Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Thanks for posting the reminders each day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

repiv posted:

Solitairica is free on EGS today

Just Torchlight 2 and Jurassic World Evolution left now

Don't sleep on this, Solitairica is fantastic.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

elf help book posted:

Thanks for posting the reminders each day

yeah, no joke, I would've missed a bunch of these games without the reminders

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Torchlight will be my first repeat freebie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I skipped night in the woods because I thought I already had it and I do not ):

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Len posted:

Did you get the itch.io BLM bundle? It's in there

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

repiv posted:

Did you get the itch.io BLM bundle? It's in there

Well at least I'm not crazy, I did buy that bundle because how could I not?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

bowmore posted:

i love my free generic game

never talk to me or my free generic game again

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Len posted:

I think last year they put everything that had been up, back up on the last day.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Years ago I was looking forward to Torchlight 2 since I enjoyed 1 but then Diablo 3 was announced and welp. Not sure how it holds up now.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Tagichatn posted:

Years ago I was looking forward to Torchlight 2 since I enjoyed 1 but then Diablo 3 was announced and welp. Not sure how it holds up now.

I did a run through recently.
Its still fun.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It gets very repetitive but it scratches the mindless looting numbers go up box if you like that. Not sure on non-steam versions but there were a lot of decent mods that changed things up for it.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I enjoyed playing through Torchlight 2 way back when it was new, but IIRC it still had the old Diablo format of "play through the game again two more times" if you wanted to get an actual high-level character, and I didn't have any drive to do that.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Tagichatn posted:

It's simple, colorful and fun. Good for short sessions, but can also work as a podcast-listening game. Last time I played it was on Steam, with some nifty workshop mods. You can also find those on Nexus.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cage-free egghead posted:

It gets very repetitive but it scratches the mindless looting numbers go up box if you like that. Not sure on non-steam versions but there were a lot of decent mods that changed things up for it.

I haven't tried them out, but it looks like all the popular Steam mods are also on Nexus.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I've never seen goons being this positive about Torchlight 2 (and I agree. It's pretty bland and generic and probably not as well-designed as Diablo 3 and other options, but it was pretty fun to beat once).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm pretty sure the reason anyone is being this positive about it is because the context is that the game is free. pretty sure the conversation would change even if it was only at a $10 price point.

but for my part, i'm not confident torchlight 2 is worth your time even at the free marker. it's the poster child for a competently assembled game that does nothing new, interesting, challenging, or memorable - and that was true back at release. it's not bad by the normal definition of bad, but your life is precious and your time has value. i'm unconvinced torchlight 2 brings enough to the table to be worth it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I think Torchlight doesn't allow for respecs (I think people modded this in?), which super turned me off. Diablo 3 had an incredible respec-at-any-time-for-free system which allowed for experimentation. I hate permanently going down one path and then learning it sucks after hours of play.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

I think Torchlight doesn't allow for respecs (I think people modded this in?), which super turned me off. Diablo 3 had an incredible respec-at-any-time-for-free system which allowed for experimentation. I hate permanently going down one path and then learning it sucks after hours of play.

If that's the case, make sure you stay away from D4, since respecs won't be free, and will be hard to come by (as of current plans, anyway)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kheldarn posted:

If that's the case, make sure you stay away from D4, since respecs won't be free, and will be hard to come by (as of current plans, anyway)

lol that wont last a day in beta

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Torchlight 2's main issue is it's a competent diablolike - in a world where there are a ton of good diablolikes that exist and also Path of Exile is free. But you can still grab it and some friends and have an alright time for however long until you get bored.

Also I guess it's second issue is retreading Diablo 2 but being worse. Then again I haven't played D2 in years so I could be misremembering how good that game was.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 30, 2020

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, not feeling it. Then again, I also fully expect D4 to have some type of MTX right at launch. No high hopes for that project.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Torchlight 2 has respecs, but it's 1 point at a time and has increasing costs.

It's a decent game, although nothing really makes it stand out from other stuff in the genre. Its best feature is that you have a pet that you can send to town to sell things and buy potions for you.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Quill posted:

Yeah, not feeling it. Then again, I also fully expect D4 to have some type of MTX right at launch. No high hopes for that project.

It's Activision, so yeah it's going to be designed around MTX from the ground up. They stripped D3 back to just a handful of staff members once they realised it couldn't easily be reworked into a consistent cash cow like Hearthstone or WoW

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Don't give Activision any money. Its not even the same Blizzard that made Diablo, so you are essentially paying for the name. I know people suck at actually boycotting stuff, but maybe it'd be more effective if people didn't always use that as excuse not to do it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

D4 will be disappointing at launch and get a dlc or a battle chest or whatever that makes it amazing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Switch diablo 3 -> yuzu with controller -> fun

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I only played Diablo 3 on console and it wasn't so much respecs as you slowly unlock abilities in a set order and you can only have a handful active at once.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Coolguye posted:

i'm pretty sure the reason anyone is being this positive about it is because the context is that the game is free. pretty sure the conversation would change even if it was only at a $10 price point.

but for my part, i'm not confident torchlight 2 is worth your time even at the free marker. it's the poster child for a competently assembled game that does nothing new, interesting, challenging, or memorable - and that was true back at release. it's not bad by the normal definition of bad, but your life is precious and your time has value. i'm unconvinced torchlight 2 brings enough to the table to be worth it.

I can confirm that my friends and I played Torchlight 2 for free, and all of us thoroughly regretted wasting the time. It's a boring, boring game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

RodShaft posted:

D4 will be disappointing at launch and get a dlc or a battle chest or whatever that makes it amazing passable.

Skwirl posted:

I only played Diablo 3 on console and it wasn't so much respecs as you slowly unlock abilities in a set order and you can only have a handful active at once.

D3 is like a fraction of the game until you get an end game 6 piece set and build that actually makes you actually do stuff. The power curve is loving insane and a fresh level 60 character will literally do .001% of the DPS of a geared character. The worse part though is that the difficulty is purely math scaling and not mechanics based, so you don't get more engaging gameplay as your character improves, it's literally just larger numbers.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 30, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

D3 is like a fraction of the game until you get an end game 6 piece set and build that actually makes you actually do stuff. The power curve is loving insane and a fresh level 60 character will literally do .001% of the DPS of a geared character. The worse part though is that the difficulty is purely math scaling and not mechanics based, so you don't get more engaging gameplay as your character improves, it's literally just larger numbers.

I enjoyed what I played of D3 but never got to level 60. I think if I had friends to play it with for couch co-op I might have pressed on that far.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Couch coop d3 on the PS4 was a really fun time when my wife and I were dating. We’d get high and play video games then make out.

In conclusion, D3 was a great game.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I should try that. Can your wife come to my place this weekend?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

TODAY IS THE DAY SOLITAIRICA IS FREE ON EGS AWWWW YESSSSS

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/solitairica/home

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Artelier posted:

TODAY IS THE DAY SOLITAIRICA IS FREE ON EGS AWWWW YESSSSS

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/solitairica/home

I tried it and it seemed dull as poo poo

like the third random battle I got into had a stretch of 20 turns where there was one card stack left with no progress. I drew a random card, then the monster card changed randomly because they were 'dazzled', and there weren't any matches, so I had to keep taking hits with no gameplay decisions at all

eventually the RNG was kind enough to feed me the 'kill this' magic fuel, but I'd prefer to actually have some ability to effect the outcome of a battle

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Had to double check this wasn't the d3 thread.

Torchlight 2 is boring. I've tried to beat the campaign a couple times but I never make it more than a couple hours. And I love action RPGs.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

Torchlight 2 is boring. I've tried to beat the campaign a couple times but I never make it more than a couple hours. And I love action RPGs.

I quite liked Torchlight 1, but yeah, don't recall sinking Amy time at all into 2.
Was considering getting my playgroup to play through it since it's free, and I played solo, so thought friends might help, but think we'll just keep playing Apex

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Suburban Dad posted:

It's kind of amazing that even with a new free game every day this thread can still have page-long derails arguing about completely unrelated games.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Suburban Dad posted:

You can tell it's not the d3 thread because people are talking about d3 and not making GBS threads on each other for posting bad primals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Tunicate posted:

I tried it and it seemed dull as poo poo

like the third random battle I got into had a stretch of 20 turns where there was one card stack left with no progress. I drew a random card, then the monster card changed randomly because they were 'dazzled', and there weren't any matches, so I had to keep taking hits with no gameplay decisions at all

eventually the RNG was kind enough to feed me the 'kill this' magic fuel, but I'd prefer to actually have some ability to effect the outcome of a battle

if this post is just meant as "bloo bloo game bad uninstalled" then sure, go hog wild. if you actually want help you'll need to explain a bit more specifically about what happened

p.s. for those wondering, solitairica is actually quite good and it's almost always your own fault when you get into a hard to win situation