Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Whoever colored it hosed it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There's nothing at all wrong with AV|P:R's cinematography, though. If you mean the bad mastering on the DVDs, it's pretty easy to adjust it to the correct look by using shots from the original trailer:

As you can see, the lighting isn't any different from what you'd see in Aliens.

From what I recall, much of the blacks in AVP:R are crushed to hell and there's no detail left in them to pull out even if you did try and adjust the picture settings.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, I have yet to find a copy of AvPR that I can pull any brightness out if, which is a shame. Other issue with the movie is that they frame the alien puppet heads a little too far out so they wobble a bit and are too obviously puppet heads, which is distracting. A lot of the shots in general need to be just a little bit closer and some shots are held for too long as well. Its kind of weird, but the combo of everything makes the whole movie feel a little cheaper.

Still a billion times better than AvP.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sigher posted:

From what I recall, much of the blacks in AVP:R are crushed to hell and there's no detail left in them to pull out even if you did try and adjust the picture settings.

Yeah, it’s obviously not ideal - but also not the cinematography.

Also, I take back what I said about Leviathan; it’s much weaker than I remembered. I forgot just how badly edited it gets when the action starts up, and the score sucks. It’s ridiculous that they got Ron Cobb, Jerry Goldsmith, Stan Winston, etc., and this is the end result. Inseminoid wins the day.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is there any merit at all in Forbidden World, or is it only memorable for the gratuitous nudity?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there any merit at all in Forbidden World, or is it only memorable for the gratuitous nudity?

Is that the one with the worm rape or is it Galaxy of Terror? I’ve seen the worm rape one - some fun actors in it and gets weird at the end, but far from high art.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

I’m still working on a comprehensive list, but Forbidden World is absolutely one of the top Alien rip-offs.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Halloween Jack posted:

Why'd you ask the same question twice?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Someone sell me on forbidden world, a movie i turned off once the nudity ended.

ALSO, heavily into prometheus after repeat viewing. I think it's conspicuous the film opens with David enjoying movies, doing the alien 4 basketball shot, and then introducing twin ripleys, one who is a samus aran lookalike fake who wakes up doing push ups, and the other "real" ripley who wakes up by vomiting. Later one of them dies, and the other survives by hiding under a rock. The meek inherit the earth.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I saw AVPR in cinemas and either I'm going mad or someone hosed up big time with the dvd releases because I don't remember it being this loving dark.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SirDrone posted:

I saw AVPR in cinemas and either I'm going mad or someone hosed up big time with the dvd releases because I don't remember it being this loving dark.

The Blu-ray release is pretty drat dark.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FunkyAl posted:

Someone sell me on forbidden world, a movie i turned off once the nudity ended.

It's a movie with an egg-cartons-glued-to-the-walls budget where everyone is knocking it out of the park. The editing is experimental, the cinematography's stylish but not distracting, the screenplay is witty, the score rules, and it's genuinely disgusting throughout (thanks in part to the inappropriate horniness). The vibe is like "what if Alien: Resurrection was made in the early '80s without a budget or any Joss Whedon."

In terms of being better than it ever needed to be, Forbidden World's up there with Dead In the Water - a fuckin' SYFY Original Movie that surpasses nearly everything else in the genre.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Forbidden World is great. It's one of those movies that has absolutely zero shame about what it is and like SMG said you can't help but be impressed by what they got on-screen with the resources they had.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's also just way meatier than other stuff in the genre. The typical Alien ripoff is like The Intruder Within, where it's really this default love story on an oil rig where the monster is little more than an obstacle to the protagonists' healthy relationship. (It's kinda crazy how many of these take place on oil rigs.)

In Forbidden World, as a contrast, everyone's loving everyone else - and it's a real psychosexual horror-show well before you factor in the appearance of the slime creatures.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
i get the feeling that at least some of those movies were made because someone had an oil rig and decided it would be a cool setting for a movie

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
When I was a kid my dad would sing (to the tune of the the jared subway pedo jingle) "Here comes the carbo kid, he'll grow as big as an oil rig" whenever I ate pasta. Now I am dragged around by a modified Lockmart CM-88B Bison M-Class commercial towing vehicle.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Wait a loving minute, if that thing the Nostromo is hauling is a refinery, why are they bringing it BACK to Earth? Couldn't you just leave it somewhere and let it refine and then just haul the refined poo poo faster and cheaper?

Something about this company doesn't add up!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Maybe wherever it was got stripped of all its ore or whatever and it's time to bring it back and send it somewhere else.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

General Battuta posted:

Wait a loving minute, if that thing the Nostromo is hauling is a refinery, why are they bringing it BACK to Earth? Couldn't you just leave it somewhere and let it refine and then just haul the refined poo poo faster and cheaper?

There's an adventure for the ALIEN RPG, "Chariot of the Gods" that has the players hauling a bunch of tritium gas as cargo that refines into Helium-3, so maybe they just call it a refinery even though it's just series of glorified storage tanks.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

Maybe wherever it was got stripped of all its ore or whatever and it's time to bring it back and send it somewhere else.

This checks out, thanks MUTHUR, I feel better. Now let's talk about the bonus situation.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

i get the feeling that at least some of those movies were made because someone had an oil rig and decided it would be a cool setting for a movie

That’s evidently the story behind extremely banal movie The Rig, where they shot on a decommissioned oil rig / museum.

The Intruder Within was shot on an actual rig in Lake Erie, but that one was operational so maybe they had to negotiate for it.

For a lot of them, though, they just liked the idea of digging up goo. Sector 7 uses an assload of digital backdrops, and Nightworld: Survivor filmed in a water treatment facility.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

General Battuta posted:

It's space, so hauling it probably costs next too nothing once you've started moving; no need to waste time waiting for things to get refined when you can load the whole thing up and let it do it's thing for months on end while it's being towed back. I wouldn't doubt if there were more refineries being loaded up while the Nostromo was on it's way back to Earth.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s evidently the story behind extremely banal movie The Rig, where they shot on a decommissioned oil rig / museum.

The Intruder Within was shot on an actual rig in Lake Erie, but that one was operational so maybe they had to negotiate for it.

For a lot of them, though, they just liked the idea of digging up goo. Sector 7 uses an assload of digital backdrops, and Nightworld: Survivor filmed in a water treatment facility.

oil is basically necromancy in the first place so it's not surprising people would be drawn to the black goo imagery in a really obvious context

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRT5JyN6jSw

I recently listened to Rossum's Universal Robots, a Czech play that gave us the word "robot," and even though the play was released in 1920, it's amazing how little subsequent stories have added to the idea of robots and synthetics humans. Asimov and his laws would be the only big change.

Let's see, in R.U.R. you've got:

-Robot factory on a creepy isolated island, run by thousands of robots and a skeleton crew of humans who act so weird they might as well be robots.

-Robots being constructed through creepy means "vats for liver and brain creation" "Looms for skin", "spindles for nerves and veins."

-Condescending do-gooder humans trying to free the robots who eventually get hoisted by their own petard.

-Back story that has the creator of the robots being explicitly about replacing God, then the creator's nephew takes over to just make money.

-Museum of horrifying early attempts at creating life.

-Callous disregard for robots by giving them the ability to feel pain but not joy.

-Obvious signs of robots becoming aware of their circumstances and then being "recycled" in a horrifying way.

-Robot contempt for humanity.

-Robot revolt and extermination of the human race.

-Robots learn to love and inherit the Earth.

Seriously, everything from Metropolis, to Blade Runner, the Alien franchise, to the Matrix, to Ex Machina seems to have jsut been variations on the themes that come from this play.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For those who want to get in the festive spirit, remember that ‘Prometheus’ is a Christmas movie. :v:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Xenomrph posted:

For those who want to get in the festive spirit, remember that ‘Prometheus’ is a Christmas movie. :v:

and man will live forever more
because God hosed around with xenomorphs

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Literally rewatched it today and was extremely pleasantly surprised to see that.

Great movie with some really good horror bits. Shoutout to the ship Prometheus, it looked incredible even now 8 years later.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

every time I watch Prometheus I like it more. death to canon!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The Christ-child is born from a virgin 'mother' at the end so it's pretty Christmasy!

I'm assuming all Engineers are virgins because they don't have any women.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Incelinoid

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

General Battuta posted:

The Christ-child is born from a virgin 'mother' at the end so it's pretty Christmasy!

If you can think of a better way to create life than painfully dying as a medium for some mysterious black goo I'd like to hear it!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

General Battuta posted:

It also literally takes place during Christmas.

And a bunch of characters get what they want for Christmas!
Vickers reconciles with her father!
David gets to become a real boy!
Shaw gets to have a baby!
Milburn makes a new friend! (Twice! :v:)
Weyland gets to meet God! (Twice! :v:)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
Fifield gets to be a man-beast
Holloway gets to give it all
The Engineer gets to create a new form of life AND test the worth of humanity
Janek gets to find out if Vickers is a robot

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

sigher posted:

It's space, so hauling it probably costs next too nothing once you've started moving; no need to waste time waiting for things to get refined when you can load the whole thing up and let it do it's thing for months on end while it's being towed back.
I can't recall if it was the novelization or somewhere else but it was stated in the related materials that this was the case. The refinery process took a fairly long time so they shipped the whole thing to have the refined product available for use by the time the ship arrived at its destination.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Elizabeth Shaw is Biblical Elizabeth, not Mary. Bible Elizabeth was barren and was blessed by the angels to have Prophet John the Baptist, who was a herald to Jesus.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Darko posted:

Elizabeth Shaw is Biblical Elizabeth, not Mary. Bible Elizabeth was barren and was blessed by the angels to have Prophet John the Baptist, who was a herald to Jesus.

Holy poo poo, I live this movie

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If anyone is curious about it, Alien Isolation is discounted on steam at the moment. It’s (so far) very accurate to the original film. Lots of steamy rooms, chunky buttons and buzzy CRT screens. I’ve only seen the titular alien once or twice in a couple hours - even has the slow burn pacing.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Darko posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

Edit; In relation to the film.

Loveshaft fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 30, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

well why not posted:

If anyone is curious about it, Alien Isolation is discounted on steam at the moment. It’s (so far) very accurate to the original film. Lots of steamy rooms, chunky buttons and buzzy CRT screens. I’ve only seen the titular alien once or twice in a couple hours - even has the slow burn pacing.

It's an incredible piece of atmosphere but I found it SO stressful I just couldn't keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

General Battuta posted:

It's an incredible piece of atmosphere but I found it SO stressful I just couldn't keep going.
Same here. After playing it for a few days, I had an honest-to-god, wake-up-yelling nightmare about being chased through dark tunnels, which made me think "okay, maybe I should take a break for a while." It's the most intense game I've ever played.