Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

I guess that's one way to make sure he doesn't spend it all before retirement

https://twitter.com/coindesk/status/1343920434639761408

twitter thinks this is the reply i need to see most

https://twitter.com/GlendaClarke2/status/1343948151506534405

ugh, blank people :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think you'd start to have problems until a few magnitudes more than that. In fact it probably happens every day. Exchanges have much more than that in liquidity, so it's just moving numbers around in their database instead of involving the actual bitcoin network.

You'll definitely get a lot of questions about taxing and money laundering from the bank's side, but enough people have done it successfully. I'd be curious if you need to do stuff like Adjusted Cost Base calculations for it, that would be the hardest part.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also i'm sure everyone already knew this inherently, but what they mean by "paid in bitcoin" is "not actually paid in bitcoin"

quote:

How Strike works
Technically speaking, Okung is still being paid in fiat. Behind the scenes, however, is Lightning Network magic: Strike receives a direct deposit from his team, the Carolina Panthers, and then swaps dollars for bitcoin. That bitcoin is then sent to a cold storage wallet held by Okung, Mallers said. (To recap, Lightning is a secondary system for sending bitcoin in a cheaper and quicker fashion compared to using the Bitcoin network itself.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Mallers said Strike is now processing into the “seven figures” of monthly volume and expects that number to grow as more big names join Strike’s newest payment method. Strike does not currently receive any cut for processing payments, Mallers said, but it might as the product gains adoption.

losing money on each transaction but making it up on volume, excellent

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This is the second worst sports strike this year

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Why couldn't he do this himself? Get money and buy however many bits you want.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Paladinus posted:

because the entire point of bitcoin companies is to shove themselves in-between every step of a transaction and try and profit off it

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Paladinus posted:

I've heard bit-coin can have some slight usability challenges

so in a way, he is, but just outsourcing the labor of interfacing with the lightning network to a third party

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Boxturret posted:

because the entire point of bitcoin companies is to shove themselves in-between every step of a transaction and try and profit off it

I notice that a lot of criticisms of bitcoin also work if you remove the word bitcoin.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

xtal posted:

I notice that a lot of criticisms of bitcoin also work if you remove the word bitcoin.

yes, but a number of businesses that aren’t buttcoin-related provide a product or service in addition to rent-seeking.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So the bitcoin thread has come to defending capitalism because it also applies to bitcoin. Can I get two confirmations to lmao?

xtal fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 29, 2020

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

xtal posted:

So the bitcoin thread has come to defending capitalism because it also applies to bitcoin. Can I get two confirmations to lmao?

you misspelled too

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

xtal posted:

your cunning trap of "we laugh at all of it" isn't panning out

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

xtal posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Three confirmations is fine too.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

cool puppet master itt

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

next you should try the "oh you say bitcoin is bad because people use it for illegal things? well F.I.A.T. can also be used for crimes!" one, that's always good

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Good work, you're like 80 percent close to being self aware

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

You apologize to your thread and tell it that the bitcoin was a bad bitcoin who
deserved to die. You tell your thread that the bitcoin was a murderer and that
the bitcoin should've never had children. You then leave the thread to clean up the mess.

After cleaning up, you go back to sleep:ins:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

my goodness bitcoin is good! i guess because other thing is bad? i have been utterly destroyed by logic

it's true what they say about anarchists, they are just so handsome and smart. on average their heads are 20% larger than a normal person because their brains are just so big and strong

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
USD is just bitcoin for fascists. The exact same problems apply to one and the other. Criticism directed at BTC is misdirected criticism of capitalism.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm starting to think this is some sort of performance art because even Seraph isn't this bad at arguing on the internet.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
idk why this moron can't figure out that pointing out that some non-bitcoin companies still offer goods and services is not a defense of capitalism. in "normal" capitalism, industries are incentivized to transition to rent-seeking to keep profits up, but since bitcoin is just capitalism speedrun, all bitcoin-related companies have already gone past trying to sell a product and just moved to pure middleman status

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what's a youessdee:confused:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

xtal posted:

You're really gonna need to put about four adjectives in front of capitalism if you want us to take you seriously as an anarchist.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 29, 2020

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Boxturret posted:

what's a youessdee:confused:

usd's nutz

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

xtal posted:

Good work, you're like 80 percent close to being self aware

Is there not a CSPAM thread you should be posting drumpf in 30 times a second ?

That would be more productive than this sad performance

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

you idiots laughing at bitcoin, if you were an anarchist like me you would have the intelligence to realise that all your criticisms also apply to youessdee! they are literally the same. but bitcoin is good and will bring about socioanarchistic utopia because it lets you buy drugs off the internet

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the hardest part of being an anarchist is having to wear a special neck brace to stop my giant brain from crushing my spinal column

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

xtal posted:

did you miss the part where the whole reason 90% of bitcoin is funny is because it's just been idiots rehashing the entire history of finance compressed into like 10 years because none of them seem to think they can learn anything from history so they make the same mistakes over and over again?

xtal posted:

USD is just bitcoin for fascists. The exact same problems apply to one and the other. Criticism directed at BTC is misdirected criticism of capitalism.

so you're saying it has all the same fash and capitalist problems as actual money, therefore you... support it?

like this gets brought up a ton and the whole angle hinges on the idea that "sure it's got the same problems as USD, but" except the "but" is always nebulous and hand-wavey and ignores all the extra problems it brings to the table.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I use EUR :smuggo:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

gschmidl posted:

EUR a nerd lol

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

gschmidl posted:

i think EUR is bitcoin for narcoleptics, if i'm reading this chart correctly

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

suck my dong op

TruthAboutTether
Dec 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Regarding tether: The idea that tether will cause Bitcoin to collapse is one of those half-baked conspiracies that is an unholy spawn born from parents of paranoia and shitcoin propaganda. There was a lawsuit here in the US where one of the gov agencies, I forget which, sued bitfinex (who issues tether) for issuing unbacked tether loans to itself.

Following that lawsuit, it was revealed tether only had a backing of 74%. Bitfenix was basically printing their own money out of nowhere and then using that to purchase Bitcoin. They were ordered to stop that and carried on with their business.

Some people believe if tether were to collapse, for some reason bitcoin would too. This conspiracy revolves around th eidea there is no real demand for Bitcoin, it's all just tether and bitfinex making up money and pumping it.

Some people believe that if tether were to collapse, for some reason bitcoin would too. This conspiracy stems from the fallacious idea there is no real demand for Bitcoin, it's all just tether and Bitfinex making up money and pumping it. This is obviously absurd on its face, there is a ton of bitcoin demand, and were tether to fail people (who formerly held tether) would run TO bitcoin, not away from it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

go away seraph we're dealing with an antichrist right now

TruthAboutTether
Dec 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

did you miss the part where the whole reason 90% of bitcoin is funny is because it's just been idiots rehashing the entire history of finance compressed into like 10 years because none of them seem to think they can learn anything from history so they make the same mistakes over and over again?
It's a learning experience to be sure, because we're in totally uncharted territory now. Yes mistakes are going to be made, yes some people are going to lose (loads) of money. And yes others are going to make an absolute killing. But don't miss the forest for the trees here: this is a revolution, an evolution - a total paradigm shift in the way we have to think about money and economics. Rather than adding to the books written so far about these concepts, we have to throw them away and start fresh. That's how monumental a shift this is.

Shame Boy posted:

so you're saying it has all the same fash and capitalist problems as actual money, therefore you... support it?
Bitcoin kills capitalism, as I've already explained:

quote:

Bitcoin was created to give financial sovereignty - rightfully ours - to the individual, by "stealing" it from the nation-state, that foulest of usurpers. Bitcoin is tool but also a tremendously powerful weapon. Unlike all prior attempts to accomplish this feat throughout history, Bitcoin does not rely on violence but, instead, works insidiously by turning capitalism against itself.

Knowing this, the rational capitalist should avoid Bitcoin at all costs. Of course, capitalism isn't rational (or sane), nor are most capitalists aware of what I just explained to you, nor can any of them resist the new economic reality that Bitcoin inevitably creates.

Capitalism is like anaerobic bacteria, and transparency is oxygen. Bitcoin forces capitalism into an environment (the publicly auditable blockchain) which is "hyper-oxygenated" with transparency, and therefore toxic and ultimately fatal to capitalism.

Once a sufficient fraction of Earth's wealth has been absorbed onto the blockchain, humanity will be forced to stare this structural genocide in the face, and at some point compassion and ethics will take hold once again. That will be the point at which capitalism breaks down completely, and we transcend.

Very few people are going to adopt Bitcoin for altruistic reasons or to support some idealistic vision of bringing about a less violent world, the vast majority of Earth's population will be dragged along, many of them kicking in screaming. Hyperbitcoinization will create a situation of irresistible economic coercion. Simply put, it will be a stampede. Everyone will divest from national fiat and invest in Bitcoin because every other currency is going to be relatively worthless in the not too distant future.
Bitcoin uses the logic of capitalism insidiously against itself just as capitalism insidiously twists both culture (ritual) and (pseudo)science (economics) to serve the interests of the elite. In other words, you have no choice but to capitulate. You only get to decide how much wealth you bleed out before capitulation.

But isn't human nature the reason capitalism sucks?

In short, no. Capitalism is a system of distributing goods and resources built largely on 18th century economic mythology / pseudoscience, with a bunch of ritual layered on top. There were no special flaws in human nature that spawned capitalism in the first place, it's just a system that was engineered over three hundred years ago. It was created by people who thought slavery was ethically A-okay.

They did the best they could, in fact the transition from feudalism to capitalism was at the time a major net good - the beginning of a more compassionate and far less wasteful system for distributing goods and resources. They just weren't anywhere near as good at systems-engineering or ethics as we modern folk are today. No one has ever successfully dismantled this system and tried to build a better, more compassionate one. Primarily because it is a proud tradition of organized capitalists to crush any viable alternatives before they have a chance to take root. Unfortunately for the capitalist masters of the universe, violence is completely ineffective as a leveraging tool on the Blockchain. For the first time in history, a peaceful revolution is possible. Essentially, we can just walk away.

All we've done for the past three hundred years is add layer after layer of complexity to an ancient and antiquated system until you get what we have today: a hideously over-engineered system collapsing under its own weight. Bitcoin is a wrench in the gears of a very old, very complex, and very fragile machine.

As for this:

Shame Boy posted:

like this gets brought up a ton and the whole angle hinges on the idea that "sure it's got the same problems as USD, but" except the "but" is always nebulous and hand-wavey and ignores all the extra problems it brings to the table.
What problems do you think bitcoin has? Anything this doesn't address?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-NwFOAS0ZA

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
7 tps isn't enough for a shopping mall but it'll be enough for the entire world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TruthAboutTether
Dec 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious posted:

7 tps isn't enough for a shopping mall but it'll be enough for the entire world
It's actually closer to 15 TPS on the base blockchain at this point, and millions of TPS when you consider the lightning network.

To say nothing of all the other innovation layers yet to come.