Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Lifespan posted:

Unless Sherman takes a massive pay cut, he's not coming home. Griffin is still good and Reed is playing great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqO4vBSLHMw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Finger Prince posted:

Refs tried their hardest to give the Rams the advantage, but in the end it was the same old sorry rear end rams.

How? I'm seriously asking because I only saw clips of the game on RedZone, and I haven't heard/read this.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
He’s being dumb the refs did nothing to help the Rams

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
GIVING HIMSELF UP MY rear end NO IM NOT MAD

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

DariusLikewise posted:

He’s being dumb the refs did nothing to help the Rams

Saying he gave himself up denied us one of the funniest and best highlights of all time. Fuckin refs, man.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Lifespan posted:

Reed is playing great.

Good to hear at least one legendary 49ers cornerback is playing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The game was basically over by then but "giving himself up" was a total bullshit call that seemed to be made just to save the Rams some dignity.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It was the obviously correct call by the rules.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah, it was the right interpretation, and the game was way over so the only upshot was that it erased an what would have been an extremely funny turnover.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

How? I'm seriously asking because I only saw clips of the game on RedZone, and I haven't heard/read this.

I disagree with the interpretation of giving himself up, based on the rule posted in the GDT.

"Article 1: Dead Ball Declared. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:
...when a runner is out of bounds, or declares himself down by falling to the ground, or kneeling, and making no effort to advance; or"

He didn't kneel, and he didn't fall to the ground and make no effort to advance. He made the catch and got up with it in his possession. Then he decided not to advance the ball by placing it on the ground, not while he was on the ground.
But anyway, it was pretty loving hilarious for a minute regardless.
There was also the roughing the kicker penalty, which was clearly running into the kicker, the former which gave the Rams a fresh set of downs.
And the fumble on the punt that was recovered by Seattle on replay but was never reviewed or considered to be anything but a recovery by the Rams.
And the not set penalty on DK that erased a run for a 1st, which is ticky tacky but maybe technically correct, like calling an o-lineman on holding.
And then there was the obvious intentional grounding where Goff was still in the pocket and hucked it into the turf behind the LOS to avoid pressure that wasn't called.
There was probably other stuff, but the Rams never really were able to make much of any advantage given by the refs, so it was only WTF at the time it happened and quickly forgotten.

And like I'm not mad about it really, because we got the win, but it just seemed to me while watching the game that if the refs had a chance to make a call that favoured the Rams, they made that call.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 29, 2020

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Finger Prince posted:

I disagree with the interpretation of giving himself up, based on the rule posted in the GDT.

"Article 1: Dead Ball Declared. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:
...when a runner is out of bounds, or declares himself down by falling to the ground, or kneeling, and making no effort to advance; or"

He didn't kneel, and he didn't fall to the ground and make no effort to advance. He made the catch and got up with it in his possession. Then he decided not to advance the ball by placing it on the ground, not while he was on the ground.

He fell to the ground and made no effort to advance the ball, which is exactly what the rule says. Both of those actions happened. The rule doesn’t say you must fall to the ground and remain there while not advancing the ball. How would one even advance the ball while they were on the ground? Rolling? Belly crawling?

Anyway, the refs err on the side of obvious player intent in cases like this, like in this play from last season.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinBoilard/status/1213598794501296129

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
He gave himself up you nerds

Player: *emphatically places ball on ground after going down and believing himself to have been touched, and sprinted away from said ball*

Geniuses on the internet: nope play was live, didn't give himself up

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 29, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He fell to the ground and made no effort to advance the ball, which is exactly what the rule says. Both of those actions happened. The rule doesn’t say you must fall to the ground and remain there while not advancing the ball. How would one even advance the ball while they were on the ground? Rolling? Belly crawling?

Anyway, the refs err on the side of obvious player intent in cases like this, like in this play from last season.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinBoilard/status/1213598794501296129

Yeah, I know, I know. I just wish they'd sometimes err on the side of funniest result, that's all!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, I know, I know. I just wish they'd sometimes err on the side of funniest result, that's all!

Well, there was that time that Wright clearly batted the ball out of the back of the endzone against the Lions but the refs ruled it a touchback instead, which is extremely funny if you’re a big fan on the sitcom “The Universe Hates the Lions.”

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Well, there was that time that Wright clearly batted the ball out of the back of the endzone against the Lions but the refs ruled it a touchback instead, which is extremely funny if you’re a big fan on the sitcom “The Universe Hates the Lions.”

I figured that was a case of.the ref not knowing the rulebook

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1344026180597506048

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Spoeank posted:

He gave himself up you nerds

Player: *emphatically places ball on ground after going down and believing himself to have been touched, and sprinted away from said ball*

Geniuses on the internet: nope play was live, didn't give himself up

No seahawk was anywhere near him so unless he thinks Patrick Swayze was helping him on the potter's wheel he wouldn't have thought so

Also it was way less funny to call the rule like that so that is the true crime

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 29, 2020

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think if you consistently apply it the way it was sunday you're going against the spirit of the rule, opening the game up to more antics, and putting more doubt into a players head on whether or not a play is actually over without hearing a whistle. All of which is much worse than a team who couldn't stop the clock anyway losing a few extra seconds.

Giving yourself up should be blatant and it should result in a player waiting for a blown whistle, not dictating on their own when a play is over.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 30, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think if you consistently apply it the way it was sunday you're going against the spirit of the rule, opening the game up to more antics, and putting more doubt into a players head on whether or not a play is actually over without hearing a whistle. All of which is much worse than a team who couldn't stop the clock anyway losing a few extra seconds.

Giving yourself up should be blatant and it should result in a player waiting for a blown whistle, not dictating on their own when a play is over.

Yeah, he could have easily turned up field and run for another 5 yards once he got up with the ball. The fact that he didn't confused the defense enough that they thought the ball was live. You need to make a point of declaring the ball dead at the spot, like signalling for a fair catch. If there was a defender anywhere near him he could have got trucked while he was putting down the ball.
But I get it, and it's not an inconsistent call. Look at intentional grounding. As long as you meet the barest minimum criteria of vague intent it's not intentional grounding. Just throw it withing 5 yards of the feet of your blocking TE with his back to you with one foot on the side hash mark, good enough, you tried. Nobody was ever going to catch that, but the intent was you were declaring the play dead, so it's dead.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
yeah how could he have thought that he got touched while rolling on the ground to secure the catch

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
maybe i'm unimaginative but what do people think this opens the door for? like i don't really see the utility of a trick play built around deliberately dropping the ball and running away from it in the midst of the defense or something

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dutchy posted:

maybe i'm unimaginative but what do people think this opens the door for? like i don't really see the utility of a trick play built around deliberately dropping the ball and running away from it in the midst of the defense or something

The idea is that he gets up with the ball, and can choose to run with it at that point, or place it down. The defense doesn't know which. With a QB slide or fair catch, there's a deliberate signal to the defense to call off murdering the guy. You get up off the ground with the ball and see a safety trucking full speed looking to push your ribs into the next time zone, just place the ball down. Now the defense probably gets a roughing penalty.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I dont know that anyone would be quick enough to game it intentionally but who knows, these are some of the smartest dudes in sports. There's plenty of highlights of heads up plays that make me :trumppop: might as well not incentivize tomfoolery and end plays the way they're supposed to end.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Lol Seahawks fans don’t deserve anything nice

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I dont know that anyone would be quick enough to game it intentionally but who knows, these are some of the smartest dudes in sports. There's plenty of highlights of heads up plays that make me :trumppop: might as well not incentivize tomfoolery and end plays the way they're supposed to end.

This is particularly funny considering the events of the play being discussed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
No one in the nfcw does. Maybe the cards but they have kyler now.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

its all nice on rice posted:

This is particularly funny considering the events of the play being discussed.

It'd be smarter if you could reliably predict an outcome. But yeah

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Guess I’m gonna have to switch my avatar again.

https://twitter.com/fieldgulls/status/1344096500540993537?s=21

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

DariusLikewise posted:

Lol Seahawks fans don’t deserve anything nice

Darn! Oh well, I'm sure I'll find a way to enjoy the division title anyway.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

shirts and skins posted:

Darn! Oh well, I'm sure I'll find a way to enjoy the division title anyway.

They say that but they gifted the Hawks the division by losing to the Jets after we lost to the Giants which I thought was nice

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Y'all starting to sound like Pete Carroll 9/11 truthers with this stuff

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

The idea is that he gets up with the ball, and can choose to run with it at that point, or place it down. The defense doesn't know which. With a QB slide or fair catch, there's a deliberate signal to the defense to call off murdering the guy. You get up off the ground with the ball and see a safety trucking full speed looking to push your ribs into the next time zone, just place the ball down. Now the defense probably gets a roughing penalty.

Not too worried about a thing that’s literally never happened before happening and needing to create a rule to deal with it when it does happen (never).

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Its Rinaldo posted:

They say that but they gifted the Hawks the division by losing to the Jets after we lost to the Giants which I thought was nice

Yeah, the Rams really did us a solid there and I appreciate that.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Finger Prince posted:

With a QB slide or fair catch, there's a deliberate signal

lmao

When Russell fakes dipping out of bounds and stays in for a few more yards, I'm 100% sure Seahawks fans cheer him on.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Good lord I am extremely embarrassed for folks arguing he didn't give himself up or that it would be good for competitive football to interpret the rule differently.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Coldforge posted:

lmao

When Russell fakes dipping out of bounds and stays in for a few more yards, I'm 100% sure Seahawks fans cheer him on.

It’s infuriating when Aaron Rodgers does it and I pray somebody decleats him and I hate when Russ does it too

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I am mad at players pushing rules to their literal limits.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Why can't the refs just let them play?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is Kyler healthy or what?

He's not been his usual self lately.

Also, Kliff is bad at playcalls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Is Kyler healthy or what?

He's not been his usual self lately.

Also, Kliff is bad at playcalls?

Kyler has likely had a nagging shoulder injury since the last Seahawks game.

Also, Kliff is bad at playcalling and cannot decide if the Cardinals are a running team or a passing team. A more attuned head coach probably wins the division this year. The Cardinals defense is also wildly hit or miss and hasn't been the same since Chandler Jones went down. Hasaan Reddick and Budda Baker have been playing out of their minds this year, and Patrick Peterson is finally showing signs of decline.