Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

Scottish independence any time soon would make the NI position extra ludicrous

I don't even know what NI is anymore. The DUP spent two and a half years strongarming the place into constitutional purgatory :ghost:. I stopped really caring a while ago so w/e

The DUP bought it upon themselves, a shortsighted bunch.

Would Arlene emigrate to England or Scotland after the 2024 Irish Reunification? :ohdear:

This is leaving me a very perplexed nationalist(small n); never felt British & never felt Irish (100 years of cultural divergence near Ballymoney does that to a person).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Question IRL posted:

* = We weren't alone in that line of thinking. African American troops in the US were promised similar things. And I have no doubt other people in the world have very similar stories.

Yup, there's a reason India became independent only 2 years after the war ended.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Public service announcement: on Christmas eve, I got baked. I hate the time of year, have no one but parents staying until I die. So, apparently, I played skylines. The results were worryingly well measured and almost tuetonic in execution. Dont do drugs unless you want to be a nazi town planner, but even then, twisto is ahead of you,

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ThomasPaine posted:

Did we Brexit our way back to 1886 yet? :britain:

Supposedly they will announce the sequel for PS5 early next year.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1344280898112544771

Look, some opposition!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

kingturnip posted:

Labour won't make significant in-roads in Scotland as long as ScotLab is led by the thickest people imaginable

At this point I think the roads are closed. Scotland is going independent and it's just time. England has only got worse since the first referendum.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trickjaw posted:

Public service announcement: on Christmas eve, I got baked. I hate the time of year, have no one but parents staying until I die. So, apparently, I played skylines. The results were worryingly well measured and almost tuetonic in execution. Dont do drugs unless you want to be a nazi town planner, but even then, twisto is ahead of you,

post your urban planning coward

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Trickjaw posted:

Doubt it's more efficient than
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJQTc-TqpU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Regarde Aduck posted:

At this point I think the roads are closed. Scotland is going independent and it's just time. England has only got worse since the first referendum.

I wish I could be that optimistic, but the key to it is that there are large amounts of people in Scotland who are both A) Thick as pig poo poo and B) Guaranteed to vote against independence.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

post your urban planning coward

I don't know how to do that from a ps4 WHEREISMYPS5

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trickjaw posted:

I don't know how to do that from a ps4 WHEREISMYPS5

I feel like doing that on a ps4 is the wildest part of your story.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol imagine his response if it was corbyn whipping to vote for the deal. proving everyone at peoples vote cared more about removing corbyn

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1344054372615991297?s=20

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like doing that on a ps4 is the wildest part of your story.
Look, I'm a lazy man. A lazy, lazy man.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
SNP will continue to dominate Scotland until either:

Scotland gets independence

Another referendum fails and people lose faith.

After independence they would need to gently caress things up pretty badly or turn heel (which is what a lot of people expect) to be kicked out across the board.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trickjaw posted:

Look, I'm a lazy man. A lazy, lazy man.

I mean, playing a city manager on a console sounds more like you're about ready to lock yourself in a room and come out having built an android or something.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, playing a city manager on a console sounds more like you're about ready to lock yourself in a room and come out having built an android or something.

Why would you come out?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
What's the argument against Labour doing a quid-pro-quo with the Scottish separatists and making a manifesto promise of a referendum in the last year of their first term? "Give us a chance to make Britain worth being part of" sort of thing?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What does it gain them? People are still going to vote SNP and then labour's entire term in office becomes centered around the independence referendum.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoshHalliday/status/1344292437221650439?s=20

Basically everywhere now tier 3 or tier 4

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Right so it's not a national lockdown, just that literally everyone is in a regional lockdown. Clear messaging from the government

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Oh my god just put us in lockdown you craven arseholes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
2020 strangest year continues. They've finally got a WorkBoy working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZcrPM-jDqY

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1344294446293278721

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Happy Brexit day :siren:DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE :siren:

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

What does it gain them? People are still going to vote SNP and then labour's entire term in office becomes centered around the independence referendum.

The best available option would be to propose something positive that was arguably preferable to both the status quo and full independence. Some kind of United Federation of Britain that consisted of fully independent nations that decided to share a state. Make that open to any other formerly-British nation that wants to join or leave at any time with minimal restrictions. Maybe New Zealand or one or two of the other wired places that actually like the UK could be persuaded into looking at joining.

For bonus points, have Ireland join in 2024, on condition the word British was replaced with Planet.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Who's going to buy this business that he just ruined?
loving aquaman.

Presumably he is going to leave the glass eel business and move into a safer market, like face-eating leopards.

E: well that wasn't the last page...

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 30, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

radmonger posted:

The best available option would be to propose something positive that was arguably preferable to both the status quo and full independence. Some kind of United Federation of Britain that consisted of fully independent nations that decided to share a state. Make that open to any other formerly-British nation that wants to join or leave at any time with minimal restrictions. Maybe New Zealand or one or two of the other wired places that actually like the UK could be persuaded into looking at joining.

For bonus points, have Ireland join in 2024, on condition the word British was replaced with Planet.

Why would any other country agree to that, why would nationalists agree to that if they want indepdendence, why would any government want to spend their entire term doing that? And again, what would it gain them in the current electoral system to run on that platform?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I have the GBA version of Simcity 2000 lying around somewhere.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

The UK seems to be allergic to federalism, as in The Question IRL's WWI post, Ireland would have probably agreed to a Quebec type deal (as invented by Britain) or a NSW type deal (as invented by Britain), as both offer even more constitutional protection of continued self governance than a unilateral declaration of 'home rule' that could be revoked, but London could not tolerate the idea of two (or more) coequal partners in federation closer to home.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I got made redundant in August of last year because of covid stuff, since then I've been applying for stuff here and there when I see something I really want but now the gap on my CV is pretty big obviously. Is that something I should be worried about at this point or do people reckon that employers are going to understand that is probably a thing that's going to happen with how 2020 went?

Like in any other year I would have just been applying for whatever and gotten a random data entry job, probably would have taken up some volunteering or done a course or something but with all this I was only applying for stuff that was offering remote work because gently caress no I'm not going on a bus or train if I can at all avoid it and I was doing OK enough from that job to not have to worry about money too much (which I know makes me very lucky). Now I'm all self conscious and not sure whether I should address the gap on the CV or in cover letters and if I do address it, how.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Ireland would have probably agreed to a NSW type deal
I'm sure the deal will be very :nws:

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

What would motivate voters to stay with the SNP though? The paradox with the SNP is they promise a referendum which even if they won every seat they contested, they'd still have no power to deliver. Their only hope of success is a DUP style tiebreaker moment. Labour on the other hand could deliver a referendum unilaterally if they won an outright majority and even in a coalition there are no likely partners who would oppose that. Lending Labour a vote would become a far more credible path to a referendum than SNP loyalty.

Meanwhile in Westminster you can throw everything you have at rebuilding Britain and when the Tories bring up the deficit you accuse them of selling out the union to save a few quid, pincering them between their core values of unionism and fiscal responsibility. Make the referendum a done deal and the debate becomes about how you swing it in your favour.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Endjinneer posted:

What would motivate voters to stay with the SNP though? The paradox with the SNP is they promise a referendum which even if they won every seat they contested, they'd still have no power to deliver. Their only hope of success is a DUP style tiebreaker moment. Labour on the other hand could deliver a referendum unilaterally if they won an outright majority and even in a coalition there are no likely partners who would oppose that. Lending Labour a vote would become a far more credible path to a referendum than SNP loyalty.

Meanwhile in Westminster you can throw everything you have at rebuilding Britain and when the Tories bring up the deficit you accuse them of selling out the union to save a few quid, pincering them between their core values of unionism and fiscal responsibility. Make the referendum a done deal and the debate becomes about how you swing it in your favour.

If you want independence then it makes sense to vote for the party that is single issue independence and keeps winning seats. Especially if you want to guarantee that labour is not going to renege on a commitment to it, because then the SNP has the ability to vote down all their stuff if they don't have a majority.

A weak UK government is good for the SNP and indpendence supporters, there is absolutely no situation where if you want independence you are better off voting for labour than the SNP, because the SNP gets you MPs in parliament that will support independence, there is no need to vote for a labour MP who might or might not stick to that unless you have other interests.

Labour could facilitate it with a majority, but forcing them into a coalition lends the SNP bloc far more power.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 30, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Endjinneer posted:

Make the referendum a done deal and the debate becomes about how you swing it in your favour.
Doo doo doo, right.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trickjaw posted:

My Cities Skylines attempts are much more worrying because I find the endgame really dull so I tend to design them to be the biggest deathtraps possible just so I've got something to do with the disasters button once I've got all the public transport humming along perfectly. That and occasionally, like Old Testament God, I'll pick one individual and find ways to gently caress with them like putting their house at the end of a map-spanning one-way system so they can get to work in 20 seconds then take weeks to get home.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CS isn't so much a game as it is a sort of moving model builder. There isn't much actual game to it other than traffic simulation, which it is, in fairness, quite good at. If you want to build horrible abomination junctions it's a great game for that and does a decent job of encouraging you to use real life road design because it simulates (or can be made to simulate) a lot of real life traffic concerns like smooth merging and minimizing stop/starts.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://youtu.be/fn3KWM1kuAw

At least we've got dancing robots to end out the year.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jose posted:

lol imagine his response if it was corbyn whipping to vote for the deal. proving everyone at peoples vote cared more about removing corbyn

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1344054372615991297?s=20
lol he was going after Owen Jones for being "pro-leave" just at the start of this month.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Well I was wondering what my MP would do in the Brexit vote and it seems she went against the whip and abstained (following the preference of a clear majority of her constituents) and therefore has resigned from the front bench. Principled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

thebardyspoon posted:

So I got made redundant in August of last year because of covid stuff, since then I've been applying for stuff here and there when I see something I really want but now the gap on my CV is pretty big obviously. Is that something I should be worried about at this point or do people reckon that employers are going to understand that is probably a thing that's going to happen with how 2020 went?

This is an answer from the field of Engineering. Your field may differ. Can you answer questions about that gap with something better than

Renton posted:

The truth -- well, the truth is that I've had a long-standing problem with heroin addiction. I've been know to sniff it, smoke it, swallow it, stick it up my arse and inject it into my veins. I've been trying to combat this addiction, but unless you count social security scams and shoplifting, I haven't had a regular job in years. I feel it's important to mention this.

If so, no problem. Recruiters are used to seeing gaps on CVs. Parenthood, sabbaticals, contractors between jobs. It's normal. Don't try to hide it. Put one line in saying something like "August 2020 - Present: Looking for next opportunity". If you've done anything worthy like caring for family members during the outbreak or learning a new skill definitely mention that too.