Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Also, don't just kill poo poo to kill it, you're not a group of murder hobos.

Good luck with that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

I have had to repeatedly fix/tweak UDL in my purchased Rime module in Roll20. Some of the maps grind the browser tab of my my very strong computer to a snail's pace as well, although I have finally wrangled lighting into a working state on most of the maps.

Foundry does lighting SO MUCH BETTER it's unbelievable

Do you have any tips I should do with UDL for Rime in Roll20?

When we ran one of the Tales of the Yawning Portal adventures the maps were gigantic and slowed everything down. One solution I thought of was to actually copy-paste the maps and crop them in half to reduce resources. We ended up turning UDL off and drawing fog/black boxes over rooms.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Yeah, I DM'd my second ever session and the party killed a centaur, even though his brother would have a pretty good idea of who would've killed him and is a Wizard who's at least high enough level to cast Teleportation Circle, in cold blood. Then they went to find help for the dying man and woman he had kidnapped and beaten within an inch of life (well, the woman, not the man who "merely" had his legs broken) and chose to go to the local guard. Guards arrested them for murder - it's pretty irrelevant to the guard that they had good reason to kill the sadistic centaur. Good job guys, murdered then snitched on your own selves. Well they did manage to prevent the woman from dying going this route, so there's that.

That's the extent of the punishment they'll receive anyway, a night in jail. I hope it's just enough to get them to be a little more careful in the future!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
My Avernus group got into an argument early on about the "If we're good aligned, why did you just murder that guy that was annoying you, druid?" thing.

Thankfully my group is pretty RP heavy and it ended up seeding the eventual turn (over the last 6 months) of most of the party from mostly Good to neutral-at-best and mostly evil. Lots of easy hooks for that in Avernus for the DM too, thankfully.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Yeah, I DM'd my second ever session and the party killed a centaur, even though his brother would have a pretty good idea of who would've killed him and is a Wizard who's at least high enough level to cast Teleportation Circle, in cold blood. Then they went to find help for the dying man and woman he had kidnapped and beaten within an inch of life (well, the woman, not the man who "merely" had his legs broken) and chose to go to the local guard. Guards arrested them for murder - it's pretty irrelevant to the guard that they had good reason to kill the sadistic centaur. Good job guys, murdered then snitched on your own selves. Well they did manage to prevent the woman from dying going this route, so there's that.

That's the extent of the punishment they'll receive anyway, a night in jail. I hope it's just enough to get them to be a little more careful in the future!

To be honest I don't think PCs are likely to consider killing a guy who is kidnapping and beating people to death the wrong move, even if they spend a night in jail for it.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's a fitting punishment, I think. A night in jail is a good lesson, maybe a fine.

I really didn't want to wipe my party but there was no way for me to get them out of that situation without pulling some kind of divine intervention. I think it was a good lesson for a low level party. They were all okay with it in the long run. They're all much better players now.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

denimgorilla posted:

Good luck with that!

it might be because i don’t play with traditional ttrpg nerds or people who grew up raised on diablo and whatnot, but i have noticed that the prevalence of murderhobos has been vastly overstated

the only murderhobo i have ever encountered was me, at age 14, playing a dual wielding druid in my first campaign, killing a kid for not telling me information. i sucked as a 14 year old

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Highlight of last night:
*DM disconnects due to internet issues, just one of those days where everything goes wrong at once*
"I think I figured out what this riddle could mean."
"Oh yeah, if we do that then going in a straight line here will solve it."
"Good eye, a straightforward solution like that suggests we're right."
*DM reconnects*
"Okay, so we're going to go in a straight line here, does anything happen?"
DM later: "I can't believe you guys solved that by dumb luck just picking a lane."

Runner-up:
"Just for my notes, when you told them you only had one MacGuffin did you MEAN to say that or forgot you had more?"
"That was on purpose. By the way, I ask the NPC how likely those guys are to kill us later even if we cooperate."
"Oh, they never kill people who are still useful."
"Pretty likely then."
"Yup."

Then it devolved into an argument of whether walking into a trap knowing it was a trap would negate the rogue's half-damage abilities, and whether those would count for an ambush-style trap if it involved people casting spells at us instead of mechanical triggers for rocks (or spells). Because we're dorks and it was the end of the night.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Reveilled posted:

To be honest I don't think PCs are likely to consider killing a guy who is kidnapping and beating people to death the wrong move, even if they spend a night in jail for it.

No one considered it the wrong move in the sense that they believe their "wrong" didn't make a right. However, the Scribes Wizard and Order Cleric (who are both in the School of Order!) immediately understood the gravity of their lawlessness and gladly gave themselves over to the local guard without much ado. The heavy-breasted halfling Bard probably learned nothing, especially since the salacious Half-Orc guard released her from jail on her good word that she'd turn back up tomorrow - it's perfectly fine, she didn't do anything wrong in her eyes and I see no reason why that should change. The other two PCs are evil and have their own motives and reasons for the murder.

The Order Cleric will hopefully come to learn that the law of "men" (playable races) does not meet one to one with the laws of order in the greater schema, but that will need to borne out some other way since she's still young and learning.

The important lesson, which they haven't yet fully learned, is that the Schools operate on their own rules and often come against the codes of the city they reside in. The guardsman was really acting out his own personal vendetta against the lawlessness that the local school either allows, encourages, or looks the other way on and knew the charges probably wouldn't stick for a variety of reasons (not that they never do). Anyway the PCs tipped off the guard about the centaur's collaborator wizard brother which may spare them the brother's wrath if the guard can actually jail or execute him without the school's protest sticking (they will protest, sticking is the only thing in question). Haven't decided what happens with him fully. In any case the night in jail was ahead of the arraignment, they were arraigned the following morning and their charges will be dismissed at trial in six weeks. What they really shouldn't decide to do now is skip their court date!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Boy, I sure hope my players like Christmas music, because it's all they're getting tonight

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

change my name posted:

Boy, I sure hope my players like Christmas music, because it's all they're getting tonight

Last Christmas, the DM of a campaign I was in did a two-shot where all the music was variations on Last Christmas. It was pretty great.

Pity the campaign folded because two of the players couldn't rein in their abusive tendencies out of game and we had to sever from them.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

change my name posted:

That Doodles page on the right is a brilliant idea that I'm going to insert to my sheets on Roll20 now.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
Since my newbie group is going to be playing over Zoom, unfortunately I can't just buy an assload of dice and hand them out as needed since everyone needs their own. I've sent them some virtual dice recommendations, but is there a general rule of thumb for how many of each kind is a good starting point? So far I've gathered it would be cool to have:

2-3x d20 - 1 regular, 1 dis/advantage, maybe a distinct-looking one for inspiration
1-2x d10 - 1 regular, maybe 1 distinct-looking one for bardic inspiration

And then it's just like X number of d6-d12 depending on your class/level needs? Is there a good minimum amount of each that should get us through levels 1-5 regardless of class? Are there any other special situational dice besides those two inspirational types? 4d6 comes up a lot, should I just tell folks to get 4 complete polyhedral sets and call it a day?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Would a warlock or a druid be a better base for a witch character concept? I can see a thematic reason for both so looking for something to sway me one way or another.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Do you wanna be a witch who gets her powers from the murky forest itself or one who made congress with the devil?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

bear named tators posted:

Since my newbie group is going to be playing over Zoom, unfortunately I can't just buy an assload of dice and hand them out as needed since everyone needs their own. I've sent them some virtual dice recommendations, but is there a general rule of thumb for how many of each kind is a good starting point? So far I've gathered it would be cool to have:

2-3x d20 - 1 regular, 1 dis/advantage, maybe a distinct-looking one for inspiration

you actually only need 1 of each of the base polyhedral dice(16, 30, and 7 sided dice are not required for this game :eng101:) but if they want to splurge make sure to have that conversation with the player that they do not need to get gold engraved gemstone dice, but that the game will run smoother if they get(on top of 1 of each of the base polyhedral dice) a d100 for making percentages easier, 3 extra d6s, and 1 extra d20. anything past that is specialized - if your character regularly uses the spell "fireball" for whatever reason(example: having access to select the spell "fireball"), or are playing a rogue, they may want more d6s. on the other hand, a barbarian might want extra d12s.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Personally I'd recommend buying Sophie's Dice, which is a virtual dice app with nice physicality and a bunch of handy features. It's available on mobile and desktop and costs $5.

Or just use a dicebot. :shrug:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bear named tators posted:

And then it's just like X number of d6-d12 depending on your class/level needs? Is there a good minimum amount of each that should get us through levels 1-5 regardless of class? Are there any other special situational dice besides those two inspirational types? 4d6 comes up a lot, should I just tell folks to get 4 complete polyhedral sets and call it a day?

My recommendation for a starter pack:

• 2d20
  • 1d12
  • 1d10
  • 2d8
  • 4d6
  • 1d4

Various classes will want more, but that's going to be a safe amount to get started with. 2 of everything and 8d6 is pretty much optimal.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
Thanks to the three of you!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Toshimo posted:

My recommendation for a starter pack:

• 2d20
  • 1d12
  • 1d10
  • 2d8
  • 4d6
  • 1d4

Various classes will want more, but that's going to be a safe amount to get started with. 2 of everything and 8d6 is pretty much optimal.

I'd add another 1d10 or a straight percentile die

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
I just get a 7 dice set and an extra d20. If it’s a fireball caster, some more d6s.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Bottom Liner posted:

Would a warlock or a druid be a better base for a witch character concept? I can see a thematic reason for both so looking for something to sway me one way or another.

In a more mechanical sense, do you see yourself as a witch who weaves hexes and enchantments, or a witch who shoots people in the face? Because druid would probably be a better fit for a utility/support caster, I think. On the other hand, if your idea of a witch is an Ordinary Magician who shoots people in the face, then warlock is an entirely valid choice.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

Update, they utterly smashed through the clay/gingerbread golem like he was nothing and only the rogue got downed after the snow golems pulled off back-to-back crits

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ignite Memories posted:

Do you wanna be a witch who gets her powers from the murky forest itself or one who made congress with the devil?
Don't forget fae pact!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If you want to go with the classical idea of "witch of the woods" I'd definitely go druid.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bottom Liner posted:

Third option: alchemist artificer.

Double, double, toil and trouble,
Fire burn and cauldron bubble...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The correct option for a witch is any class with Animate Objects. That way you can stick giant chicken legs on the bottom of your hut and have it walk around. (They don't have to be real chicken legs, fake wooden or stone ones still work).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Do you have any tips I should do with UDL for Rime in Roll20?

When we ran one of the Tales of the Yawning Portal adventures the maps were gigantic and slowed everything down. One solution I thought of was to actually copy-paste the maps and crop them in half to reduce resources. We ended up turning UDL off and drawing fog/black boxes over rooms.
Not much good advice, other than to switch to Firefox which seems to run the maps with updated dynamic lighting somewhat better. I have noticed some maps work fine and quickly (Elven Tomb, Gem mine, Duergar outpost) and others chug my browser like poo poo for seemingly no reason (Verbeeg lair). I'm also suspicious that the "explorer mode" UDL toggle may be at fault as it got worse once I turned that on for everyone.

How many API scripts are you using?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Not much good advice, other than to switch to Firefox which seems to run the maps with updated dynamic lighting somewhat better. I have noticed some maps work fine and quickly (Elven Tomb, Gem mine, Duergar outpost) and others chug my browser like poo poo for seemingly no reason (Verbeeg lair). I'm also suspicious that the "explorer mode" UDL toggle may be at fault as it got worse once I turned that on for everyone.

How many API scripts are you using?

Not running any API stuff since I refuse to pay the next tier for that. I should have used the break between campaigns to move to Foundry, but sunk cost got me.

I also realize if I get into APIs that I will overengineer everything to the detriment of my players and myself. I always drift towards wanting to include a ton of things, scenes, etc. but then I go back to Lazy DM or AngryGM guides and realize that I suck at all the actual important parts of DMing. I'd feel more comfortable with less if I was better at the basics.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I've been playing in my first campaign (Dragon Heist) since April and we're all level 4 and combat is really starting to drag. I play a trickery cleric and spend most of the time spamming sacred flame or toll the dead. The rest of the time I'm waiting to heal people for 3 HP after they get KOed or whack things with spiritual weapon. I'm running out of ways to describe praying to Waukeen for things.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

folgore posted:

I've been playing in my first campaign (Dragon Heist) since April and we're all level 4 and combat is really starting to drag. I play a trickery cleric and spend most of the time spamming sacred flame or toll the dead. The rest of the time I'm waiting to heal people for 3 HP after they get KOed or whack things with spiritual weapon. I'm running out of ways to describe praying to Waukeen for things.

Yes, this is how you cleric.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
You’re *that* close to spirit guardians.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I enjoy just going by RNG for background personality hooks. Helps a character click without falling into the same thing every time. For a New Year's one-shot my wildfire circle druid folk hero's origin story is "a fey or similar creature appeared and told you of your destiny."

So I was an ordinary carpenter until my nature guide (who definitely exists you just can't see it) told me to burn things for justice to the common man. This is gonna be fun.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Been considering running a 1 player Curse of Strahd campaign for my wife... and not retooling any of it for a more balanced experience. It will be like Groundhog Day, but in Barovia. Every time her PC dies, it will respawn or she will roll an entirely new character and see how long she can survive the next time.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jeremor posted:

Been considering running a 1 player Curse of Strahd campaign for my wife... and not retooling any of it for a more balanced experience. It will be like Groundhog Day, but in Barovia. Every time her PC dies, it will respawn or she will roll an entirely new character and see how long she can survive the next time.

It's a pretty roundabout way to get a divorce, but it will probably work.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

yeah i’d make sure your wife is cool with that level of grind

e: also i’m pretty sure if you run death house for her like that it would be mathematically impossible for her to finish

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Oh, this was her idea. I'm thinking starting at lvl 3, skip death house, and have it more literally be groundhog day in barovia. Her character dies, wakes up as if starting over but higher level and with the knowledge she gained. Everyone reacts as if its the first encounter again.

I'm thinking a lvl 20 character would wipe the floor with strahd, even alone... or with a couple of npc's help.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I like it! You could really play up the concept in a few different ways to help make it fun / not utterly relentless:

- Her characters' previous corpses are left behind where she died. She can examine them to gain clues about defeating the thing that killed her last time / extract poison from their remains / use their severed limbs as bait / talk to a zombified version of herself for advice or banter.
- Each time she dies, she gains some new power or insight into defeating Strahd that also drags her closer to the madness of Ravenloft and endangers her (the ghosts of the dead begin to whisper to her, the Mists begin to engulf her in wraith-like properties, etc)

Molrok
May 30, 2011

The previous incarnation of her shows up, alive and well, and now you gotta fight it out to figure out which one is a soulless Barovian shellperson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
You could drum up some interactions with the Dark Powers. They resurrect her each time, bestowing her with some additional power, corrupting her more and more with the eventual goal of making her Strahd’s replacement. You can give her bonus feats, stats, hit points, spells, abilities, whatever. But the more she accepts the more damned she becomes.