Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

thebardyspoon posted:

So I got made redundant in August of last year because of covid stuff, since then I've been applying for stuff here and there when I see something I really want but now the gap on my CV is pretty big obviously. Is that something I should be worried about at this point or do people reckon that employers are going to understand that is probably a thing that's going to happen with how 2020 went?

Like in any other year I would have just been applying for whatever and gotten a random data entry job, probably would have taken up some volunteering or done a course or something but with all this I was only applying for stuff that was offering remote work because gently caress no I'm not going on a bus or train if I can at all avoid it and I was doing OK enough from that job to not have to worry about money too much (which I know makes me very lucky). Now I'm all self conscious and not sure whether I should address the gap on the CV or in cover letters and if I do address it, how.

I imagine employers should understand what 2020 looked like, but then employers are often arbitrary and bad, so :shrug:

Maybe don't draw attention to it in the cover letter by trying to explain it, but have a good line prepared for interviews? Was your whole sector doomed by the pandemic?

Also:

thebardyspoon posted:

So I got made redundant in August of last year because of covid stuff,

That's some impressive psychic power your old employer had :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/RedPeppermag/status/1343542222785019905?s=19

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Endjinneer posted:

If so, no problem. Recruiters are used to seeing gaps on CVs. Parenthood, sabbaticals, contractors between jobs. It's normal. Don't try to hide it. Put one line in saying something like "August 2020 - Present: Looking for next opportunity". If you've done anything worthy like caring for family members during the outbreak or learning a new skill definitely mention that too.

Cheers, I think my friend group also give me an unrealistic impression/vibe of finding jobs so I assume a gap is a failure on my part. They all seem to be very lucky and fall from one job to another whereas I always struggle like hell.

Bobstar posted:

That's some impressive psychic power your old employer had :v:

Haha, mentally I am already in 2021 clearly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Maugrim posted:

Well I was wondering what my MP would do in the Brexit vote and it seems she went against the whip and abstained (following the preference of a clear majority of her constituents) and therefore has resigned from the front bench. Principled!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-bill-keir-starmer-labour-resignations-b1780418.html

quote:

Keir Starmer has suffered resignations from his frontbench after MPs defied his order to vote for the Brexit trade bill.

Helen Hayes quit as a Cabinet Office spokeswoman, saying: “I can't vote for this damaging deal and have abstained today.”

Florence Eshalomi resigned as a whip, protesting: “This bill was rushed and a ‘no deal’ is the worst outcome for the country but I cannot support the bill.”

And Tonia Antoniazzi quit as an aide to the work and pensions team, while insisting she remained “wholly committed to electing a Labour government in 2024”.

In total, 36 Labour MPs are believed to have rebelled – almost one in five of the total – but with only one voting against the legislation, Streatham’s Bell Ribeiro-Addy.

Earlier, Jeremy Corbyn – who was ejected from the parliamentary party – said he would also abstain, and was joined by his leftwing ally Diane Abbott.

The revolt came as the Bill cleared the Commons with a thumping majority of 448, by 521 votes to 73, before heading to the House of Lords.

... etc....

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

:unsmith: My MP voted against. Get hosed Chuk.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Another 981 deaths and 50,000 cases today, Jesus Christ. I'm sure primary schools going back on Monday will all be fine.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Why would any other country agree to that, why would nationalists agree to that if they want indepdendence, why would any government want to spend their entire term doing that? And again, what would it gain them in the current electoral system to run on that platform?

At the risk of overthinking a Star Trek joke, because joining the Federation was better than independence. That’s the bar that needs to be cleared to retain links between Scotland and England; the proposed arrangements need to be clearly better than both the status quo and simple independence.

Of the topic of. better things being possible, the current legal definition of independent state under the UN and WTO Is one that has more room for improvement than most. See some of the work done by Kurdish nationalists on how the idea of the nation-state created by 19C liberals is no longer fit for purpose.

When faced with two groups with apparently conflicting desires, both of who’s support you need to win, one approach that has the possibility of success is to offer them a single thing that synthesizes both sides desires. Corbyn failed to do that with Brexit/Leave, no doubt Starmer will similarly fail with Scotland/England. But at least in theory it is an option he could take, although perhaps it would require him to be a different person.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thebardyspoon posted:

So I got made redundant in August of last year because of covid stuff, since then I've been applying for stuff here and there when I see something I really want but now the gap on my CV is pretty big obviously. Is that something I should be worried about at this point or do people reckon that employers are going to understand that is probably a thing that's going to happen with how 2020 went?

Like in any other year I would have just been applying for whatever and gotten a random data entry job, probably would have taken up some volunteering or done a course or something but with all this I was only applying for stuff that was offering remote work because gently caress no I'm not going on a bus or train if I can at all avoid it and I was doing OK enough from that job to not have to worry about money too much (which I know makes me very lucky). Now I'm all self conscious and not sure whether I should address the gap on the CV or in cover letters and if I do address it, how.

What others said + it's not too late to do a couple of free online short courses in things that interest you or might be work-relevant to put in the gap as well. I'm guessing some employers might want to see what you did with your time.

Unrelated:
if anyone fancies seeing out 2020 in a blaze of mince pie glory tomorrow night and lives near a Waitrose, ours has 6 'essential' mince pies for 25p, some slightly better ones at 6 for 37p and the Heston ones 6 for 50p. Also stollen bites and loads of brandy butter or brandy cream all on cheap.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

the Heston ones 6 for 50p.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'll give you my mince pies when you tear them from my cold, dead hands.

(Too late though, I scoffed them all already.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

radmonger posted:

At the risk of overthinking a Star Trek joke, because joining the Federation was better than independence. That’s the bar that needs to be cleared to retain links between Scotland and England; the proposed arrangements need to be clearly better than both the status quo and simple independence.

Of the topic of. better things being possible, the current legal definition of independent state under the UN and WTO Is one that has more room for improvement than most. See some of the work done by Kurdish nationalists on how the idea of the nation-state created by 19C liberals is no longer fit for purpose.

When faced with two groups with apparently conflicting desires, both of who’s support you need to win, one approach that has the possibility of success is to offer them a single thing that synthesizes both sides desires. Corbyn failed to do that with Brexit/Leave, no doubt Starmer will similarly fail with Scotland/England. But at least in theory it is an option he could take, although perhaps it would require him to be a different person.

If some people want to leave the UK and other people want to stay in the UK then I don't think "we will break up the UK but also you can't leave" is going to appeal to anybody. The corbyn brexit approach at the very least was attempting to create a justification for one of the outcomes due to a perceived illegitimacy of the original inciting referendum. The equivalent would be saying you're going to leave the EU and apply to become part of norway or some poo poo.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

thebardyspoon posted:

Cheers, I think my friend group also give me an unrealistic impression/vibe of finding jobs so I assume a gap is a failure on my part. They all seem to be very lucky and fall from one job to another whereas I always struggle like hell.

Haha, mentally I am already in 2021 clearly.

If you're super worried to the point of not applying for things without filling the gap with something then just lie. Keep your ears open for companies that have closed up or been really badly hit and just say you picked up some sort of job there before they permanently shut down and obviously you only had work related (now invalid) email and telephone contact information for them so they can't be contacted any more for references.

Alternatively list a real company and give a number for a mate who answers their phone for random callers to pretend they were your boss if your references get followed up on.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Just did a cycle to my new office in the West end (from the deep East side) of London and I am happy* to report that the American Candy store on Oxford Street is open today for all your Essential Services. Before anyone asks yes I was the only person in the office and I deemed it essential!

It's fairly busy on the streets considering nothing else is open except Mcdonald's & Boots.

(*Not that happy)

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

If you want independence then it makes sense to vote for the party that is single issue independence and keeps winning seats. Especially if you want to guarantee that labour is not going to renege on a commitment to it, because then the SNP has the ability to vote down all their stuff if they don't have a majority.

A weak UK government is good for the SNP and indpendence supporters, there is absolutely no situation where if you want independence you are better off voting for labour than the SNP, because the SNP gets you MPs in parliament that will support independence, there is no need to vote for a labour MP who might or might not stick to that unless you have other interests.

Labour could facilitate it with a majority, but forcing them into a coalition lends the SNP bloc far more power.

That's predicated on a Labour/SNP coalition being the only likely outcome of weak Labour majority though. That Goldilocks situation of just not quite a Labour majority could as easily lead to a coalition with the Lib Dems as the SNP. If you want independence you'd be better off voting for the party that promises a route to it, and has the capability to deliver.
That all said even absorbing all SNP constituencies Labour wouldn't have won in 2017 or 2019. 2015 is the last year it would have worked so I guess you'd need to promise a referendum and have the magic ingredient of Ed Milliband to make it work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The equivalent would be saying you're going to leave the EU and apply to become part of norway or some poo poo.
I'd vote for that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lol I sent an angry email to my MP about him voting for brexit after years of bashing Corbyn for being a brexiteer, and got a pretty incoherent angry response back 5 minutes later.

”Scotlands only Labour MP” posted:

Today’s cote wasn’t about Brexit at all. We left the EU last January.

Sorry you think voting for no deal was a better option.

Love your analysis though. I opposed Brexit to but Jeremy corbyn who supported Brexit but now you are accusing me of supporting Brexit it’s wrong.

I’m the most pro-European you will ever meet. My wife is french.

The snp voted to endorse a no deal today. Is that really the outcome you wanted.

I notice you omitted your address.

Ian Murray MP
Labour Member of Parliament for Edinburgh South
Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

marktheando posted:

Lol I sent an angry email to my MP about him voting for brexit after years of bashing Corbyn for being a brexiteer, and got a pretty incoherent angry response back 5 minutes later.

And Nigel Farage's wife is German...does this mean what I think it means?!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

quote:

Today’s cote wasn’t about Brexit at all.

:hmmyes:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Ian Murray can gently caress off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Endjinneer posted:

That's predicated on a Labour/SNP coalition being the only likely outcome of weak Labour majority though. That Goldilocks situation of just not quite a Labour majority could as easily lead to a coalition with the Lib Dems as the SNP.

You're not making sense. The SNP are likely to have north of 50 MPs in 2024 if they don't get an independence referendum after May's Scottish elections. The Lib Dems might muster 20, if they're really lucky, but are more likely to remain around half that. And that's before you consider that the Lib Dems aren't going to enter into coalition with Labour; they would rather force a Labour minority government to struggle and fail, so they can go back to their regular business of quietly propping up the Tories on everything except Europe.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

namesake posted:

If you're super worried to the point of not applying for things without filling the gap with something then just lie. Keep your ears open for companies that have closed up or been really badly hit and just say you picked up some sort of job there before they permanently shut down and obviously you only had work related (now invalid) email and telephone contact information for them so they can't be contacted any more for references.

Alternatively list a real company and give a number for a mate who answers their phone for random callers to pretend they were your boss if your references get followed up on.

I'd find it more credible to have a reference from two or three employers back, even in an unrelated field, than one from the previous job that strangely can't be contacted. Filling the gap with a lie usually works but in this case it would be safer to make it a virtuous lie that's unrelated to the job skills. Caring for relatives if you're applying for a job in bridge assessment. Bridge assessment if you're applying for a job as a carer, for example.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

marktheando posted:

Amazing that mps can send out poo poo like this. If you replied from literally any other professional account with that sort of tone or writing you’d be reprimanded heavily. Absolute shysters

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
More evidence that 'MP' isn't a profession.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jakabite posted:

Amazing that mps can send out poo poo like this. If you replied from literally any other professional account with that sort of tone or writing you’d be reprimanded heavily. Absolute shysters

It's not like Labour MP means anything in Scotland tbh.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

marktheando posted:

The correct response to this is "Lmao nice meltdown" and see what he says back.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Ian Murray can gently caress off.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

ask him about the time he nearly became one of the CUKTIGs

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

Do it coward

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

My local MP got a really nice cafe shut down below his flat because it was "too loud during the day"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if it weren't for the fact he was born in 1976 I'd strongly suggest you reply with "Ok boomer"

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Am absolutely tickled that after all these years of arguing in the pub with my oh so liberal economist friend, Corbyn voted against Brexit and his guy whipped the party for it.

Death is nothing compared to vindication.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Desiderata posted:

Am absolutely tickled that after all these years of arguing in the pub with my oh so liberal economist friend, Corbyn voted against Brexit and his guy whipped the party for it.

Death is nothing compared to vindication.

Going to my grave smug is all I ask.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

marktheando posted:

My favourite part is 'give me your address so we can fight, coward'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Endjinneer posted:

I'd find it more credible to have a reference from two or three employers back, even in an unrelated field, than one from the previous job that strangely can't be contacted. Filling the gap with a lie usually works but in this case it would be safer to make it a virtuous lie that's unrelated to the job skills. Caring for relatives if you're applying for a job in bridge assessment. Bridge assessment if you're applying for a job as a carer, for example.

References are a pain in the bum once you've been out of the job market for a while.

I came a cropper with the older references thing when I applied for a 'proper job' in 2017 - last full-time employment I was in was over 13 years ago.

I was given the contact details by the HR department for references and supplied them on my application. I had expected at least to get an interview for the job as I had about 90% of the requirements, but nothing but a 'sorry, no'.

It wasn't until this year when I applied for a volunteer post at the charity I'm doing website work for and supplied the same contact details, that the volunteers recruiter at the charity informed me that my former company had replied that they required 'wet signature' permission which I duly sent them and to cut a long and boring story short, was finally informed that they do not give references for people who left more than 6 years ago. (Thankfully the recruiter at the charity informed of this so I would know for future reference else I would have gone on blithely giving out the details with noone telling me that the relevant HR dept wasn't supplying them.)

I also spent 10 years in the NHS prior to that and a friend who currently works in the NHS informed me that they will not give references for people who left more than 5 years ago (though they did provide me with an email that gave my job title at the time I left and length of service). Not only that, but practically everyone I worked with in those jobs covering almost 20 years of my working life has retired and I have no contact details and many have actually died.

A pub I worked in for 3-4 months 4 years ago (just a few hours a week), the landlady died and there's noone there that remembers me and basically the covid restrictions etc, the pub has not opened since March and I heard on the grapevine the landlord (who was a complete lush) is selling up.

The chair of my local CLP who I did a lot of unpaid clp work up to January this year gave me a reference for the charity I've been doing some voluntary website work with and so now I should be able to use them for a future reference if necessary. But I have heard tell that some employers will not accept references from places where you worked voluntarily.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

You're not making sense. The SNP are likely to have north of 50 MPs in 2024 if they don't get an independence referendum after May's Scottish elections. The Lib Dems might muster 20, if they're really lucky, but are more likely to remain around half that. And that's before you consider that the Lib Dems aren't going to enter into coalition with Labour; they would rather force a Labour minority government to struggle and fail, so they can go back to their regular business of quietly propping up the Tories on everything except Europe.

Thanks. I was basing that point off 2019 results where there's 14 seats between the two parties. SNP look like they're going to clear up in Scotland in 2021.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The equivalent would be saying you're going to leave the EU and apply to become part of norway or some poo poo.

King Canute did nothing wrong.

(The alternate reality where Harald Hardrada won out is kind of an interesting one, tbh, we could all be chowing down on gravlax and lutefisk right now)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Milo_Edwards/status/1344321353097342983

Remember what I was saying about the problems of getting people safely to the centres was going to be the big challenge of the vaccination programme? Don't worry, I'm sure having elderly people with severe medical conditions queueing up outdoors in the middle of winter will be absolutely fine.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

CyberPingu posted:

Going to my grave smug is all I ask.

https://twitter.com/dril_gpt2/status/1344222197167091712?s=20

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Someone is going to die in one of these queues and Laura Kuensberg will tweet that the person who accompanied them is a Corbyn supporter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Jakabite posted:

Do it coward

Ok fine