Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

Interesting technique, I usually just push it in gently until it can't go forward anymore, but that might explain how I wore out a nozzle (although I had it for almost 4 years at that point).

Didn't I link this to you at some point when we were troubleshooting your airbrush problems a while back?

Also, you dont need to run solvent if the brush is already clean. Water works fine for troubleshooting or setting the needle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Suzaku posted:

:words:
You can sonic bath the nozzle and caps.

Thanks for the nice summary!

One comment on the part I left though: I've seen people say to not even do that because the threads are so fine they can be damaged by this. I did it all the time on my Sotar (90s after every session) and indeed it wasn't as smooth to remove or or screw them back. But I honestly don't remember if that's how they were since the beginning or if I wore them out in the sonic bath.

Symetrique posted:

This should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWFoG5Inmw

The needle insertion technique at 5min in should help prevent you from inserting it too far or forcefully. You don't really need the special iwata nozzle wrench unless you're worried about dropping or damaging your nozzle. The included one is fine for removing the nozzle, just never use it to tighten the nozzle. This is usually what causes them to break.

Ah yes I remember seeing that tool in one of the review. I think I'll buy it if only because I dropped the nozzle quite a few times in my life and it seems it would mitigate that! And I definitely broke a nozzle once exactly like you described, though I've since learned to do it the proper way.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Finished a "speed build" (only took me a month instead of 2+) for a North Africa themed groupbuild. I picked an old and awful kit, but I think I drowned it in pigment enough for it to work.

Full album: https://imgur.com/gallery/R6D0lM7

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I have been inspired by some of the 144th scale builds in here and so

Oh God what have I done

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Now you have to find and train a spider to do the rigging.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Unkempt posted:

Oh God what have I done

I can't wait. My 1:144 jets are hard enough. The WW2 fighters are harder. That... woof. Well good luck!

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Hello modelling thread! I built a (very) few models many many years ago, mostly because it was something my Dad did - he did mostly planes, and mostly WWII planes - and kids are like that. Since then I've built/painted some minis for tabletop games, but no models. However recently we've noticed that my Dad has entirely stopped building models although he's been interested in some of my mini painting. I asked my Mum if she thought he'd like it if I built him a model, and she thinks he would.

So I'm going to build this

because I like Typhoons, I'm reasonably certain that my Dad never built a Typhoon, but this kit can be used to make an RCAF Typhoon, and most of the stuff my Dad built has been RCAF planes.'

Or, at least, the kit I thought I was buying can be used to make an RCAF Typhoon. In what will surely be the first of many examples of Insufficient Attention Was Paid, the kit I actually bought is a recent rebox of the Airfix Typhoon that ... no longer comes with RCAF decals. Not to worry. Supplementary decal set ordered and in any case this can all wait because I'm going to shake off at least some of the rust building something before I do Dad's Typhoon:

I don't know what to tell you, I've always thought the Lysander was cool. So I'll build this thing, hopefully (re)learn the worst of the hard lessons on it, and then do the Typhoon.

Right out of the gate there are important decisions to make - do I take the (arguably) easier route and the (nearly) all-black colour scheme, or the probably-more-useful-for-getting ready-for-the-Typhoon camo pattern? Which, inspected closer, reveals another problem, which is that the paints indicated here are a problem. There is a Mr. Color 334, and a Mr. Color Medium Sea Grey, but they are not the same paint. Also while there is a C15 Green, it looks a *lot* darker than the kind of olive-y green depicted here. Do I trust their picture, or the paint code they printed?

Or, I could just do the all black thing.

Ahhh, I've missed this.

Anyway, on pause for now while I think on this paint issue. I have (silently) admired the work in this thread a great deal and I expect I'll be back pleading for help before long.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Good luck, always nice to see another new person getting into the hobby!

As for your paint issue, I would say go with the paint code. The limitations of print mean the printed image will almost never exactly match the real world paint color. Even the dedicated paint swatch brochures from the paint makers themselves will often differ from the real world color tones.

It's all academic though, depending on how much of a stickler you are for accuracy. Some people live and die by trying to ensure their paint colors match the real world color as closely as possible. Others just want to paint the color that looks "right" to them, or how it should look in their minds eye, regardless if that matches the real world color or not. I say go with whatever makes you happiest, whatever makes the build as fun as possible for you.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gewehr 43 posted:

1/32 is God's own scale. :v

That said, your Tinybolt looks great! I don't have the eyesight or dexterity to work in 1/144 scale for airplanes.

1/32nd scale kits are not really any different from smaller scales. Just usually more parts and more paint required. More opportunities for scratch building detail too.

What kits did you get? Feel free to ask me any questions you may have; for airplanes, I pretty much only work in 1/32.

I've got the Tamiya Mustang and Corsair, as well as the Zokei-mura SWS Mustang, which I guess I'm gonna have to magnetize the hell out of so all the panels are removable. It'll probably be a while before I tackle any of them, but I figured I should ask what I'm getting myself into.

Unkempt posted:

Oh God what have I done

haha good luck buddy

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Good luck, always nice to see another new person getting into the hobby!

As for your paint issue, I would say go with the paint code. The limitations of print mean the printed image will almost never exactly match the real world paint color. Even the dedicated paint swatch brochures from the paint makers themselves will often differ from the real world color tones.

Thank you! And yeah, what I think I'll do is see if I can order the actual Mr. Color paint (most of what I have is Vallejo and Reaper) and then go with whatever it looks like. A dark green kind of makes sense to me for a plane that was doing late-night insertions behind enemy lines, anyway.

I'm gonna have to pay careful attention to this stuff for the Typhoon, though, because my Dad is 100% one of those people who would carefully research the exact right shade for a Mosquito in autumn 1944.

e: wait, Mr. Color is lacquer. Egads, no.

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 31, 2020

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
A friend of mine is getting into scale train building and he recently put together a nyc subway car, he wants to cover it in graffiti so he's wondering what the best method is? should he use this as an excuse to finally buy an airbrush, or is there a company that sells graffity decals? would it make sense to download graffiti images from a site like textures.com and then print out his own decals?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also I forgot to post this. Excuse the bad phone photo as I got sent this from my Dad, he found an old spaceship model I made a few years ago when I was learning how to kitbash and paint models. I was going for some kind of fuel tanker.

Can you guess what the body is made out of? It's one of those bottles of aloe water, the green ones

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I think it looks great. There is a very old hovertank that the White Dwarf staff built and posted as an article in the early days of 40k that was made out of a deodorant container.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Its been a slighty slow build year for me with only 3 models making it to the shelf and another 3 partially completed. I didn't think the 3rd model was going to make it but here we are with another completed car. It's tamiya's xanavi nismo GT-R (R35) in the alternative motul livery. It's mostly an out of the box build but I added a few extra bits and bobs because I found them in the bits box and of course with a modern car there is a large amount of carbon fibre which I tried my best to replicate the same as the prototype car. Hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

evenworse username posted:

e: wait, Mr. Color is lacquer. Egads, no.

https://www.modelshade.com can help you find matching colors from other manufacturers.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

A package of drugssupplies arrived. I don't have a problem, I swear, I could quit tomorrow.

Seriously, though, any recommendations on alternatives to Tamiya tape? I think the valkyrie is actually going to bankrupt me at this rate.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Bucnasti posted:

https://www.modelshade.com can help you find matching colors from other manufacturers.

Thank you! Turns out there is a Vallejo that should work, which makes me happy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Spectral Elvis posted:

Seriously, though, any recommendations on alternatives to Tamiya tape? I think the valkyrie is actually going to bankrupt me at this rate.

This is a post of mine from a little while ago when I switched tapes.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've completely switched over from Tamiya tape to K-UTG Gold Tape, from FBS. Works just as well as Tamiya, and available up to 3" wide, and much longer than Tamiya rolls. Available at lots of online stores.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is a post of mine from a little while ago when I switched tapes.

Absolutely perfect, thanks.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Hah, I got the same one as an Xmas gift, hopefully it turns out half as well, amazing work as always.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Immolat1on posted:

Hah, I got the same one as an Xmas gift, hopefully it turns out half as well, amazing work as always.

Thanks man I’ve got a pair of porsches that have the bodies finished but I gotta do all of the internal stuff before they’re finished.
With the decals on that kit just take your time especially with the big ones that run from the doors back to the metallic black colour as they set up the rest of the car in a lot of ways. The ones for the chromed roof are also tricky but I ended up gluing the roof in place before the decaling process happened. I’ve also used quite a bit of micro set to get things working.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I did some boat stuff! Not on my new project, but rather I am pretty much finished with all the prep-work I can do for the big project until after the holiday weekend when I can hopefully start working on getting the wood and finishing the build board, but even then it will be a bit before I get started, so I pulled the Medway Longboat off the shelf and actually finished some more frames.

The one-piece frames were all previously completed, way back whenever the hell it was I last updated this, like 2 years ago, so next up was the 3-piece frames. These frame pieces come laser cut with the two side pieces joined by a temporary bulkhead/holder piece, and the 3rd piece, the 'floor' separate. I failed to take good pictures of the assembly process, I'll try to get a couple when I finish the rest.

The process involves removing one frame-set from the parts sheets at a time, because the floors do not have a part number etched on them and it would be bad to mix them up. There are some very specific areas that the laser char needs to be cleaned up from before assembly, the bottom center of the floor, the curved upper ends of the floor, and the curved lower ends of the two side pieces. Once the char is cleaned up, it's a simple matter of laying a metal straight edge across the laser-etched line on the temporary bulkhead, applying some glue to the remaining exposed portion of the side frames, and aligning the floor using the straight-edge and mark 1 eyeball, and pressing them together and letting the glue set.

Once the frames have set up for a bit, they are then added to the keel / building board for dry fit.

Pictures!

As with everything previously in this kit, no issues at all, slight sanding and everything fits perfectly. Nine of the 3-piece frames are complete, 6 to go.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm working on the Revell A7A and here's my thoughts:

Its a Revell kit from 1979. The fit ain't great but its better than most other Revell kits. The detail level is very low. The decals aren't the easiest to work with.

I tried black basing and I think it came out ok. My nozzle is not super suited to small fine work as I would want for black basing

I decided to get Mr Surfacer 1000 to continue to try and get a better surface finish. I fill and sand a ton but there's always seams or uneven surfaces. If anyone has any comprehensive tutorials on hand for gap filling/seams/sanding I'd appreciate it because applying putty and sanding like crazy isn't producing results so I'm doing something wrong

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 2, 2021

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Phi230 posted:

I'm working on the Revell A7A and here's my thoughts:

Its a Revell kit from 1979. The fit ain't great but its better than most other Revell kits. The detail level is very low. The decals aren't the easiest to work with.

I tried black basing and I think it came out ok. My nozzle is not super suited to small fine work as I would want for black basing

I decided to get Mr Surfacer 1000 to continue to try and get a better surface finish. I fill and sand a ton but there's always seams or uneven surfaces. If anyone has any comprehensive tutorials on hand for gap filling/seams/sanding I'd appreciate it because applying putty and sanding like crazy isn't producing results so I'm doing something wrong

Use different types of filler for different types of seam repairs. Mr Surfacer is really only good for small imperfections, but filling large seams or gaps is better left to fillers that you can sculpt, like miliput, apoxie sculpt/clay. Since these can be cleaned with water, it helps avoid unnecessary sanding that can destroy nearby detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI7mMHSWMEg

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Anyone have good tweezer suggestions? The ones I have have always been a bit flimsy, but I'm really, really feeling it now that I'm doing a little Metal Earth kit with lots of metal bending. The tweezers are bending or twisting almost as much as the kit, and I can't really clamp down the various tabs as much as I'd like.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Would forceps be helpful?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Symetrique posted:

Use different types of filler for different types of seam repairs. Mr Surfacer is really only good for small imperfections, but filling large seams or gaps is better left to fillers that you can sculpt, like miliput, apoxie sculpt/clay. Since these can be cleaned with water, it helps avoid unnecessary sanding that can destroy nearby detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI7mMHSWMEg

Most of my trouble on this kit are tiny seams where parts are glued together. I used Tamiya Putty and Perfect Plastic Putty and sanded quite a bit but can't get it flat

You can't even feel them with a finger or toothpick but you can see them

Ironically tge two relatively large gaps at the wing roots filled just fine after wiping with water. Maybe I'm bad at sanding

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 3, 2021

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Tamiya putty will shrink as it cures. I'd be surprised if other putty didn't do the same to some degree. Make sure to let it cure completely before sanding.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bill Posters posted:

Tamiya putty will shrink as it cures. I'd be surprised if other putty didn't do the same to some degree. Make sure to let it cure completely before sanding.

What should it look like after sanding? When I sand it the putty all but disappears or is gone completely

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Maybe I'm bad at sanding

Sanding a seam, whether a putty filled plastic seam, or a glue-filled wood seam you are dealing with the same issue - two things that are a different hardness and therefore sand at different rates.

If you are using a 'soft' sander of some kind, whether it's your finger or a soft sanding stick (like a foam block), you can end up sanding away more of the base material on either side of the seam than the filler material that you are trying to remove.

The solution for this is to use a sanding stick that has a hard backing so that the sandpaper cannot flex down into the base material on either side of the seam, but is forced by the hard backing to stay in the shape of the sanding stick. You could also use small, good quality files in many cases where working on putty/glue seams and just finish with very fine sandpaper.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh I had no idea. I mostly use sanding sponges and sandpaper and sanding sticks

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
For a cheap sanding stick solution, you can glue sandpaper to popsicle sticks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Suzaku posted:

Or small dowels.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Midjack posted:

Would forceps be helpful?
Yeah, I keep coming back in my mind to something like compound forceps. Something where a lot of force can be applied right at the tip.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Slugworth posted:

Anyone have good tweezer suggestions? The ones I have have always been a bit flimsy, but I'm really, really feeling it now that I'm doing a little Metal Earth kit with lots of metal bending. The tweezers are bending or twisting almost as much as the kit, and I can't really clamp down the various tabs as much as I'd like.

If you have a Michaels near you, their beading section has a ton of tweezers and forceps in them. Last time I was at one, I noticed several that would be perfect for Metal Earth kits.

You want something with flat, non-serrated jaws, and preferably a flat nose on the front. I used something like below when I was doing Metal Earth kits. They are about 2.5" total length.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Suzaku posted:

For less effort just get nail files/emery boards.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

The Locator posted:

Sanding a seam, whether a putty filled plastic seam, or a glue-filled wood seam you are dealing with the same issue - two things that are a different hardness and therefore sand at different rates.

If you are using a 'soft' sander of some kind, whether it's your finger or a soft sanding stick (like a foam block), you can end up sanding away more of the base material on either side of the seam than the filler material that you are trying to remove.

The solution for this is to use a sanding stick that has a hard backing so that the sandpaper cannot flex down into the base material on either side of the seam, but is forced by the hard backing to stay in the shape of the sanding stick. You could also use small, good quality files in many cases where working on putty/glue seams and just finish with very fine sandpaper.

Get a decent set of jewlers (or needle) files, they are perfect for this sort of thing, but take some practice to use. I'd suggest doing a really crap kit, or just gluing some scrap sprue together and practice shaping on that with them. You can get the hang of the different shaped files that way pretty quickly, and then kind of focus on shaping filler.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Poisonlizard posted:

Get a decent set of jewlers (or needle) files, they are perfect for this sort of thing, but take some practice to use. I'd suggest doing a really crap kit, or just gluing some scrap sprue together and practice shaping on that with them. You can get the hang of the different shaped files that way pretty quickly, and then kind of focus on shaping filler.

You probably meant to quote the other dude, I already spent far too much money on files. I got fed up with the quality of 'hobby' jewelers files and use Grobet or Vallorbe Swiss files exclusively now. They cost a crapton unfortunately, but the quality is night/day vs the 'diamond' type files that you usually find directed at the model hobby.

This is actually a great value set for anyone interested in really good quality files:

https://smile.amazon.com/Grobet-Nee...CYK95FTWCMQR9BM

Price per file of under $10 is stupid cheap for these files, as individually they run $20-$30 per file depending on exactly what shape/cut you are buying.

One of my favorite files is what is called a "Barett" file. It's a flat triangular shape with cutting teeth only on the long side so you can get into tight places and only remove material from the one face without worrying about the edges of the file cutting into something by accident.

Here is the image off of Amazon showing that pattern:

Here is a nice set of various files that's more expensive than the prior link, but you can select from three different 'coarseness' - note that #0 is the coarsest cut and #4 is the finest.

https://smile.amazon.com/Nicholson-...290&sr=8-5&th=1

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Slugworth posted:

A little jewelers pliers set like this is what I use for my metal earth kits:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SNBCC4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also cheat and use two part epoxy from Bob Smith (BSI) to stiffen up flimsy joints as well as lead shot mixed with epoxy to add weight in the feet of top-heavy models like the Star Wars AT-AT.

The Locator posted:

Another solution I've seen and used for seam lines is using stretched sprue and gluing it (welding it) with thin model cement. No shrinkage and the filler/model are the same hardness because they are made from the same material.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

I also cheat and use two part epoxy from Bob Smith (BSI) to stiffen up flimsy joints as well as lead shot mixed with epoxy to add weight in the feet of top-heavy models like the Star Wars AT-AT.

How nasty is BSI two part epoxy? I used a tiny bit of JB Weld 2-part 5 minute epoxy in the work room and it stunk up the entire house for like a week.