Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

On purpose because her name is annie-may

Did they give an in-story reason why it's not Anna-May? (And good lord, Parker-Watsons, have the spine to make a decision and promise the other Aunt she can get the next kid)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Uhh no? Tbh I'm not well versed enough in spidey to know why that's a thing that needs to be justified

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I was about to say "What if they had a boy" because neither of those names have an easy male equivalent and then realized if it was a boy there's no way on earth he wouldn't be named Ben.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Spider-Girl has a baby brother named Ben. He was nicknamed Benji but Slott thought that was stupid and changed it to Benny.

gently caress Dan Slott is what I am saying.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Spider-Girl has a baby brother named Ben. He was nicknamed Benji but Slott thought that was stupid and changed it to Benny.

Benji is a dog's name

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Benny is worse than benji so checks out

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's what makes it cute

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

blast0rama posted:

This costume looks super familiar but I cannot place it...

https://twitter.com/SpiderMan/status/1344003591233802240

It's like a variant of the Tron Legacy suit from 10 years back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Give him a red and blue variant of Miles' 2020 suit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

Uhh no? Tbh I'm not well versed enough in spidey to know why that's a thing that needs to be justified

MJ's aunt who lived next to the Parkers is called Anna. So I think they were going for the kid being named after both mom and dad's aunt, except the first part isn't quite right and it seems weird.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

blast0rama posted:

My theory is that it's Taskmaster.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I do like the eyes but the rest of that thing is hideous.

I'm the opposite, haha. I find the eyes especially off-putting. I kind of like the way the spider trails off into the rest of the suit, at least.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Looks like he has a robot head.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Yvonmukluk posted:

If you liked Spider-Girl, I have to recommend the Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows book by Conway & Houser (skip the Secret Wars mini, it's basically worthless).

Renew Your Vows ruled and I miss it

blast0rama posted:

Aw, the Future Foundation and Stealth suits had a baby

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also Peter, MJ & Regent have a weird flash of recognition despite the fact the versions who showed up in the Secret Wars mini were explicitly not the 616 versions. Because...reasons?

Iirc, they did the weird flash of recognition bits in multiple books with characters/plots similar to SW minis and I feel like they still haven't really given a straight answer as to who, if anyone, remembers Secret Wars besides the Fantastic Four and Doom. I think Bendis flip-flopped more than once as to whether Miles Morales knew he was from another universe or not in the same post-SW run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Iirc, they did the weird flash of recognition bits in multiple books with characters/plots similar to SW minis and I feel like they still haven't really given a straight answer as to who, if anyone, remembers Secret Wars besides the Fantastic Four and Doom. I think Bendis flip-flopped more than once as to whether Miles Morales knew he was from another universe or not in the same post-SW run.

Miles definitely knows he's from a different universe now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gaz-L posted:

Did they give an in-story reason why it's not Anna-May? (And good lord, Parker-Watsons, have the spine to make a decision and promise the other Aunt she can get the next kid)
I think it is Anna May, but they call her Annie as a nickname. I think mostly so Peter can do 'Annie are you OK?' as one of his dad jokes.

(Also Annie technically is the 'next kid', since they established that the Clone Saga happened in that universe and as such baby May also existed but 'died'. I think Houser was going to establish one of the characters that showed up in the last arc was that world's Mayday, but the book got cancelled and that plotline was dropped.)

Skwirl posted:

I was about to say "What if they had a boy" because neither of those names have an easy male equivalent and then realized if it was a boy there's no way on earth he wouldn't be named Ben.
In House of M his son was called Richie, but then Uncle Ben was still around in that universe. But yeah, basically every other AU where Peter has a son, he's called Ben.

Rhyno posted:

Actually I think that Benny came directly from DeFalco & Frenz in their tie-in story where Mayday calls him that, which was just part of their ongoing efforts to do everything short of explicitly saying 'this isn't canon to the Spider-Girl we wrote, gently caress you Dan Slott'. It even ends with Spider-Girl talking about how she hopes there's a world where her family are all together and safe.

They kept it up in the tie-in stories from Secret Wars, where I think a couple of characters who had explicitly died in MC2 canon were inexplicably alive again and that went uncommented on. DeFalco also talked in a couple of interviews about how editors had repeatedly suggested killing off Peter & MJ in Spider-Girl, and part of why they'd stayed on the book so long rather than let someone else take over was because they knew literally the first Spider-Girl story someone else would do would be 'Peter and/or MJ die'.

I seem to remember Slott being very smug about 'hey, look, I brought Spider-Girl back for new stories (while destroying a bunch of what made her unique in the process), aren't you plebes grateful?' to some of the fans online. And then she got crammed into Web Warriors, where they clearly hadn't planned for her to be there and they just shoved her into another dimension at the end of the first arc. While letting the rest of the team hang out in her house with her baby brother and the Uncle Ben who Slott just crammed into her universe as a consolation prize (who Slott had referred as 'her' Uncle Ben, despite the fact that's wrong on multiple levels). I'm 100% sure that MJ would have told all of them to gently caress off and not come back until they had her daughter.

I'm fairly certain Slott had MC2 Peter resurrected at the end of Spider-Geddon as a half-assed apology to the guy who he basically owes his career to.

gently caress Dan Slott, basically.

TwoPair posted:

Bu it makes no sense! Peter was explicitly part of the group running around Battleworld from the ark. Neither he nor MJ or Regent were the same people from that mini at all!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

In House of M his son was called Richie, but then Uncle Ben was still around in that universe. But yeah, basically every other AU where Peter has a son, he's called Ben.

His biological father (that raised him for a good chunk of his pre-adolescence) was named Richard, right?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

His biological father (that raised him for a good chunk of his pre-adolescence) was named Richard, right?

Peter's dad? Yeah, his name was Richard (and presumably who Richie was named for - I guess no matter the universe, Peter Parker is terribly unoriginal at naming kids). But Peter's parents died when he was either a toddler or an infant - basically before Peter was old enough to remember. I think him being around longer than that was an invention of the Webb movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Peter's dad? Yeah, his name was Richard (and presumably who Richie was named for - I guess no matter the universe, Peter Parker is terribly unoriginal at naming kids). But Peter's parents died when he was either a toddler or an infant - basically before Peter was old enough to remember. I think him being around longer than that was an invention of the Webb movies.

When the Chameleon had robots pretend to be Peter's parents Peter had memories of going on picnics and a family dog that jumped into a fountain. So he was likely older than a toddler. I always figured he was like 8 or 9 when they died, 6 at the youngest.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bu it makes no sense! Peter was explicitly part of the group running around Battleworld from the ark. Neither he nor MJ or Regent were the same people from that mini at all!

I mean, you're not wrong, but also multiverse, I ain't gotta explain poo poo

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Miles definitely knows he's from a different universe now.

Yeah, I just caught up with Ahmed's run and also read Spider-Men 2 for the first time and it's weird how Bendis just takes as read Miles knowing when it's clearly the messier choice. I'd have been fine with basically ignoring the "original" Miles, to be honest, especially if it was just a way to kill Aaron again.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Wow, now that I’ve read the whole thing, I can confidently say: Last Remains was terrible! Absolutely nothing happened after all that build up. Might stop reading from here on tbh. I just want Spider-Man to be good again, for an extended period. More Zdarsky or Taylor, less Slott or Spencer.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Honestly, I am still flabbergasted and how lovely the new Spider-Man costume looks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Honestly, I am still flabbergasted and how lovely the new Spider-Man costume looks.

I assume it's around for six months or less.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

nemesis_hub posted:

Wow, now that I’ve read the whole thing, I can confidently say: Last Remains was terrible! Absolutely nothing happened after all that build up. Might stop reading from here on tbh. I just want Spider-Man to be good again, for an extended period. More Zdarsky or Taylor, less Slott or Spencer.

Annnnd that's what I figured. LR has been real stupid but I was hoping for something interesting in 55. Sigh, at least the gleason cover is cool. Sucks it had to be for a book that is mediocre. Not looking forward to my copy of 56 now either, took this off the pull.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Vince MechMahon posted:

I assume it's around for six months or less.

Oh absolutely, but I just don't get why do it at all. Especially when I have a lot of customers shakey with continuing on with Spider-Man after the long pointless mess that has been Kindred.

I just want to see him bitten by a radioactive centipede and swing through the city by shooting out centipedes, "webbing" people up with centipedes, ect. Instead we got... Uhh... A Spooky Demon (?). Great.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sign me up for Howard the Phoenix please and thank you Mr. Jason Aaron.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

nemesis_hub posted:

Got it finally, yeah that was..a big rear end meh.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think the idea is that Last Remains is meant to be act two of a three-part story (Sins Rising being the first, obviously), but I'm not 100% sure why they felt the need to not come out and say it.

I've actually been liking the character work on it, honestly. I get why people are upset with the pacing, but honestly the quality of the writing itself is pretty good imo.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think the idea is that Last Remains is meant to be act two of a three-part story (Sins Rising being the first, obviously), but I'm not 100% sure why they felt the need to not come out and say it.

I've actually been liking the character work on it, honestly. I get why people are upset with the pacing, but honestly the quality of the writing itself is pretty good imo.

it was 30 pages of "the airing of the grievances" and then a dumb cliffhanger, this dude is spinning wheels hard and i'm out..i already ordered 56 so i'm not gunna bother being a dick at my LCS about it but i'm good.

i'll just sub to non-stop instead, i have a feeling that will be solid and enjoyable, i only have it as a single for #1 right now

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/jacobmercy/status/1344354227900960769?s=21

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Double post

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Would not be the first time Santa tried to kill Iron Man.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

We could've had a Venomised Santa Claus but instead we got this. Once again Knull robs us of what we deserve.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Is somebody somewhere trying to make "knullified" a thing?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yes donny cates is currently writing an event at marvel

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
it was cute and probably the only entertaining thing to come out of this abominable event but I still don't forgive Cantwell for the Doom series proper

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Got it finally, yeah that was..a big rear end meh.

It’s too bad, I thought the run was going well before Spencer tried to do another Big Important Story. He should really stick to goofy hijinks, it’s much more his forte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Power Pack was fun this week. It's kinda funny that this and the current Iron Man is about A villain manipulating heroes to produce electrical power to the masses, only to take it for himself.
Also Ryan North has clearly based this on that one SMBC-comic.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 31, 2020