Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Chomskyan posted:

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1343740924937924615?s=21

The Chinese and British state propaganda organs are fighting

The BBC always keeps middle aged Chengguan busy it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chomskyan posted:

I think that’s the right thing to do, but I don’t think that would solve China’s propaganda problem, which is larger than Xinjiang and has more to do with its relationship with the west

i agree, keep them in the camps to show the bbc who is the loving boss

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

i agree, keep them in the camps to show the bbc who is the loving boss

Yeah, that’s definitely what I said

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

indigi posted:

what’s the stand up or improv comedy scene in China like? is there one

um idk too much because im not that in to comedy. i went to an english language improv comedy thing last month, the performers were a mixture of american, english, and chinese. it was alright but i dont know how to judge that well because im not into that stuff much. it looks like improv comedy stuff in the american style but speaking chinese exists too but i cant speak to it. stand up i have no idea but ive seen advertisements for open mics and have never gone. also they have that crosstalk stuff mentioned above but it relies largely on wordplay that goes over my head

LimburgLimbo posted:

When will you become a functional adult in China

my target is late 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mila kunis posted:

lol

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/other/why-chinese-youngsters-are-embracing-a-culture-of-slacking-off/ar-BB1cj69m

'Shanghai-based Clarisse Zhang is one of the youngsters who feels they have missed out on a golden period, when simply working hard could mean a ticket to a better life. The coder, who asked to use a pseudonym, has become an enthusiastic convert to the touching fish philosophy. She now arrives at work after 10am, and leaves the office at 11.30 to have lunch, which could last over three hours. “Sometimes I put fake appointments on my calendar in case anyone asks for me,” she told Quartz. She will also go have a nap or read books in her car, which is parked near the office, when she doesn’t feel like working.

'“‘The ‘touching fish’ trend is tied up closely with intensifying involution in China,” says Zhang, who works at a listed Chinese internet company. “People who have the capacity to compete are using all their strength to squeeze out rivals, while people like me, who don’t have that kind of energy, chose to lie down and be happy losers,” she says.'

that owns

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bro Dad posted:

they have crosstalk, which is a bunch of carefully rehearsed who's on first style routines that old people fuckin love

always the worst part of the new year's gala too

Al-Saqr posted:

funnily enough one of the biggest stars china ever had in this field is a Canadian who goes by the name 'Dashan'. he's still an active comedian until today.
yeah i asked someone about him and he was like "yeah he's popular with old people." it's like abbott and costello. but that film is good and i've probably posted it several times because he shows a glimpse of china in the 90s when what he was doing was pretty novel, and he's a foreigner who respects the people there.... which a lot of expats don't seem to do, preferring to sit in their bubble moaning about stuff.

he seemed like he started shifting into standup comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbR_3snPxrw

also since my chinese now only comprises about a dozen words, i noticed he's joking about being called 老外 around 2:00... i think. also screws with the audience with a tongue twister at the end

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Dec 30, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1344358845053714433?s=19

EU gets:

No joint-venture requirements in financial services and phases them out in the automobile sector.

Access in markets for health services, cloud computing and electric vehicles, and lifts monopoly rights for auxiliary air-transport services.

Pledge that state-owned enterprises won’t discriminate between European and Chinese firms.

Some toothless environmental and labor language.

China gets:

Greater access to some EU manufacturing sectors and to the EU's energy industry.

Chinese access to the EU renewables sector can increase as China lifts its barriers to European investment.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It makes sense for both sides, China really doesn't need to be as protective of its domestic industries as it once it did, and now Chinese industries are competitive, European investment following into them isn't a big deal. It sounds like private domestic firms being "encouraged" to invest in state enterprises might be a way to get around the subsidy clause.

In return, China gets more market access and ties the European market to the BRI even further.

The real loser is a certain other unnamed country.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Dec 30, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1344358845053714433?s=19

EU gets:

No joint-venture requirements in financial services and phases them out in the automobile sector.

Access in markets for health services, cloud computing and electric vehicles, and lifts monopoly rights for auxiliary air-transport services.

Pledge that state-owned enterprises won’t discriminate between European and Chinese firms.

Some toothless environmental and labor language.

China gets:

Greater access to some EU manufacturing sectors and to the EU's energy industry.

Chinese access to the EU renewables sector can increase as China lifts its barriers to European investment.

lol oh yeah i'm sure airbus is going to really just break into that market

seems like the EU is getting washed here, lots of promises that can be broken easily for market access, which can't

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1344302667473051649?s=21

Stoller is having a normal one

e:

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1344304706458423298

Red and Black has issued a correction as of 22:19 on Dec 30, 2020

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

OhFunny posted:

what does this mean

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

what does this mean

Currently to sell a car in China you have to either import it and pay a tariff or manufacture it locally. In order to manufacturer locally you have to enter into a maximum 50/50 joint venture with a domestic company. There are also policy limitations on how many joint ventures you can have. Eliminating this will mean carmakers can just set up wholly owned local manufacturing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

as a liberal i'm against command economies and in favor of free trade. if we just let each actor pursue their individual advantage in a marketplace that does nothing but enforce legal contracts i'm sure we'll arrive at the best of possible worlds. nooo not like that!!! stop!!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Chinese EV is already competitive against Tesla, which is made inside China. It make sense to open this market to EU too. In return China's new energy companies have a lot of opportunities.

Also interesting China promises SOE won't discriminate against EU companies. Which means they will still freely discriminate against other countries.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Dec 30, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i was listening to bidens incoming national security advisor just this loving morning talk about how the new good china policy will also be bullying china but more competently since theyll get the europeans involved

so is this deal actually relevant in that context or is bidens extremely vague new china policy just intended for domestic consumption and not something theyre actually bothering to communicate to the europeans

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

i was listening to bidens incoming national security advisor just this loving morning talk about how the new good china policy will also be bullying china but more competently since theyll get the europeans involved

so is this deal actually relevant in that context or is bidens extremely vague new china policy just intended for domestic consumption and not something theyre actually bothering to communicate to the europeans

They assumed that the Europeans would/will just buckle under and everything would reset to the Obama-era.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Ardennes posted:

They assumed that the Europeans would/will just buckle under and everything would reset to the Obama-era.

biden is gonna fly around to quad countries, and people will publicly complain about china, but the underlying structural forces are too powerful to disentangle and international capital needs china more than china needs international capital now

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

If China aligns with Europe then America will have to align with Russia

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The EU is not going to help the US against China any more than paying lip service if Biden doesn't give 1) Nordstream2 to the Germans and 2) IT tax to French.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

PawParole posted:

If China aligns with Europe then America will have to align with Russia

Yeah, that is pretty much out of the question, not only are Russian-American relations dire but Russia is carrying a significant trade surplus with China. Also, the EU is signalling with Nordstream 2 that it isn't going to back serious new sanctions against Russia.

So.... it is pretty much just India.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

trump half-heartedly and incompetently tried to do rapproachment with Russia to balance against China but the dems and the natsec state weren't having any of it.

now it is maximalist do incompetent color revolutions and hope the clock goes back to 1991. The US doesn't and really never had the capability to press China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, Venezuela, and Syria all at the same time as hard as possible and have any sort of success

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

I am laughing hysterically because one of my beliefs has always been that any bullshit saber-rattling concerning China is only as effective as the US's belief that Europe will show up if it needs them to.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KaptainKrunk posted:

trump half-heartedly and incompetently tried to do rapproachment with Russia to balance against China but the dems and the natsec state weren't having any of it.

now it is maximalist do incompetent color revolutions and hope the clock goes back to 1991. The US doesn't and really never had the capability to press China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, Venezuela, and Syria all at the same time as hard as possible and have any sort of success

Putin knows that Russia's future really is going to more than anything depend on balancing the EU and China and Russia acting as a conduit for trade and energy, the US really doesn't figure into that plan beyond being an impediment. He was fine with glad-handing Trump but the reality was that Washington's policy versus Russia never shifted and a rapprochement isn't possible because the US refuses to compromise in any sense. Unlike China in the 1970s, Russia isn't under the same economic pressures and now China has the cash to buy Russian resources to offset any American moves.

Basically, the US is stuck now trying to fight on all fronts, and thereby, slowing losing on all of them. The fact that the Pacific fleet already is being stretched past its capacity is not a good sign.

Then you have India, if it isn't clear, has some pretty massive domestic issues at the moment.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Dec 31, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

dont worry president biden is on the case and has exactly the plan we need to solve that problem once and for all

build boats back better

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I have no idea who any of these people are, I assume they are all professional twitter comedians, but I am 100% sold on the idea that Barack Obama, a private citizen in 2017 at the time of the French Presidential election, brought about the downfall of Pax Americana because he endorsed Macron instead of Marine LePen?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Chinese EV is already competitive against Tesla, which is made inside China. It make sense to open this market to EU too. In return China's new energy companies have a lot of opportunities.

Also interesting China promises SOE won't discriminate against EU companies. Which means they will still freely discriminate against other countries.

hopefully they'll still discriminate against EU companies

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, that is pretty much out of the question, not only are Russian-American relations dire but Russia is carrying a significant trade surplus with China. Also, the EU is signalling with Nordstream 2 that it isn't going to back serious new sanctions against Russia.

So.... it is pretty much just India.

what about japan?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Japan is a part of RCEP and China is their largest trading partner.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
didn't stop them from joining the quad epic hero avengers or whatever the gently caress

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mila kunis posted:

didn't stop them from joining the quad epic hero avengers or whatever the gently caress

Yeah, but lets be honest, Japan doesn't have a huge amount of options here especially considering their demographic and fiscal situation. The US-Japanese security arrangement is going to stay, but they really do need to seriously trade with China. Otherwise, Australia and New Zealand don't factor in the equation very much and Taiwan is pinned.

I do think Modi's liberalization of Indian agriculture is aimed at better trade relations with the US but it clearly isn't going over well.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

Putin knows that Russia's future really is going to more than anything depend on balancing the EU and China and Russia acting as a conduit for trade and energy, the US really doesn't figure into that plan beyond being an impediment. He was fine with glad-handing Trump but the reality was that Washington's policy versus Russia never shifted and a rapprochement isn't possible because the US refuses to compromise in any sense. Unlike China in the 1970s, Russia isn't under the same economic pressures and now China has the cash to buy Russian resources to offset any American moves.

Basically, the US is stuck now trying to fight on all fronts, and thereby, slowing losing on all of them. The fact that the Pacific fleet already is being stretched past its capacity is not a good sign.

Then you have India, if it isn't clear, has some pretty massive domestic issues at the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRq1Ksh-32g

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
CCP kinda figured Japan/LDP out, basically Japan will still keep their hostility against China year after year (see annual like/dislike survey and Japan's pro active role in the Quad) but Japan will not slow down trade integration in the Asia ecosphere. That's why China no longer talk nice to Japan diplomatically. Wang Yi was in Japan and he just straight up said Diaoyu Island belongs to China while in Japan, and the coast guard fleet still circled the island during his visit. This is basically China version of Abe visited the shrine immidiately after him stepping down.

To sum it up Japan keeps the business going but carry the dagger all the time. And China knows it and has no plan to improve this relationship dynamic. Given the tight corner Japan is in right now, I think this strategy is best for the medium term. I really don't think the upcoming Olympic can revive their economic even if it not cancelled. I think in the last few years Japan has managed the Sino-Japan relationship very professionally, only plotting devious deeds against China geopolitically but ever directly offened the Chinese people. This is something Taiwan and Australia should learn from.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1344414311540637696?s=19

lol wasn't there also-uncorroborated intel on Russia doing this exact thing not a month or two ago

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Echinanews/status/1344477619576655874

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Protagorean posted:

lol wasn't there also-uncorroborated intel on Russia doing this exact thing not a month or two ago

yes. it didn't work the first time so they're trying again

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

gradenko_2000 posted:

yes. it didn't work the first time so they're trying again

Has the American public indicated in the last decade that it gives more than a fractional gently caress about small numbers of dead American soldiers? Why do they think this will get any traction with a public that's not interested?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

John_A_Tallon posted:

Has the American public indicated in the last decade that it gives more than a fractional gently caress about small numbers of dead American soldiers? Why do they think this will get any traction with a public that's not interested?

It's kinda funny because the post-Vietnam takeaway was that "the American public will not give a gently caress about how many wars you get into as long as they don't see the bodies on the evening news" so the corporatist media got co-opted into only portraying the America's wars in a positive light, and it worked really well, for that specific purpose.

And then now they want to make the public care about American soldiers getting merked, either to own Trump and/or to escalate tensions with Russia/China, and it's not working because the prior project was so successful!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Protagorean posted:

lol irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
*TRMUP thinking harder than he ever has in his life to get Americans mad at China*

*scribbling out "Russia" from old dubious intelligence brief with a Sharpie and writing "CHINA!" above it*