Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In order to make my toxx I decided to watch Starlight during my commutes, so I watched episode 3 today.

Firstly, Maya bores and confuses me. I bet I wouldn't be interested in her when I started watching, and my prediction has so far proved true. Underdog (at least compared to Maya, Claudine is still higher tier in general I assume) Claudine is far more interesting as a character. I couldn't make heads or tails out of Maya's chitchat during her fight with Karen. Typical dramatic and pretentious theater kid*.

I thought one loss = knockout and that Junna got to have a rematch against Karen because technically she was supposed to fight Hikari when Karen butted in, but I guess it isn't???? Since Claudine also got a chance to fight? Is it round robin? Is there a loser's bracket??? Not really knowing how the tournament works makes me a lot less prone to care about it, cause it's clearly a big part but very little is explained and there are only like 12 episodes so what the gently caress? There's a mystery but the tease of the mystery isn't very teasing, it's more boring taunting.

*Zep does not know what a theater kid is.

The show has a lot of good funny and cute scenes that are the highlight of the show for me so far since the mechanics of the Theater Idol Tournament is still confusing. Kaoruko is probably my favorite character so far, though I'm liking Claudine and Mahiru too. Especially since Mahiru gets owned a lot. Banana cute, too. I keep thinking she's evil cause I think she's supposed to be the final boss or something???

I love that Hikari had a lot of presence throughout the episode but didn't say a single word till like 15 minutes in. Good poo poo. Good comedic moments. Like Mahiru's hair reacting to Junna x Karen and Banana reacting to Mahiru's hair.

Or how everyone has encouraging words but Claudine's is just about Maya???

Or the Hikari scenes. God bless Hikari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Maya vs Karen fight was neat in that Maya's constantly singing about how Karen can't reach her and her Reality Marble literally pivots her to the top of a stairway that's constantly shifting to prevent Karen from coming up. Plus you have the innate advantage when fighting from the top (see: Anakin vs Obi-won Kenobi), which makes it even tougher on Karen.

Maya herself is still boring though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The big winner here was the Claudine x Futaba ship, a ship that I did not know existed until like an hour ago. Forget Futaba x Kaoruko or Maya x Claudine, it's all about Claudine x Futaba now. I ship these two hard.

If you ship Futaba x Kaoruko, you can still be my friend, but if you ship Maya x Claudine, you're dead to me. Punk. Fucker.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mimorin will slap the lead of any idol anime she plays a part in, this is law now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Episode 4 down and it was a very good episode!

Hikari continues her tradition of not talking for like the first half of her screentime, and her indignant selfies to Karen throughout the episode to goad Karen into seeking her out was super funny. I could feel the frustration as she went from aquarium to aquarium as Karen was constantly one aquarium behind. poo poo was mad fun, yo. I also thought Hikari was just straight up leaving, but no, I guess she just carries that travel bag with her around everywhere? Anyways, Hikari is cute, and not as smart as she thinks she is! God bless Hikari.

Maya is a bit more interesting but still the least interesting character on the show.

Mahiru was SUPER powerful and SUPER thirsty this episode, this girl is unstoppable, I think. Her figuring out what Kaoruko was planning to do and intimidating both her and Futaba with sheer thirst for Karen was hilarious, especially since Kaoruko was easily messing with her the previous episode.

Episode is shipping Futaba x Kaoruko and Maya x Claudine again and I'm not happy about it. At least Futaba x Kaoruko is actually pretty interesting, especially given their respective scenes with Claudine and Mahiru in the previous episode, and I'm interested in seeing where the duo dynamic goes in future episodes.

Junna is cute and I dig her relationship with Karen more than I do with Karen x Hikari. Though the scenes of Karen and Hikari finally catching up with one another (both metaphorically and literally as Karen finally finds Hikari) rekindling their friendship was very heartwarming.

I didn't think I'd like Banana so much but I love her tons. Bananice indeed. Also I just loving realized as I was typing this that her hair is meant to be a bushel of bananas or whatever a cluster of bananas is called.

Wow, no theater fights and minimum blathering context-less talk about the underground theater idol tournament and the episode is the best I've seen so far. Who'd have thought????

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Episode 5 down.

Mahiru cute.

Mahiru strong.

Mahiru good.

Mahiru love.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Next episode down and it's another very good episode.

Kaoruko so used to being talented and getting things her way that she got spoiled and stagnated, while everyone else put in the work, so she gets owned 24/7 and it's very funny and pathetic.

I'm a big sucker for moments like Futaba's big emotional heartful speech/rant towards Kaoruko for just resting on her laurels and forgetting the promise she made, especially after Futaba dedicated so much of herself so she could be close to Kaoruko for Kaoruko's sake. The way Futaba cleaving through the walls/wood being reminiscent of sliding doors opening in Japanese media was neat.

I still want my Futaba x Claudine but Futaba x Kaoruko is good too.

Still against Maya x Claudine.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Mahiru powered up so much she big sisters Hikari and it's hilarious.

I love Hikari's perpetually grumbly face.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
drat Banana tall.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH poo poo JUST GOT REAL HUH.

Guess Starlight Revue is the Madoka Magica of idol anime.

Fuckin' time loop shenanigans.

Anyways Banana is top-tier.

No vocals for the ED.

Banana constantly trying to get close to Hikari is now explained.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
so how are the korean subs

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They don't add honorifics like Kaoruko's Futaba-han and I'm sad.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
good, honorifics are the devil

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We can't be friends anymore.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo this really is the Stage Idol Madoka,* complete with Giraffe Kyubey sucking out the happiness of all Stage Idols.

(*Zep has never watched an episode of Madoka in his life.)

Man that's some hosed up poo poo, trick girls into fighting for the top and then steal away all their motivations to live when they lose.

The Brit girl that beat Hikari and won the whole thing ended up getting good, but wasn't she already the lead? So wasn't she already good at the theater stuff? Her portrait was in the center of the casting thing! Did she just wish for stat buffs? Also the Brit girl's stage probably got ruined by Hikari going off script at the end there, so did the Giraffe fuckin' scam her by giving her a less-than-perfect stage play or something? Wouldn't put it past the punk.

Ikemen Nana is so powerful.

Also, come to think of it, Nana's wish results in a time loop. Does that mean the entire world goes back in time, or is Nana just sent to a parallel universe where she gets to start from the beginning? Is the original world bereft of a Nana, with all the other girls quitting school? Or does everyone go back with Nana? If so, how does that work with top stars who wish to perform in the future? This time thing is so wonky!

Anyways, if Nana reset everything with her wish, does that mean the other girls never really had time to get demotivated, because their loss also got reset with Nana's wish? Cause if so, that would lend credence to Nana's belief that she was protecting everyone from loss and change and parting.

Also we finally learn why Hikari is the way she is. gently caress you giraffe. You did this to her.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
2 more episodes of Starlight down during lunch but I posted all my thoughts in Discord already so I'll just say.

Banana good. I love Banana.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress you astro.

Much thanks to my friend, the parsley.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
oh hey, I'd missed all of zep's revueposting

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some are in a Discord server that no one here has access to.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anymore

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Did you kick me from the Bleach Discord.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
And deny Cant the chance to press the button?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress y'all!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
if i had a good idea what to rename the server to, i couldve immediately said yes, but alas

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Strange Quark posted:

And deny Cant the chance to press the button?

This statement implies that you would deny me the chance to press the button, and I don't like it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You don’t even have the power to press the button

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

i'm holding out hope, ok

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
why is there no zombie land saga idol game

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
oh drat, squark has a good new av

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I refuse to allow any more mods until we finally get Korean representation among mods.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I refuse to allow any more mods until we finally get Korean representation among mods.

But you complained about me promoting stop?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Willo567 posted:

why is there no zombie land saga idol game

Mostly lack of songs, probably.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH poo poo JUST GOT REAL HUH.

Guess Starlight Revue is the Madoka Magica of idol anime.

Fuckin' time loop shenanigans.

Anyways Banana is top-tier.

No vocals for the ED.

Banana constantly trying to get close to Hikari is now explained.

I checked this thread today, saw your first post, and just began scrolling with an amused grin waiting for this episode, thank you for delivering

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh right I always meant to sum up my thoughts on Starlight.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Polsy posted:

Mostly lack of songs, probably.

at least we'll have the upcoming idolmaster cinderella girls collab with zls to look forward to

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I too just watched Revue Starlight like a week ago and fell deep into the hole of downloading the stage plays and having all the songs on loop and playing the gacha (rip, at least it's unfun so I'll have no desire to stay with it after I clear the story), show rules

I was kind of bored by Maya in the anime too but in the live performances she's so much better. For some reason the anime decided that the actor with the most expressive face in the entire cast should be just constantly doing muted, neutral expressions. Crazy eyes Maya is incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmDabLVIUWk

No spoilers for where you are in that video, it's just the live version of the ep 3 song. Might be spoilers in the comments though idk

Banana is indeed top tier, I love the contrast between her soft everyday voice and powerful voice when she sings or when she's given an emotional scene

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

The only reason I’m still playing Revue right now is because of the Love Live Sunshine crossover. I fully expect to drop it again after the event ends as I hate the event grind and have no interest in pulling for PVP meta reasons. Just gonna let my account sit there and accumulate Stars from eventual logins when I get a birthday push message prompt or something like that. At least I pulled School Idol Nana real quick, I wish I could say the same about Junna.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I was thinking about quitting but this and Maya and Claudine becoming Symphogear users is keeping me playing

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Maho Tomita (Maya's VA) has an extensive stage background, but is also a massive goof.

Maho/AiAi first impression of each other - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNURwg0BCVg

Maho/AiAi serious battle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlP7gY7sMyk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finished watching episode 1 of UmaMusume Pretty Derby!

Gonna admit the series doesn't really make a high impression in the beginning when like half the jokes in the first episode are all molestation jokes and then there's actually molestation happening! Twice, even!

The rest of the humor is at least my style, especially the last bits of the episode with the consecutive stream of "Eh?????" from Special Week.

The 3 songs I've heard (OP, ED, Silence Suzuka's bit) don't really do much for me at the moment, but who knows, that might change the more I watch the anime.

Gold Ship is good.