Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Please do not choke on the 5G modem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

the problem is that 5G refers to a specification for a variety of related wireless technologies. the IoT stuff is part of LTE and was carried forward into the 5G standards. in fact, basically ALL of LTE is included in “5G”. 5G FR2 is the stuff up in the 25GHz+ range and is LoS only as you say. it lets you claim ridiculous speeds, but is only really good for fixed wireless. The “bread and butter” is still FR1 which is basically LTE with more modulations allowed and better implementations of stuff like carrier aggregation. That’s all boring though and doesn’t sell phones

the weather forecasting stuff shouldn’t actually be an issue because nobody has purchased the band that’s right at the edge there.

So either way, going conspiracy over 5G towers is silly because it's just slightly faster LTE or it's line of sight and basically useless as a result. Good thing about the weather at least, I remember that being discussed as a possible issue early on but I guess it could be something where someone later looked at it and went ok never mind this won't actually be a problem.

If you use the 5G stuff as a step-off to talk about the societal ramifications of trying to connect every device together so you can harvest all of the data I'm down with that. Kinda Trueanon's thing for me has always been them taking the obvious birdbrained conspiracy stuff from the Q set and going "ok they're insane but there's a grain of truth in here, lets expand on that"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shipon posted:

That episode ironically kinda bought the marketing lies about 5G that the cell companies want to push on you, that it's gonna magically enable the internet of things or whatever. It's not gonna do any of that poo poo, signal penetration is gonna be worse and it's just a waste of spectrum and will potentially gently caress with weather forecasting.

the point is more that when you complain about the corporate owned tracking chips and their obvious :nsa: backdoors being embedded in every article of clothing, every book, every funko pop, that then you'll be dismissed as one of those 5G kooks. it doesn't matter if the technology actually will deliver, the label will.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

luckily even the “cheap” IoT radios are still waaaay too expensive for stuff like that

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Jonny 290 posted:

just finished the ww84 cth pod. what a fuckin amazing episode and terrible film

That (WW84 spoilers if you give a poo poo) the message of the film essentially being "better things aren't possible, everyone needs to say that they are sorry for wanting some material improvement in their lives and then to get back to work" was a major :crackping: moment for me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Does anyone else use the Pocketcast app or their website to listen to poo poo on their PC? for some reason with the web page on chrome, CTH's main stream keeps stopping with an error every ~2-9 minutes requiring to re-hit play, but blackwolf feeds, trueanon, cn, dick wolff, death/corner, etc all works smoothly without a problem. maybe I need to link it to a different RSS feed but no idea why it would just be one.

I downloaded the windows store app and seems to fix the problem but holy hell this thing is so laggy it makes old Steam look super responsive.

and yeah the WW88 episode is very good.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

Does anyone else use the Pocketcast app or their website to listen to poo poo on their PC? for some reason with the web page on chrome, CTH's main stream keeps stopping with an error every ~2-9 minutes requiring to re-hit play, but blackwolf feeds, trueanon, cn, dick wolff, death/corner, etc all works smoothly without a problem. maybe I need to link it to a different RSS feed but no idea why it would just be one.

I downloaded the windows store app and seems to fix the problem but holy hell this thing is so laggy it makes old Steam look super responsive.

and yeah the WW88 episode is very good.

I run into this problem all the time on the webapp and I still haven't found a solution. Apparently for android devices you can try turning off a battery optimizing setting and see if that helps.

Speaking of pocketcast problems, the big issue I keep on running into is that sometimes podcasts just won't play in pocketcasts. If I go to their source and play they work just fine. I haven't found any solution to that either.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
just want to tell everyone that making fun of "2020 is bad" is now less funny than the 2020 is bad stuff. sorry if you didnt get in early

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

If people think 2020 is bad I wonder what the reaction is going to be as we progress through 2021

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I run into this problem all the time on the webapp and I still haven't found a solution. Apparently for android devices you can try turning off a battery optimizing setting and see if that helps.

Speaking of pocketcast problems, the big issue I keep on running into is that sometimes podcasts just won't play in pocketcasts. If I go to their source and play they work just fine. I haven't found any solution to that either.

Reporting in as someone who uses an app called PocketFM (free, with a pro version that you don't really need imo). The app is usually pretty steady, if you don't ask it to do anything out of the ordinary and don't mind the occasional weirdness anyway. I think podcast tech itself is a little dated these days, given that it's mostly RSS. And, well,

quote:

Initial release RSS 0.90 (Netscape), March 15, 1999; 21 years ago
Latest release RSS 2.0 (version 2.0.11)
(March 30, 2009; 11 years ago)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

T-man posted:

Reporting in as someone who uses an app called PocketFM (free, with a pro version that you don't really need imo). The app is usually pretty steady, if you don't ask it to do anything out of the ordinary and don't mind the occasional weirdness anyway. I think podcast tech itself is a little dated these days, given that it's mostly RSS. And, well,

lol some of the poo poo Marx wrote predates the entire internet

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Feldegast42 posted:

If people think 2020 is bad I wonder what the reaction is going to be as we progress through 2021

Denial

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Feldegast42 posted:

2021 is going to be the year without problems.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Every year since 2015 has been 'the worst year ever' and every single time the next year has been worse

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

AnEdgelord posted:

Every year since 2015 has been 'the worst year ever' and every single time the next year has been worse

nah 2016 was pretty great. Remember Pokemon Go?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i only remember pokemon going to the polls

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Gripweed posted:

nah 2016 was pretty great. Remember Pokemon Go?

no, but i've been learning about Ingress. did you know that poo poo got an anime??

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/means_tv/status/1315779692214005765

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SILENCE

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Feldegast42 posted:

That (WW84 spoilers if you give a poo poo) the message of the film essentially being "better things aren't possible, everyone needs to say that they are sorry for wanting some material improvement in their lives and then to get back to work" was a major :crackping: moment for me

I kinda want to see it now because I can’t believe that that’s really the message of the movie

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it is and gal gadot also somehow got worse at acting.

i enjoyed pedro pascal's latino trump tho

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

crepeface posted:

it is and gal gadot also somehow got worse at acting.

i enjoyed pedro pascal's latino trump tho

I’m insanely tired of superhero movies that aren’t Deadpool so I probably won’t see it anyway

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://i.imgur.com/D2Upb2K.mp4

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I’m insanely tired of superhero movies that aren’t Deadpool so I probably won’t see it anyway

all i wanted was a noir new orleans Gambit movie, was that so much to ask

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Feldegast42 posted:

It also has a little light IDF propaganda thrown in for good measaure.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

i say swears online posted:

Gambit: ah mon ami ah guarantee you will love my hometown of noirleans

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

so how'd that go

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Centrist Committee posted:

lol some of the poo poo Marx wrote predates the entire internet

ok thanks for your contribution

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gambit should instead get a videogame by the Yakuza team.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Bad Lieutenant will have to keep tiding you over.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gambit should instead get a videogame by the Yakuza team.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Quotey posted:

just want to tell everyone that making fun of "2020 is bad" is now less funny than the 2020 is bad stuff. sorry if you didnt get in early

Which is still kind of insane, given either the increased chance a loved one could have perished this year or being pushed way harder and harsher living standards wise in general. Which is a hoot coming from people who spent years tut-tuting """idpol""".

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

i spent my freshman year at a fairly well-funded high school and took shop. it owned, but even then we just stuck to using donated scraps. one table saw, one bandsaw, one belt sander, a few palm sanders. not much else

the teacher would tell us about all his horrific injuries including the time he ripped open his nutsack along the seam

One time a kid tried to turn a magnet into to two magnets by compressing it in a vice and a piece shot out like a bullet and destroyed a humongous safety glass window. what a dope class

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
finally got around to watching this. great content list boys https://youtu.be/Uo1YPugo7sw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Progrockfarmer/status/1344821378382520320?s=19

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
loving lol at Taibbi having some right wing crank NYU professor on Useful Idiots to whine about cancel culture.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nothus posted:

loving lol at Taibbi having some right wing crank NYU professor on Useful Idiots to whine about cancel culture.

For like an hour and a half too. What a waste.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
always fun to see who gets real mad about taibbi and greenwald. a rare treat in lovely times

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Feral Integral posted:

One time a kid tried to turn a magnet into to two magnets by compressing it in a vice and a piece shot out like a bullet and destroyed a humongous safety glass window. what a dope class

yeah our room had one window up high with big blocks of solid chunky glass. people would toss hunks of wood into the tablesaw and one guy shot it right through one of the glass bricks. so cool lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

mcmagic posted:

For like an hour and a half too. What a waste.

I thought I had accidently downloaded a kunstlercast episode