Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A plug wire crimper? You have to custom-cut your wires?

After selling my Roadmaster last summer for a healthy profit, my wife made the passing suggestion that I should get the Pontiac painted. I seized upon this, and am now hip-deep in removing the brightwork from the body shell. It has been satisfying, revealing, and at times harrowing - I consider the car a museum piece - it is all original, with very little rust, and I am trying to preserve every single part I can, including fasteners and clips.

I bought the car in 2000 (to replace a wrecked '66- another story) from the grandson of the original owner. The OO drove it into his nineties, and the dings and dents told the tale. The right-rear quarter was a mess after he apparently sidswiped it on his garage door opening. The quarters on this car are eight feet long, and there's a character line through the center of the whole thing. I finally located a retired body man who worked his magic on it for a reasonable fee. It was he who informed me that the car had been re-painted. I knew parts of it had been - but he said no, the whole thing was done in single-stage, probably in the 70s or 80s. He showed all of the overspray I never really paid attention to - nothing had been removed - it was all taped off - a good job, but there's always overspray - so I felt much better about getting it done (I'd been showing it for years as 'original factory paint').

I am a terrible body man. It's in the av.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

PainterofCrap posted:

Pontiac stuff

I want to have all my cars in better shape than they were before rona :v:

I was watching some coverage of the bomb a bit earlier a bit earlier but my soul couldn't take anymore so I just stopped -

kinda like this:

So, once again Mrs. Lobsterboyx is one bad b and really knows what I like - this "lamp" was my xmas gift:

but its not a lamp, its a Red Crown gas pump globe:

again... shes a keeper.

I got her this cool sign

its in reference to this, with some slight modifications of course:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_of_Allah_Hotel

And I got my boy(s) his(their) first wagon:

now now, before you say, thats not vintage, I have 2 other wagons - one is my original from the 80s, after I retired from wagon life, my mom turned it in a planter in the back yard, the plastic wheels are done, theres rust holes in it ect. however, I feel that would be a fun "hot roddish" project for later -

the other is one of these that's in pretty bad shape, I dont have a photo of mine because its been at a friends house since I got it... being used as a planter.... but one day I will get it back and maybe we'll restore that one too

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 26, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LobsterboyX posted:

also, new tool alert

one of the most finger destroy-e-est jobs just became a lot easier.

Ratcheting cam-action crimpers of any sort are absolutely the poo poo.
Next up is cam -action pliers, particularly diagonal cutters (that end up being miniature bolt-cutters, basically.)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

So, once again Mrs. Lobsterboyx is one bad b and really knows what I like - this "lamp" was my xmas gift:

but its not a lamp, its a Red Crown gas pump globe
HOLY poo poo where did she find this?

LobsterboyX posted:

again... shes a keeper.
I'll say. Good goddamn.

I bought my wife reproduction Sinclair lenses, and built a hanging mount for them - they're on the patio

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Ratcheting cam-action crimpers of any sort are absolutely the poo poo.
Next up is cam -action pliers, particularly diagonal cutters (that end up being miniature bolt-cutters, basically.)

They really are, I did a test spark plug end on a spare piece I had laying around... holy poo poo, I want to do custom wires on every car I own... but I already have... so I may do them again.

cloth covered suppression core wires give me a weird boner...

I just got a set of these BAMF's too... I've heard a lot of goodness about them, and I've been a channelock guy forever, so this is a bit of a departure from my norm - I also got the smooth jaws because :monocle:

I want to get this set as well, because youtube says they're great.

PainterofCrap posted:

HOLY poo poo where did she find this?

I'll say. Good goddamn.

I bought my wife reproduction Sinclair lenses, and built a hanging mount for them - they're on the patio

I dont know where she got it, its a repop, but who cares!

I also have wall mount globes on either side of my garage - you can see one of them here:

by the way! Thank you for the xmas card Bob! you're on the list now!

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 30, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Knipex is amazing stuff. My family got me the Cobra pliers for Christmas and they’re fantastic.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I wanted a set of the pliers wrenches for so long it should come as no surprise that I was disappointed. Probably compounded by the fact that I didn't buy them with any sense of need, they were just on sale. My main gripe is they're hard to adjust. When they're at the right size they're good and fine, but I'm very partial to the locking adjustable wrench.

The Cobras look amazing but I have a set of Irwins that are good enough and I can't imagine them being that much better.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I wanted a set of the pliers wrenches for so long it should come as no surprise that I was disappointed. Probably compounded by the fact that I didn't buy them with any sense of need, they were just on sale. My main gripe is they're hard to adjust. When they're at the right size they're good and fine, but I'm very partial to the locking adjustable wrench.

The Cobras look amazing but I have a set of Irwins that are good enough and I can't imagine them being that much better.

you're the first person to speak ill of these things - I'd been looking for "that one thing you grab when you dont feel like going to the metric toolbox because everything you own is old as gently caress and metric didn't exist" and "that one thing you grab when you don't give a gently caress about a gently caress"

In other news, rain struck LA and I've gone full tweaker:

also, I found this in my "private reserve" of parts, I had liberated this cool Pioneer fog light many years ago from an estate sale for a whopping $10, at the time I was a bit miffed that there was only one - these are typically found on late 30s and 40s cars as accessory fog lights and my plan was to run them on my 48 - I recently saw a cool traditional hot rod that had the single fog on the drivers side as indicated that it would have been a passing light. My memory that I even had this thing was jogged when I went on ebay to look for them and realized that they are pretty expensive!

so I started wiring it up, and thats about as far as I got because my fragile southern California physique was cold. - more on this soon

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 30, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

cloth covered suppression core wires give me a weird boner...

Cloth jacketing with a contrasting thread running through it just looks so good. I have several computer cables with braided covers like that. And I really want to use the Russell braided hoses that have a similar look on my Cutlass.

quote:

I just got a set of these BAMF's too... I've heard a lot of goodness about them, and I've been a channelock guy forever, so this is a bit of a departure from my norm - I also got the smooth jaws because :monocle:

0.o
I didn't know those existed. Do want.

quote:

I want to get this set as well, because youtube says they're great.

I have two pair of actual Channel-loc ones like those, in two different sizes. I bought them specifically because of the more angled head, and the jaws designed for round stuff. They've been pretty useful. I can only imagine the Knipex are better.

Edit:
Oof, those Knipex Pliers Wrenches aren't cheap, are they?

$55 for the 10"
https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8603250-10-Inch-Pliers-Wrench/dp/B000X4OG94

a hair cheaper ($48) if you get the black finish:
https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-Tools-Pliers-Wrench-8601180/dp/B07YLFLSJW/
edit again: ah, those are the smaller size.
Black finish 10" is $57:
https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-Tools-86-01-250/dp/B07JNFYMLX/

StormDrain posted:

The locking adjustable wrench is also on my list.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 30, 2020

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
what are these locking adjustable you guys speak of?

this?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

StormDrain posted:

Did you get the Alligator fixed position set? Where you have to clock the handle just right to change positions?
https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8801250-10-Inch-Alligator-Pliers/dp/B000X4J2VQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1BEWG95SCG1O1

Return them for these if you can- the Cobra's are a god send. I've never found anything easier and I've used Channel Lock/Irwin/Craftsman.
https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8701250-10-Inch-Cobra-Pliers/dp/B000X4J2H0/ref=pd_bxgy_2/132-1820396-1695154?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000X4J2H0

the spyder fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 30, 2020

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

LobsterboyX posted:

this?

Yesss. I bought one of these due to a recommendation on here. I use them when my hand strength can no longer hold the larger pliers-wrench.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

the spyder posted:

Did you get the Alligator fixed position set? Where you have to clock the handle just right to change positions?
https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8801250-10-Inch-Alligator-Pliers/dp/B000X4J2VQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1BEWG95SCG1O1

Return them for these if you can- the Cobra's are a god send. I've never found anything easier and I've used Channel Lock/Irwin/Craftsman.
https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8701250-10-Inch-Cobra-Pliers/dp/B000X4J2H0/ref=pd_bxgy_2/132-1820396-1695154?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000X4J2H0

No to what you said but I was wrong on a key point. I have the Wiha ones, and you have to open them to set them. Looks like the Knipex works on a button, which is much nicer. The problem with opening to set is its unclear what the final closed size will be and they end up being too loose or the handles too far apart.

Why the hell did I get these when I knew I wanted the Knipex? Must have been a sale. I even watched a YouTube review....

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

this?

i have a pair of these, and they are great. i just wish they were available in shorter lengths. i would love a 6" version

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

as far as I got because my fragile southern California physique was cold

As an Arizonan I deeply identify with this.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Raluek posted:

i have a pair of these, and they are great. i just wish they were available in shorter lengths. i would love a 6" version

Same, a 6" set would be perfect for 8mm/10mm head stuff. Though I'd still keep the 10" ones handy because god drat are they handy.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

LobsterboyX posted:

this?

Hold on, this is a real tool? The first few posts I really thought it was a photoshop prank inside joke, like jackalope crossed with turn signal fluid.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ought ten posted:

Hold on, this is a real tool? The first few posts I really thought it was a photoshop prank inside joke, like jackalope crossed with turn signal fluid.

https://youtu.be/aQNkeugaAMc

They're especially great for soft materials like brake line fittings. The downside is the bulk. They don't fit everywhere.

I used my pair to fold over a flange on sheet metal too, with a washer clamped in it to set the depth.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Also handy for large hardware that has some corrosion, and suspension hardware like where you want to hold the back side and rest the wrench against the frame. Doesn't fall off!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

LobsterboyX posted:

this?

These things are great, I have two pairs and keep one in my mobile toolkit at all times.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Also the irwin original locking wrench

It can be destructive, but it will hold on to just about anything with way more grip than a curved jaw. Pretty much either it holds or the nut cracks off.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Also the irwin original locking wrench

It can be destructive, but it will hold on to just about anything with way more grip than a curved jaw. Pretty much either it holds or the nut cracks off.
Crikey! I don't own any Irwin tools because I can't look at them without thinking of Steve, but that tool does look handy.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I've seen some poo poo in my life, but the mental torture that is being locked in my house with internet access and no reliable source of income is just. too. much.

but on the other hand...

you find smoking deals on things

ah yes, the old dual carb setup makes a return

these are the elusive Stromberg 81 carbs - these can be found sitting on the shelf of old men who say "not for sale" or "when I build that banger I'll use these" - if you're familiar with the "97" carburetor this is it's little brother - same mechanism just a bit smaller with smaller CFM - over the years these have been proven over and over to be the "perfect" amount of CFM when doubled up on the venerable 4 banger. Someone has taken the stromberg name and is producing insanely faithful recreations of 97s and 81s, however they are $500 each with no bogo deals or any relief - so $1000 in carbs is a bit out of reach for non gold chainers.

I paid about 100 bucks for 3 rebuild kits, and they're getting passed off to a friend who's retired and enjoys sitting in his garage and rebuilding carbs - his payment, video calls with me and the baby because all of his kids don't plan on having children - kinda sad, but its almost like my son has another grandpa.

these were originally found atop the V8-60 - which is a miniature flathead v8 from the mid 30s. the 60 stood for 60 horsepower.

here's henry with one -

and here's henry with the iconic 8BA

I would absolutely love to get my hands on one of the V8-60's, but 4 bangin is a bit more fun for me at the moment.

I've also been working on upping my wiring/electrical skills - when I originally wired the car, I kinda went overboard, and because I didn't really know what I was doing (and still dont) - I just got the igintion and lights working good enough to get down the road. - when I added this fog light, more on that later, I realized I could clean up a lot of my sillyness, and this is partially the result

I also took time to draw a wiring diagram and identify exactly what I did all those years ago - I also ran a new circuit for a horn/relay which is coming in the mail, and I'm currently looking for vintage turn signal units like so:

butttttttt.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-COMPL...RsAAOSwy79f42xw the price stings.

also why is it that things drop in your lap when you realllllllly don't need them to...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Always. loving always.

Missed out on a free '63 DeVille 4-door hardtop at a time like that

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, I went out to look at that big rear end 27 Buick, and the price was so right - but for once I thought about it really really rationally - this is too much of a project for me - the entire inner structure of the car was made of wood and the whole thing was rotten, when I opened the door it dropped about a foot, closing it was like closing the door of a rotten wooden chest, also the garage had a fire in there in.... 1970.... the fire didn't touch the car, but it got so hot in there, it cooked the car as if it was in an oven.

note the entire garage is charred - also, that stupid rear end fiberglass boat fell on the hood - its also missing its top and original headlights - UGH, just looking at these pics, I still want it, but I know its just a giant headache.

my friend was the real winner that day:

1940 Ford coupe - hopped up, custom interior... for an incredible price.. holy... moly...

in other news - dropped the carbs off with a friend who will be rebuilding them..

this is from the wagon - its pretty clean, but I think the accelerator pump went out - was really struggling to start and had a slight hiccup while accelerating. when I went to go take it off, i noted that all the nuts for the carb were loose... ugh. annd...

wonder where that went...

I finished the install of my fog light:

and I also added a switch between high and low beam which is pretty cool - also added a horn!

I didn't want to fool with making the original horn button work because I'm going to be changing out the column/wheel so I added this nice little accessory horn button.

This thing is pretty loud.

I bought this beautiful little lamp

started fixing up my guest house - planning to turn it in to a tiki bar that can be a rental for film and photo shoots.

also, there's these:

The plan is to scan them, then make a typable font out of them!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
my buddy sent me this pic of my carb that he rebuilt up in the snow:

he got them yesterday and was doing this all night - pretty awesome. - 3 more to go

in other news, I've been given this:

dont know where I'm going to put it yet, but for free, I cant say no - maybe a old school dust bowl era camper build?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hrmm have you considered putting it on the street with a free scrap sign on it?

That trailer looks bad. I'd rather build one from scratch than fix it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You can say no to free. Free can be really expensive.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Ah c'mon, it doesn't look _that_ bad.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
id certainly rather have something rickety, interesting, unusual, and free than boring, functional, and slick. but that's probably more a reflection of my defects than anything else

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The wood looks busted, but the frame itself doesn't look too bad, I bet there's enough material there that you can just knock off the rust, zinc primer it and give it a new coat of paint.

Probably needs new wheel bearings, but that's a small task.

I've seen farm trailers last for decades in much worse condition.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

KozmoNaut posted:

I've seen farm trailers last for decades in much worse condition.

My FIL hauls wood on a trailer that makes that one look new. I trust the OP to clean it up and make sure it’s safe before putting it on the road.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, if the frame is ok, it's just wood.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
The trailer is really old - it has wooden wheels as well. the axle is from a model T and its solid mounted to a steel frame. No matter how you slice it its a project, this belongs to my friend whos dad passed away in 2015. before that he actually would use this trailer for material and picking up junk..

The lovely part about this is that I don't have any room for this at my house, but I have options to keep it.. way far away at friends desert property.

I'd love to build this thing in to a dustbowl style camper with a canvas upper and maybe a little galley -

the problem is registration... I have a feeling that its never been registered - it has a tag on it that claims it was owned by the city of beverly hills general maintenance division - 1946

my friend is having some trees on his property serviced and needs this thing out pretty quick here. I can stash it in my driveway for a bit, but then when it comes time to.. you know drive the cars... I have to move it...

kinda a rock and a hard place, but he's also threatening to cut it up and toss it in the dumpster... and I just cant let him do that. If anything I may try to sell it and cash him out.

Raluek posted:

id certainly rather have something rickety, interesting, unusual, and free than boring, functional, and slick. but that's probably more a reflection of my defects than anything else

defect? nah bruh, same.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well, at least you know where the axle came from so you can get parts, ha.

I wouldn't scrap it either, but it would take a lot to make me comfortable using it on the road for even hauling a lawnmower. I doubt that a Model T axle is capable of hauling very much weight. A camper seems like a stretch. Also that tongue is massively sketchy.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Well, at least you know where the axle came from so you can get parts, ha.

I wouldn't scrap it either, but it would take a lot to make me comfortable using it on the road for even hauling a lawnmower. I doubt that a Model T axle is capable of hauling very much weight. A camper seems like a stretch. Also that tongue is massively sketchy.

the tongue is the worst part to me - I hit my buddy up about fixing it up but he now has the virus soooooooooo... everything is welded under there - as I said the previous owner used this on the reg, and only about 5-6 years ago - in my limited experience with trailers, the sketchiest part of this thing (in addition to the tongue) is the wheels and tires - wheels being made of loving wood, and at this point the tires may as well be wood as well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I wouldn't tow that anywhere without it being rebuilt, it needs to go on a bigger trailer or a flatbed. I get saving it for historic reasons but you'll trailer-of-Theseus it before it's safe to tow anywhere surely?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

in other news, I've been given this:

dont know where I'm going to put it yet, but for free, I cant say no - maybe a old school dust bowl era camper build?

I spy artillery wheels. Well, one, anyway.
Wait - those a wood spoke wheels? Wow.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
yup, never seen anything like them:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The caps really threw me, since those belong on steel wheels of some sort. Kind of curious how those are attached, since the hub on the woodies should be just a bit bigger than the bolt pattern. Like maybe a 6" cap.
Personally, I think the trailer is neat, and just needs a once over to ensure the frame is solid, and new wood. Or better wood, at any rate. I've certainly seen sketchier.