Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Data Graham posted:

Before the prequels came out I would never in a million years have guessed that the Old Republic was something that had existed in fully empowered form just a generation ago. The way they all talked it sounded like the Jedi and the Republic were something that had been all but eradicated decades if not centuries ago, but still existed in hiding in remnant form, like feudal Japanese imperial institutions after WWII, or like Aragorn wandering in the woods as the heir to a centuries-dead kingdom.

"Oh so yeah the Empire is just the Republic except Palpatine who was a Senator passed the PATRIOT act" took longer for me to come to terms with than Jar-Jar did

What's really funny is that Han and that one Imperial treat the Jedi like some whacked out hippy bullshit when they would both have been very much alive while the Jedi were around and operating widely. Chewbacca even fought with them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I had always assumed the clone wars were about fighting Jedi clones.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
From what I remember everyone had to fight Boba Fett's dad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kdrudy posted:

I had always assumed the clone wars were about fighting Jedi clones.

I always assumed it was a war over cloning

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

CordlessPen posted:

Hey, what do you know, it's an actual study!

SCIENCE!

A study about a single experiment performed by the guy who wrote the paper and who also wrote a book on the subject. On the other side, according to this study, he managed to produce a million photons, so who knows what's the truth!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Same.

I was always disappointed by the Clone Wars.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Data Graham posted:

That would be like calling the Civil War the Slavery States' Rights War. Stupid!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Not an idiot, just popped up in my feed and seemed appropriate with the Star Wars chat

https://twitter.com/hateball_sa/status/1344377104788500485?s=20

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

christmas boots posted:

What's really funny is that Han and that one Imperial treat the Jedi like some whacked out hippy bullshit when they would both have been very much alive while the Jedi were around and operating widely. Chewbacca even fought with them!

By the time Ham was growing up the Empire had plenty of time to develop propaganda and revisionist history portraying the Jedi as deep state illuminati charlatans who unsuccessfully tried to assassinate Palpatine who was busy draining the swamp.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Soylent Pudding posted:

By the time Ham was growing up the Empire had plenty of time to develop propaganda and revisionist history portraying the Jedi as deep state illuminati charlatans who unsuccessfully tried to assassinate Palpatine who was busy draining the swamp.

So according to Wookiepedia he's about 13 by the time the Empire forms. So it's doable but the Empire would have really needed to hit the ground running.

Again though, Chewbacca literally fought alongside them during the war. He knew Yoda personally

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Here's a blast from the past. Haven't seen much about Laura Loomer here in a while (hard to be an IOSM when you're banned from almost all social media)

https://twitter.com/NYCAntifa/status/1344380529546850313?s=20

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

christmas boots posted:

So according to Wookiepedia he's about 13 by the time the Empire forms. So it's doable but the Empire would have really needed to hit the ground running.

Again though, Chewbacca literally fought alongside them during the war. He knew Yoda personally

Anti-wookiee racism, obviously. Few people bother to learn the wookiee language, and wookiees don't seem to be able to speak English Galactic Standard, though they can understand it, and most dismiss them as savage near-animals rather than the noble Space Sasquatches that they are.

Han should know better, though.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
IoSM: Ready Sportsball Player One, the Wookie Awakens (And Is Hungry For Chilli)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RoboRodent posted:

Same.

I was always disappointed by the Clone Wars.

I seem to remember a pre-prequels Star Wars comic book that I found in my campus coffee house once that had a storyline of the Emperor being kept alive for centuries by having his consciousness transplanted from one clone body into another, and THAT was what the "Clone Wars" were about once it became publicly known. That made perfect sense to me and was just the kind of thing I had been led to believe.

Then, well

"begun this World War I has"

"uhh what do you mean 'I'?"

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Dec 30, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/ConSelfOwns/status/1344072521906323462?s=20

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Not gonna lie (ngl), the NISSEHUE does it for me. Milo is quite the little nisse!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

christmas boots posted:

If I know my EU correctly, this implies that there was an Alderan that it was cloned from

:golfclap:

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I thought that was well done too.

Also, when it comes to the novels, I'm the right age to always read "Luuke" in a Clouseau accent.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

Anti-wookiee racism, obviously. Few people bother to learn the wookiee language, and wookiees don't seem to be able to speak English Galactic Standard, though they can understand it, and most dismiss them as savage near-animals rather than the noble Space Sasquatches that they are.

Han should know better, though.

Yeah. I think Han doesn't actually understand Chewie. He just talks to him like a dog.

And being 13 when the Empire formed, Han probably was posting on the 4chan equivalent in the Holonet so he probably ate up all the imperial fascist propaganda. No wonder he forgot about the Jedi.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was hoping Obi Wan was a bastardization of Obi One and he was a clone from the clone wars, but alas my hopes were dashed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was hoping Obi Wan was a bastardization of Obi One and he was a clone from the clone wars, but alas my hopes were dashed.

Wouldn't Obi One be the original non clone?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Skwirl posted:

That would just be Obi.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crowetron posted:

That would just be Obi.

Where does Obi Trice fit in then?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Assuming they only put one person in there at a time that's so much better than any American jail. Or is it a prison? Same thing if it's a prison.

For people who don't know the difference, or if it's different in your country, jail is where you go when you've been arrested but haven't been convicted of a crime, prison is where you go after you're convicted.

It’s the city watch house, so is used mostly post arrest before any court appearance. It’s right in the city centre and is mostly used to house drunks, fighters, fighting drunks from the nearby night clubs.

After a court appearance (arraignment?) people are either released on bail or sent to a remand centre/prison to await trial.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Arivia posted:

Where does Obi Trice fit in then?

real name no gimmicks

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Capt.Whorebags posted:

It’s the city watch house, so is used mostly post arrest before any court appearance. It’s right in the city centre and is mostly used to house drunks, fighters, fighting drunks from the nearby night clubs.

After a court appearance (arraignment?) people are either released on bail or sent to a remand centre/prison to await trial.

Way the gently caress nicer than where you end up after getting in a drunken brawl anywhere in America.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol yeah what next you're going to tell us in Europe they don't toss you in the Drunk Tank

which is just a barred cell with ten other guys and a concrete floor they can hose down

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Lol yeah what next you're going to tell us in Europe they don't toss you in the Drunk Tank

which is just a barred cell with ten other guys and a concrete floor they can hose down

And they keep the guy who spat at a bouncer in the same room as the guy they found holding a bloody knife over three dead bodies.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CordlessPen posted:

Hey, what do you know, it's an actual study!

SCIENCE!

From the highly esteemed journal, Subtle Energies & Energy Medicine.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Data Graham posted:

The ones I've been in are always class-sealed which I am sure is great in the age of covid.

I will say that, for all the poo poo white people get for being a bunch of useless heroin-addicted reprobates I've found them pretty reasonable. They usually get picked up earlier in the day and they understand their cycles so they will let people know that they are going to start kicking pretty hard at a certain time and that's usually +/- 1 hr accurate.

White nationalists remain a scourge since they lay down on the benches and take up space so by the end of the night people have to stand or sit on the urine soak floor.

I try to be nice to the people who are in for the first time. If you remember yours you'll remember being scared as poo poo. My favorite was when one of the Nazis woke up (or at least sat up) and told the kid he cried the first time he was in the tank. In retrospect, that may have been a recruitment pitch. Anyway, like half the time the kid tries to get the police involved since they think I'm being nice to them so I can rape them. Kid, it's a small cell. Nobody is raping anyone here unless it is to send a really public message and I'm not that guy. The scared kid ain't that guy either.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^^ If that was an Expanse reference I'm not sure how reassuring that sounds lmao

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Data Graham posted:

^^ If that was an Expanse reference I'm not sure how reassuring that sounds lmao

No. That's just my life. It's been about 6 years since I've been in the tank and I'm living in an area where I'm happily unaffiliated.

Though I have to imagine people in LA and ... Seattle? Have LK associations if not affiliations so they'd know the score. Probably other gangs too. It's not like these fraternal organizations are operated by brain trusts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Actually, it's because earlier in his life he was trying to find a new name for himself. He asked a friend, who told him "Oh, be Juan!"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually, it's because earlier in his life he was trying to find a new name for himself. He asked a friend, who told him "Oh, be Juan!"

booooooooooooooo

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
It's actually named for parts of a samurai's outfit.

The first train from Orange County leaving northwards is the accela Express leaving at 5:10. And I'll have a coke.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I remember my first time getting really arrested- I'd been in cuffs before, and after, but this was the only time I was run in- I was terrified. I knew enough about jail from watching docs and reading memoirs to not fall for obvious poo poo, but I'd never been inside. It sounds absurd, but I just fell back on what little training and a lot of reading I'd done on being a POW. Made me relax a little. But poo poo, it's scary- and I think the only tine I was REALLY on edge was at the Courthouse holding cell (where I was arrested, you get taken to the local station, then to the Courthouse for bail hearing, then to county), which was the single most disgusting room I've ever been in.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

It takes Obi Wan to know Obi Wan

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TontoCorazon posted:

It takes Obi Wan to knobi Wan

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Obi Zero, his parents were programmers.