Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

drgitlin posted:

It might be a passive solar house and we’re only seeing the back of it.

The other sides do not make any more sense:

The back looks like the way a small child draws a house, just a flat front and WINDOWS WINDOWS WINDOWS. I really appreciate the six different sliding doors that don't have consistent heights or fit, complements the single weird staggered window nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That rear roofline hurts my brain.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That rear roofline hurts my brain.

If you think that hurts, try thinking about how the rear roofline matches up with the front :psyboom:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Crunchy Black posted:

So obviously not the USA then.

Any place I've lived in both in Atlanta and unincorporated Dekalb/Fulton counties never said anything about arranging pickup, they had a compactor on site so they didn't care, if it fits it goes to the landfill.

On site where, Your apartment complex or the dump? You do have to call Dekalb to arrange pickup for large items, but I think if there's room in the truck and they're feeling motivated, they'll grab big stuff anyway sometimes? I had an old couch gone the next day with regular trash pickup, and I've had one sit for weeks until the county could send a truck for it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the rear sliding‐glass‐doorline.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I would like to see that single down spout handle a decent rain off that massive flat roof.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I would like to see that single down spout handle a decent rain off that massive flat roof.

Oh, more than "we're pretending to make it rain with the garden hose", and that patio is turning into a lake, I'm sure of it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

koshmar posted:

If you think that hurts, try thinking about how the rear roofline matches up with the front :psyboom:

/ ||
\ ||

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

im the gap between the bottom of the wall and the floor

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ashcans posted:

The other sides do not make any more sense:

The back looks like the way a small child draws a house, just a flat front and WINDOWS WINDOWS WINDOWS. I really appreciate the six different sliding doors that don't have consistent heights or fit, complements the single weird staggered window nicely.

This is absolutely terrible but I kinda dig it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is absolutely terrible but I kinda dig it.

It’s a fantastic concept ruined in execution. I’m right there with ya.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Relyssa posted:

im the gap between the bottom of the wall and the floor

Oh god those "walls" are just plywood aren't they.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The problem with having a dog for a client is that you keep asking them for feedback but all they say is

1960s Pizza Hut executive: What should be our buildings' most distinctive feature?

dog consultant: Mansard!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

That house above is definitely 1970s-80s passive solar gone horribly wrong. Listing says it was built in 1982 which is about right. With the windows and doors being "whatever was on sale" I doubt they're properly designed (angle and glazing should be adjusted to the suit the house's latitude/climate and orientation) which defeats the whole purpose.
Also most passive solar houses would have a higher wall on the north end and be partially bermed on that side to avoid the crazy ski slope back there.

Mr.Radar posted:

^^^ That channel is great. He's a true craftsman. ^^^

A local home inspection company has a YouTube channel that I follow. Today they posted a collection of their favorite photos of the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xat_7VTenDo

they had me at the load-bearing knob-and-tube

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I really like this as a concept, less so the execution.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh god those "walls" are just plywood aren't they.

I assumed metal plate to be rigid enough, but given the thread...you're probably right :v:

Edit: looks like the hand rail brackets are welded (no bolts showing through)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm the door that ended up half a meter off the ground

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sloppy posted:

I really like this as a concept, less so the execution.

I assumed metal plate to be rigid enough, but given the thread...you're probably right :v:

Edit: looks like the hand rail brackets are welded (no bolts showing through)

Construction adhesive, gotcha.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

drgitlin posted:

It might be a passive solar house and we’re only seeing the back of it.

My dad got a grant back in about '80 when I was still tiny to build a passive solar heated addition to our house. He got $2,500 from ND to do it. One large room with a basement. All windows on the south. Including the basement. It had insulated shutters for the windows at night to retain heat. Probably about 1200 square feet between the two floors.

It typically did not require any makeup heat. We had to put reflective shutters on in the summer. Then we boarded over 2 of the windows so it wasn't excessive. Even when it was below zero on a sunny day in th ewinter, it would get too hot.

It was a super-insulated house. It took heat from the peak of the roof and used a fan to move heat from the peak to the basement. It was always comfortable year round then. It did have windows that opened on two sides so you could get cross flow across the main living space. We did have a window AC unit but almost never turned it on. You could reverse airflow from the basement to the upstairs which usually took care of temp control.

If it got too cold, there was a little Jotel woodstove to heat the upstairs. We eventually added one baseboard electric unit on the far side from the stove. The fan would move the heat.

Yes, the addition looks silly. Steep roof, slab sides. Not pretty at all. But free heat is free heat.

Passive solar is amazing. If you're wide open to the south, with big eaves to cover when the sun is high you will never want for heat. Then pump heat and cool between the basement and first floor.

You make a fire early in the AM and let it burn out. By evening, stir the coals, throw a big log on and damp the fire. It's always pleasant and warm.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mr.Radar posted:

^^^ That channel is great. He's a true craftsman. ^^^

A local home inspection company has a YouTube channel that I follow. Today they posted a collection of their favorite photos of the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xat_7VTenDo

Shooting 4x3 in tyool 2020, shameful.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Living in Texas I always wondered how effective it would be to take everything done with passive solar heating and reverse it to build a house that saves on air conditioning in the summer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Living in Texas I always wondered how effective it would be to take everything done with passive solar heating and reverse it to build a house that saves on air conditioning in the summer.

Reversing everything would look like digging a bunker. And it does work.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

There are also things like windcatchers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windcatcher) that help with passive cooling.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It gets pretty hot in Arizona: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/phoenix-gives-net-zero-house-plans-to-anyone-who-wants-them

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

devmd01 posted:

When my kids are teenagers though that’s an entirely different matter on the usefulness of said cameras. Trust, but verify.

I'm confused. What does this mean?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
"Where are you [teenage offspring]? Oh you're at home?" *sees nobody has entered or exited the house in the last 8 hours*

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lol imagine just trusting your kids and not treating them like criminals

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Ehh I'm not agreeing with it, but with some of my rear end in a top hat siblings, a little "trust but verify" could have gone a long way.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My wife sent me this one. Try and guess the twist.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...zXDM0cIs5sgNkwI

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Oh surely you've seen a witch window bef... oh wait. Nevermind.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Lol imagine just trusting your kids and not treating them like criminals

I turned out okay as an adult but I did like...a lot of misdemeanors and maybe a few felonies ages 13-17.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Weembles posted:

Oh surely you've seen a witch window bef... oh wait. Nevermind.

This seems pretty timely to the conversation on keeping tabs on your teenage kids - I know you're not sneaking out, we're in lockdown until morning roll call!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Saint Freak posted:

Was scratching my head for a moment, looking at all those zones on the boiler.
poo poo...house isn't big enough for that many...
ohhhh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I got to this photo and thought “drat, that’s like a jail cell”. Little did I know.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Saint Freak posted:

Want to buy this and open a novelty air b'n'b.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Didn't see any outlets except for the one in the bathroom.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

First of May posted:

poo poo IN YOUR BEDROOM! ONLY $295/NIGHT!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

PainterofCrap posted:

poo poo IN YOUR BEDROOM! In suite bathroom. ONLY $295/NIGHT!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I guess it's a lot like living on Tatooine, build your house underground.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Elder Postsman posted:

There are also things like windcatchers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windcatcher) that help with passive cooling.

Not crappy construction (German audio):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSxDPjpqVaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

First of May posted:

You laugh but I bet there is a real market for this, there are people out there who want to get a feel for what prison life is like before they commit their crime. My friend spent 4 years in prison, I would kinda like to know what he experienced just so I can relate to him more.

You could also make the house into a pretty cool escape room.