Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Paracaidas posted:

That's so funny!

She's crying. Funny how she isn't saying "That's so sad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

rydiafan posted:

Reading the synopsis, I'd think it's on account of the multiple rapes by Mutato.

Yeah, aside from that, it's not a terrible episode. But the way the entire cast ignore the seriousness of the rapes, is just :yikes:

The X Files particularly is often in a weird situation (watching the Modell episode of Season Five as I type this) where often the main characters being raped is seen as Bad, and other people going through the same thing is sad and disgusting.

But individual rapes in different scenarios are seen as Fine and Okay. And it's a really weird facet of the show. For want of a better explanation I'd say that the reason why Scully and the other women's rape is seen as bad is because it was done by The Government.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Dec 30, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

fartknocker posted:

Fox only started in April 1987, so it makes sense they had all sorts of crazy poo poo. Married... With Childen and The Tracey Ullman Show were literally the first two shows they aired, and IIRC those two and 21 Jump Street were the only shows from that first year that actually lasted multiple seasons or had any real impact.

I mean, :thejoke: being Katey Sagal.

Yeah they couldn't get Ed O'Neill to reprise his role.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

poo poo in the 90s and 00s sure made fun of nam vets having ptsd a lot

Also said vets being homeless.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Iron Crowned posted:

I would have hung out with all the characters in Seinfeld, whereas I would run away as fast as I could if I ran into the Always Sunny crew (maybe not Charlie).

Charlie is the only one of the gang halfway close to being a decent person and only goes along with their shenanigans because he otherwise has no direction in his life.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Charlie is the only one of the gang halfway close to being a decent person and only goes along with their shenanigans because he otherwise has no direction in his life.

Yeah, but on the other hand, hanging out with Charlie means that at some point the rest of the Gang appears and ruins your life.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Charlie is a loving stalker he's is just as bad

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

alexandriao posted:

Yeah, aside from that, it's not a terrible episode. But the way the entire cast ignore the seriousness of the rapes, is just :yikes:

The X Files particularly is often in a weird situation (watching the Modell episode of Season Five as I type this) where often the main characters being raped is seen as Bad, and other people going through the same thing is sad and disgusting.

But individual rapes in different scenarios are seen as Fine and Okay. And it's a really weird facet of the show. For want of a better explanation I'd say that the reason why Scully and the other women's rape is seen as bad is because it was done by The Government.

Some of it is probably that they never thought about what figurative meaning they wanted ufo abduction to have, or even if they wanted it to have figurative meaning. The whole ufo abduction cultural phenomenon is weird because in retrospect it is entirely about rape and anxieties about rape but nobody in the 90s ever verbalized that idea, whether they were a skeptic or a crackpot who believed in it. It’s basically the same thing as the satanic panic but without the reactionary politics.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Charlie does lovely things, but I get the vibe that he's a) neurodivergent and b) being taken advantage of. His "intelligence" is regularly brought up as a point of degradation, along with the facts that he has difficulty communicating with people, he has very little friends (And I don't even know if you can call them "friends" tbh), and from what I recall of the series, he singlehandedly keeps the pub afloat and is basically a workhorse for the other, openly narcissistic and manipulative cast, who have warped his ability to figure out what is or is not appropriate social behaviour.

In this thesis I will,

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

verbal enema posted:

She's crying. Funny how she isn't saying "That's so sad"

There's a lot of points you can point out where JD is pretty much a self absorbed amoral sociopath in later seasons but the first time I watched the show it was that line that really clicked for me that despite all the comedy and self deprecation JD was truly a piece of poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

pentyne posted:

There's a lot of points you can point out where JD is pretty much a self absorbed amoral sociopath in later seasons but the first time I watched the show it was that line that really clicked for me that despite all the comedy and self deprecation JD was truly a piece of poo poo.

And to be fair I think that was the point of that scene.

I don’t remember it going anywhere tho

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CharlestheHammer posted:

And to be fair I think that was the point of that scene.

I don’t remember it going anywhere tho

yeah it didnt after that ep the i pretty sure the only thing that carried over was the fact he owned a deck of house and nothing else

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Just watched one of the rare non-paranormal episodes of the X-files and it was pretty great. The one where Mulder and Scully have to help catch two escaped convicts. They come across the fact a pharmaceutical company was experimenting on prisoners and the government is now helping to cover it up in order prevent a pandemic. Mulder is like who assigned me to this case, and how many people have to die... and CSM is like "I did, and you can either keep complaining while more people get infected or go back to work to stop a pandemic" Which, side note, it's nice to know he has more responsibilities than just covering up aliens.

Anyway. The prisoners are caught and killed, the prison experiments are covered up, and we find out Mulder and Scully were chosen because if they decided to go public with no evidence, nobody would believe the UFO guy. The whole thing is such a downer, and a microcosm of the show's themes. Mulder and Scully even when they know everything can't prove it and nobody will believe them anyway.

That said what's aged poorly is definitely the government handling a pandemic competently, if unethically. I let out a morbid little chuckle that the disease's death count was 14.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

There were a lot of "troubled Vietnam vet" movies and TV stories even in the 70's. We'd just gotten out of it and there was a lot of "Look what that terrible war did to these poor people!" Not that any solutions were offered.

Snipers, homeless, drug addicts, vigilantes, flashbacks, assorted violence - all of these were Hollywood mainstays about Vietnam vets through the 70's and early 80's. You almost never had any "Yeah, it was bad, but I came through OK" vet characters in that era.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
So did Rambo: First Blood Part 2 age badly of not?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say that the idea Vietnam has been secretly keeping American POWs for ten years so they can be interrorgated by devious Soviet colonels, and the American government knows about this but wants to keep it secret would be regarded as a batshit conspiracy theory today. Not sure if that's better or worse than Rambo 3 having him support the noble Mujahideen against the dastardly Soviets

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Vietnam secretly keeping POWs for funsies sounds outlandish until you remember we've had Gitmo inmates for almost 20 years.

Just to clarify, I don't think Vietnam has any US POWs.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Fish of hemp posted:

So did Rambo: First Blood Part 2 age badly of not?

All the Rambos past the original aged bad because they all missed the goddamn point of the original. :argh:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Vandar posted:

All the Rambos past the original aged bad because they all missed the goddamn point of the original. :argh:

I mean, they probably understand what they're doing (making war propaganda.)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vandar posted:

In the first movie Rambo kills no one (I think maybe one person dies falling out of a helicopter?) and ends up a nervous wreck sobbing in despair over his trauma. The other movies? Stone cold badass who always kills the bad guys. No half-measures

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Vandar posted:

Yep.

Frustrating that the author of the novel on which the original was based novelized the sequels, but I'd have almost certainly cashed in, too.

It was a really weird time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MrUnderbridge posted:

Snipers, homeless, drug addicts, vigilantes, flashbacks, assorted violence - all of these were Hollywood mainstays about Vietnam vets through the 70's and early 80's. You almost never had any "Yeah, it was bad, but I came through OK" vet characters in that era.

Magnum PI was one

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Iron Crowned posted:

Magnum PI was one

Also Crockett in Miami Vice.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

christmas boots posted:

In the first movie Rambo kills no one (I think maybe one person dies falling out of a helicopter?)

Yeah, one of the police officers is in a helicopter and leans out the side so he can shoot a man trying to run away, and when Rambo hits it with a large rock he tumbles out and falls to his death.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
To be honest that dude who gets spikes in his legs probably doesn't fair too well

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The first Rambo is a really good small drama film with a veteran trying to desperately come to terms to life after the war.

Then in the 4th one remember when Rambo jumps on that fifty cal and just tears like 50 dudes apart? loving awesome

E: hell yeah!!
https://youtu.be/HGRZWRrjAhA

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Stallone lucked into two really good films with Rocky and First Blood, then spent the rest of his career demonstrating he had no idea what made them good. I enjoy a lot of his films, but the Rocky and Rambo sequels really need to not be connected to the original movies.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sunswipe posted:

Stallone lucked into two really good films with Rocky and First Blood, then spent the rest of his career demonstrating he had no idea what made them good. I enjoy a lot of his films, but the Rocky and Rambo sequels really need to not be connected to the original movies.

I'm not sure its fair to say the guy who wrote Rocky "lucked into it".

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Sunswipe posted:

I'm pretty sure he knew what made them good but he also knew what people wanted to see.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

sweet geek swag posted:

This is basically what I was going to say, but you said it better. The 80's also saw the rise of 'very special episodes' which were episodes that dealt with an important social issue in the most trite way possible. 80's family sitcoms were dire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflYjF90t7c

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

There were a lot of "troubled Vietnam vet" movies and TV stories even in the 70's. We'd just gotten out of it and there was a lot of "Look what that terrible war did to these poor people!" Not that any solutions were offered.

21 Jump Street had the police captain as a vet as his background but nothing crazy, and a bit of drama emerged when the Chinese cop was revealed to actually be Vietnamese suddenly the captain acted like the guy he's know for years was going to booby trap his office to try and kill him.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

oldpainless posted:

The first Rambo is a really good small drama film with a veteran trying to desperately come to terms to life after the war.

Then in the 4th one remember when Rambo jumps on that fifty cal and just tears like 50 dudes apart? loving awesome

Remember how the latest Rambo movie was a chudsy as gently caress anti-Mexican movie? Fun times!

(Also I just learned from wikipedia that Stallone is considering a sixth movie which...oh god no please. :negative:)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It had a lot of cultural impact because a super-right-wing Christan woman with focus on the family or something similar started making hay everywhere that Fox was airing this filth nobody was watching thereby making everyone watch it.

Which, of course, MWC would reference in the episode "No Pot to Pease In".

Kelly auditions for a sitcom, but doesn't get the role. She starts talking abut her family and the network steals the idea and makes a MWC clone, "Pease In a Pod". The only person not to realize it's about the Bundys is Al, who loves the show. It is ultimately canceled because "...some woman in Michigan didn't like it".

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Another thing to consider: this high schooler is singing a song with lyrics such as:
I want to love you, feel you, wrap myself around you
I want to squeeze you, please you, I just can't get enough
and if you move real slow I'll let it go

Somehow I don't think that's about hugs

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SiKboy posted:

I'm not sure its fair to say the guy who wrote Rocky "lucked into it".

When you look at his subsequent work, it makes the first film look like more the result of luck than judgement.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

christmas boots posted:

I remembered reading something like this before. Turns out it was in Time several years ago.

https://time.com/3720218/difference-between-american-british-humour/

Then he goes on to Gervais the rest of the article about his philosphy on comedy.

For the record I don't know if this is as true as he claims. People loved Seinfeld and none of the characters were particularly likable. Same goes for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

On the British vs American comedy stuff re: niceness and success etc. I hears Stephen Fry give a good explanation of something similar.

There is a famous scene in Animal House where there is a hippie playing guitar of the steps. "I gave my love a chicken, it had no bones" being the funny line I remember. John Belushu comes down, looks quizzically at the guitar for a beat, and then smashes it and hands it back to the baffled and crestfallen hippie.

As Stephen Fry explains, an American comedian would want the Belushi role. Thinking the laughs come from being the one with the power, and being the victor of the exchange, having put the hippie in his place for playing such a stupid bad song. But an English comedian would want the guitarist role, thinking the laughs come from being the sadsack who thinks his stupid bad song is good being shat on by an uncaring and hostile world.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sorry about the doublepost.

oldpainless posted:

But on the Rambo/Rocky talk:

There is a weird parallel between the two sets of films.

Where the first in the series is an actual movie. Where a sad broken man deals with trauma, and internalized toxic masculinity. Battling a world that tells him he doesn't belong.

But as the films progress, they turn into rah rah stories about a big strong tough manly superhero who overcomes the evil baddies, (be they the Russians or Mr T), by punching/shooting them. And he wins because he is so tough and muscly and manly YAY!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah alien and aliens are the same way, while also being way better than rocky or rambo

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The following are good, or at least the films of Sly that I enjoy watching

The Party at Kitty and Studs
Rocky
Rocky Balboa
Rocky 4
Creed
Cobra
First Blood
Rambo (2008)
Demolition Man
Tango and Cash
Cliffhanger
Judge Dredd
Assassins
Expendables 2
Escape Plan

This list is objectively correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
No Over the Top?? Get the gently caress out of here.