Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
NO! My dank Winnie the Pooh memes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
thanks for the big post about how tencent's crime is 'being chinese' and also how good it is that the FBI and the CIA are nice to us Americans

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Replace tencent with any us company.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

temple posted:

Replace tencent with any us company.

this is essentially my point

- if it was an inevitability that chinese government control happens with every company that happens to be based in china, it'd already have happened to this game since, again, warframe has had a chinese parent company since 2014
- american companies already have a lot of the exact same issues (notably banning/punishing for stuff like ACAB and BLM while working directly with the american military and the FBI/CIA to portray them in a good light)
- people's hyperfixation on tencent is being stoked intentionally by people trying to foster anti-chinese sentiment in the US and it's really worth examining that in general

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think it's that controversial to ask people to at least be vaguely critical about corporations as a whole instead of buying into weird jingoism and gamer culture wars that do nothing but get in the way of getting to the actual roots of the overarching problems in the system

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I mean, I don't care that DE has part of it bought by tencent.

But to play devils advocate, if what the previous poster said was true, namely that cia/fbi/kgb/Chinese govt gets around spying on its own citizens by having other governments spy on their citizens, and spying on that govts citizens, then just trades data, is it not worse that it is a foreign company (potentially) harvesting data from you, rather than "any US company"? Or is it that any US company would sell data to the govt anyway?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, just trying to frame the argument against tencent.

Anyway, lavos is neat. After loving with it a bit, it's yet another frame that benefits from the invert hold/tap ability similar to wisp and Ivara. Way easier to infuse elements. Still wish that setting could be per-warframe though.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

flatluigi posted:

thanks for the big post about how tencent's crime is 'being chinese' and also how good it is that the FBI and the CIA are nice to us Americans

They aren't, but the point is that they ought to care a bit more about their own citizens than china does. You're right to be skeptical and jaded!
This is going to be my last post on the subject to avoid a big derail; I'd encourage everyone to do some reading and be thoughful.

DelphiAegis posted:

But to play devils advocate, if what the previous poster said was true, namely that cia/fbi/kgb/Chinese govt gets around spying on its own citizens by having other governments spy on their citizens, and spying on that govts citizens, then just trades data, is it not worse that it is a foreign company (potentially) harvesting data from you, rather than "any US company"? Or is it that any US company would sell data to the govt anyway?

This was part of the snowden releases, to give you a sense of timeframe. (Here's some reading 1 2 3 4. The bit that stood out to me as an example was the usgov going 'hey yahoo, give us all your user data or eat $250,000 daily in fines' as the sort of leverage. when a government wants a companies data, thats how it exerts leverage to get it)
This is what led to the GDPR being a thing, basically. (The eu version, tempora, was especially bad. 1 2)

if you want a more modern example of nationality impacting data services - it comes up every now and again in it threads here - foreign data companies are loathe/unable to use american cloud services to host their programs depending on their business.
If your application is hosted on us servers, anything you put in them can potentially(is going to, from a liability perspective) is going to end up in the hands of the us gov. If your business deals in, say, protected health and medical data, you can't go there.

So like, if you're a foreign company, if you have any trade secrets(or protected classes of consumer data) you want to stay secrets, you just can't use AWS at all.
that's why when they(I forget if it as MS or Amazon, or both) opened a new EU region in their cloud services it was so important: the actual physical datacenter isn't located in the US. This means no USA subpeonas and GDPR compliant companies can use it. (this is an old article that breaks down why you might care and is still relevant because the USA renewed section 215 this year.

(to be clear, the spying thing was the EU/usa/australia collaborating and saying 'we can't spy on our citizens but you can lets trade info'; china wasn't part of it, but they do have similiar programs. the takeaway is governments in general are able to suck up info out of companies on demand - or else - , china is just especially notorious for doing it.)

If people want to know more, I have pms, but again, I don't want to make this a huge derail.

With regards to warframe, it more or less comes down to whether tencent is going to take a more aggressive policy-pushing stance than leyou was.
We also don't know how much protection our info has under Canadian consumer law, or if tencent is going to try to leverage DE differently about it.
So, you'll just have to wait and see.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 31, 2020

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Someone showed how to use thermal sunder as an aoe nuke and now I can't stop bumping my fists.

This event has let me get all my favorite frames forma'd up. I need a build for wisp and limbo though.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

DelphiAegis posted:

Anyway, lavos is neat. After loving with it a bit, it's yet another frame that benefits from the invert hold/tap ability similar to wisp and Ivara. Way easier to infuse elements. Still wish that setting could be per-warframe though.

It's still a lovely mechanic, you should be able to set an element and have it stay that way indefinitely

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

temple posted:

Someone showed how to use thermal sunder as an aoe nuke and now I can't stop bumping my fists.

This event has let me get all my favorite frames forma'd up. I need a build for wisp and limbo though.

For Wisp, max out Str+Duration and dump as much range/efficiency as you can. Her Cabbages make her an excellent gun platform/support. You can forget her 2, 3, and 4 even exist. If you're going to drop an ability for a subsumed one, definitely ditch her 4.

For Limbo there are 2 builds: 1. Go full Range for clapping rooms with 4 to get the crap off the minimap while hunting for syndicate medallions. 2. Go full duration with a pinch of range, Limbo exists to cheese "defend the thing" missions, go max range to troll your teammates.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 31, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Warframe sells power for real money (usually in non-exclusive forms but if that's your standard, your standards are low), artificially drums up engagement metrics with FOMO and season pass bullshit, literally per the devs own words entices you to drop cash on it by making free pathways too tedious to bear, has issues with power creep, etc.

like i realize you'll simp for anything that passes the "can you pet the cat" test, and there's still a decent game under the cruft, but the cruft is intrusive, omnipresent, and generally kind of sucks

You don't seem to play much other online games, do you? Intrusive, omnipresent? Warframe compared to Destiny 2 FOMO which will unapologetically grab you by the balls and gently caress you if you leave the treadmill for a week, Warframe's "FOMO" by which I assume you mean Nightwave is like a kindly grandma who is not supposed to give you candy until you done homework but just can't resist and does it anyway. As for platinum, one or two 50$ purchases with 75% discount will get you enough to last for lifetime unless you just have to buy the whole shop for some reason.

Not to mention there wasn't any paid expansions and what the hell is even warframe season pass?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Nightwave is the season pass. Works almost identically to ones like the Halo MCC.

The FOMO elements come in with things like events for a not-obscenely-pointless grind for arcanes, login boosters instantly activating to "encourage" you to play if you wouldn't already, the Eidolon time cycle breeding toxic elitism in Eidolon groups that "have to" get the most possible tris in a single rotation...

Also the handful of things that don't come back or rarely come back that you "have to" grind for or pay for in time. See Baro, some prime related plat purchases, etc.

Not nearly as bad as many other games, but also not good. Like I think I mentioned, I've given up on my FOMO fears re Orphix Venom and just stopped. I'll probably do one or two more runs for the cosmetics and call it quits there. A time gated, super repetitive mission just for a reasonable chance at getting arcanes worth the effort? Nah, not getting pushed into multiple 45-minute runs a night just for that.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I think you are torturing the definition of fomo and season pass to further a narrative. Arcanes are still available after this event. There is no price on nightwave.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Look, I played when there wasn't a season pass, just alerts and I preferred it too, but compared to others it is nothing. Unlike Destiny (a game that I also like but also understand its drawbacks) Warframe's FOMO is almost non-existant. NW gives you so much time to complete, I don't even want to talk about it. As for the rest, would it really improve the game if there was no events, or login boosters, plat discounts etc? Also, AFAIK nothing is permanently locked (aside from Excalibur prime) things always come back eventually.

One thing that honestly feels kind of crap is slots, doesn't bother me as I got enough plat after one of two vault purchases but generally feels outdated and kind of lovely.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SkyeAuroline posted:

Nightwave is the season pass. Works almost identically to ones like the Halo MCC.

The FOMO elements come in with things like events for a not-obscenely-pointless grind for arcanes, login boosters instantly activating to "encourage" you to play if you wouldn't already, the Eidolon time cycle breeding toxic elitism in Eidolon groups that "have to" get the most possible tris in a single rotation...

Also the handful of things that don't come back or rarely come back that you "have to" grind for or pay for in time. See Baro, some prime related plat purchases, etc.

Not nearly as bad as many other games, but also not good. Like I think I mentioned, I've given up on my FOMO fears re Orphix Venom and just stopped. I'll probably do one or two more runs for the cosmetics and call it quits there. A time gated, super repetitive mission just for a reasonable chance at getting arcanes worth the effort? Nah, not getting pushed into multiple 45-minute runs a night just for that.

This isn't even close to a reasonable read.

There's four things on the list of items you may have permanently missed and care about, of which you can buy one (Founders' and Vanguard).

There's no chance on missing the arcanes because they're not missable. They are locked behind a massive amount of grind, yes, but they're available at all times.

Everything comes back, and this has been the case for every non-cosmetic item since 2014. If you got FOMO, that's just you. In Warframe you can't miss out on the grind.

Also you can just jump into a casual tridolon they fire multiple times a night. Toxic elitism in Warframe? Mostly just idiots in a public chat channel that don't know their rear end from their chin.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Yes, arcanes are "always available", but there's a reason the market prices drop like a rock when these events come out

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

BMan posted:

Yes, arcanes are "always available", but there's a reason the market prices drop like a rock when these events come out

Oh yeah, Tuxedo Catfish is a lot closer. I definitely wouldn't call it FOMO though, unless you're fearing missing out on a way to skip grind... honestly, the Harrow Twitch drop comes to mind.

There's so much grind. So, so much grind.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I wouldn't call it FOMO, and I still set an alarm to avoid grinding Harrow Systems again.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
FOMO only applies if there's no way to get something ever again.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Tbh, the most FOMO thing about warframe are the twitch drops.

and those are either 'i have this one chance to miss a 0.5%-1% drop chance hellgrind'(I'm looking at you braton vandal parts) or 'cosmetics' (even the teshin sculpture came back another round tho)

They just feel nasty because they have a habit of putting real pain in the rear end things on there and don't give you more than one shot at it. Sucks if you have work or something. They're really just 'missed chance to save a tiresome grueling amount of grind'.

It does feel like they've been pushing it a little hard recently tho.

Athodai hasn't been back. I think that was the tennocon twitch drop?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheParadigm posted:

Athodai hasn't been back. I think that was the tennocon twitch drop?

I have a feeling it will be back next year like the dex weapons

and re: tencent, the only fear I have is Steve realising how rich he has become and just quitting

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

endlessmonotony posted:

I mean that's what Warframe is, it's a distilled grind game.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That description kept me away from warframe for years, and even after hitting mr30 it seems overly reductive and dismissive of the aspects of the game that actually kept me going and i've enjoyed in my 2500 hours. But i can see how an approach of completionism checklisting will make you miserable (at least before you hit the point where you're basically done and that's the only pseudo-goal left you can set for yourself).

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the only fear I have is Steve realising how rich he has become and just quitting
His passion to play other games/watch tech demos and see a hot new fancy graphic tech and then try to put that into warframe feels legit authentic. He had a tweet chain about going deep into old audiocodecs over a weekend for basically no reason but curiosity.

If anything sane PR people like rebb will try to hide him better from publicly nerding out about engine stuff or making a few too many self-deprecating jokes about the rakes DE keeps stepping on. Then he can finally start that beauty and bodypainting / guitar lesson twitch channel he's always wanted.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

No Pants posted:

china's version of state capitalism (especially now under xi) often makes it difficult to separate the actions of private companies from those of the ruling party. you can argue the finer points of this one, but the criticism isn't coming from nowhere.

To be fair, there's a whole ton of similar stuff going on with the US's capitalism.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

This isn't even close to a reasonable read.

There's four things on the list of items you may have permanently missed and care about, of which you can buy one (Founders' and Vanguard).

There's no chance on missing the arcanes because they're not missable. They are locked behind a massive amount of grind, yes, but they're available at all times.

Everything comes back, and this has been the case for every non-cosmetic item since 2014. If you got FOMO, that's just you. In Warframe you can't miss out on the grind.

Also you can just jump into a casual tridolon they fire multiple times a night. Toxic elitism in Warframe? Mostly just idiots in a public chat channel that don't know their rear end from their chin.

Strictly calling it FOMO might not be the most accurate, but I think the spirit is there. Everything comes back, but with 0 guarantee of when or how, and often with artificial pressures to do it at a given time while the frequently absurd grinds are lifted. Harrow systems as mentioned are a great example on that front; you can always get Harrow systems by going out of your way to run one of DE's worst designed mission types over and over and over for the drop to pull through... but hey, if you're here RIGHT NOW for at least 30 minutes of a 1 hour period, you can get it without losing your sanity to Defection! You can always get Arcane Energize/Grace/Barrier as a 5% drop from a boss requiring 15-ish minute runs every time for casual groups and maybe pushing that down to 8-10 for dedicated hardcore groups, pinning at an expected time to get all 21 of a type at 105 hours of boss grinding per arcane, in dedicated 50 minute slots on a real time cycle, that a working adult will MAYBE get access to two of a night if they push all other concerns aside to maximize Eidolon time... or Orphix Venom lets you get each maxed platinum tier arcane in under 10 hours of much less difficulty without having to deal with the jackasses running 5x3s and 6x3s. But oops, that's time limited and mandates long runs for efficiency, better set aside all your other games for a month if you want to get it done and also still be able to go to work/have any sort of non-gaming life!

I was serious when I said Warframe isn't as bad as many other games are. This isn't Path of Exile that forces you to regrind everything you earned, and poo poo comes back eventually in some form or another after it's gone... not necessarily a soon "eventually" (see Banshee Prime's two year continuous vaulting, sure sucks if you liked Banshee and didn't want to get gouged on plat until Literally Right Now - and there we are again with "you better farm your relics now so you can crack enough parts, we'll put her back in the vault and it can be years again before you have the chance). I will still take Warframe's model FAR above any of the Korean MMOs I played when I was younger. But I deeply resent its attempted forced-engagement mechanics that run throughout the game.

I have no expectation that they'll get worse with the change in ownership, though. Like I said, Tencent has been pretty hands off with its acquisitions that I have experience with, besides their acquired devs jacking the cost of cosmetics (and that might even be a good thing if they let Tennogen keep its %, more for the creators). Major gameplay changes, unlikely. I'll also 100% admit I'm teetering on the burnout point for loot centric games and mostly play Warframe for lower pressure stuff with a friend, I'm just running up against a content wall where to continue advancing I have to farm a ton of poo poo I hate running, which is definitely feeding frustration.

tldr FOMO doesn't have to be "it'll never exist again" to be an artificial pressure to play over other games & to bend available time around not having to make WF a second job for weeks or months at a time to get anywhere.
tldr 2 I'm frustrated with Warframe and venting it into a void that happens to be able to respond.

post-tldr: I also have no issue with the Nightwave system whatsoever except these glass fuckers ruining my stealth missions

e: also I find "Tuxedo Catfish is closer" amusing considering we're saying the same thing, I'm just doing it in more than one sentence

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 31, 2020

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

username/post combo, etc.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

in other words nothing changed except instead of stealing data for the US government and getting banned for saying "free Palestine" you get banned for saying "lol Hong Kong" and China also gets some of your data they already have at this point.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Bholder posted:

in other words nothing changed except instead of stealing data for the US government and getting banned for saying "free Palestine" you get banned for saying "lol Hong Kong" and China also gets some of your data they already have at this point.

Do you currently get banned in Warframe for saying "free Palestine" in chat?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Beat Mastery Rank 30 test today with 1 second left.

Mission Failed

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Prop Wash posted:

Do you currently get banned in Warframe for saying "free Palestine" in chat?

Only if you're trying to scam people out of free palestines

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Guilty posted:

Only if you're trying to scam people out of free palestines

Bill Posters is innocent!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
can you still get the unreal tournament skins?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ended on Christmas.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Ended on Christmas.

gently caress

I dont think i had those weapons anyway, but i would've appreciated getting skins of one of my favorite games ever

EDIT: You know come to think of it, when it comes to giveaways or cool stuff, i nab them and just log off. Havent played since the debut of Deimos and that feels like that happened two years ago

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Stahlta is a fantastic gun so getting it free was a nice handout (people complain about the grind but I got everything but the Velox from Deadlock with ease, and only didn't get the Velox because I just stopped farming when I had the other 3). Ogris and Drakgoon are fine but power crept.

If it makes you feel better the skins apparently hosed with the stats negatively.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
They were fine for the regular version, but for the kuva-variants of the guns switching to the skins also switched the stats to the regular version, because DE is funny like that

Fargin Icehole posted:

I dont think i had those weapons anyway, but i would've appreciated getting skins of one of my favorite games ever
It also included the base weapons and 3 slots for them. I didnt bother to get them but i think they were 2k4 or UT3 models?

Fargin Icehole posted:

that feels like that happened two years ago
lucky you, i was gonna say five

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Prop Wash posted:

people sliding into this thread like Nezha with maximum friction mods to defend Tencent and accuse all its detractors of being *checks last ten posts* neo-Nazis, racists, capital-G Gamers, Sinophobic, gormless fucks

Yeah, not sure why people are defending Tencent, or at least accusing Tencent's detractors of racism.

While I don't doubt that many of Tencent's opposition do so out of xenophobia, the fact remains that Tencent is not a good company.

This video by Youtuber Iiluminaughtii goes into detail about Tencent as a company and gives balanced, researched critiques.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mpjW6oeJBI

It's bad enough they're another corporate monolith, but they've got problems beyond that as well which give me cause to worry.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

This is less about defending Tencent and more about going against this sensationalist bullshit on how Tencent is EXTRA BAD because China is worse somehow.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm gonna name my kubrow FREE TIBET and see if I get permabanned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

And Tyler Too! posted:

username/post combo, etc.

Was originally a name I used on WoW, based on the joke that I don't actually enjoy what I do, I just do it because it beats doing nothing.

At the time I was playing a Priest while having a bucket next to me 24/7. My teeth still hurt. I associate playing healers with the taste of bile.