Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this is how they lived/worked for 5 years. i feel like its impossible for them to not have picked up on what the guy was posting in that whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's also why I have a very hard time believing that his apology and pledge to do better (when some of the offending posts that were leaked were literally weeks old) was genuine or that his brother and other members of the team weren't aware of what Gauss was doing and share or at least tolerate his views, when you've just been coldly and calculatedly making bold-faced lies to the entire world for half a decade you don't really deserve that benefit of the doubt anymore. Some of the leaked Badgame posts from after Gauss jumped on the grenade for the team were other posters being baffled that he had been the one to get cancelled, but considering that none of these supposed incriminating posts from Hugh and Karl ever surfaced it could have just been them bullshitting to try and shift the blame or punish the rest of the team over what they felt like was a betrayal.

e. Also keep in mind that while all this was happening Gauss is a man in his 40s who is married and has two kids.

No no, his deeply held social and political views making a complete reversal only upon being exposed to public light makes total sense and isn't in bad faith at all!! It was all just a big misunderstanding you see and some of his best friends are trans and

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I really loved RE2: remake. I played the original RE3 and finished it this year, I wasn't a huge fan. Should I get RE3: remake or wait for it to drop in price even more?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Black Griffon posted:

I mean there's a whole market for Empire/Sith/New Order merch, merch for every faction in 40k, probably Dominion merch if you're a fan of the gamma quadrant, idk. Combined with a fashy dude it's certainly something, but it's not that weird in and of itself.

I agree that it's not quite a red flag but, uh, I have bad news about Empire/Imperium of Man/Zeon-type fans

Orv
May 4, 2011

mycot posted:

I agree that it's not quite a red flag but, uh, I have bad news about Empire/Imperium of Man/Zeon-type fans

:yikes:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

chglcu posted:

No idea if this is something that’s been fixed since, but back around the time the Tower of Time came out, I was really enjoying it, but then my save got stuck in the slow mode, even outside battles. Had no other saves to go back to so ended up dropping it rather than replaying the previous hours. So I’d suggest maybe rotating multiple save files with that game if you do end up playing it.

Oh poo poo, thanks for the heads up.

It was on for a good sale so I bought it

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Played a bit of Youropa tonight - while it started out good, it became more and more frustrating with half-baked platforming and finicky controls in contrast with the more puzzle-like nature of the first parts of the game. Don't recommend.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ymgve posted:

Played a bit of Youropa tonight - while it started out good, it became more and more frustrating with half-baked platforming and finicky controls in contrast with the more puzzle-like nature of the first parts of the game. Don't recommend.

It's a really nice idea but the execution is just not great.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Awesome! posted:

this is how they lived/worked for 5 years. i feel like its impossible for them to not have picked up on what the guy was posting in that whole time.

do you not have any personal privacy in your home or

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Black Griffon posted:

I mean there's a whole market for Empire/Sith/New Order merch, merch for every faction in 40k, probably Dominion merch if you're a fan of the gamma quadrant, idk. Combined with a fashy dude it's certainly something, but it's not that weird in and of itself.

mycot posted:

A certain type already unironically use "God Emperor" to refer to someone right now

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've lived with my wife for ten years and have kept my SomethingAwful posting a secret from her this entire time.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've lived with my wife for ten years and have kept my SomethingAwful posting a secret from her this entire time.

Mostly same, but I occasionally get caught cackling at a Photoshop of, like, a dog with an eyepatch or something and she insists on seeing what I’m looking at and then no amount of explaining can ever suffice

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've lived with my wife for ten years
What's his name?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Any opinion on Halo nowadays? I've never played it as I've never had an Xbox in my household, but I was a bit curious as to experience this landmark game and wondering if doing a coop campaign through the series could be fun. However, part of me is thinking that might be a bad idea as 1) it's probably very outdated and far from the new intense action I crave from games like Dusk or Doom Eternal 2) I mostly just play for the spectacle and combat and try to avoid long cutscene games, so I don't know if the lore and story is gonna have any impression on me and 3) maybe Halo was known for its PvP multiplayer instead, which I'm not interested in, so perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place and I should just get Deep Rock Galactic or something instead for coop fun.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

What's his name?

Mom.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mordja posted:

What's his name?

Mrs. Squart.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

redreader posted:

I really loved RE2: remake. I played the original RE3 and finished it this year, I wasn't a huge fan. Should I get RE3: remake or wait for it to drop in price even more?

I'm playing it right now. I got a console version for $15 on BF. $15 is the right price, no more. I've never played the original but I understand it felt like a real step down from RE2, and this feels like a real step down from RE2R. The core gameplay is fine, but the "gimmick" just doesn't work for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FutureCop posted:

Any opinion on Halo nowadays? I've never played it as I've never had an Xbox in my household, but I was a bit curious as to experience this landmark game and wondering if doing a coop campaign through the series could be fun. However, part of me is thinking that might be a bad idea as 1) it's probably very outdated and far from the new intense action I crave from games like Dusk or Doom Eternal 2) I mostly just play for the spectacle and combat and try to avoid long cutscene games, so I don't know if the lore and story is gonna have any impression on me and 3) maybe Halo was known for its PvP multiplayer instead, which I'm not interested in, so perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place and I should just get Deep Rock Galactic or something instead for coop fun.

Halo is a landmark series for a variety of reasons, despite what the Steam thread will tell you but from what you're saying I'd honestly just skip it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

FutureCop posted:

Reach's campaign is still good for its unique atmosphere; all of the other campaigns have been done better by newer games.

Reach is a prequel and the only "lore" you need to know is that Reach was a colony that got mentioned in the other Halos as "that planet that the evil alien Covenant hosed up before Halo 1 took place."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ymgve posted:

i played through it yesterday and it was ok but very disorienting in a motion-sickness way. the camera falls behind too easily

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Orv posted:

Halo is a landmark series for a variety of reasons, despite what the Steam thread will tell you but from what you're saying I'd honestly just skip it.

Agreeing with Orv here, Halo is a landmark but it doesn't sound like the game for you

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

mycot posted:

quote:

"Why do I still live? What more do you want from me? I gave everything I had to you, to them. Look what they've made of our dream. This bloated, rotting carcass of an empire is driven not by reason and hope but by fear, hate and ignorance. Better that we had all burned in the fires of Horus' ambition than live to see this."

—Roboute Guilliman, primarch of the Ultramarines, reflecting upon the state of the Imperium of the late 41st Millennium and his devotion to the Emperor of Mankind

I don't think it's done with the intent to correct people, but even characters in 40K look at the Imperium of Man and go, "drat, things are really hosed up."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I don't think it's done with the intent to correct people, but even characters in 40K look at the Imperium of Man and go, "drat, things are really hosed up."

The last decade has seen a shift as more of the lore focused on how terrible and unrelenting it is, literally nothing good, and started to stray further and further away from the "ironic" glorious fascism vibe of the 80s and 90s.

The fanbase still skews pretty fash, one of the biggest w40k youtubers was recently called out for being a chud and a lot of the fanbase was pretty meh about it, but GW had no problem issuing an extremely direct statement denouncing bigotry and telling fans to go gently caress themselves if they don't like it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was gifted noita. About an hour after installing I accidentally discovered that the "bouncy projectile" and "homing projectile" perks together turn chainsaws into some sort of horrifying Chainsaw Molecules that fill the air and indiscriminately dice apart all living matter in sight regardless of distance.

https://i.imgur.com/H1NbSxO.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/CQlovut.mp4

so uh I accidentally won the game on my fourth run.

the downside of this is that the Chainsaw Molecules also set off every explosive object in the zip code and create so much smoke that it's easy to accidentally suffocate, but that seems like a fair tradeoff

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Thanks for the Halo feedback! Just to clarify though, since maybe I was being unfair to compare it to modern games and didn't give enough details, so I've made an example: I've gone through and played Half-Life 1 (not Black Mesa, just classic) recently and had a lot of fun as, despite it being very old and rather simple compared to the more complex games nowadays, it has a good flow to it with very few stops, along with cool and varied level design, so it held up for me very well. However, when I tried to play Half-Life 2 recently, it was a bit different: the game did have plenty of cool and neat moments, sure, but something about it felt a bit more bland or a bit more tedious, I dunno, maybe it's the subtle gamefeel or maybe it's levels were a bit too large and open at times which caused weird pacing as you plod around, and that wasn't helped by having to go through all the forced story bits and standing in place to wait for people to finish talking and so on as well. Wonder if Halo is a bit more of a Half-Life 2 instead of a Half-Life 1 in this regard. I'm probably just being silly and I should take your advice and avoid Halo, but I was just curious.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

pentyne posted:

The last decade has seen a shift as more of the lore focused on how terrible and unrelenting it is, literally nothing good, and started to stray further and further away from the "ironic" glorious fascism vibe of the 80s and 90s.
The problem is that fash folks will always slot themselves in as the last righteous man beset on all sides by enemies. 40k is terrible satire because the people its criticizing will never ever get it and from what I can tell GW doesn't push back hard enough because at the end of the day they still have toys to sell.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 30, 2020

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Black Griffon posted:

probably Dominion merch if you're a fan of the gamma quadrant, idk

Eight identical Weyoun funkopops.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

FutureCop posted:

I'm currently playing the MCC thanks to a very generous Steam friend, just playing through the original game solo on Heroic (the 2nd highest difficulty).

I don't have much nostalgia for the franchise, but I'm actually quite enjoying it. Even Halo: CE has aged pretty well even after all these years, and I find it pretty easy to pick up for a short session. Like it's not DOOM-level intense but it's still pretty smooth. The first game is simliar to the original Star Wars in that there's occasional allusions to a larger universe but 95% of the time it's just shooty lasers.

Halo CE definitely has more in common with Half-Life 1 than 2 in the ways you described.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FutureCop posted:

Thanks for the Halo feedback! Just to clarify though, since maybe I was being unfair to compare it to modern games and didn't give enough details, so I've made an example: I've gone through and played Half-Life 1 (not Black Mesa, just classic) recently and had a lot of fun as, despite it being very old and rather simple compared to the more complex games nowadays, it has a good flow to it with very few stops, along with cool and varied level design, so it held up for me very well. However, when I tried to play Half-Life 2 recently, it was a bit different: the game did have plenty of cool and neat moments, sure, but something about it felt a bit more bland or a bit more tedious, I dunno, maybe it's the subtle gamefeel or maybe it's levels were a bit too large and open at times which caused weird pacing as you plod around, and that wasn't helped by having to go through all the forced story bits and standing in place to wait for people to finish talking and so on as well. Wonder if Halo is a bit more of a Half-Life 2 instead of a Half-Life 1 in this regard. I'm probably just being silly and I should take your advice and avoid Halo, but I was just curious.

No that actually usefully clarifies some stuff. Given that I would recommend you play Reach first and then ODST if you want more, without any hesitation on those recommendations. Then if you want more still, you can play the original trilogy but those start coming with caveats like bad levels and bad enemies.

Whether that's worth the full purchase of the MCC or doing it piecemeal is up to you.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Have they fixed the audio in Reach in MCC? I tried playing it back when it first came out and had to shelve it because I couldn't put up with the weird audio.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hub Cat posted:

Have they fixed the audio in Reach in MCC? I tried playing it back when it first came out and had to shelve it because I couldn't put up with the weird audio.

Yeah it was fixed when..uhhh. I wanna say either H3 or ODST was added. H3 I think?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah it's fixed now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FutureCop posted:

I should just get Deep Rock Galactic or something instead for coop fun.

You should absolutely get Deep Rock Galactic because its the best 2-4player co-op game on Steam, by far. even pubbies are unusually good in it. also helps everyone is probably drunk and/or stoned.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Xaris posted:

also helps everyone is probably drunk

In game and out!

Beer and teamwork will keep us together! For rock and Stone! :cheers:

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Mostly same, but I occasionally get caught cackling at a Photoshop of, like, a dog with an eyepatch or something and she insists on seeing what I’m looking at and then no amount of explaining can ever suffice

My household has the exact same experience and by now she just accepts it when I tell her it would take too long to explain.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

In game and out!

Beer and teamwork will keep us together! For rock and Stone! :cheers:
My favorite little thing about DRG is that with my group on Xbox, whenever someone clicked the right stick to salute, even if it was accidental or at the dumbest possible moment, everyone would salute in response, every time. Nobody ever said anything about doing this at any point, it just happened every time without fail. FOR KARL!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

My favorite little thing about DRG is that with my group on Xbox, whenever someone clicked the right stick to salute, even if it was accidental or at the dumbest possible moment, everyone would salute in response, every time. Nobody ever said anything about doing this at any point, it just happened every time without fail. FOR KARL!

Honestly I think the salute/cheer key is the single thing that most contributes to Deep Rock's remarkably chill and friendly player base atmosphere.

If ya don't Rock and Stone, ya ain't comin' home.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ymgve posted:

ultrafilter posted:

It's a really nice idea but the execution is just not great.

I thought it was solid and enjoyed it a lot.

The only negative side was that the collectibles didn't do anything, so there's no reason to hunt them before you get the end game powers and then they'll be trivial.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

mycot posted:

Wamdoodle posted:

A certain type already unironically use "God Emperor" to refer to someone right now

Oh, yeah, no for sure. There's fash living out their secret and/or obvious fantasies in all these fandoms, but then you've got those official Stormtrooper legions who seem to be blissfully unaware of how hosed up the concept is when you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Just in case no one has posted about it yet, OMORI is now out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150690/OMORI/

It's hard to talk about it without spoiling stuff, so I'll just say that it's a pretty great Earthboundlike, if a bit... intense, at times.