on my team) and Kylie and I am very sad he can't bond with Leton.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 4, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh god these rabbit bat things make the saddest wheezing sound when they die.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh god these rabbit bat things make the saddest wheezing sound when they die.

They're loving menaces, I hope they die painfully.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
This game seems right up my alley, but I'm seeing people complain about the translation being bad. How bad are we talking? If it's just like a Persona 5 kinda awkward wording once in a while, I'm good.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Elswyyr posted:

This game seems right up my alley, but I'm seeing people complain about the translation being bad. How bad are we talking? If it's just like a Persona 5 kinda awkward wording once in a while, I'm good.

Translation is fully understandable. Game is also really funny because it's like a horrible dystopia held together by duct-taping the world together with the stupidest anime teens possible and that constantly comes through in the writing.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Elswyyr posted:

Translation is perfectly fine now, most of the complaints were just after launch. There's some awkward wording here and there but it's comprehensible.

And yeah, the story is really anime, but I think that's part of the charm.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Elswyyr posted:

This game seems right up my alley, but I'm seeing people complain about the translation being bad. How bad are we talking?

Very clearly translated by people for whom English isn't their first language (although that was six or eight months ago, they've got a volunteer translation thing going which may or may not have helped in the meantime). Lots of mangled idioms and butchered grammar. It's still understandable without too much effort though.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Honestly all the goofy wording really helps with the ambiance in the extremely goofy world.

Speaking of, lore question: is Albus actually hacking people to death or do we have like non-lethal swords and bullets? I know named criminals you "kill" are "arrested," implying non-lethal. But, it's a sword.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Non-lethal swords. Also notice how after we arrest them they are immediately back on the streets for the next mission.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Elswyyr posted:

The beginning is really, really rough still and probably due for a major editing pass, so it makes a bad first impression. After that, though, it's mostly just awkward wording and typos. I would absolutely pledge :20bux: to a kickstarter that promised a full quality manual translation tbqh, the game's story is so lowkey good that it deserves full effort.

---

Unrelatedly, man this game owns. It just needs a bit more of a balancing pass to make a couple characters more consistent but nobody is actually bad and it's kind of amazing to me. Like Albus has probably the most issues (because Magic Knight is too glassy/vulnerable to block and Grand Swordsman desperately needs 100% bladestorm so it has a good way to punch through Block with Combo Attack), and even then he can reliably be counted upon to go onto a side of the map, hold it solo, and then bug out to go do the same elsewhere whenever the team needs him to. Isn't Dandylion like, five guys? It's insane that they made such a good game with so few people.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Clarste posted:

Non-lethal swords. Also notice how after we arrest them they are immediately back on the streets for the next mission.

It’s frankly remarkable the sorts of things that are non-lethal in this setting. That sniper shot should have had at least some sort of lingering effect on Albus, right?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CommunityEdition posted:

It’s frankly remarkable the sorts of things that are non-lethal in this setting. That sniper shot should have had at least some sort of lingering effect on Albus, right?

Merv actually missed the shot, Albus is hospitalized from holding the line on his own. Merv (I think? The White Tiger sniper hero) is never seen after that in a scenario mission and the other WT comment on his disappearance, courtesy of Marcus in a flashback. Still, it is amazing how non-lethal things are given the weaponry involved.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
I choose to believe the reason attacks are so nonlethal is that magic makes people so tanky that equipment evolved to employ it after someone saw battle mages do their thing and nowadays any combatants enjoy a baseline level of beefiness far in excess of what a civilian can have. Certainly lines up with how civilians hit by criminals aren't marked as unconscious, they go straight to 'dead' if their HP is drained.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
The only character who seems for sure straight is Ray who swoons over Albus a bunch. Also Jane and Giselle totally a couple

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OH MY GOD SUDDENLY THE TIMAS ARE TALKING TO EACH OTHER

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Snooze Cruise posted:

OH MY GOD SUDDENLY THE TIMAS ARE TALKING TO EACH OTHER

I know!

I lost my poo poo when that first tima dialogue choice popped up, this game is the best.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Clever girls.

All the beast hunting maps are the saddest thing ever.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

skaianDestiny posted:

I know!

I lost my poo poo when that first tima dialogue choice popped up, this game is the best.

that is what is driving me crazy! they just have you select growls earlier and now they're talking about honor and becoming old
god this game is the best

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

POV you tried attack Sion

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Clever girls.

All the beast hunting maps are the saddest thing ever.

Except the Draki, those fuckers deserve what was coming to them.

I really felt bad about the Grey Yasha and Mutant Frog though.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Kata-Haro posted:

Except the Draki, those fuckers deserve what was coming to them.

Man the realization that we drove the frogs into the draki caves and they were all devoured :( ... tasty ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Unlocked Giselle, should I make them a Sniper or Hunter?