Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Shageletic posted:

wait A24 made the trailer, aren't they busy producing good movies

Nah, I'm just saying the A24 trailer style of pairing intense moments or striking images from the movie without plot context with a heavy electronic soundtrack pretty clearly inspired the WW84 trailer. When A24 does it, the promise of a whole movie matching the tone and energy of the trailer usually pays off, but Warner Brothers has imitated it to evil purpose.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Uggggh: https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-chris-pine-on-patty-jenkins-rogue-squadron/amp/

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nix Panicus posted:

Lord's story was so confusing. Like, he had bought a bunch of land without oil at a discount, presumably so he could get someone to wish there was oil there so he could be an oil baron? Why? If you already know theres a magic wish rock out there (how did he know there was a magic wish rock!?) why bother with the oil scheme at all? Captain Planet villains had better thought out schemes. Nothing in the plotline required being an oil baron at all. It all just seemed like a shallow excuse to have Max be a real estate guy.

Maybe Max could have been a formerly successful oil baron whose empire was toppling and was so desperate that he blew his last million chasing a legend?
I thought it was he bought a bunch of land cheap because no one had found oil there before but he thought his luck would be different. However, all the wells started were coming up dry and he realized he was screwed and that's why he started lying to cover up his losses and trying to raise money to drill new wells.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hope they keep making quality movies like this one for alot longer.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

pospysyl posted:

Nah, I'm just saying the A24 trailer style of pairing intense moments or striking images from the movie without plot context with a heavy electronic soundtrack pretty clearly inspired the WW84 trailer. When A24 does it, the promise of a whole movie matching the tone and energy of the trailer usually pays off, but Warner Brothers has imitated it to evil purpose.

What's A24 again?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

What's A24 again?

You know those trailers for movie where you look at them and go "hmm, that looks kinda interesting," then don't actually watch them until you're reminded they exist when they win a ton of Oscars and/or Golden Globes or that one movie geek friend of yours will not shut the gently caress up about it? That's an A24 movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A24 movies fuckin own. Hereditary, Spring Breakers, Midsommar etc

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
When does the Green Knight release

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought it was he bought a bunch of land cheap because no one had found oil there before but he thought his luck would be different. However, all the wells started were coming up dry and he realized he was screwed and that's why he started lying to cover up his losses and trying to raise money to drill new wells.

Yeah that makes more sense

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Mr. Apollo posted:

If you've seen There Will Be Blood, he's more or less trying to be Daniel Plainview.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The CBR article posted:

Jenkins has confirmed the film won't be based on the popular Rogue Squadron video game released in 1998 or any of the X-Wing novels from the old Expanded Universe, aka Star Wars Legends

Is this good or bad?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neither. I guess. I’ve only Played the n64 one and I don’t remember a story

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

There have been Rogue Squadron books and comics. There's *a* story, it wasn't just the video game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Zzulu posted:

I actually liked that they bothered to show the superHero going out of her way to save people (unlike, say, Superman fighting Zod while killing thousands of people).

It was just all so contrived, like others said. With a few adjustments it could have been fine

That's every drat superhero movie since Man Of Steel, and I'm sick of it. It's like the movie is taking a break from the action to apologize to me that another movie didn't have a scene of the hero giving a balloon to a crying child in 2013. You don't have to reassure me that Wonder Woman does not desire the death of children, movie! I actually already assumed that!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

smug jeebus posted:

When does the Green Knight release

Not until July 30. :(

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Lord is definitely a take on Trump, he's just not an accurate take on Trump. You gotta remember, like 40% of the country really likes Trump, and has a view of him thats completely alien to most everyone on this forum, so presenting your Trump analogue accurately, as an utterly irredeemable narcissist who must be destroyed, wouldn't be good for the bottom line.

As an aside, I dont think "the libs" will rehab Trump the same way some of them did with W, primarily because Trump wont shut up long enough for people to forget how much of an rear end in a top hat he is. He's not gonna gently caress off to a ranch in Texas for most of a decade, he's gonna be on Fox News (or Newsmax/OANN/Trump News, whatever) 3 times a week till he's dead or back in the White House.

I thought the movie was ok, a serious step down from WW, but nowhere near as bad as Justice League. Could have been way better with a few small changes. Make it clear shes using the fancy armor to rope-a-dope Cheetah and tire her out so it doesnt feel like a completely pointless costume change. Address the body thief aspect, or just completely loving cut it because its stupid and pointless and gross in a movie thats trying to be more lighthearted. Have Barbara lash out at the homeless guy to make it more clear that she's actually becoming a heartless person, not just able and willing to beat the poo poo out of a rapist. It still wouldn't be great, but it'd be better.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The weirdest thing about the body snatching is that if you cut out two minutes of film you would never even know, because they never address it again. They had a year to review the film and voice a concern over metaphysical rape and decided that no, thats the angle they wanted to go with to show that wishes are bad

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I don't generally care about behind the scenes stuff, but I'm so curious to learn why and how that decision was made.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I wonder if it was something left over from an earlier draft? I think getting rid of it would have made the movie simpler plus it would have made her recanting the wish even more tragic since it really was Steve that she was sending back and not just his soul.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nix Panicus posted:

The weirdest thing about the body snatching is that if you cut out two minutes of film you would never even know, because they never address it again. They had a year to review the film and voice a concern over metaphysical rape and decided that no, thats the angle they wanted to go with to show that wishes are bad

Someone wanted that Quantum Leap connection/homage really bad; whether or not they willfully ignored the implications of integrating that component of the story to Diana's love life — among other things — is questionable, but my guess is that it was Johns who wanted it to keep that story beat because Geoff Johns is probably a giant piece of poo poo.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Was it someone in this thread who suggested that they might have decided to just cheap the gently caress out on a soundtrack and go entirely with a score instead? The nostalgia hit from classic tunes is a major reason to go with a period piece. Otherwise....why? A couple of clothing jokes?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You know those trailers for movie where you look at them and go "hmm, that looks kinda interesting," then don't actually watch them until you're reminded they exist when they win a ton of Oscars and/or Golden Globes or that one movie geek friend of yours will not shut the gently caress up about it? That's an A24 movie.

They are an independent distribution/production company, their stuff has only won like 6 Oscars total

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I don't know if its been mentioned in this thread, but the whole opening sequence where supposedly they lay out the moral of not cheating or taking shortcuts is invalidated by the fact that Diana is a literal demigod competing with mortals. She's a little girl outrunning full grown adults, but thats fine so long as she follows the rules.

Its a wild examination of how privilege works and offers a much better 'teachable moment' than the dumb 'cheating is bad' message they intended

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Wow. My expectations going into this were already pretty low, but this whole was amateur hour acting (Gal Gadot can't act her way out of a paper bag) and directing. Outside of Pedro Pascal's performance, this whole movie was a sad combination of being terribly boring and cringey. And of course it made an obscene amount of money and they will probably make 5 more of these.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

mA posted:

Wow. My expectations going into this were already pretty low, but this whole was amateur hour acting (Gal Gadot can't act her way out of a paper bag) and directing. Outside of Pedro Pascal's performance, this whole movie was a sad combination of being terribly boring and cringey. And of course it made an obscene amount of money and they will probably make 5 more of these.

did it tho

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Nix Panicus posted:

Lord's story was so confusing. Like, he had bought a bunch of land without oil at a discount, presumably so he could get someone to wish there was oil there so he could be an oil baron? Why? If you already know theres a magic wish rock out there (how did he know there was a magic wish rock!?) why bother with the oil scheme at all? Captain Planet villains had better thought out schemes. Nothing in the plotline required being an oil baron at all. It all just seemed like a shallow excuse to have Max be a real estate guy.

Maybe Max could have been a formerly successful oil baron whose empire was toppling and was so desperate that he blew his last million chasing a legend?

The amount of work he had to do just to even remotely come close to getting what he wanted was just insane. Like why wish to be the wishing stone? Why not just wish for all the wealth and success possible?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

JT Smiley posted:

The amount of work he had to do just to even remotely come close to getting what he wanted was just insane. Like why wish to be the wishing stone? Why not just wish for all the wealth and success possible?
If he knew how it worked couldn't he state what he would give up in exchange for the wish?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

JT Smiley posted:

Because he wants more wishes.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Hand Knit posted:

Because he wants more wishes.

But he didn't get more wishes, he just became a vessel for wishes to go through.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

JT Smiley posted:

But he didn't get more wishes, he just became a vessel for wishes to go through.
He basically rule lawyered himself more wishes. He got people to wish for things he wanted and then took what he wanted in return.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Mr. Apollo posted:

He basically rule lawyered himself more wishes. He got people to wish for things he wanted and then took what he wanted in return.

It’s still shocking after a week of reflection how badly they botched the explanation of his powers. It’s so bad.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

meanolmrcloud posted:

It’s still shocking after a week of reflection how badly they botched the explanation of his powers. It’s so bad.

I keep saying it, but I think theres a really good movie concept in there about just Max and Barbara doing wishes, having tragic realizations and then trying to do redemption. Both actors had the range to support it and the concept as executed was just interesting enough where given more time to breathe it could have been good. The worst part about the Wonder Woman movie was Wonder Woman.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

stratdax posted:

But seriously, the anti-capitalism is so explicit, and so strong, that it's surprising and gives the 80s setting meaning. That thought of "anything you want is yours" was genuine.

The climactic crisis is resolved by everyone in the world deciding they were wrong to want things to be better.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Not much you can do against an unstoppable engine of destruction that's better at fighting than you.

You could write a better script.
Man of Steel isn't a documentary you know.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the script accomplishes exactly what it sets out to.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

There’s nothing bad about showing a character learning and improving and overcoming something that seemed indomitable

Or killing fascists

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The script for Rocky would be greatly improved if Rocky simply defeated Apollo Creed effortlessly. Can’t believe Stallone it the bad way instead.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

graventy posted:

Was it someone in this thread who suggested that they might have decided to just cheap the gently caress out on a soundtrack and go entirely with a score instead? The nostalgia hit from classic tunes is a major reason to go with a period piece. Otherwise....why? A couple of clothing jokes?

Yeah, I'd wondered if the near-complete lack of 80s music (I think the only song I heard was during the party) was that they'd removed the soundtrack from the HBOMax version and kept it in the theater-release version, but it's evidently the same. Maybe they blew their music budget on the trailers. =/

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The script for Rocky would be greatly improved if Rocky simply defeated Apollo Creed effortlessly. Can’t believe Stallone it the bad way instead.

Do you think that's what I was saying? Really? Talk about a strawman.

If Rocky was written like Man of Steel they would have taken the fight into the audience and Rocky would have powerbombed Creed into people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

stratdax posted:

Do you think that's what I was saying? Really? Talk about a strawman.

If Rocky was written like Man of Steel they would have taken the fight into the audience and Rocky would have powerbombed Creed into people.

This would be extremely rad ngl.