Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Domain registrars are the ultimate rent‐seekers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Platystemon posted:

Domain registrars are the ultimate rent‐seekers.

Yeah why isn’t that function built into being a dns service?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
as with literally every big invention in the last ~100 years, internet was invented and implemented with public funding, and the idea was that a democratic process would administer TLDs

and as with everything else, it was sold for absolute peanuts to rich people as soon they got a friend onto the board

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Yeah why isn’t that function built into being a dns service?

technically, it is. there's root dns servers that hold the information for where your domain's dns servers are, and registrars are just lovely middlemen because the root org cba dealing with end user bullshit

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

T-man posted:

im just glad google isn't racist in very obvious ways like the microsoft twitter bot

:thunk:

https://theconversation.com/googles-algorithms-discriminate-against-women-and-people-of-colour-112516

Just one I remembered, there are dozens of other examples

Carthag Tuek has issued a correction as of 14:25 on Dec 29, 2020

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

The way that internet entertainment became a business about making content about being a business making money from the people who pay you tips as part of their aspiration to be the ones getting the tips never stops being weird to me. “Content” used to be an internal word for ad creatives, you wouldn’t talk to your audience about it. You’d talk about stories, or experiences or whatever. But at some point, the bloggers and streamers trying to bootstrap to fame started unironically using the marketing language to talk to their audiences directly.

This video is phenomenal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

doingitwrong posted:

“Content” used to be an internal word for ad creatives, you wouldn’t talk to your audience about it. You’d talk about stories, or experiences or whatever. But at some point, the bloggers and streamers trying to bootstrap to fame started unironically using the marketing language to talk to their audiences directly.

The word “consumers” should never have left economics classrooms.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Whales used to be a pejorative term, now people use it with pride

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Someone claimed to me that the act of whales paying tons of money to streamers is called "oiling" (or the other way round?) and I can't verify the truth to that, although I may prefer actual whaling terms used with respect to them

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Wrong thread

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Someone claimed to me that the act of whales paying tons of money to streamers is called "oiling" (or the other way round?) and I can't verify the truth to that, although I may prefer actual whaling terms used with respect to them

yes

"any oilers in chat?" to ask for "subs" and "donos"

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Truga posted:

it's not very easy to be on page 1 google if you're just an IP address these days, because google's algo prioritises really dumb bullshit so you have to hire SEO people google can sell certs to. a simple example is, your page should only respond to https://www.example.com whereas example.com may only redirect to www, or vice versa. like, the example isn't a big deal but why does google care about entirely optional characters so much that it'll lower your search rank over it? lmao

anyway, having an actual domain is on top of the "this site shud search gud" list. i guess this is on topic, because .org TLD got bought by a private company a year ago, so now even non-profits are beholden to a corporation lmbo https://domainnamewire.com/2019/11/13/breaking-private-equity-company-acquires-org-registry/

gonna see if it stays even remotely cheap in the future

I mean the optimistic (idealistic?) answer is just security. If you're searching for "the best funko pop protectors" to protect your $350/mo investments, and get two relevant blog posts, but one is an http ip with no domain and the other is https to an ev SSL then you can argue that it's basically irresponsible for them to send you to the http site. Especially when it's no longer some blog but your bank's name vs some random ip host that copied your bank's content and added more keywords.

At a certain point a decision is made that says it's not just about the most relevant result, but also the result is likely to be safe. And in the case of imposter sites, you can argue that having properly setup and secured domains does make you more relevant regardless of the search terms.

Selling certs might not even be relevant with stuff like let's encrypt anyway. As https has become more important, so has support for helping people setup https sites.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My dad yelled at me today asking me why I took his credit card to buy video games online (which I didn’t) and best we can figure someone stole his information and used it at steam and gog and bought cyberpunk and now him and the guy who took his card both got owned

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Eulogistics posted:

What the gently caress. I guess I shouldnt be surprised, but I still am.

It's not a problem because they're not a monopoly. If they raise prices too high non-profits that use .org will just create a new network that will just be another internet.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I sent this to a friend and he called the narrator jealous of 100 thieves' success

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what has 100thieves even won

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

sponsorships, idiot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i say swears online posted:

sponsorships, idiot

sounds like loser talk to me

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I sent this to a friend and he called the narrator jealous of 100 thieves' success

this isn't entirely wrong, a little under a month ago he posted a very bitter video explaining why he had to start making lovely idiot videos instead of good reviews and as soon as he started posting the faux-bad shorter lower-effort videos with clickbaity thumbnails his subscriber count just blasted through the roof straight to the moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZzZKuQUguk

100% this guy wants the big bucks but hates what he'd have to do to compete in the hellscape that is modern internet busking

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I was watching a Twitch stream a while back, where in the course of a few hours people gave $20k+ to the guy.

I guess that was a Nantucket Sleighride.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

blatman posted:

this isn't entirely wrong, a little under a month ago he posted a very bitter video explaining why he had to start making lovely idiot videos instead of good reviews and as soon as he started posting the faux-bad shorter lower-effort videos with clickbaity thumbnails his subscriber count just blasted through the roof straight to the moon

100% this guy wants the big bucks but hates what he'd have to do to compete in the hellscape that is modern internet busking

lmao just put me in the matrix goo pod already

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

hey t-spammers what's up it's ya gurl like comment subscribe to my posts for more!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

T-man posted:

hey t-spammers what's up it's ya gurl like comment subscribe to my posts for more!

well actually the leftist streamers i follow on twitch describe using your amazon prime sub as taking money directly from jeff bezos and giving it to an activist

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

it's derived from "oil prince" which is a reference to rich Arabian failsons who roll into a channel and dump thousand dollar donations on streamers.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well actually the leftist streamers i follow on twitch describe using your amazon prime sub as taking money directly from jeff bezos and giving it to an activist

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Please, no dore, even as image macros

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

blatman posted:

This is dunkey self parodying his “I’m done making LoL videos” exact same intonation etc. It does mark a change in direction, though it isn’t clear (and maybe not even to him) how long he’s gonna keep up the new act. The announcement of Among Us Tuesday was followed a week later with “I’m done making Among Us Tuesdays”.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Not that I'm disagreeing with your premise but I was under the impression that both the GIS suggestions and the auto complete search box suggestions are from what users globally have used to refine their general searches.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

taqueso posted:

shut up poindexter

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

This is dunkey self parodying his “I’m done making LoL videos” exact same intonation etc. It does mark a change in direction, though it isn’t clear (and maybe not even to him) how long he’s gonna keep up the new act. The announcement of Among Us Tuesday was followed a week later with “I’m done making Among Us Tuesdays”.

Right that was the point. He's joking about it but even those joke, zero effort, videos are incredibly popular

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
no skull gun tho

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

christmas boots posted:

no skull gun tho

accurate :\

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Itym

christmas boots posted:

no skul gun tho

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

taqueso posted:

You have to concede that using technology to put his face directly into the middle of a conversation is pretty on brand for this thread.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

In November 2017, 100 Thieves received a multimillion-dollar investment from Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans owner Dan Gilbert allowing the company to expand into a full-fledged esports organization.

On October 23, 2018, 100 Thieves announced that they finished their Series A funding round co-led by Scooter Braun and Drake, who both become co-owners where they raised $25 million. Included in this round was Sequoia Capital, Ludlow Ventures, Courtside Ventures, WndrCo, Marc Benioff, Drew Houston, Green Bay Ventures, Tao Capital and Advancit Capital.

On July 16, 2019, 100 Thieves announced their Series B funding round led by Artist Capital Management which raised $35 million. Included in this round is Aglae Ventures, Groupe Arnault (controlling shareholder of Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy).[42]

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LastInLine posted:

Not that I'm disagreeing with your premise but I was under the impression that both the GIS suggestions and the auto complete search box suggestions are from what users globally have used to refine their general searches.

yes, it's self-reinforcing garbage. they put all the racism and sexism of the world into a big cauldron and poo poo it out again as "suggestions"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farm Frenzy posted:

In November 2017, 100 Thieves received a multimillion-dollar investment from Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans owner Dan Gilbert allowing the company to expand into a full-fledged esports organization.

On October 23, 2018, 100 Thieves announced that they finished their Series A funding round co-led by Scooter Braun and Drake, who both become co-owners where they raised $25 million. Included in this round was Sequoia Capital, Ludlow Ventures, Courtside Ventures, WndrCo, Marc Benioff, Drew Houston, Green Bay Ventures, Tao Capital and Advancit Capital.

On July 16, 2019, 100 Thieves announced their Series B funding round led by Artist Capital Management which raised $35 million. Included in this round is Aglae Ventures, Groupe Arnault (controlling shareholder of Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy).[42]

faze clan is even worse about this sort of poo poo lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB9DZLkRc0c

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Taintrunner posted:

faze clan is even worse about this sort of poo poo lmao

that is the worst thing i have seen in years

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FaZe clan is at least explicitly built around sick 360 no scope YouTube montages and powdered energy drink deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

FaZe clan is at least explicitly built around sick 360 no scope YouTube montages and powdered energy drink deals.

I'm kind of surprised they are still around after the huge CSGO gambling scandal and them signing an underage fortnite player to a very exploitative contract.