Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

It's a little obnoxious how knowingly meta it is to be calling it the "plot point" and also how it supposedly hinges on Vriska again.

idk who or what "June" is tho
Hussie put on an ARG or something of that sort, with the prize being one thing the winner wants becoming canon. They wanted June Egbert to become canon, and she is basically a post-transition John. This is the first time the actual comic has really hinted that John (or Candy John, at any rate) might be transgender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm pleased we finally have an explanation of why the comic is still following the Candy Earth-C cast after Callie pchooed out of there. We haven't seen the Meat Earth-C cast since the most important characters in the strip went to space.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Pants Donkey posted:

Hussie put on an ARG or something of that sort, with the prize being one thing the winner wants becoming canon. They wanted June Egbert to become canon, and she is basically a post-transition John. This is the first time the actual comic has really hinted that John (or Candy John, at any rate) might be transgender.

page with the name source: https://www.homestuck.com/story/2653

also this reddit post has a pretty good rundown with more actual details and links but its worth noting that the arg is that andrew hid some wish granting toblerones in a cave bc Lmao

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
John suddenly coming out as trans this late into the story seems... odd. I more or less bought it when Roxy did it because you don't spend much time inside her head but John's the freakin' protagonist and if body dysphoria was an issue for him you'd think it would have come up by now. Though I suppose given the nature of Homestuck it could be an alternate timeline version of him which would be fine I guess.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

readingatwork posted:

John suddenly coming out as trans this late into the story seems... odd. I more or less bought it when Roxy did it because you don't spend much time inside her head but John's the freakin' protagonist and if body dysphoria was an issue for him you'd think it would have come up by now. Though I suppose given the nature of Homestuck it could be an alternate timeline version of him which would be fine I guess.

A lot of the stuff from the beginning where John is having mellifluous-but-nonspecific musings about mysterious musicians feel like they probably line up with various egg feelings, although I'm 100% sure they weren't intended as such at the time.

Plus you can be trans and not have body dysphoria, although I am nothing like an expert on trans issues.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I know quite a few folks who didn't transition until their 30's or later, you can be fundamentally unhappy with yourself but not recognise it as a gender thing for a long time.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rand Brittain posted:

A lot of the stuff from the beginning where John is having mellifluous-but-nonspecific musings about mysterious musicians

What

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

https://www.homestuck.com/story/82

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Jesus christ

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Lol I want it to happen from my perch in the following by proxy seats, but it 100% has no reasonable basis

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

readingatwork posted:

I'm trans and yeah it's extremely not always that simple. theres so little representation for the incredibly common experience of not loving knowing for decades of your life and must being vaguely miserable until you figure it out. this shits hard and a lot of the time it's more complicated than always knowing, even if sometimes there were clues when you look back

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My 20s were a trainwreck of trying to bruteforce college in spite of my issues, and it was only after transitioning in my 30s that I got my poo poo together. And yeah, in retrospect you do see some signs that seem obvious.

Here, however, Roxy just abruptly brings up gender stuff which comes out of left field.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Lol that it leaves john speechless too. And that students name? Albert einstein.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Pants Donkey posted:

Hussie put on an ARG or something of that sort, with the prize being one thing the winner wants becoming canon. They wanted June Egbert to become canon, and she is basically a post-transition John.

Not quite

The first person who found one of Hussie's toblerones jokingly declared herself the new author of Homestuck and decreed that June was canon. Hussie replied saying "It will be done". Prior to this reply, there was no conceit of the toblerones granting wishes.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

ArfJason posted:

Jesus christ

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My boyfriend and I are reading through Original Homestuck together from the beginning, for the first time for him, and wow I'd somehow forgotten how good it was back then, especially taken slowly and read through fresh eyes. His dad was a programmer back in the '80s-'90s and always went on at length about tree structures, so he's delighted by Rose's sylladex in particular and insists the whole comic is a portrayal of someone trying to install an OS on their computer, which I admit is not too far off. Then he tells me he bought his dad the first book for Christmas. I asked if he was sure, because it gets real weird, and he insisted his dad would love it.

Later, when reading I believe when Dave reverse-trolls Tavros, he started laughing and said "I bought this for my dad." His boomer dad. It's pretty great.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Torgover posted:

Later, when reading I believe when Dave reverse-trolls Tavros, he started laughing and said "I bought this for my dad." His boomer dad. It's pretty great.

that sequence is one of the funniest things ive ever read in any media

we are entrenched in this poo poo, now wriggle your rear end off that muddy embankment before charlie gets the loving drop

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The HS2 Patreon announced they're going on hiatus and planning on rejiggering the tiers and bonuses. Will update you if they say anything more on the Patreon.

I suspect asking people for $20/month wasn't sustainable.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

that sequence is one of the funniest things ive ever read in any media

we are entrenched in this poo poo, now wriggle your rear end off that muddy embankment before charlie gets the loving drop
That and Dave’s chat with Equius are easily the top chats in Homestuck

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
on that note the chat where John impersonates Rose at Kanaya like "uh yes hello i know a lot of words" and Kanaya replies like "I Feel I Have Been Overhyped" is also pure gold

a lot of act 4 is fantastic, probably the pinnacle of the writing in the whole franchise

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Karkat's argument with himself across time is executed so flawlessly its almost scary. Like the way it intertwines with itself and it manages to make sense once youve read it teoce is nothing short of incredible and impressive

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ArfJason posted:

Karkat's argument with himself across time is executed so flawlessly its almost scary. Like the way it intertwines with itself and it manages to make sense once youve read it teoce is nothing short of incredible and impressive
I really think Karkat has been done the worst by the writing in HS2 because there is no replicating his inaugural rant at john, that hed probably been working on for a while, getting responded to with "oh, hey karkat!"

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
im still stunned at how bad the writing is now in contrast to that heyday

like it was slipping in act 6 onwards but this was just awful, a weekend at bernies comic

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hey all, long time no post. Just swinging by to ask a Hiveswap Act 2 question I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere else regarding the train station tickets and the trial.

So early in the game, you can either get two real train tickets, or just one and then trade them and the pogs for two fake train tickets. It turns out you need the pogs to get the best outcome in the trial that takes place half-way through the train, but in order to get both real tickets you need to betray Chixie's trust by telling Elwurd about her plans.

This really upsets Xefros, and he has a separate conversation with Joey about how it was wrong and dangerous to blab about things like that. Does this have consequences later? I liked the outcome where you talk things through with Chixie instead of spilling to Elwurd better, but I'm willing to go back and redo that puzzle to get a better outcome in the trial, but I'm hoping that doesn't end up screwing something else up later.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dolash posted:

Hey all, long time no post. Just swinging by to ask a Hiveswap Act 2 question I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere else regarding the train station tickets and the trial.

So early in the game, you can either get two real train tickets, or just one and then trade them and the pogs for two fake train tickets. It turns out you need the pogs to get the best outcome in the trial that takes place half-way through the train, but in order to get both real tickets you need to betray Chixie's trust by telling Elwurd about her plans.

This really upsets Xefros, and he has a separate conversation with Joey about how it was wrong and dangerous to blab about things like that. Does this have consequences later? I liked the outcome where you talk things through with Chixie instead of spilling to Elwurd better, but I'm willing to go back and redo that puzzle to get a better outcome in the trial, but I'm hoping that doesn't end up screwing something else up later.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it!

It actually has positive consequences, you need too real tickets and those pogs to solve a crime later. Although you miss out on more Chixie dialogue and more charitorization for Dammek.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The HS2 Patreon announced they're going on hiatus and planning on rejiggering the tiers and bonuses. Will update you if they say anything more on the Patreon.

I suspect asking people for $20/month wasn't sustainable.

Especially not during a plague that directly effects people's employment status. Like, I can't speak for everyone, but times have been pretty tough over the past few months.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It actually has positive consequences, you need too real tickets and those pogs to solve a crime later. Although you miss out on more Chixie dialogue and more charitorization for Dammek.

Thanks! Just to clarify, though - the characterization for Dammek and the Chixie dialogue are just the bits from the alternate solution to the train ticket puzzle, right? Like there's not going to be another quest 80% of the way through Act 2 where you can only get the good outcome if you didn't betray Chixie's trust?

I'm only checking because the extra dialogue Joey has with Xefros if you sell Chixie out to Elwurd seems to strongly imply that you did a bad thing, while the dialogue where you give Chixie the microphone and talk her out of being the masked singer just seems generally better for everyone. It's kind of a weirdly opaque decision for the player to prioritize your inventory of puzzle-solving items over the situation in front of you.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Wait you can actually solve the crime on the jadeblood car!? I have mixed feelings about this. I really like the statement that convicting the wrong person makes about both troll society and the liberal PMC mindset regarding reform. You being able to do justice good kind of ruins that.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
On a whim I read through the Midnight Crew intermission, and man, what a great thing that all was.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dolash posted:

Thanks! Just to clarify, though - the characterization for Dammek and the Chixie dialogue are just the bits from the alternate solution to the train ticket puzzle, right? Like there's not going to be another quest 80% of the way through Act 2 where you can only get the good outcome if you didn't betray Chixie's trust?

I'm only checking because the extra dialogue Joey has with Xefros if you sell Chixie out to Elwurd seems to strongly imply that you did a bad thing, while the dialogue where you give Chixie the microphone and talk her out of being the masked singer just seems generally better for everyone. It's kind of a weirdly opaque decision for the player to prioritize your inventory of puzzle-solving items over the situation in front of you.

Yeah, Hiveswap suffers from bad and unintuitive game design at certain points and that's one of them.

readingatwork posted:

Wait you can actually solve the crime on the jadeblood car!? I have mixed feelings about this. I really like the statement that convicting the wrong person makes about both troll society and the liberal PMC mindset regarding reform. You being able to do justice good kind of ruins that.

Yes, there are multiple ways to solve the crime in the jadeblood car, and including a way in which no one dies.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yeah, Hiveswap suffers from bad and unintuitive game design at certain points and that's one of them.

What really got me was going back and forth in the first cave to find something relevant. Eventually I heard that they'd cut the actual trolls for that scene, so there were a lot of objects that had no use.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fancy Hat! posted:

On a whim I read through the Midnight Crew intermission, and man, what a great thing that all was.

I want a Midnight Crew adventure game way more than I ever wanted a Homestuck game.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Argh, this Hiveswap Act 2 bug right near the end! I've been waiting to find the Lusus Medicine for Strella this whole time, and when I got sent all the way back there to pick up the faygo for the clowns I assumed that'd tie in, but instead Joey just gave the "sorry I didn't do your sidequest" dialogue. Then I look it up and apparently due to a bug you have to use the first aid kit on Skylla before you leave the lowblood train car for the first time or else it won't register?

I really don't want to have to redo 80% of the game, does anyone know if helping Skylla is important to solving something else? It feels like it could play into solving the "kill a clown" quest the same way that, say, solving the trial without killing the anime nerd helped with the "kill a teal" quest. If it's just a nice thing to do for Skylla I can do that on an old save just to see it.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
You can still finish the game without giving her the medicine.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it didn't make a difference. It was a good game, though! I enjoyed it, felt very Homestuck, and I'm especially enjoying the expanding on and fleshing out of Alternia. I'm down for all this class analysis and conflict, the train was basically that old political cartoon of the class layer cake "we rule you/we fool you/we shoot you" thing. Alternatively it's Troll Snowpiercer.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I just discovered the new stuff and holy poo poo its bad. Its like bad fanfiction of itself. Is this an intentional thing because Hussie is an eternal troll and specifically hates his own audience, or is it an earnest attempt that just sucks?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

I just discovered the new stuff and holy poo poo its bad. Its like bad fanfiction of itself. Is this an intentional thing because Hussie is an eternal troll and specifically hates his own audience, or is it an earnest attempt that just sucks?
It's not Hussie-written. It's by a new team who, yes, include fic writers. I like it, but it isn't Hussie.

Hussie has announced a new project of his own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjT1vn3vCwk

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The epilogues being pretty good and Homestuck^2 not reading right made me appreciate Hussie's writing more. I'm interested in seeing him write something that isn't heavily bogged down by existing lore

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's not Hussie-written. It's by a new team who, yes, include fic writers. I like it, but it isn't Hussie.

Hussie has announced a new project of his own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjT1vn3vCwk

The stupid poo poo with Hideo Kojima in that trailer is precisely what I miss from Hussie's writing. The entire build up is a joke so terrible that it wraps around to being hilarious. I feel that kind of recklessness is what's missing from The Later Chapters & ^2.

Which I suppose is a roundabout way of saying Hussie is terrible at wrapping things up in character driven work (Problem Sleuth wrapping up neatly because the characters are basically 1-Dimensional), but the ride up until then is always wonderful.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah. I still kinda like HS2, but it's def not great.

I love the Epilogues though, they are A R T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Disparaging Homestuck^2 by calling it fanfic, like as if fan content were obviously inferior, kinda doesn't work given that the fan edit of Dirk's annotated Pony Pals is better than anything Hussie has done.