Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the AOD was a bit of a game changer when I upgraded, love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I have a 4 and the always on is the one main thing I covet on the newer ones but not quite enough to upgrade. Maybe on the 7!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's only really when i'm lying down or otherwise at a weird angle that the display doesn't light up consistently. AOD would only be very very slightly more convenient for me, but still nice to have I guess.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The motion detection is consistent enough that it’s fine...but just inconsistent enough and/or not applicable enough that it can be really annoying too. Depends how much the latter bothers you basically.

One thing that’s either a plus or minus with AOD is that it doesn’t have to be “active” to respond to touch/swipe events with whatever watchOS we’re on now. Before sometimes I’d swipe for notifications, then have to raise or tap to activate the screen, then swipe again. Now it just works whatever the state. But it’s now semi common to have some app open cause I accidentally touched a complication at some point.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

japtor posted:

The motion detection is consistent enough that it’s fine...but just inconsistent enough and/or not applicable enough that it can be really annoying too. Depends how much the latter bothers you basically.

Yeah, it’s fine in 90% of cases but those 10% stick out and always seems to happen at the worse possible times. I’m sure it’s just some kind of bias but it’s noticeable.

It’s like I just went from a XS to a 12 cause my XS stopped turning on. I didn’t use the telephoto lens that much, but the times I used it it was really nice to have. First day with my 12 I took a walk and saw a heron from across the lake and I wanted to see if it was the same one I always saw so I pulled out my phone and tried to switch to the telephoto and nope, it’s gone. The other 90% of the time the standard lens is fine though.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I rather enjoy the blood oxygen detection for sleep.

Though I will say it's hard to recommend the 6 if you're paying more than 50 dollars for it. Though I think in a best of both worlds kind of thing you can get an amazon warehouse apple watch 5 for $250 and return it if it has any issue whatsoever.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

jink posted:

Interesting... I absolutely love the AOD on my series 5. It is dim, sure, but at a glance I can see activity for the day, weather, etc...

I was very annoyed having to twist my wrist to see information... and sometimes contorting my arm so that the accelerometer would detect a 'wrist twist'.

It seems to really depend on the user. :)

These are my thoughts as well. AOD is cool.

Especially if you’re laying down, it can be hard to activate the screen with a wrist “raise.”

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Only reason I got the S6 is for the HR sensor, because some sports nerds on Youtube (DCRainmaker, DesFit and also some swiss dude who's doing scatter plots for the devices he tests) pitted the various models (and other watches and fitness trackers) against expensive chest straps, and the S6 seems the most accurate so far.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone gone from the AOD back to one that didn’t have it? Just curious.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

smackfu posted:

Has anyone gone from the AOD back to one that didn’t have it? Just curious.

There are people who happily turned off the AOD. Same difference, isn't it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, trying to decide between the 44m SE, S5 and S6 right now. SE I can get for $280, S5 for $280 open box from Best Buy or S6 for $380

I'm coming from an S3 so I think the SE is a nice little upgrade for the money. I don't really care about the new sensors in the S6 so I guess it's just of the open-box S5 is worth it for the AOD or not.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, trying to decide between the 44m SE, S5 and S6 right now. SE I can get for $280, S5 for $280 open box from Best Buy or S6 for $380

I'm coming from an S3 so I think the SE is a nice little upgrade for the money. I don't really care about the new sensors in the S6 so I guess it's just of the open-box S5 is worth it for the AOD or not.

It's a shame you can't just borrow one for a week, I'd be in the same position as you if I was looking to upgrade my S3. So hard to tell if AOD would be worth it or not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can't borrow it but you can buy it and have 14 days to return it for a full refund.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FCKGW posted:

I went from an S3 to S5 this spring for the AOD and wanting to switch to a cellular model, love it and don't have any regrets for not waiting it out for the S6.

The other advantage S5 has over the SE is the heart rate sensor; even if you don't care about EKG, you can put your finger on the crown and get 1-second resolution readings instead of 5-second from the optical.

The caveat is if you care about AppleCare or not; from a quick google I see stuff saying you can't put AppleCare on a BBY open box unless they listed it as in "excellent" condition.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 29, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Are you trading in your S3? I got $85 for mine, which made springing for a S6 a little easier.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Are you trading in your S3? I got $85 for mine, which made springing for a S6 a little easier.

No, I'm not buying from Apple because it's $50 cheaper elsewhere. And I have a couple Best Buy gift cards.

edit: Looks like Best Buy will do $70 trade in.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 29, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

kitten smoothie posted:

The other advantage S5 has over the SE is the heart rate sensor; even if you don't care about EKG, you can put your finger on the crown and get 1-second resolution readings instead of 5-second from the optical.
This works outside of the ECG app? --edit: Oh yeah, it does. Neat. It seems to take a while to adjust, because the first few measurements have quite some variance before it settles.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 29, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

The caveat is if you care about AppleCare or not; from a quick google I see stuff saying you can't put AppleCare on a BBY open box unless they listed it as in "excellent" condition.

Eh na you can you just have to call apple and they have to manually add it. I did that with my power beats pros.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Is anyone else’s stand recognition not been working well recently? I’ve been trying to exaggerate movements since I noticed and that hasn’t worked :shrug:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

This works outside of the ECG app? --edit: Oh yeah, it does. Neat. It seems to take a while to adjust, because the first few measurements have quite some variance before it settles.

Yup afaik the electrical detection works in the HR app even if you can't use the EKG app because of Apple's region locks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know how the Apple Watch calculates 'exercise'? Up until this week if I walked outside for 30 minutes, I got 30 minutes of exercise credit and closed my ring. Now I get 3 minutes. I reset the calibration today and no difference.

The best I've been able to find online is that the Watch may only count activity that's at least 75% of your upper heart rate. My other exercise lately has been splitting wood as Mixed Cardio. I don't think I can hit 75% of that heart rate just walking outdoors.

Dugong posted:

Is anyone else’s stand recognition not been working well recently? I’ve been trying to exaggerate movements since I noticed and that hasn’t worked :shrug:

Stand recognition is there solely to piss you off I think. I stand most of the day and I'm always struggling to close that ring. I haven't noticed it getting any worse than it's always been.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Can anyone recommend some apps outside of fitness and sleep. I'm currently trying out AutoSleep and SleepWatch, but I'm curious as to what people use for anything else useful for them. I don't mind paying for the most part, as long as it's useful.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Stand recognition is there solely to piss you off I think. I stand most of the day and I'm always struggling to close that ring. I haven't noticed it getting any worse than it's always been.

I will be up all day while teaching and as soon as I sit down, I get the “you have been sitting too much recently” message.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Krispy Wafer posted:

Does anyone know how the Apple Watch calculates 'exercise'? Up until this week if I walked outside for 30 minutes, I got 30 minutes of exercise credit and closed my ring. Now I get 3 minutes. I reset the calibration today and no difference.

The best I've been able to find online is that the Watch may only count activity that's at least 75% of your upper heart rate. My other exercise lately has been splitting wood as Mixed Cardio. I don't think I can hit 75% of that heart rate just walking outdoors.

For Exercise minutes to count they need to be close to your Walking Heart Rate Average I believe. Probably at least 75% of as you say. That’s why you need to calibrate the watch by doing a 20 minute walk. I find if I walk with my partner I only get 50-75% of the minutes compared to walking by myself as we walk slower so my HR doesn’t get up enough.

Stand hours are named badly. It’s actually more like Move minutes in that you need to stand up and walk like 30 steps for it to register. You can game these by standing and swinging your arms about 30 times though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

For Exercise minutes to count they need to be close to your Walking Heart Rate Average I believe. Probably at least 75% of as you say. That’s why you need to calibrate the watch by doing a 20 minute walk. I find if I walk with my partner I only get 50-75% of the minutes compared to walking by myself as we walk slower so my HR doesn’t get up enough.

Stand hours are named badly. It’s actually more like Move minutes in that you need to stand up and walk like 30 steps for it to register. You can game these by standing and swinging your arms about 30 times though.

Oddly it registers my full exercise credit when I'm doing yoga on Fitness+, even though my heart rate barely moves.

So if you're paying for the exercise, they make sure to close your rings.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Well, Fitness+ counts as an initiated workout. Any workout you initiate (even without fitness+) from the workout app will count towards the ring.

If you're going out for a walk, specifically, you can guarantee your ring credit by just starting a walk workout from the app.

In my experience the auto-detection is kind of hit or miss, so I got in the habit of initiating it.

Hell, I use the 'winter sports" workout for shoveling snow.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That’s a good theory, but just last Sunday I did a two-hour four-mile walk in the Fitness app, and I got eight exercise minutes.

But my exercise is usually running and I assume it wants running heart rates, not walking ones.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, initiating exercises doesn't necessarily do anything towards your rings. I had that problem last year when I had an ankle injury and still tried to get out there and be active and got zero credit for my slow, laborious gait. The Apple Watch cares not for your effort, only your heart beats.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When will the rings be hooked up to Apple Pay so I can just pay to close them from the comfort of my couch?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

smackfu posted:

That’s a good theory, but just last Sunday I did a two-hour four-mile walk in the Fitness app, and I got eight exercise minutes.
Yep, this, I did a 50-ish minute walk today and got about 4 minutes toward my ring. If you’re really slow-poke-ing it won’t register as minutes toward your ring.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Certain exercise types will give you minutes even for doing nothing, like yoga, or any of the "other" types, but yeah not walking. That needs to be above what apple considers a brisk walk.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

withak posted:

When will the rings be hooked up to Apple Pay so I can just pay to close them from the comfort of my couch?

It’s going to be a feature enhancement of fitness+

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Walking the dog is good exercise for him, however a solid waste of my time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

pets.txt

But at least they're cute and fuzzy and give you some love (around meal time).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

marktheando posted:

Certain exercise types will give you minutes even for doing nothing, like yoga, or any of the "other" types, but yeah not walking. That needs to be above what apple considers a brisk walk.

That makes sense. Fitness+ leans heavily into “heart rate is all that matters” but then has strength training workouts that won’t really raise your heart rate and they don’t want those to count for nothing.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Honest to God, it's important. My best friend of 12 years passed away yesterday and I can't stress how important that time together is even if it doesn't seem like it in the moment.

Edit: Not to get all heavy in an Apple Watch thread LOL

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Time shared can hopefully fill your grief with happy memories.

Onto watch chat: with everyone talking about AOD, I decided to go all day with it. I never use AOD and my watch reminds me to charge at 9pm every night. Most nights and with normal use, it is at 55-60% left. Tonight, with AOD and normal use, I am at 35%.

Does 20% lowered battery make it worth it? I guess I will keep using it and trying it next week while teaching to see if it is more useful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Violator posted:

Honest to God, it's important. My best friend of 12 years passed away yesterday and I can't stress how important that time together is even if it doesn't seem like it in the moment.

Edit: Not to get all heavy in an Apple Watch thread LOL

Yeah I’m just being silly, losing pets is loving awful and I lost my girl earlier in the year after a really lovely 12 months of other grief, so that was just the worst. Sorry to hear about your buddy :(

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

fourwood posted:

Yep, this, I did a 50-ish minute walk today and got about 4 minutes toward my ring. If you’re really slow-poke-ing it won’t register as minutes toward your ring.

Wow, that's bizarre. It's never happened to me, but admittedly my "walks" are more like jogs (3 miles, pace around 15-16 minutes per mile with no stops or breaks, heart rate between 110-125). I guess it makes sense that they don't want people cheesing it but I wonder where the threshold is where it won't "count."

Even when my heart rate is clearly elevated on an indoor exercise bike I'll occasionally get a 'are you done with your workout?" prompt when doing indoor cycle. Of course I'm not done yet, it's 125 BPM and my resting heart rate is usually between 60-65!

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I’m just being silly, losing pets is loving awful and I lost my girl earlier in the year after a really lovely 12 months of other grief, so that was just the worst. Sorry to hear about your buddy :(

Thanks for your kind words; I'm sorry you lost your close friend and had so much trouble. I'm sorry I brought it up in an unrelated thread. Same to you Bizarro Kanyon, thanks for being so kind. I'm kinda broken down right now and appreciate you guys understanding.