Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

highme posted:

Extruded bases lose wax faster than sintered, but in all honesty you won't notice much of a difference if you're only waxing 1 or 2 times during the actual cold part of the winter here. Once spring rolls around and things get slushy you'll definitely notice the difference and want to wax more often with temp specific wax.

Eejit posted:

I have a pair of skis that I haven't waxed in like 3 years and I'm still a faster rider than you so I don't think it's very important.

Real answer is that unless you're racing, once at the beginning of the season and once in the middle is plenty.

Thanks for these notes as well. And yeah, at this stage, I'm not as concerned about speed so much as just making sure I'm not messing up the board (or making it more difficult to use, I guess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I never cared much about wax until someone let me borrow some old HF before an XC race. Now I know why it's banned.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eejit posted:

I have a pair of skis that I haven't waxed in like 3 years and I'm still a faster rider than you so I don't think it's very important.

Real answer is that unless you're racing, once at the beginning of the season and once in the middle is plenty.
hard disagree, I am lazy and need the speed-conservation of well waxed sticks on traverses/cat roads/etc

(depending on how often I get to ski of course, if I’m skiing a lot I will wax more frequently)

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 30, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

hard disagree, I am lazy and need the speed-conservation of well waxed sticks on traverses/cat roads/etc

(depending on how often I get to ski of course, if I’m skiing a lot I will wax more frequently)

I am with you on this one. It depends on how often I use my stuff (too many choices...) but maybe like 5 resort days between waxing.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Has anyone here tried the DPS permanent wax? Or waxless treatment I guess. Reviews seem fine for average use and I can see the benefits, but I’ve been feeling stuck in my ways

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bawfuls posted:

Yeah, I can definitely feel the difference and I don't go particularly fast. 8-10 days between, I guess?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ought ten posted:

Has anyone here tried the DPS permanent wax? Or waxless treatment I guess. Reviews seem fine for average use and I can see the benefits, but I’ve been feeling stuck in my ways

The one person I know who has it seems to think it is fine. I would consider it but I also like waxing skis.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I will probably consider the DPS thing the next time I get new skis but it's harder to justify on something half way through it's lifespan already

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

bawfuls posted:

I will probably consider the DPS thing the next time I get new skis but it's harder to justify on something half way through it's lifespan already

I'd be way more amenable to it if I didn't beat the gently caress out of my skis. Like, the ratio of ptex to original base material on most of my skis is probably not what the manufacturer had in mind

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Eejit posted:

I agree with this point of view. While I can definitely feel a slight difference with wax, in most non-spring conditions I've never felt like I truly needed it that just lightly skating didn't do the trick well enough.

Of course, probably more important for a snowboard where you can't skate or poll yourself along as easily.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah wax is the difference between making it all the way out the traverse or not when you ride a snowboard. I wax every 3-5 days of use.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, I tend to wax every 5-7 days

My snowboard, too

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Sounds painful

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

ante posted:

Yeah, I tend to wax every 5-7 days

My snowboard, too

Haha nicely done.

Needing to wax your gear gives you an excuse to meet up with your buddies the night before, throw on a ski movie on redbulltv, and have some beers. I mean, that doesn't happen much anymore because we're old, but it would happen less without the excuse.

On a downer note, two snowbikers dead in an avalanche near Pemberton - same general region as the avalanche earlier in the thread. Happened on the same day - Monday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5857112

Edit: avalanche report, with pictures of the crown line and slope.
https://www.avalanche.ca/?panel=mountain-information-network-submissions/cdbf825c-bfba-45d0-83af-2271f8f5e510

stratdax fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 30, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ironlung posted:

Sounds painful

My thumbs do get sore from scraping at times.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ought ten posted:

I use it and it works great. It is expensive, but it was a time and effort decision compared to money. I had it applied when skis were brand new. The DPS isn't as quick/fast as a brand new fresh coat of wax though, but you can still apply some wax if desired.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

bawfuls posted:

That was part of my calculus this season too.

Good to know it’s decent. Next pair then.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Happy birthday Shane McConkey, you would be 51 today Rest In Powder

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

stratdax posted:

Haha nicely done.

Needing to wax your gear gives you an excuse to meet up with your buddies the night before, throw on a ski movie on redbulltv, and have some beers. I mean, that doesn't happen much anymore because we're old, but it would happen less without the excuse.

On a downer note, two snowbikers dead in an avalanche near Pemberton - same general region as the avalanche earlier in the thread. Happened on the same day - Monday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5857112

Edit: avalanche report, with pictures of the crown line and slope.
https://www.avalanche.ca/?panel=mountain-information-network-submissions/cdbf825c-bfba-45d0-83af-2271f8f5e510

Crazy how it the slab was so thin and the gully amplified it to a fatal burial. Also 50 cm burial depth is like a foot and a half, which was enough to kill.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Has anyone tried those snow bikes yet? I've been wondering how close they really feel to mountain biking.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Macnult posted:

Has anyone tried those snow bikes yet? I've been wondering how close they really feel to mountain biking.

Wasn't it a snow bike as in a motorized dirt bike with a track on the back? That story is all over my dirt bike channels I follow so that lead me to believe it was.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Has anyone here taken lessons as an advanced snowboarder? I feel like I've plateaued in my riding. I'm thinking of taking lessons but I'm not sure if they're worth the money for advanced riders. There isn't anything in particular that I struggle with but I'd like to have someone look at my form with a magnifying glass and let me know if I have any bad habits.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Partial Octopus posted:

Has anyone here taken lessons as an advanced snowboarder? I feel like I've plateaued in my riding. I'm thinking of taking lessons but I'm not sure if they're worth the money for advanced riders. There isn't anything in particular that I struggle with but I'd like to have someone look at my form with a magnifying glass and let me know if I have any bad habits.

Yeah, you just gotta specifically request a private lesson with an instructor that's at least Level 2 certified. They should have exercises wired into their brain by then to push you past your comfort zone. Getting a video recording of yourself riding is also helpful with seeing what your body posture is like.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Verman posted:

Wasn't it a snow bike as in a motorized dirt bike with a track on the back? That story is all over my dirt bike channels I follow so that lead me to believe it was.

I’m pretty sure you’re right. I was reading through it and it made me think of these Sno Go Bikes I saw recently

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Apparently Bluebird Backcountry opens tomorrow.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

Crazy how it the slab was so thin and the gully amplified it to a fatal burial. Also 50 cm burial depth is like a foot and a half, which was enough to kill.

A guy died in the Ajax Sidecountry in 2015, he was buried 25cm / 9" deep

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Dangerllama posted:

Apparently Bluebird Backcountry opens tomorrow.

I am really tempted to give it a try, just to see what they're doing. Also would be a good halfway meet up with my sister so double incentive.

ironlung posted:

A guy died in the Ajax Sidecountry in 2015, he was buried 25cm / 9" deep

Also a good reminder to have a partner who can rescue you.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

I am really tempted to give it a try, just to see what they're doing. Also would be a good halfway meet up with my sister so double incentive.

Also a good reminder to have a partner who can rescue you.

I have offered to meet up with some folks who want to try back country there. seems decent since you can get rentals and all that. Not sure I want to pay $50 to go though.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

spwrozek posted:

I have offered to meet up with some folks who want to try back country there. seems decent since you can get rentals and all that. Not sure I want to pay $50 to go though.

I would love to meet up with some people for back country stuff. I have all my gear, I just need to take an avy course first.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’d probably go $50 for curiosity + the ability to ski something over 35° that had been blasted but was otherwise soft.

If it’s $50 for “Hidden Valley and an arctic hut” I’d pass.

That said I have also become a disgusting blob over the last nine months. What’s the thread consensus on puking in the skin track?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

I’d probably go $50 for curiosity + the ability to ski something over 35° that had been blasted but was otherwise soft.

That said I have also become a disgusting blob over the last nine months. What’s the thread consensus on puking in the skin track?

The only issue I think is that most of the steep stuff is in their guided terrain. I am not sure how it all works though. from the looks of it most of the "open" terrain is pretty mellow. I will look a little closer though.

Puke away amigo.

Partial Octopus posted:

I would love to meet up with some people for back country stuff. I have all my gear, I just need to take an avy course first.

We are out all the time and generally don't mind taking someone out who hasn't taken a class.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Partial Octopus posted:

Don't wait on an avy course if you're traveling with experienced backcountry users. A lot of the craft is learned through experience and nothing builds stoke like getting out there. You can very safely enjoy the bc is your group agrees to select mellow terrain. Then someone with more knowledge can help with safe navigation. I would also recommend reading Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain by Tremper, which is a pretty comprehensive work.

Also if you're ever near Aspen hit me up.

Dangerllama posted:

Puke next to it, not on it please. And maybe cover it with snow. However among certain ski mo types you'll probably actually get cred for puking

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Good lessons here. Another good video from Nikolai Schirmer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNUWk33E3aE

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I got out for the first time on my new touring setup today with a buddy. Real nice, had a few hiccups with the brake lock (first forgetting how to actually lock them, and then forgetting to unlock them on the first descent...)

Here’s a doggo https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dkj3xdBZRTMwHwDS9

https://strava.app.link/UtCxqMmKEcb

Monday was a good resort day, just a dusting of fresh snow but enough to be real fun still, and more terrain opening.

Yesterday also at the resort, playing ski instructor for my wife who is transitioning from snowboarding back to skiing. Went really well, to the point where she’s now asking for her own bc setup sooner than we’d sorta planned because she felt more comfortable than expected and left out of my outing today. (Don’t worry I’m not intending to get into actually teaching my wife to ski, I’ve got a lot of experience skiing but none teaching and I know that; this was more along the lines of she wanted to take the skis out, not by herself, and I came along and wasn’t going to give her zero advice)

Oh and then I swung by Squaw after today’s outing to pick up the free (!) season passes for my two three year olds. Gonna take them to the hill Friday.

In short, I’m stoked on skiing big time. And it’s gonna snow a bunch next week maybe...?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

I got out for the first time on my new touring setup today with a buddy. Real nice, had a few hiccups with the brake lock (first forgetting how to actually lock them, and then forgetting to unlock them on the first descent...)

Here’s a doggo https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dkj3xdBZRTMwHwDS9

https://strava.app.link/UtCxqMmKEcb

Monday was a good resort day, just a dusting of fresh snow but enough to be real fun still, and more terrain opening.

Yesterday also at the resort, playing ski instructor for my wife who is transitioning from snowboarding back to skiing. Went really well, to the point where she’s now asking for her own bc setup sooner than we’d sorta planned because she felt more comfortable than expected and left out of my outing today. (Don’t worry I’m not intending to get into actually teaching my wife to ski, I’ve got a lot of experience skiing but none teaching and I know that; this was more along the lines of she wanted to take the skis out, not by herself, and I came along and wasn’t going to give her zero advice)

Oh and then I swung by Squaw after today’s outing to pick up the free (!) season passes for my two three year olds. Gonna take them to the hill Friday.

In short, I’m stoked on skiing big time. And it’s gonna snow a bunch next week maybe...?

This is all awesome.

It looks like tahoe might be getting some big time snow. Hopefully some floats over this way.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Eejit posted:

Don't wait on an avy course if you're traveling with experienced backcountry users. A lot of the craft is learned through experience and nothing builds stoke like getting out there. You can very safely enjoy the bc is your group agrees to select mellow terrain. Then someone with more knowledge can help with safe navigation. I would also recommend reading Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain by Tremper, which is a pretty comprehensive work.

Also if you're ever near Aspen hit me up.

Puke next to it, not on it please. And maybe cover it with snow. However among certain ski mo types you'll probably actually get cred for puking

Thanks for the info. I just ordered it.

spwrozek posted:

The only issue I think is that most of the steep stuff is in their guided terrain. I am not sure how it all works though. from the looks of it most of the "open" terrain is pretty mellow. I will look a little closer though.

Puke away amigo.

We are out all the time and generally don't mind taking someone out who hasn't taken a class.

I'm free pretty much any weekend and can take off work on weekdays fairly frequently. I'll shoot you a PM with my info. Thanks!

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Needed new bindings so I just ordered the Karakoram Free Rangers. Excited about the quiver system and pulling my Sick Stick out of storage, and might even get the splitboard connect kit if I like them enough. They’re lighter than the Arc pro’s I was looking at by a smidge, so can’t see a reason they wouldn’t make decent touring bindings.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Has anyone here ridden a Moss? Are they fun?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Only on Loveland Pass...

But my dog was enjoying the views. Excellent snow this morning but man was it cold.

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm free pretty much any weekend and can take off work on weekdays fairly frequently. I'll shoot you a PM with my info. Thanks!

Cool I will send you my info in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Uhhh is that a yurt?