Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
As somebody who has only been on 1080p60, the biggest drawback in games seems to be that you have to choose between the following:

1) Vsync off, everything tears like a motherfucker but it's fast/smooth as long as you keep the FPS up
2) Vsync on, somehow get lag spikes/FPS drops below 60 in places where FPS stayed 100% over 60 when vsync was off :wtc: but screen tearing *does* 100% go away at least

More than anything I'm hoping moving to a gsync compatible monitor unfucks all that and just makes everything smooth and tear-free as long as the FPS delivered by the RTX 3070 is good. I guess I'll be a good guinea pig for "does this poo poo really matter lmao" when I get my new monitor today! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I only have a 970, so I haven't been able to fully take advantage of the other improvements, but for me just the upgrade from 24" 1080p to 27" 1440p, is a worthwhile one. Although it did take some getting used. It's a fair amount of screen to have relatively up close.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sean10mm posted:

General question for the thread: going from generic 1080p60 to 1440p144 with gsync/freesync, what was the best part of the upgrade for you?

Higher resolution?
Higher refresh rate in general?
Variable refresh rate?

A generally more comfortable experience.

I run a single monitor, and I find the bigger screen real estate combined with the higher resolution and refresh rate just feels better to my eyes. I switch between machines several times a day due to working from home, and I find my main desktop's 27" 1440p 144hz monitor more comfortable looking at the same things. The 24" 1080p screens I use feel cramped and kind of Reader's Digest easy-reading format after using the 27". I've gotten used to having webpages open at what must be like 1900x1420, so having the same site only be able to do like 1920x1060 feels cramped to me now.

Outside of games the higher refresh rate definitely feels better, but the 60hz and 75hz screens aren't bad. The 144hz is just better. I also have to look at a lot of laptop screens along with the monitors, so in closing my displays are a land of contrasts.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

panel tech > higher resolution (to a point) > higher refresh (to a point) > adaptive sync, for me.

over 4k and over ~120hz, the differences are less noticable for me... but any time I see a TN panel, i immediately get The Gamers Scowl

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cygni posted:

but any time I see a TN panel, i immediately get The Gamers Scowl
yep. The very first* high refresh rate monitor I bought was a TN panel, moving down from a decent IPS 60hz monitor, and hoo booy I was like wow I hosed up. Ended up giving it away and buying one of the first-gen affordable 144 hz VA panels (samsung cfg70). TN is really just so loving ugly to look at that unless you already have one and are used to it, it's never worth downgrading in panel-tech.

*I actually owned a 120hz CRT monitor way back in the day so I could pwn noobs in Natural Selection as a Fade/Lerk :c00l: but then my parents thought they were doing me a favor and threw that away and bought me an early-gen LCD which looked like blurry mashed-rear end and my skill went to poo poo :smith:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Yeah, I remember going from TN to IPS on two 1080p60 monitors of the same size and noticing the image quality jump right away.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I only have a 970, so I haven't been able to fully take advantage of the other improvements, but for me just the upgrade from 24" 1080p to 27" 1440p, is a worthwhile one. Although it did take some getting used. It's a fair amount of screen to have relatively up close.

This card is around 6 years old. You likely will see more of the benefits of high refresh rate and other monitor technologies with a new card or new system.

I will say the ~100 PPI of a 27" QHD setup is much more enjoyable than the ~90 PPI of a 24" FHD setup. It's only a little bit of extra density but it feels nice and doesn't require scaling anything.

4k is nice for 4k video content, and not much else, in my experience. When we can reliably do 4k at 120hz+, I'll be all about it, but until then QHD is perfect for me.

There are a lot of other comments I have about adaptive sync and PPI and other stuff people are looking for but I will spare you unless someone wants to hear my opinions on specific questions.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
That video is pretty enticing. I’m debating whether to get the LG83A (1440p 144 hz) or the Dell S2721Q (4K 60 hz) and this discussion is leaning me towards the LG. I’ll mostly be using it for productivity stuff — do people feel the jump from 1440 to 4K is less dramatic than the jump from 60 to 144 hz?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Neurostorm posted:

That video is pretty enticing. I’m debating whether to get the LG83A (1440p 144 hz) or the Dell S2721Q (4K 60 hz) and this discussion is leaning me towards the LG. I’ll mostly be using it for productivity stuff — do people feel the jump from 1440 to 4K is less dramatic than the jump from 60 to 144 hz?

The big problem with going 4K IMO (other than price) is that even top of the line video cards struggle with keeping up decent FPS at 4K for gaming. 1440p is a lot less of a performance hit there, but of course this only really matters if gaming is a priority.

OTOH if I was using my monitor to watch 4K video a lot and not really gaming, I'd want a 4K monitor with proper HDR support.

I'm a comparative noob on the monitor side though so take that with a grain of salt.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

sean10mm posted:

OTOH if I was using my monitor to watch 4K video a lot and not really gaming, I'd want a 4K monitor with proper HDR support.

does this even really exist for <30" monitors? Wake me when up a 27" 4k-120 IPS/VA/*LED panel with proper HDR comes out for sale for under $800. although i may be asleep for a decade.

as far as i can tell, "hdr" pc monitors are a big loving lmao pie unless you're getting like a 48 LG CX and using it as a pc monitor.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Xaris posted:

does this even really exist for <30" monitors? Wake me when up a 27" 4k-120 IPS/VA/*LED panel with proper HDR comes out for sale for under $800. although i may be asleep for a decade.

as far as i can tell, "hdr" pc monitors are a big loving lmao pie unless you're getting like a 48 LG CX and using it as a pc monitor.

:iiam: but I also assume 4K is more worth it on big boi monitors anyway?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I guess I’m the odd man out but I didn’t notice much image quality difference going from a (TN) Dell S2716DG to an (IPS) Dell P2715Q (apart from the resolution difference of course). The IPS was a little more vivid at any given brightness but it was probably something you’d have to use a camera to notice.

I could completely believe that people notice the difference compared to the early lovely 6-bit TN panels that were really common at the start of the 2010s, but I don’t think the technology is inherently bad, I think the higher end TN panels (1440p 27” or 1440p 24”) are fine.

It just becomes a question of “if I’m spending $400 for a monitor anyway then why am I not getting IPS while I’m at it”.

To be fair, Dell quality control is also a cut above which is probably a contributing factor.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paul MaudDib posted:

To be fair, Dell quality control is also a cut above which is probably a contributing factor.

yeah it's this. Dell TN panels are literally the only good ones anyone has ever said anything positive about.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Neurostorm posted:

I originally bought a 32" 4k 60 hz screen and at 100% scaling (Windows scaling sucks even if it's better than it used to be) even the 32" had text far too small to be comfortable using. I still have that monitor but its relegated to PS4 duty, while I replaced it with a PG279Q for 1440p high refresh rate and its definitely a nicer gaming experience. I recently bought a ultrawide 1440p/160hz panel (34GN850) though and I would highly recommend giving ultrawide a shot in games that play well with it. Also really great for getting work done when you can have 3 windows side by side at usable widths.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Powershift posted:

I've been using the 27" 4k for like a week, and it makes 27" 1440p feel like 720p, especially with a 4 window split.

I'm going to experiment a bit before i build a new mount, 3x27 feels way too wide. I might pull the risers off my desk and build stacked arm like my old single arm.

My old mount was 48x48x24 with 2 monitors, but only 3/4 inch pipe it won't support 3 screens. I could run another 1 foot pipe off the tee and 4 foot cross bar to built a 4 monitor array that i can split into 2 individual arrays for local multiplayer with my nephews.

At that point though it's ~100lbs off a single side of the desk and i might be better off with the 4 foot off one side and a 3 foot off the other side, and just drop my desk off the risers.

Nobody locally carries 1 1/2 inch pipe though. because i want to run all the wiring through the pipe.

This is from over a year ago, but as a former plumbing apprentice, this made me laugh my rear end off. Malleable Iron Pipe (and stainless?) isn't cheap either, which makes this awesome. Well done!

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

Shipon posted:

I originally bought a 32" 4k 60 hz screen and at 100% scaling (Windows scaling sucks even if it's better than it used to be) even the 32" had text far too small to be comfortable using. I still have that monitor but its relegated to PS4 duty, while I replaced it with a PG279Q for 1440p high refresh rate and its definitely a nicer gaming experience. I recently bought a ultrawide 1440p/160hz panel (34GN850) though and I would highly recommend giving ultrawide a shot in games that play well with it. Also really great for getting work done when you can have 3 windows side by side at usable widths.

Yeah the text issue definitely concerns me. I mostly game on consoles, but from this thread and the pc building thread it sounds like the smoothness is also quite nice for working and programming. I guess I’ll go w the 144 hz and then reassess in a few years. My current monitors aren’t even 1080p (1680x1050), so I imagine the bump to 1440 will still feel dramatic.

I would love an ultra wide but the price premium for them is just too much to justify right now.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Neurostorm posted:

Yeah the text issue definitely concerns me. I mostly game on consoles, but from this thread and the pc building thread it sounds like the smoothness is also quite nice for working and programming. I guess I’ll go w the 144 hz and then reassess in a few years. My current monitors aren’t even 1080p (1680x1050), so I imagine the bump to 1440 will still feel dramatic.

I would love an ultra wide but the price premium for them is just too much to justify right now.

The Gigabyte G34WQC is basically a VA panel equivalent of the LG 34GN850 that sells for about half the price for the same features, if that helps. I've just bought one myself, I'll post about it when I get it!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Paul MaudDib posted:

I guess I’m the odd man out but I didn’t notice much image quality difference going from a (TN) Dell S2716DG to an (IPS) Dell P2715Q (apart from the resolution difference of course). The IPS was a little more vivid at any given brightness but it was probably something you’d have to use a camera to notice.

I could completely believe that people notice the difference compared to the early lovely 6-bit TN panels that were really common at the start of the 2010s, but I don’t think the technology is inherently bad, I think the higher end TN panels (1440p 27” or 1440p 24”) are fine.

It just becomes a question of “if I’m spending $400 for a monitor anyway then why am I not getting IPS while I’m at it”.

Modern TNs are actually quite reasonable on color reproduction and contrast, especially the higher end gaming ones. A lot of advancements made in LCDs over the last 20 years have gone in to making every panel type better, TNs, IPS, VA, basically they are all better than they used to be in most ways.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Pretty sure the panels in the 27dg and 24dg were regarded as the absolute best TN panels.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

Coucho Marx posted:

The Gigabyte G34WQC is basically a VA panel equivalent of the LG 34GN850 that sells for about half the price for the same features, if that helps. I've just bought one myself, I'll post about it when I get it!

Wow this looks perfect — did you get it for $400? Looks like it’s sold out at both Amazon and Best Buy right now but I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Looking for a quick sanity check. Any reason why I shouldn't buy 3 of these?

I'm wanting to do a triple-monitor setup for working from home, and have all but given up gaming these days. In doing some research, the recommendation seems to be get 3 monitors that are the same model, and $75 CAD each seems like a steal (shipping is like $22). I've used a 21.5" 60hz 1080p screen for years, and am happy with the screen size. 8ms response time seems a little slow, but my understanding is this metric is largely useless anyway. Reviews (from 6 years ago, lawl) suggest that this model is decent. My 2 monitors at work have thick bezels, so I'm not really snobbish about that either.

I tried using 3 mismatched monitors, and the productivity was so good (admin/HR) that I don't think I can go back. I haven't tried an ultrawide, but with how many windows I have open sometimes I don't think it would be a good alternative. Anything I'm missing; am I being an idiot?

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Neurostorm posted:

Wow this looks perfect — did you get it for $400? Looks like it’s sold out at both Amazon and Best Buy right now but I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks!

~$730 AUD, so a bit more than that, but that's living in Aus for you! It was pretty low in stock here, too, but it looks like it's available for $399 USD in a few places, so if that's in your budget then why not?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm wanting to do a triple-monitor setup for working from home, and have all but given up gaming these days. In doing some research, the recommendation seems to be get 3 monitors that are the same model, and $75 CAD each seems like a steal (shipping is like $22). I've used a 21.5" 60hz 1080p screen for years, and am happy with the screen size. 8ms response time seems a little slow, but my understanding is this metric is largely useless anyway. Reviews (from 6 years ago, lawl) suggest that this model is decent. My 2 monitors at work have thick bezels, so I'm not really snobbish about that either.

I tried using 3 mismatched monitors, and the productivity was so good (admin/HR) that I don't think I can go back. I haven't tried an ultrawide, but with how many windows I have open sometimes I don't think it would be a good alternative. Anything I'm missing; am I being an idiot?

As someone who mostly does admin/HR/manager stuff, yeah, i can't recommend multi monitor enough. I've personally found 2 x 27 to be better than 3 smaller screens, though. I like that 27in at 1440p/4k let you put two 8.5x11 documents next to each other at full size with full legibility plus the toolbars and such. Really helps.

I would def recommend dropping by a store (if thats safe/possible to do in your area) and taking a look at a 27in 1440p in person if you havent.

If you have and still want a 22in, there a bunch on the market that are basically commodity. Those are good in that they are IPS and 1080p, which is a nice sweet spot. I'm not in touch enough with Canadian prices to know if those are a good deal or not though, I know LG sells a 24in IPS 1080p monitor for like $90 brand new here in the states.

One dumb little thing to check is to make sure your docking station setup (assuming you are using The Standard Issue Dell Laptop of All Working People) can handle the 3x DPs to plug em in. Those monitors don't have HDMI. You could also run VGA converter dongles, but just some stuff to think through.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

Coucho Marx posted:

~$730 AUD, so a bit more than that, but that's living in Aus for you! It was pretty low in stock here, too, but it looks like it's available for $399 USD in a few places, so if that's in your budget then why not?

I'm not seeing it in stock anywhere I'm looking, but will definitely keep an eye out and grab one. Thanks for the advice!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Cygni posted:

Good advice.
Appreciate the feedback, thanks! I'll visit a store and check out some of the ones you suggested. I've been working off 2x 24" 1080p monitors at work, and they're kinda in-my-face because my desk isn't that deep (nor is my desk at home; maybe I should invest there first), so 22" would theoretically work better. The third monitor was mostly to monitor email/microsoft teams/teleconferences, because that's now a big part of the job, while the other two do the usual work stuff. Funny, the pictures on the website have different I/O ports, so maybe I'll email the retailer to make sure I know what I'm buying.

Hadn't considered the PDF's alongside each other. I've been using [Windows Key] + [Left or Right arrow] to snap my windows to the sides, which 3 monitors gives me more options for. But upgrading to 1440p might mean I could get away with just 2. Thanks again for giving me some things to think about.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That listing appears to be for at least 2 different monitors - a Dell and an HP. You'd probably need to check to try to make sure you get matching units and not a mismatch.
Ah gently caress, you're right!

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 30, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Bought my wife a P2720DC a few weeks ago for her home office. Been connecting it to her laptop over USB-C and it was working great, had a few other USB items plugged into the monitor and they worked great. Tonight I bumped into the monitor while plugging something else into it and now her monitor and laptop are having some sort of communication issue.

--When connected over USB-C, her laptop doesn't recognize that it's hooked up an external monitor, and the monitor claims that it's getting no signal to display.

--When connected over USB-C, her laptop DOES recognize all of the various USB gadgets plugged into the monitor (keyboard, mouse etc.), and also draws power over that same connection. My work laptop has the same type of USB-C port for power/docking that her laptop has, and my work laptop behaves in the same way when connected.

--My personal laptop and the monitor do recognize each other and display properly, albeit over HDMI as my laptop doesn't have USB-C ports for this sort of thing.

--Can't re-install drivers or run any of Dell's display tools/diagnostics because the laptop doesn't recognize that there's a display connected.

I spent two hours beating my head against this before remembering that I have a USB-C to HDMI connector, and that mercifully got the laptop and display to recognize each other. However, that still doesn't tell me what went wrong to begin with. I guess the last thing I'd want to try before reaching out to Dell is buying a different USB-C to USB-C cable, unless I missed something. Are USB-C monitors just unreliable or did I get unlucky?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That listing appears to be for at least 2 different monitors - a Dell and an HP. You'd probably need to check to try to make sure you get matching units and not a mismatch. Also, as somebody already noted, one of the monitors doesn't appear to have HDMI input, but the other one does.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

My LG 27GL83A-B review:

Overall image quality is good. Definitely a bump in sharpness over my old 1080p IPS display. Unsurprisingly, it ships with wildly high brightness, but just using the Windows 10 video calibration tool made it easy to dial in solid settings for normal use.

Variable refresh rate is magic in games. No more choosing between screen tearing vs. lag free movement over a huge FPS range. 1080p60+Vsync can eat a buffet of dicks.

The OSD is pretty straightforward and the little joystick/button combination for navigating the settings works well. Build quality appears to be solid.

The main downside is the same one I've seen on every IPS panel I've ever had: it can't show anything like pure blacks and has IPS glow. Specifically the bottom left corner. It's very obvious on a solid black screen but isn't really discernible otherwise.

I'd give it a 4/5. With better blacks and no IPS glow it would be 5/5.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

For some people matching monitors are important, a coworker swapped monitors with other coworkers to get a pair of TN monitors with matching color. But personally I've never seen the need for that. I always used three different monitors with up to 10 years of difference in age. The monitors have different roles and so their requirements also differ significantly. Until january I had a 24" 1200p TN monitor as the main monitor, an ancient 15" 1024x768 for IRC screen and above them a 21" 1080p for YouTube. Currently I have a 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS gaming monitor as the main, a 27" 1440p 60Hz IPS to improved remote working uses and the same YT monitor. At work I've usually had three 24" 1200p monitors with one always in portrait mode.

22" 1080p is decent, but I'd consider it the minimum resolution and you should consider if one 1440p could provide benefit. Think about if you've had occasions where you would have liked a larger window, for example a large Excel sheet. A more extreme option could be an ultrawide monitor. Two narrower windows could be more optimal than two widescreen monitors.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone mind helping me with a monitor recommendation? 27", 1440p, 144hz, HDR if possible. I know most monitors don't do HDR justice but I want it anyway. I'm mostly gaming and stream over steam link the odd time to a tv in my basement. HDR requires Windows flags it as on in most games in order to pass it to the tv over streaming.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone mind helping me with a monitor recommendation? 27", 1440p, 144hz, HDR if possible. I know most monitors don't do HDR justice but I want it anyway. I'm mostly gaming and stream over steam link the odd time to a tv in my basement. HDR requires Windows flags it as on in most games in order to pass it to the tv over streaming.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-usage/hdr-gaming

The pickings are pretty slim there.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

The Gunslinger posted:

As a dude that went down this rabbit hole last month honestly the consensus is do not get excited about HDR on a monitor. I got one that’s HDR capable and it’s not great. You’re probably just setting yourself up for disappointment. My cheap Roku TV does it significantly better.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sean10mm posted:

My LG 27GL83A-B review:

Overall image quality is good. Definitely a bump in sharpness over my old 1080p IPS display. Unsurprisingly, it ships with wildly high brightness, but just using the Windows 10 video calibration tool made it easy to dial in solid settings for normal use.

Variable refresh rate is magic in games. No more choosing between screen tearing vs. lag free movement over a huge FPS range. 1080p60+Vsync can eat a buffet of dicks.

The OSD is pretty straightforward and the little joystick/button combination for navigating the settings works well. Build quality appears to be solid.

The main downside is the same one I've seen on every IPS panel I've ever had: it can't show anything like pure blacks and has IPS glow. Specifically the bottom left corner. It's very obvious on a solid black screen but isn't really discernible otherwise.

I'd give it a 4/5. With better blacks and no IPS glow it would be 5/5.

For me me the IPS glow in the corners was a deal breaker. Beautiful image until night falls or I walk into a cave, then suddenly I can barely make anything out. Though note that your sitting position will affect how bad it is.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rinkles posted:

For me me the IPS glow in the corners was a deal breaker. Beautiful image until night falls or I walk into a cave, then suddenly I can barely make anything out. Though note that your sitting position will affect how bad it is.

What do you go with instead of IPS then? Do any IPS monitors reliably have no glow or do you just go with TN/VA/whatever?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sean10mm posted:

What do you go with instead of IPS then? Do any IPS monitors reliably have no glow or do you just go with TN/VA/whatever?

I'm not sure. It can definitely depend on the individual display, but I've seen stories of people exchanging monitors multiple times but never being satisfied with the replacements.

It's either down to parts lottery, or some people just aren't bothered by it, because it's hard for me to understand how it isn't be a bigger deal itt otherwise.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This was a helpful response from K8 when I got my 83A

K8.0 posted:

A few thoughts - there are plenty of people who care more about contrast, and you can certainly make other tradeoffs between response time and contrast. It's just that these LG panels are the current best set of tradeoffs on the market for most people, and contrast is the low point. The contrast of a given panel is also by no means consistent. Since IIRC you bought of warehouse, it's quite possible that your monitor was previously returned for having particularly bad contrast. No way to say without an objective test. Return shouldn't be bad, that's a big reason we tell people to buy from Amazon and not Newegg. If you're torn but aren't feeling like response time is a particularly huge deal for you, maybe an Innolux panel monitor is a good option.

LCDs are a dogshit technology and we're always going to have severe compromises as long as they're around. May MicroLED save us all (some time around 2050). Even then, it'll almost certainly be a few generations before we get truly great displays. Don't expect anything that truly has no real compromises until the curse of sample and hold awfulness is dead and gone from monitors.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

sean10mm posted:

Best thing you can do to combat IPS glow is accent lighting. If whatever is around and behind the monitor is close to as bright as the monitor itself it will hide the glow significantly (and just generally reduce eye strain period).

Poor black uniformity is not limited to IPS screens though, TNs and VAs can easily have it too.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Yeah, i don't feel bad about this IPS monitor any more than my last one because there is no slam dunk LCD technology.

Like TN doesn't even have a real world response time advantage anymore, so you're left with a panel that doesn't have IPS glow *specifically* but has even worse contrast and black uniformity and colors and viewing angles and backlight bleed and... etc., etc.

VA 27" 1440p144 panels barely exist and the genuinely good ones are like $600+, and VA has its own issues with ghosting and poo poo.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Best thing you can do to combat IPS glow is accent lighting. If whatever is around and behind the monitor is close to as bright as the monitor itself it will hide the glow significantly (and just generally reduce eye strain period).

I'd love to see a good example of this that I could copy.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
So what do i go with as someone also coming from 1080p 60fps max going to 1440p 144hz wanna spend lik 200 at most?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Saukkis posted:

For some people matching monitors are important, a coworker swapped monitors with other coworkers to get a pair of TN monitors with matching color. But personally I've never seen the need for that. I always used three different monitors with up to 10 years of difference in age. The monitors have different roles and so their requirements also differ significantly. Until january I had a 24" 1200p TN monitor as the main monitor, an ancient 15" 1024x768 for IRC screen and above them a 21" 1080p for YouTube. Currently I have a 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS gaming monitor as the main, a 27" 1440p 60Hz IPS to improved remote working uses and the same YT monitor. At work I've usually had three 24" 1200p monitors with one always in portrait mode.

22" 1080p is decent, but I'd consider it the minimum resolution and you should consider if one 1440p could provide benefit. Think about if you've had occasions where you would have liked a larger window, for example a large Excel sheet. A more extreme option could be an ultrawide monitor. Two narrower windows could be more optimal than two widescreen monitors.

Hmm, I was going to avoid 1440p just 'cause they'd need to be bigger and they're double (sometimes triple) the price. But I see a lot of people endorse them. It would be good to have 78% more surface area to work with. Maybe a 1440p flanked by 2x 1080p's is the way to go. Appreciate the food for thought!