Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I do not even season my pans tbqh. Factory is fine.. Some people get real anal but I think most failures are just a lack of fat when cooking at first.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but... I want to make shepard's pie out of leftover xmas ham! I make dope mashed potatoes but need a recipe for the gravy + veggie innards to mix the ham into. Anyone have a fav recipe they care to share? TIA!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Swineherd’s Pie?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Yes exactly

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

black.lion posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but... I want to make shepard's pie out of leftover xmas ham! I make dope mashed potatoes but need a recipe for the gravy + veggie innards to mix the ham into. Anyone have a fav recipe they care to share? TIA!

So "Shepards Pie" is a slightly different animal that starts with raw ground lamb (or beef), and the method for making the gravy's going to be different compared to what you want to do. But there's a whole family of "Meat, Vegetables, and Gravy covered by Mashed Potatoes" baked casseroles. Here's what I'd do:

12" skillet
9x12" baking dish

1lb (500g) ham, cut lean and chopped
1lb (500g) bag of frozen peas and carrots, thawed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/2lb (250g) sliced crimini mushrooms (optional)
1 tsp flaked red pepper
1 Tbs vegetable oil or lard

1/4 lb (125g) of ham fat or drippings, (or whatever you got, plus enough butter to get 1/4lb)
1/2 can (150ml) of lager or stout beer (I use something with light hops, but if you want to use an IPA and get a bitter gravy, knock yourself out)
1/4 lb (125g) of AP flour, plus a few tablespoons for final thickening.
2 cups (500ml) of whole milk
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp thyme
Salt to taste

Mashed Potatoes

In a skillet, toss in the ham, red pepper, and onion with a little drizzle of vegetable oil or lard, and sautee until the onions start to clarify. Then add in the mushrooms and garlic, and sautee until they just start to soften. Then toss in the thawed peas and carrots and mix everything together until it's evenly mixed. If you're doing this in cast iron, you can just leave it in the skillet, otherwise transfer it to the baking dish.

Now, to make the gravy, put the fat trimmings and beer into a medium saucepan with and render it down until the fat is mostly liquid. If you didn't have much ham fat, you can add some butter to get your quarter pound. Once it's liquid, whisk the flour into the fat, and keep whisking to make a roux (NEVER STOP WHISKING OR IT WILL BURN). You'll want to whisk until it's just a little lighter than the color of peanut butter. Now add the milk and seasonings, and whisk until everything is well incorporated and it starts to thicken slightly. If it starts to simmer, but isn't thickening, whisk in a little flour, 1Tbs at a time, until it does. At the very end, add a little salt to taste. You're starting with ham fat and drippings which should be pretty salty to begin with, so wait to the end so you don't overdo it.

Pour the gravy over the meat and veggies, and spread your mashed potatoes on top.

Bake at 400f, or whatever the corresponding metric temp is for at least 30 minutes. If the peaks on your mashed potatoes have started to brown up, then it's ready to go, if not let it go until they do.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 30, 2020

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I made a butterscotch schnapps-like thing on a whim the other day (using this recipe) and it came out great except for some suspended milk solids. I tried to filter them out with a pourover cone but the liquid would not move through it at all. I tried a chinois and it didn't really catch anything. What is the right thing to strain this mixture with? Would cheesecloth have had an easier time than the coffee filter?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Corla Plankun posted:

I made a butterscotch schnapps-like thing on a whim the other day (using this recipe) and it came out great except for some suspended milk solids. I tried to filter them out with a pourover cone but the liquid would not move through it at all. I tried a chinois and it didn't really catch anything. What is the right thing to strain this mixture with? Would cheesecloth have had an easier time than the coffee filter?
I dunno about your homemade hooch but a cheesecloth is the best thing for removing floating milk solids from ghee, and works waaaaay better than a coffee filter.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For what it's worth, I made a couple shepherd's pie adjacent things recently, and I found that about a cup of liquid was about right for my 9" pyrex pie dish. That dish is on the shorter side though. I think that's approximately close to the recipe posted above. You can also do stock (chicken or whatever you have around) if you'd rather. I did a bit more of a simplified version where I fried up whatever I was using with some onions and carrots. Once they were well-fried and browned I tossed in some garlic and a bit of extra oil. Then I added a tablespoon of butter and mixed a tablespoon of flour into the butter in the pan. Then just did a quick cooking of the filling/flour/butter mixture and added some wine and some stock. Season with salt/herbs/spices (I thought thyme worked well for me), let it cook a bit, put it into my pie plate, covered with mashed potatoes, and baked for a while. Since I didn't cook the roux all that much I only needed a tbsp of butter/flour.

I'm not sure what to call the pies I made. One had mushrooms and the other one leftover Christmas seitan, both with some veggie stock. I was out of peas unfortunately, but fresh carrots are a nice addition if you can get them cooked well enough.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Weltlich posted:

So "Shepards Pie" is a slightly different animal that starts with raw ground lamb (or beef), and the method for making the gravy's going to be different compared to what you want to do. But there's a whole family of "Meat, Vegetables, and Gravy covered by Mashed Potatoes" baked casseroles. Here's what I'd do:

12" skillet
9x12" baking dish

1lb (500g) ham, cut lean and chopped
1lb (500g) bag of frozen peas and carrots, thawed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/2lb (250g) sliced crimini mushrooms (optional)
1 tsp flaked red pepper
1 Tbs vegetable oil or lard

1/4 lb (125g) of ham fat or drippings, (or whatever you got, plus enough butter to get 1/4lb)
1/2 can (150ml) of lager or stout beer (I use something with light hops, but if you want to use an IPA and get a bitter gravy, knock yourself out)
1/4 lb (125g) of AP flour, plus a few tablespoons for final thickening.
2 cups (500ml) of whole milk
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp thyme

Mashed Potatoes

In a skillet, toss in the ham, red pepper, and onion with a little drizzle of vegetable oil or lard, and sautee until the onions start to clarify. Then add in the mushrooms and garlic, and sautee until they just start to soften. Then toss in the thawed peas and carrots and mix everything together until it's evenly mixed. If you're doing this in cast iron, you can just leave it in the skillet, otherwise transfer it to the baking dish.

Now, to make the gravy, put the fat trimmings and beer into a medium saucepan with and render it down until the fat is mostly liquid. If you didn't have much ham fat, you can add some butter to get your quarter pound. Once it's liquid, whisk the flour into the fat, and keep whisking to make a roux (NEVER STOP WHISKING OR IT WILL BURN). You'll want to whisk until it's just a little lighter than the color of peanut butter. Now add the milk and seasonings, and whisk until everything is well incorporated and it starts to thicken slightly. If it starts to simmer, but isn't thickening, whisk in a little flour, 1Tbs at a time, until it does.

Pour the gravy over the meat and veggies, and spread your mashed potatoes on top.

Bake at 400f, or whatever the corresponding metric temp is for at least 30 minutes. If the peaks on your mashed potatoes have started to brown up, then it's ready to go, if not let it go until they do.

A good post. I'll try something like this later this week!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

A good post. I'll try something like this later this week!

I forgot that at the very end of making the gravy, you may need to add a little salt. Ham fat should be pretty salty to start with, but give it a taste and add a pinch or two if it needs it.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Eeyo posted:

For what it's worth, I made a couple shepherd's pie adjacent things recently, and I found that about a cup of liquid was about right for my 9" pyrex pie dish. That dish is on the shorter side though. I think that's approximately close to the recipe posted above. You can also do stock (chicken or whatever you have around) if you'd rather. I did a bit more of a simplified version where I fried up whatever I was using with some onions and carrots. Once they were well-fried and browned I tossed in some garlic and a bit of extra oil. Then I added a tablespoon of butter and mixed a tablespoon of flour into the butter in the pan. Then just did a quick cooking of the filling/flour/butter mixture and added some wine and some stock. Season with salt/herbs/spices (I thought thyme worked well for me), let it cook a bit, put it into my pie plate, covered with mashed potatoes, and baked for a while. Since I didn't cook the roux all that much I only needed a tbsp of butter/flour.

I'm not sure what to call the pies I made. One had mushrooms and the other one leftover Christmas seitan, both with some veggie stock. I was out of peas unfortunately, but fresh carrots are a nice addition if you can get them cooked well enough.

Yeah, if you're using a 9" round pie dish, then you'd want to cut my recipe in half. That recipe is what I use for a 12" cast iron skillet, but I've occasionally put it in a 9x12" rectangular deep dish casserole dish.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hi goons. Recommendations for a countertop convection oven? I was tempted by the allure of air fryers but it seems like they don't really do anything all that differently from an oven with a fan in it. I'd be using mine to roast veggies or meats. The more flexibility/ease of use, the better, for I am an idiot.

I only cook for myself, though I might make 2-peoples-worth of food if I plan on eating it for the following days.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

buglord posted:

Hi goons. Recommendations for a countertop convection oven? I was tempted by the allure of air fryers but it seems like they don't really do anything all that differently from an oven with a fan in it. I'd be using mine to roast veggies or meats. The more flexibility/ease of use, the better, for I am an idiot.

I only cook for myself, though I might make 2-peoples-worth of food if I plan on eating it for the following days.

I have a Hamilton Beach 31108 that is not as bad as I had anticipated.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

buglord posted:

You can always give Wirecutter's picks a look. The smaller ones are more "toaster" than "oven" so make sure they actually mention convection cooking.

Also, if anyone wants to fuss at me for linking to Wirecutter for these sorts of questions, now's the time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Isn't convection baking literally just an oven with a fan running in it though?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Isn't convection baking literally just an oven with a fan running in it though?
Yes?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm just responding to the original question about air fryers. It's just an oven with a fan in it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm just responding to the original question about air fryers. It's just an oven with a fan in it.
Ah right.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

they are just countertop convection ovens but they're somehow better at making a more "fried" result than a baked result.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Going back to cast iron chat for a second, what do people use to clean the pan before applying a "proper" seasoning?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Going back to cast iron chat for a second, what do people use to clean the pan before applying a "proper" seasoning?

I use copper wool and a toothbrush-sized brass brush if I'm taking it back down for an overhaul. The copper wool will get most of the "flaky" carbon off of it pretty easily without scratching the iron itself, and the brass brush is useful if there's a really tough node of something baked on. After that, soap and a sponge with some hot water, then dry it out with a towel, and toss it on the burner to heat dry.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stringent posted:

Print out 50 pages of flamewars about how to clean cast iron and use to scrub vigorously.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I wash mine under the tap and then pour a bit of oil on it. Seems okay so far

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Will pan frying meatballs be enough to cook them all the way through? Maybe at a lower heat and/or with smaller portions?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Smaller is the way to go. You want that browning. You could bake to finish.

Just do a sauce thiugh?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

IMHO the best way to season a cast iron skillet is to make a bunch of deep dish pizzas in it.

after three or four pizzas it'll be shiny and smooth

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I received some cake decorating tools for Christmas. Does anyone have a good pipeable frosting recipe that does not require a stand mixer, just a hand mixer?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Maigius posted:

I received some cake decorating tools for Christmas. Does anyone have a good pipeable frosting recipe that does not require a stand mixer, just a hand mixer?

I don't have a specific recipe, but I've found cream cheese frostings to be relatively easy to make without an electric mixer and you can adjust how well it pipes by warming it slightly.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Weltlich posted:

So "Shepards Pie" is a slightly different animal that starts with raw ground lamb (or beef),

As much as I hate to be pedantic (I don’t really), a shepherd’s pie is made with lamb. If you make it with beef (and, really, any meat other than sheep) it’s a cottage pie.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I got a rice cooker for christmas. I mainly eat brown rice. In the instruction booklet it doesn't mention different types of rice and gives basic instructions for is what I assume white rice (1 cup of water for 1 cup of rice).

Going on youtube or just googling gives a load of different answers for brown rice. I would have thought there would be some standard for this? The amount of water and the time it takes?

Has anyone used these things?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Jippa posted:

I got a rice cooker for christmas. I mainly eat brown rice. In the instruction booklet it doesn't mention different types of rice and gives basic instructions for is what I assume white rice (1 cup of water for 1 cup of rice).

Going on youtube or just googling gives a load of different answers for brown rice. I would have thought there would be some standard for this? The amount of water and the time it takes?

Has anyone used these things?

What's the make and model? Every rice cooker I've used has a specific mode for brown rice since it takes much longer to cook.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

What's the make and model? Every rice cooker I've used has a specific mode for brown rice since it takes much longer to cook.

It's a russell hobbs. They don't have a brown rice mode or even mention it in the instructions like I said.

I think I will just try doubling the water, so 2 cups of it for every 1 cup of rice.

https://uk.russellhobbs.com/product/rice-cooker-and-steamer-19750

e- Thanks

Jippa fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 31, 2020

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Jippa posted:

It's a russell hobbs. They don't have a brown rice mode or even mention it in the instructions like I said.

I think I will just try doubling the water, so 2 cups of it for every 1 cup of rice.

https://uk.russellhobbs.com/product/rice-cooker-and-steamer-19750

Ah, those sorts of rice cookers are very simple. Here's an instruction manual for similar model with directions for brown rice.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

IMHO the best way to season a cast iron skillet is to make a bunch of deep dish pizzas in it.

after three or four pizzas it'll be shiny and smooth

There are two camps of cast iron folks - shiny vs matte. Just FYI to Stringent, The people who like shiny are the ones that'll fight you if you soap their pan. I'm in the matte camp but also in the "whatever works for you, brah" camp, despite my :words: posts

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

As much as I hate to be pedantic (I don’t really), a shepherd’s pie is made with lamb. If you make it with beef (and, really, any meat other than sheep) it’s a cottage pie.

*Clicks the stopwatch closed and marks "11 hours and 39 minutes" in the log book*

I kid, but I know that lamb makes it "shepard's pie," which is why I put beef in parentheticals. But I'd wager that 95% of everything marketed as shepard's pie in a restaurant has ground beef instead of lamb, because the US lamb industry is two orders of magnitude smaller than the beef industry. And 99% of the time anyone says "I made shepard's pie last night" they used hamburger. It's not correct, but it is what it is.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

There are two camps of cast iron folks - shiny vs matte. Just FYI to Stringent, The people who like shiny are the ones that'll fight you if you soap their pan. I'm in the matte camp but also in the "whatever works for you, brah" camp, despite my :words: posts

I use soap and my pans are shiny

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Smaller is the way to go. You want that browning. You could bake to finish.

Just do a sauce thiugh?

Doing a pasta aglio e olio or whatever it's called, so there's not really a big sauce pot for simmering. Baking the meatballs isn't a bad idea though.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Well, 6 seasonings (1 hour each) using grapeseed oil in my oven didn't do jackshit. The pan was still sticky. There is a good chance that my (table top) oven is to blame as it tops out at 450 F, and grapeseed oil has a smoke point of 420 F - maybe the oven's temperature is slightly off.

I am now trying it using my induction burner.

In 2019, I would not have expected that this would be one of the more exciting things I would be doing in 2020.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
Is there such a thing as a good store bought butter chicken sauce? Or would it just be easier to make a big batch and portion it off and freeze it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Weltlich posted:

*Clicks the stopwatch closed and marks "11 hours and 39 minutes" in the log book*

I kid, but I know that lamb makes it "shepard's pie," which is why I put beef in parentheticals. But I'd wager that 95% of everything marketed as shepard's pie in a restaurant has ground beef instead of lamb, because the US lamb industry is two orders of magnitude smaller than the beef industry. And 99% of the time anyone says "I made shepard's pie last night" they used hamburger. It's not correct, but it is what it is.

In America, sure. Other countries do exist you know.

Also its shepHERD. As in a herd. Of sheep.