Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i used to attack from distant range but now i just try and stay on top of whoever seems like they know what they are doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It did take me longer than I like to admit to not Black Mage from way waaaaay far away.

Unrelated:
https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1343705801794363392?s=19

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Zutaten posted:

This makes sense. I'm usually not the only one way out there though, but it makes sense and I appreciate the advice.

It only takes a few instances of eating cones that are impossible to dodge at range but trivial at melee to learn the lesson

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

a kitten posted:

It did take me longer than I like to admit to not Black Mage from way waaaaay far away.

Unrelated:
https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1343705801794363392?s=19

https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1343706723916247040?s=20

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I usually don't like to just stay stacked in one spot on top of people outside of when the fight calls for it or serious raiding or something because I like seeing what my character and the boss are doing, but I've tried to make adjustments over the years to stay close.

Saw a poor DRG the other day try everything he could to Dragon Sight a BLM who did nothing but stay at max range and I felt that pain

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i normally play phys ranged for dps and whenever i get the tether on dnc or brd i try so drat hard to stay on that drg rear end its almost comical

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Returned to Summoner, and forgot how much I love it. It's so mobile, so forgiving, and so flashy. I wouldn't mind if Dreadwyrm Trance got buffed (even if spamming instant Outbursts is already pretty nice), but otherwise, it feels really good to play.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Darth Walrus posted:

Returned to Summoner, and forgot how much I love it. It's so mobile, so forgiving, and so flashy. I wouldn't mind if Dreadwyrm Trance got buffed (even if spamming instant Outbursts is already pretty nice), but otherwise, it feels really good to play.

Dreadwyrm would be perfectly fine if it didn't end when you hit Deathflare.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
As I edge my DRK closer to 70, the decision to decide to take it or my already at 70 GNB into Shadowbringers (after I finish the SB content MSQ patches) becomes more difficult...

That said the DRK job quests have been entertaining. DRK 58 job quest spoiler: Fuckin’ moogles. I’m with Sid on this. :black101:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My request for 6.0 summoner is that they either have dreadwyrm trace just turn into summon bahamut or give you a reason to stay in it besides instant cast, because immediately kramering out of it with deathflare feels like poo poo

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I absolutely believe there will be some significant change to DWT because it's just a stumbling block on the way to Demi-Bahamut. Maybe they'll make it a sustainable state of being like Blood/Life of the Dragon.

Edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvv lmao

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 29, 2020

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
5.4 spoilers:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know there was a whole Stormblood endgame content and it was the first step in Summoner changes toward level 80, but coming to the class after the fact it's amusing that you get Bahamut at level 70 and then at 72 it's "screw it, summon him twice as often."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

5.4 spoilers:

:sickos:

e: that emote has an entirely different context here

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

summoner seems very cool any time i see one in action, but i think i am much too stupid for it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

a kitten posted:

Unrelated:

Thanks, this is good
https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1344005498190721024

seiferguy posted:

5.4 spoilers:

holy poo poo this too

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zomborgon posted:

Dreadwyrm would be perfectly fine if it didn't end when you hit Deathflare.

Yeah, it really feels awkward. It's the only timer you have to watch like a hawk to get a move off RIGHT before it ends. Sometimes I hit it with 3 seconds left just to be safe, and it feels like a small failure. Just make deathflare itself have like a 30 second cooldown, it's not like you're gonna be doing back to back trances anyway.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

seiferguy posted:

5.4 spoilers:

S tier

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Begemot posted:

Yeah, it really feels awkward. It's the only timer you have to watch like a hawk to get a move off RIGHT before it ends. Sometimes I hit it with 3 seconds left just to be safe, and it feels like a small failure. Just make deathflare itself have like a 30 second cooldown, it's not like you're gonna be doing back to back trances anyway.

A couple patches back they made AST’s Horoscope automatically apply when its timer ran out rather than have your big raidwide heal with a lot of setup do nothing if you didn’t hit the button. I’m really not sure why DWT doesn’t do something similar and hit your current target with Deathflare as soon as it expires if you haven’t triggered it already.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

blastron posted:

A couple patches back they made AST’s Horoscope automatically apply when its timer ran out rather than have your big raidwide heal with a lot of setup do nothing if you didn’t hit the button. I’m really not sure why DWT doesn’t do something similar and hit your current target with Deathflare as soon as it expires if you haven’t triggered it already.

It would be harder to do with Deathflare because Horoscope doesn't need a target. And theoretically there could be some weird cases where you wouldn't want your orbital ion cannon going off automatically.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

The Pro GamerTM strat with DWT is to end it after a few GCDs of weaving and go straight into Summon Bahamut anyways. SMN has a number of GCD buttons that allow for weaving in the first place that stretching out DWT isn't very necessary at all.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

seiferguy posted:

5.4 spoilers:

lol nice

also i have finally acquired a very rare mount: ordinary horse

RME
Feb 20, 2012

honestly not having DWT end with deathflare would end up feeling more awkward/clunky than it is right now where you can weave Deathflare + Summon bahamut just cause it's a pretty nice like, muscle memory association

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If they brought back the time where DWT made your spells do extra damage (or something similar) while also being instant, it would be a creative way to have a third cycle in the smn rotation. Have a high mobility phase you might want to slightly delay for certain mechanics, maybe.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Roluth posted:

The Pro GamerTM strat with DWT is to end it after a few GCDs of weaving and go straight into Summon Bahamut anyways. SMN has a number of GCD buttons that allow for weaving in the first place that stretching out DWT isn't very necessary at all.
Me, using multiple Ruin IIIs during DWT: "Carby please use your egi-assaults I pressed them like 4 GCDs ago"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

lol nice

also i have finally acquired a very rare mount: ordinary horse

what horse is this!!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

is there any use for these collectables i gathered now that zhloe doesn't want them?

i gathered 6 maximum collectability coins and then i gave her one of them which ranked her up and now she wants some other poo poo.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

is there any use for these collectables i gathered now that zhloe doesn't want them?

i gathered 6 maximum collectability coins and then i gave her one of them which ranked her up and now she wants some other poo poo.

nope you can trash em

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Kerrzhe posted:

what horse is this!!

100 frontline wins as flames, there's one for storm and adders too

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

nope you can trash em

thanks! time to free up all this inventory space

i kind of want to change to immortal flames because they get cool gladiator-style armour. I love the maelstrom and all but i also want some cool armour pieces.

in mount news, I unlocked bozja yesterday and got a 'gabriel alpha' robot mount out of like the 4th lockbox i unlocked

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Kerrzhe posted:

nope you can trash em

Unless you want to hold on to them for the next time she asks for them, anyway. Given that it's six inventory slots for an indefinite period on something you can just get easy enough anyway, I agree with "yeah just toss the things."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait so for optimal summoner play you just instantly pop DWT?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm not sure why that would help?

Rushing into Bahamut doesn't really get you anything, unless you're coordinating a burn phase or something. The cooldown for Phoenix trance/summon starts ticking when you activate DWT, not when you summon Bahamut. Why not take advantage of free casts with DWT while you can?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Unless there's a need to move while DWT would be up there's no reason to stay in it. Even in a group with random people, if they're halfway decent they will get their buffs up within a few GCDs so you could get into Bahamut while those buffs are up.

ImpAtom posted:

Wait so for optimal summoner play you just instantly pop DWT?
Not immediately but if you don't have any oGCDs left to weave with instant Ruin IIIs, yeah do Deathflare -> Summon Bahamut

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Begemot posted:

Rushing into Bahamut doesn't really get you anything, unless you're coordinating a burn phase or something.

This is the key - coordinating burns generally happens 'naturally' so long as everyone is doing openers right, so the first one is clipped to fit Bahamut in other jobs' openers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

iPodschun posted:

Unless there's a need to move while DWT would be up there's no reason to stay in it. Even in a group with random people, if they're halfway decent they will get their buffs up within a few GCDs so you could get into Bahamut while those buffs are up.
Not immediately but if you don't have any oGCDs left to weave with instant Ruin IIIs, yeah do Deathflare -> Summon Bahamut

That is weird.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Begemot posted:

I'm not sure why that would help?

Rushing into Bahamut doesn't really get you anything, unless you're coordinating a burn phase or something. The cooldown for Phoenix trance/summon starts ticking when you activate DWT, not when you summon Bahamut. Why not take advantage of free casts with DWT while you can?

Rushing into bahamut lines up Phoenix and poo poo with burst windows way better and you get nothing for staying in DWT. Instant cast spells dont matter because you're going to be spamming ruin 4 during Bahanut anyway so its dps neutral ignoring all the bonus damage from bahamut egi and bahamut enkindle during it. You have no reason to stay in dwt once it's one trance to summon bahamut.

Even movement isnt a reason to stay in it because you'll be hitting the instant casts for bahamut phase anyway so you have the same mobility for the same duration regardless if you're in bahamut egi or trance.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 30, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

becoming loving Dark because i found this sephiroth katana greatsword

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

A pubbie tank in E10N actually tankswapped with me???????? It's a belated Christmas miracle.

Has this mechanic actually shown up before in normal difficulty content? I don't think it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Roluth posted:

A pubbie tank in E10N actually tankswapped with me???????? It's a belated Christmas miracle.

Has this mechanic actually shown up before in normal difficulty content? I don't think it did.

E4N and O4N at the very least have tankbusters that need swaps. They get quickly overgeared though.