Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

cant cook creole bream posted:

Power Pack was fun this week. It's kinda funny that this and the current Iron Man is about A villain manipulating heroes to produce electrical power to the masses, only to take it for himself.

I enjoyed it, even if I'm a little sick of Marvel's teen heroes being duped by fake mentors. It happened to Gravity. It happened to the Runaways. There has to be a more engaging story you can tell with underage superhumans. But... it's Ryan North, so he gets a little leeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the Runaways one was... I'd have preferred if the guy was well-meaning but incompetent instead of 'let's murder this pretty co-ed to up my Q rating' evil. I feel like Rowell's gone a little too hard on the 'all adults are evil' element, which is especially weird when half the crew ARE adults now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, the Runaways one was... I'd have preferred if the guy was well-meaning but incompetent instead of 'let's murder this pretty co-ed to up my Q rating' evil. I feel like Rowell's gone a little too hard on the 'all adults are evil' element, which is especially weird when half the crew ARE adults now.

Replace "adults" with "boomers" and it works perfectly.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Gaz-L posted:

Hoping the next arc gets away from that for a while, but when we've had two issues in... 9 months...

It's a good thing her run is the first one since Vaughan's that's been worth reading.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Inkspot posted:

I enjoyed it, even if I'm a little sick of Marvel's teen heroes being duped by fake mentors. It happened to Gravity. It happened to the Runaways. There has to be a more engaging story you can tell with underage superhumans. But... it's Ryan North, so he gets a little leeway.

Well its either that or rope them into the Civil War 1.5 they have going on with the Champions.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope they beat the Wizard then realize that his idea actually has legs and do it for real. They ARE called the Power Pack, after all.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

nemesis_hub posted:

Wow, now that I’ve read the whole thing, I can confidently say: Last Remains was terrible! Absolutely nothing happened after all that build up. Might stop reading from here on tbh. I just want Spider-Man to be good again, for an extended period. More Zdarsky or Taylor, less Slott or Spencer.

I must have missed something because I thought Norman was rendered un-evil by the Sin-Eater. Maybe that wore off when I wasn't paying attention.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Has anyone read the new Werewolf by Night yet? Is it any good?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I must have missed something because I thought Norman was rendered un-evil by the Sin-Eater. Maybe that wore off when I wasn't paying attention.

He says he took magical countermeasures in preparation after Kindred first showed up. He was faking this whole time, apparently.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

JordanKai posted:

Has anyone read the new Werewolf by Night yet? Is it any good?

I really liked issue #1, and #2 & #3 have been decent but a bit rushed as it's only a 4-issue mini which is a shame as I'd like to see more of the main character and his partner. The Veregge DPS in #3 is incredible though (it's a Native legend depiction that is so cool), and it's all very enjoyable, with a straightforward plot that does the business.

Agreed with previous posters that Power Pack #2 was great fun. Nico Leon was a great pic for art in the absence of Gurihiru and North is a natural fit.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Metalshark posted:

I really liked issue #1, and #2 & #3 have been decent but a bit rushed as it's only a 4-issue mini which is a shame as I'd like to see more of the main character and his partner. The Veregge DPS in #3 is incredible though (it's a Native legend depiction that is so cool), and it's all very enjoyable, with a straightforward plot that does the business.

Agreed with previous posters that Power Pack #2 was great fun. Nico Leon was a great pic for art in the absence of Gurihiru and North is a natural fit.

i grabbed the hell out of those veregge covers a month back

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Start 2021 right with a Kelly Thompson-penned Kate Bishop short story:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/culture-lifestyle/new-hawkeye-kate-bishop-short-story-by-kelly-thompson

May we all be as happy as Jeff in 2021!

https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1344824530041126913

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I don’t know, I had the exact same reaction as you, so we both missed it. Just one of the many irritating things about this story.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

That was fun, Kelly ans Kate own.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Look at him there, doing his best.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Out of all the Marvel characters to go Rear Window best Hawkeye is a solid choice.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think the idea is that Last Remains is meant to be act two of a three-part story (Sins Rising being the first, obviously), but I'm not 100% sure why they felt the need to not come out and say it.

just speculating, but I'm guessing that the story arc that actually answers the questions people thought Last Remains would answer ("how does this relate to OMD?" and "how did Harry become Kindred?") will tie into the Mephisto story/event Aaron has been building up to in Avengers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My buddy let me borrow the last years worth of Marvel books and I'm just getting caught up on ASM today and I'm confused, did Harry Osborn die again? I feel like I'm missing something. He was reusrrected in BND, is this version that guy or is this the Harry that died in Spectacular 200?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

My buddy let me borrow the last years worth of Marvel books and I'm just getting caught up on ASM today and I'm confused, did Harry Osborn die again? I feel like I'm missing something. He was reusrrected in BND, is this version that guy or is this the Harry that died in Spectacular 200?

We don't know for sure yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought maybe I missed something. There's a panel calling back to that story so I figured Harry is now aware that he died and came back to life.

But did Harry die again at some point after BND?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Rhyno posted:

I thought maybe I missed something. There's a panel calling back to that story so I figured Harry is now aware that he died and came back to life.

But did Harry die again at some point after BND?

Nope, he hasn't died. But it still hasn't been fully revealed what this Harry is exactly. Whether he's the Harry that was brought back to life, some left-over Harry-essence, or what.

But it's probably just the Jackal.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My theory is somehow dead Harry's memories have ended up in alive Harry.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

My theory is somehow dead Harry's memories have ended up in alive Harry.

That's what I'm thinking from the hints and panels. I think MJ is who wished for Harry to come back. And possibly her and Peter being back together is breaking down the spell that changed reality.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Don't worry, the new ASM is very weird. Is it good? Is it worth 50 issues of build up?

:rip:

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Today’s Hellions continues to be great. Disturbing ending, in a good and interesting way.

X-Factor continues to feature interesting character interactions amidst kind of boring plots.

Eternals was good but I was so hype for it that I was a bit disappointed, probably inevitable after all this time. Ribic’s art looks... off somehow? Didn’t make as much of an impression as his Thor or Secret Wars stuff.

I dropped ASM and Thor, so if anyone wants to share what happens in them please do.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember being more interested when I was little in tie-in comics for the big event. Guardians this week just makes me realize how... banal Knull is. He's just generically evil for the sake of evil. No grandeur or interesting motivation.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Eternals #1 is real good, you guys

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

El Tortuga posted:

Nope, he hasn't died. But it still hasn't been fully revealed what this Harry is exactly. Whether he's the Harry that was brought back to life, some left-over Harry-essence, or what.

But it's probably just the Jackal.

At this point I just want to know how he got Lilly Hollister pregnant while being a loose collection of demon bugs.

And also who is currently watching that baby.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Oh hey, so (ASM spoilers) Norman was faking being evil again. What a rollercoaster!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
GotG spoilers: Knull is so dull but "Sun's out gun's out" was such an incredible moment of Al Ewing cutting to the core of a character and then amplifying what works about them. He's such a treasure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Al's actually really good at taking these lovely event crossovers and making them work in his titles. I think the Ultimates was the closest Civil War 2 came to making Carol's side make sense, even if his answer was basically 'she's applying the sunk cost fallacy like a woman possessed'.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Al's actually really good at taking these lovely event crossovers and making them work in his titles. I think the Ultimates was the closest Civil War 2 came to making Carol's side make sense, even if his answer was basically 'she's applying the sunk cost fallacy like a woman possessed'.

One of his first Marvel comics was "Mighty Avengers" that started as an Infinity tie-in, then got re-launched immediately after Axis turned half his cast evil.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Ooh yeah. His last few issues of Mighty Avengers were really beautiful and moving iirc.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

I have no familiarity with the characters and I'm here for Gillen and Ribic, but it seemed okay to me. A lot to take in for a newcomer but a promising start. Some of the art on Spite's face was...questionable though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I have no familiarity with the characters and I'm here for Gillen and Ribic, but it seemed okay to me. A lot to take in for a newcomer but a promising start. Some of the art on Spite's face was...questionable though.

The Gaiman mini with JRJR is pretty good, and they've been barely used at all since then, so having not read the new one myself since my store didn't get their books today, that's probably a good place to go if you want more context.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

Yeah, it was really good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wish they'd started with a less overdone villain, though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

The Gaiman mini with JRJR is pretty good, and they've been barely used at all since then, so having not read the new one myself since my store didn't get their books today, that's probably a good place to go if you want more context.

Did anything ever happen with the Celestial in San Fran? I remember it being mention in Fraction's Uncanny run but not much else.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did anything ever happen with the Celestial in San Fran? I remember it being mention in Fraction's Uncanny run but not much else.

I think Gillen did some poo poo with it, but either one of us is thinking of the other run or they came right after each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i think the dreaming celestial was hastily resolved/moved off the board during the crossover among the lapham age of apocalypse, pak's reality-hopping x-treme x-men, and one of the ancillary x-men books.