Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I voted to tell the foreigners to gently caress off, right off!
Now they won't buy my wares like they used to.
I just don't understand it.

Don't they know I told them to gently caress off?

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Can't he simply sell his glass eels in the markets newly opened thanks to our fabulous non-EU trade deal with *spins Liz Truss wheel o' trade* Côte d’Ivoire?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

"Countries are queuing up to do business with us" - I heard this SO many times from brexit-voting friends.

Is it actually true that he was only able to do business within the EU before brexit? We did business with non-EU countries on other items (including food)!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The thing that always baffles me is like...

If they were queueing up to do business with us... nothing was stopping them.

We were, in fact, allowed to trade with other countries, when we were in the EU.

We did.

A lot.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Listening to the video and trying to read between the lines I think he was hoping that all the environmental regulation around his business would be scrapped while he would be free to export anywhere.

Suffice to say it didn't work out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUcc1msZtNw

This second video has the MEP and leader of UKIP visit the eel guy. More info in this second one.

He has 350 fishermen working for him, and a loving office in FRANCE.

No doubt UKIP are ignoring his calls lol.
Scammed by the grifters.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I don't think anyone speaks truth anymore. Every last middle class entrepreneur twat upwards to the govt, they say what they think will curry favour and gain benefactors. It's not even lying, it's what other people, powerful people, want to hear. Wind changes? Here they are arguing the exact opposite, no conflict and no indication they just turned their coat inside out. Because it's not about what they say but who hears it and what benefits it brings them

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

"Countries are queuing up to do business with us" - I heard this SO many times from brexit-voting friends.

Is it actually true that he was only able to do business within the EU before brexit? We did business with non-EU countries on other items (including food)!

From the clip, it sounds like exporting to the near-Continent was the only practical thing to do because he was exporting live eels in loving styrofoam boxes.
I assume if he tried selling them further abroad, he'd either run into the paperwork issue he whines about in the clip, or issues around the eels not actually being alive when they're taken off whatever cargo plane they were on.

He's a twat, basically.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
given all this extra information I'm lolling even harder than I did originally at the people in the replies who were insisting this man deserved sympathy for being duped

https://twitter.com/alijmcc/status/1343901788630605824
https://twitter.com/mikeyb0012/status/1343903856917422088
https://twitter.com/BrudenellJack/status/1343926756386942978

:qq: this man who actively campaigned for something for years has now been brutally self owned by the economic disaster he helped bring about :qq:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Elvers have left the building.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Remainers: "Brexit could gently caress British businesses really hard. It has at least the potential to be an economic catastrophe."

Leavers: "Project Fear, innit? Brexiting would give us access to the whole world's markets!"

Spongebob Narrator: "Four years later."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

There are referenda where we gently caress around, and transition deadlines where we find out

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

"It's one Brexit Michael, what could it cost, ten jobs?"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

*In extremely Guardian voice* Did the problems from Brexit stem from the radical trans lobby? writes JK Burchill

Those who are blissfully uninformed about the state of trans "discourse" on Twitter and the tidal wave of hatred received by anyone who questions the trans orthodoxy might be surprised at this idea, but consider that it was a transition period. Had we instead opted for a cissition period, there is little question that leaving the EU would have been much less painful, and perhaps we may even have been able to stop Jeremy Corbyn from doing Brexit in the first place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The cisstition period was the one that happened before they left.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Dammit now I'm getting UKIP videos recommended to me on YT.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

happyhippy posted:

Dammit now I'm getting UKIP videos recommended to me on YT.

Delete the related videos from your history

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tarnop posted:

Delete the related videos from your history

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Elvers have left the building.

Heh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is also a good pun yes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I feel like "Elvers have poo poo themselves to death on the toilet" might be more apt

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

kingturnip posted:

From the clip, it sounds like exporting to the near-Continent was the only practical thing to do because he was exporting live eels in loving styrofoam boxes.
I assume if he tried selling them further abroad, he'd either run into the paperwork issue he whines about in the clip, or issues around the eels not actually being alive when they're taken off whatever cargo plane they were on.

He's a twat, basically.

European eels are an endangered species so he could only sell them as a breeder within the EU as the bloc doesn't allow them to be imported or exported from beyond the border. Once outside the bloc, he can't sell them anywhere except domestically (which nobody is doing) because the UK is a CITES signatory which prevents them being traded internationally.

You'd assume he knew all of this when voting to annihilate his own business, but :shrug:

kecske fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 30, 2020

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
That loving idiot's bitter tears have made my morning. It was always literally the one thing we had to look forward to from. Brexit, and there will be many more to come.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would feel better if the 2 million pound business that employs 10 people did not mean he is just going to sack them all and take the millions.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s the apocalyptic sunderland car plant closures i’m waiting for

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Matt Hancock posted:

He said they had also been advised that the government should prioritise having as many people as possible getting the first dose as possible which “will allow us to get protection to more people quickly”.

People will get their second dose after 12 weeks, he says, which will mean that over the first three months “we can get this jab into the arm of as many people who are vulnerable to this disease as possible”.

But all the testing was done based on 28 days later. Why are we going for the strategy Blair was talking about? Is there any data for 12 weeks between doses?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sad Panda posted:

But all the testing was done based on 28 days later.

I like to think that this means someone in the department of health sat down and watched the film.

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Sad Panda posted:

But all the testing was done based on 28 days later. Why are we going for the strategy Blair was talking about? Is there any data for 12 weeks between doses?

In the phase 3 trial not everyone got the second dose 28 days after, there were some people with longer gap.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Sad Panda posted:

Reports on the Oxford vaccine trials are saying that while it does take 2 doses to reach optimal immunity, there were no hospitalisations amongst people who only received one dose before being infected. I have no idea if this is a statistically significant group of people, but it seems like a rational approach to taking pressure off the NHS with limited vaccine resources if true.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Soylent Yellow posted:

Reports on the Oxford vaccine trials are saying that while it does take 2 doses to reach optimal immunity, there were no hospitalisations amongst people who only received one dose before being infected. I have no idea if this is a statistically significant group of people, but it seems like a rational approach to taking pressure off the NHS with limited vaccine resources if true.

Seems like this is the plan with the best possible chance of generating a vaccine-resistant strain of the virus to me.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Because this government is running a min/max strategy to optimally gently caress everything up, the end result will be that instead of us being inoculated against the virus, the virus will be inoculated against the vaccine.

^ :argh:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Seems like this is the plan with the best possible chance of generating a vaccine-resistant strain of the virus to me.

Doesnt the vaccine target the protein that makes it highly infective? As such a resistant version would by its nature less infective?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Doesnt the vaccine target the protein that makes it highly infective? As such a resistant version would by its nature less infective?

Not really, no, because if you target that tightly you get a resistant version almost immediately, and as long as that's circulating the chances of it mutating back to a highly virulent version with a version of the spike not covered by any of the vaccines goes up.

(To be honest I don't actually know anything like enough about viruses to say any of this with any kind of authority, but I really would like to hear exactly what people who do know think about this plan because it sounds dumb as hell to me)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not quite sure how one dose would make the virus resist the vaccine, given that the purpose of a vaccine is to stimulate an effective immune response to the virus, thus people who have the vaccine are going to be exposed to the virus either way, and if they are exposed to a variant that is not covered by the vaccine then that variant would increase in viability the more vaccinated people there are.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

XMNN posted:

:qq: this man who actively campaigned for something for years has now been brutally self owned by the economic disaster he helped bring about :qq:

Some of those that trade resources.

Getting hosed over by hubris.

Krilling in the name of

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 30, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I would feel better if the 2 million pound business that employs 10 people did not mean he is just going to sack them all and take the millions.

Who's going to buy this business that he just ruined?

To the vaccination stuff, a single dose is less efficacious, offering more potential for an escape mutation. What's even more worrying is the mAb COVID therapy produced by Lily - unlike Regeneron which is a 2 antibody cocktail, the Lily product is a single mAb which is stupid and dangerous. Hopefully the take-up of that product by physicians is low enough that it doesn't create much of an issue

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 30, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Who's going to buy this business that he just ruined?

I am going to wager that if he is turning over 2 million a year he is probably not hurting for cash.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I am going to wager that if he is turning over 2 million a year he is probably not hurting for cash.

Of course not, but that's not the same as "sacking the staff and taking the millions". It's "sacking the staff and then crying for a long time about my failed business regrets", which is funnier

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The Brexiteer now sleeps with the eels.

~Former employee

Re: Vaccine there was an interesting Kaplan-Meier plot of infections vs time from 1st vaccine dose and you could see the vaccine group flatline after about 2 weeks while the placebo groups keeps climbing. Hitting as many people as possible with one dose isn't a terrible idea for that specific product.

Having said that IANAV/IDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

If he can’t sell to his customers then he doesn’t have a 2 million pound business any more, he has a 0 pound business.

Sadly he probably has enough assets to cushion him from the worst consequences of his decision (while subjecting his soon-to-be-former employees and anyone else without a nest egg to the full force of them).