Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I absolutely love that even when you're sponsored by someone else you're still sponsored by Marlboro. It's like a Bolshevik nanny state except the safety net provided to the population is tobacco sponsorship in motorsports. Bring back tobacco. #forzaPMI

Keep in mind I think that is the regional division of Marlboro, which isn’t directly controlled by PMI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Sulman posted:

I like the Italian tracks for this too, Imola and Monza had lots of colourful sponsors. Imola's didn't change much 81-93 as far as I can tell. I liked the POP84 and SINT 2000 stuff everywhere. I understand Bernie hated it. Silverstone/Brands too.

Lol. That’s a weird thing to hate.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Tsaedje posted:

MLS had major teams sponsored by pyramid schemes within the last decade

There was a super dumb one in the MLB and NBA, Spongetech. Turns out, the daughter of the CFO was in my grade in HS

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i didnt know it but jaime chadwick signed for prema. let her run some official test on the ferrari car

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

track day bro! posted:

yeah I mean it's never going to be like it was in the past, I started watching F1 in the 90's and even then it was creeping towards being the massive corpororate wankfest it is today. Part of my beef with F1 is that outside of North America for most people F1 is the only motorsport that exists.

I mean it's always going to have top billing but then it feels like F1 sortof eclipsed every other motorsport. It's like the Sky F1 channel, that could be used for so many different forms of motorsport. They did have indy car on it for like five minutes. But no it's easier to just show repeated highlights and the same 5 puff pieces on poois shamiltons hairdresser or we

I'm annoyed by how difficult it is to find a specific racing event legitimately. If I want to watch the world endurance it's in one place except that Le Mans is in another and I need to sign up to one thing to watch the IoMTT and another to catch the NW200. It's all some broadcast rights cash cow that's going to turn people off buying this stuff and might possibly kill the viewership dead.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
When did they stop doing the laurel wreaths on the podium?

The Dutch GP 83 was awesome. It was dominated by the turbos until all of them but the Ferraris broke down or crashed out, except for John Watson, who drove the non-turbo McLaren from fifteenth to third. That dude is emerging as a fave, when he can actually drive he consistently makes up for poor qualifying with these intense marches to the front.

Both Renaults failed to finish and the Ferraris took full advantage.

During his only line during the intro to the Italian GP, Hunt explains a gravel trap and wonders why they aren't more widely adopted.

Apparently Prost antagonized the tifosi to the point he was receiving death threats, had bodyguards, and was given special instructions in the event he had to retire at a marshal's post.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 30, 2020

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Prost out at Kylami :wow:

Piquet really took over the last quarter of the season. There were times it seemed he just willed his problematic engine across the finish. Even if you believe he didn't "earn" that first championship, he certainly earned this one.

Turbos dominated for most of the season, even if any given turbo team had a motor blow up, there were enough still running that they generally won. This really seems like the death rattle of the non-turbo engines.

This commentator has let us know at least twice a race for every race in the season that turbo exhausts spit fire when off the power.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm annoyed by how difficult it is to find a specific racing event legitimately. If I want to watch the world endurance it's in one place except that Le Mans is in another and I need to sign up to one thing to watch the IoMTT and another to catch the NW200. It's all some broadcast rights cash cow that's going to turn people off buying this stuff and might possibly kill the viewership dead.

in europe you can buy the entire wec season and lemans as a package on their site. that might be the same thing for the us but idk. all the imsa stuff is free to stream here which is nice too. Same goes for stuff like bathurst 12 hrs and n24, supergt etc most of it is on youtube for free

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

lol

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Prost Vs. Arnoux was an insanely bitter rivalry that hasn't really been touched on. The guys hated each other.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It would’ve been more compelling had Arnoux not sputtered out.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
To this day no-one is knows the exact reason why he was fired by Ferrari.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Has Arnoux ever commented on it at all? It was such a bizarre thing and given how well he had done it had to have been him sleeping with Enzo’s niece

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The rivalry was there but with the exception of the 82 French GP it doesn't really do anything interesting on track. Then Arnoux goes over to Ferrari and finds himself occasionally getting lapped by his "rival".

What's more, Prost isn't that refined at this point. He can do an excellent drive on his own but racing seems to go badly for him. Most noticeably he fell for Watson's fakeout in Long Beach 83 and he got spooked in Monaco in 82. At this point he's a fast lap setter who seems to fluff it when there's real pressure, and that makes it hard to set up a compelling battle.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

the corona quid posted:

Has Arnoux ever commented on it at all? It was such a bizarre thing and given how well he had done it had to have been him sleeping with Enzo’s niece

I thought the whole thing was just because he was a noted arsehole even by F1 driver standards and Ferrari just gave him one last chance at the start of 85 then went 'nope still a wanker' and dropped him. It probably didn't help that even though he finished 4th it was two entire laps down and meanwhile Alboreto was right on the tail of Prost.

Vando fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 30, 2020

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Finishing fourth in the opening race doesn’t strike me as a very “straw that broke the camel’s back” moment. Especially if your replacement for him is Stefan Johanssan

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Enzo remembered Dijon '79 and realised what a mistake he'd made signing Arnoux as a poor man's Gilles.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

His words were that he he had a disagreement with Postlewaithe and Forghieri about the car. Which I don’t buy for a second, as the 156/85 was class of the field, at least initially.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

Finishing fourth in the opening race doesn’t strike me as a very “straw that broke the camel’s back” moment. Especially if your replacement for him is Stefan Johanssan

The only reason Johansson even got that drive was because Bellof was unavailable for 1985 for some reason, likely Porsche links. He would have been in the seat otherwise. They shouldn’t have fired Arnoux.

Johansson sorta struck me as a bit full of himself - he blamed the reliability of the 156/85 as the reason that he wasn’t able to mount a title challenge(which was indeed very bad towards the end of the season.) while seemingly ignoring that Alboreto outdrove him.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Ferrari that year was so loving bizarre. Completely new engine design that worked brilliantly out of the box and then became an unreliable turd as the season went on.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Vando posted:

I thought the whole thing was just because he was a noted arsehole even by F1 driver standards and Ferrari just gave him one last chance at the start of 85 then went 'nope still a wanker' and dropped him. It probably didn't help that even though he finished 4th it was two entire laps down and meanwhile Alboreto was right on the tail of Prost.

He was actually liked more at Renault than Prost. The Renault factory workers preferred Rene.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

The Ferrari that year was so loving bizarre. Completely new engine design that worked brilliantly out of the box and then became an unreliable turd as the season went on.

I think they were spooked by how good the Honda became in the back half - the FW10 was the best car by mid-season.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Frond posted:

His words were that he he had a disagreement with Postlewaithe and Forghieri about the car. Which I don’t buy for a second, as the 156/85 was class of the field, at least initially.

I think the 'disagreement' probably boiled down to being asked 'why are you 2 laps down on your teammate get it together' and him trying to call the car poo poo in response, something that is traditionally well received over in Maranello.

Frond posted:

He was actually liked more at Renault than Prost. The Renault factory workers preferred Rene.
The faster dickhead will always get the benefit of the doubt, if Arnoux had been dunking on Alboreto all of 1984 they'd probably have put up with him more too.

e: or sacked him for making the Italian guy look bad

Vando fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 30, 2020

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Theophany posted:

Arnoux as a poor man's Gilles.
Could this be used as evidence to assert that Québec is the true Francophone nation and "France" is the sorry low class offshoot?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Could this be used as evidence to assert that Québec is the true Francophone nation and "France" is the sorry low class offshoot?

Québécois is the pure version of French. Everyone acknowledges this.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

the corona quid posted:

Québécois is the pure version of French. Everyone acknowledges this.

an unfortunate truth

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

bgreman posted:

When did they stop doing the laurel wreaths on the podium?

2018 apparently, because of course they got in the way of the sponsor logos.

“Drivers stopped wearing laurel wreaths on the podium partly following concerns they obscured sponsor logos. Victory laps were phased out as they cut into the availability of drivers to conduct post-race interviews.”

e: oh never mind, now I’m reading it was 1985 when the last one was worn. No idea. Sometime in the late 70s or early 80s, and it was the 2018 season when they considered bringing them back but I guess corporate shot that idea down pretty fast.

andyf fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 30, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Guess I need a name change

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Literally Sir Lewis Hamilton

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I've been enjoying playing Crash Team Racing on my Nintendo Switch console. I'm pleased to find that my nostalgia was not in fact misplaced and it remains the best kart game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Guess I need a name change

Get in there Sir!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Let's nip this in the bud:

Sir is not a name.
Sir Hamilton would only be correct if Hamilton was his given name, it's Sir Lewis.

If you need a handy way to remember, swap 'Sir' for 'Our'.

Incidentally this is also why 'Our Rossie' for Rosberg is especially egregious, even discounting his lack of Britishness and being poo poo.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sir Lewis or sir Hamilton is fine it’s interchangeable actually. gently caress you

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
sir this is a wendys drive thru

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
#StillIArise
:lewis:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ethanol posted:

Sir Lewis or sir Hamilton is fine it’s interchangeable actually. gently caress you

Sir Hamilton is extremely wrong. It's just not correct in any way. It's not correct any more than calling Patrick Stewart 'Sir Stewart' is correct.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Britain is definitely in safe hands when Brexit comes.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
The Sir stuff is lame trash from an island full of inbreds that eat boiled horse meat. It should be disregarded and ignored, like everything else British

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's just a government honour with a bunch of dumb traditions tacked on, don't waste your energy caring if you don't want to.