Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
When pulling up near cars at intersections has anyone noticed that all makes and models of Jeeps apparently stall out all the time at stoplights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
That's stop/start, it's a fuel saving & emissions reduction technique and loads of modern cars do it. We have a couple of ~6 year old Skodas as pool cars at work with it, and it's always a suprise when they die at the first stop light.

Most are pretty seamless, but Jeep's implimentation was either done by Chrysler or Fiat, so you might be noticing it more if they cut the engine particularly ungracefully.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

jammyozzy posted:

That's stop/start, it's a fuel saving & emissions reduction technique and loads of modern cars do it. We have a couple of ~6 year old Skodas as pool cars at work with it, and it's always a suprise when they die at the first stop light.

Most are pretty seamless, but Jeep's implimentation was either done by Chrysler or Fiat, so you might be noticing it more if they cut the engine particularly ungracefully.

It sounds like they have to fully start the car when the light turns green. I've never had a car that does that!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
For you teravail rampart buyers, are you getting the durable version or the softs?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Dren posted:

It sounds like they have to fully start the car when the light turns green. I've never had a car that does that!

Yeah, fully automated restart of the engine the second the driver lifts their foot off the brake pedal. Even as somebody who works on cars for a living and drives lots of different ones, it's still odd to experience.

nwin posted:

Does that prematurely kill the starter?

Haven't seen evidence of it yet but I wouldn't be shocked if I begin doing starters on newer vehicles more frequently.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 29, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Time posted:

For you teravail rampart buyers, are you getting the durable version or the softs?

I got the soft version for city commuting. no issues at all.

The sidewall isn’t particularly thick, so if you’re going to be doing some gravel stuff, you’d definitely want the durable version.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nwin posted:

It's a different design than a traditional starter, there's more computer control and higher torque so less overall wear on the brushes even with more start cycles. Allegedly.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Stop-Start has been a thing for about a decade on some models and I haven’t heard any long term, widespread issues with engine or starter wear, but I’m sure FCA will find a way.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

402 done after today. Front derraileur went ping 16km from home

Pissing rain by that point obviously, highest gear being 34x23. So depressingly slow :qq:

I'll be able to fix it by tomorrow but at least it happened today and not an hour out the door in the morning

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Time posted:

I bought the soft and supple one because sidewall cuts have never been an issue for me, also brown

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Dren posted:

Like I said, Chrysler and/or Fiat came up with it so it's unlikely to be the smoothest implimentation. :v:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

a patagonian cavy posted:

I got the soft version for city commuting. no issues at all.

The sidewall isn’t particularly thick, so if you’re going to be doing some gravel stuff, you’d definitely want the durable version.

Ty cave

Guinness posted:

I bought the soft and supple one because sidewall cuts have never been an issue for me, also brown

Ty, as well

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's below 30 out.

Naturally I banged out 54 miles, outside. Because gently caress you nature, I do what I please.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
so i'm kinda slogging through some winter riding with improper gear and not sure what i should get...i dont really ride in heavy rain but sometimes if it's lightly raining, and i dont usually ride in weather lower than 35 degrees...should i get waterproof windbreaker or a softshell? i'd prefer to have something that i didnt have to wash (and reapply water repellant) all the time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If it's rain not snow and you're not riding very hard I'd get the windbreaker. Once the softshell soaks through it's going to offer very little if any warmth.

If you're going hard then something that's softshell with Merino underneath if it gets real cold, plus neoprene gloves and shoe covers.

Dressing for near freezing and rain is generally the hardest weather to dress for. I basically don't ride more than bare min commuting in those conditions. I'd rather do 50k at -10c with light snow than 10k at 1c with rain.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Changed my steel single's rubber from OEM 25c to 28c Gatorskins

Never going back. More cushin' for tha pushin' :blastu:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

so i'm kinda slogging through some winter riding with improper gear and not sure what i should get...i dont really ride in heavy rain but sometimes if it's lightly raining, and i dont usually ride in weather lower than 35 degrees...should i get waterproof windbreaker or a softshell? i'd prefer to have something that i didnt have to wash (and reapply water repellant) all the time.

For Seattle riding I am 100% all in on gore shakedry. It's expensive, but it just works so much better than everything else, and it packs small enough I can stash it in a pocket "just in case" what with the variable weather.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

for drizzle a water resistant long sleeve like the perfetto is grand. for actual rain everything kind of sucks because it eventually gets wet on one side

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Guinness posted:

Been running some tanwall soft n supple teravail cannonballs for the last 1.2k miles on my gravel bike and they've been pretty great

bicievino posted:

For Seattle riding I am 100% all in on gore shakedry. It's expensive, but it just works so much better than everything else, and it packs small enough I can stash it in a pocket "just in case" what with the variable weather.

I've lusted after that jacket for a while. Looks great. Hell, all gore's stuff is pretty great

Also, after today's snowy ride I'm sitting at 413km for the festive. So stoked to not have to bang out 100km on the last day like last year

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Are lizardskins still the go-to for bar tape? Mine definitely needs replacing ASAP

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I think bar tape is more of a personal preference thing. But I really like Fizik bar tape, especially the microtex ones.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bicievino posted:

theyre on sale right now on bike tires direct, do you have the c5 or c7?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

rngd in the womb posted:

I think bar tape is more of a personal preference thing. But I really like Fizik bar tape, especially the microtex ones.

+1 for Fizik but I don't think it's the only choice

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

theyre on sale right now on bike tires direct, do you have the c5 or c7?

I have a Castelli jacket with the shakedry material.
It doesn't have the "stretch" material like the c7, and frankly I'd be inclined to pony up the extra $50 for that. The regular material does NOT stretch.

One other caveat I'll mention: it's apparently not great with abrasion - it says definitely don't wear a backpack over it, for example.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah i can live with that, i rarely take a backpack and if i do it's for short rides which i could use a softshell that i already have

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I wrapped up F500 and the forecast says rain the rest of the year, so might as well make a 2020 recap/2021 goals post a few days early.

Despite the craziness of 2020, I still managed to hit my goal of 500hrs (although I have to count quite a bit of trainer hours!).
Had a grand total of... three races in 2020, but at least one of them was a track race where I got to fly the stars and stripes (on foreign soil, no less!).

I don't know what 2021 has in store, but I'm an optimist, so here goes for 2021 goals:

500 hours
Keep having fun
Do a group ride
Assuming racing happens: defend one of my masters national titles in September, or podium at masters worlds in October

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

It’s official. I am moving to Tampa.

Hopefully there are wise bike goons that can tell me where to ride my gravel bike or road bike so I don’t die. Or are willing to go for a ride.

I can trade beer.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

rngd in the womb posted:

This is what I was looking at tbh, despite not having seen it in person

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've got the black cinelli caleido tape on my journeyman and it's one of my favorite little details about the bike (that no one notices)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

rngd in the womb posted:

This.

Fizik tape owns, especially the bicolor microtex.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

It's that time of the year again! VeloViewer season! Just finished the Festive 500, might do 10km more tomorrow if I need to go to the store, but this is probably it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Finished on 480km today, so first lie in for a week tomorrow morning then a gentle pootle in the afternoon to finish it off

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I almost hate to ruin it by finishing F500...

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Levitate posted:

I almost hate to ruin it by finishing F500...

clearly you need to ride 303 more miles...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

tylertfb posted:

I wish...

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tylertfb posted:

:hmmyes:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

gamera009 posted:

Hopefully there are wise bike goons that can tell me where to ride my gravel bike or road bike so I don’t die. Or are willing to go for a ride.

I can trade beer.

i had a whole huge post typed up and ready to submit when i realized you had actually said 'Tampa' and not 'Tempe'

clearly i'm feeling desperate for riding partners rn too

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

tylertfb posted:

e.pilot posted:

My cycling career has peaked, I should retire now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

gamera009 posted:

I can trade beer.

Congrats on the new job! When are you moving? Hell of a change from Colorado.