Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm guessing maybe it's just a Canadian thing because it's similar here in some areas, I dunno why people are being lovely to you about it. I don't know if it's a bylaw or not in my hometown but when I was growing up shoveling the public sidewalk in front of the house was always part of the work involved, especially if you have elderly/disabled neighbours.

I think all the internet marxists are thinking this is some kind of HOA complaint when no, it's actually dangerous when people don't clear their walks and elderly people have a real bad time with it. I volunteer to clear the walkways in front of older folks' houses and it sucks seeing a lot of completely able bodied people just letting 3" of packed ice build up in front of their place. Some winters I would borrow my father in law's tile scraper to go around and chisel off the really bad spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

drat I didn't realize they were making new bascule bridges? My hometown has one of those. (Mystic, CT)

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

priznat posted:

I think all the internet marxists are thinking this is some kind of HOA complaint when no, it's actually dangerous when people don't clear their walks and elderly people have a real bad time with it. I volunteer to clear the walkways in front of older folks' houses and it sucks seeing a lot of completely able bodied people just letting 3" of packed ice build up in front of their place. Some winters I would borrow my father in law's tile scraper to go around and chisel off the really bad spots.

The gently caress are you going on about "internet marxists" the hell does this have to do with marxism?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Kanine posted:

The gently caress are you going on about "internet marxists" the hell does this have to do with marxism?

'Marxist' is idiot for 'baddie', the bad people think that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Strawman posted:

'Marxist' is idiot for 'baddie', the bad people think that.

And lol at going from "The bylaws here say you have to clear the walks by 10 am" to "this isn't an HOA complaint." The walkways need to be cleared for safety, but demanding people take time off work to do it is nuts, and that's the unavoidable result with a set time for clearing to be done independent of when the snow actually stops.

Seriously gently caress anyone who doesn't deal with it eventually, though.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Seriously gently caress anyone who doesn't deal with it eventually, though.

Its to bad we will never solve the conundrum of who should deal with maintaining public spaces and are forced to penalize people for not doing it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

glynnenstein posted:

DC has a pretty sensible law that you must clear sidewalks adjacent to your property within 8 daylight hours of the snow ending. Plenty of time to get it done or hire someone if you can't. They mostly don't bother with residential, but commercial will sometimes get billed the cost for the city to send guys out to clear it plus a $25 fine.

People who can but don't clear their sidewalks are assholes. It hardly snows in DC so it's not like it's a burdensome thing you do all the time. We got less than an inch of snow in 2020.

Yeah, but when the poo poo hits the fan there, people go nuts, and it can be very hard to move snow around.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, but when the poo poo hits the fan there, people go nuts, and it can be very hard to move snow around.

Everybody can walk on top of the continuous field of abandoned cars until folks can clear the sidewalks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So question from a land where there's no snow

To start with there's snow on everything. A plow goes through and pushes all the snow off the road and onto the footpath. Then either a snowblower comes through and moves all the snow back... onto the road? Or people come out with shovels and move it... into their gardens? Into large piles in designated spots? Where does the snow go, in other words?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It goes in the devilstrip, op

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

To start with there's snow on everything. A plow goes through and pushes all the snow off the road and onto the footpath. Then either a snowblower comes through and moves all the snow back... onto the road? Or people come out with shovels and move it... into their gardens? Into large piles in designated spots? Where does the snow go, in other words?

The sort of footpath that gets considered to be the property owner's responsibility isn't generally directly next to the road. There's road, about a sidewalk width of grass, then a sidewalk width of sidewalk. So the plow comes through and pushes ~70% of the snow onto the path, ~30% instead ends up on the sidewalk, and the shoveling would be putting the rest of it onto that grass as well.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1344364578549993474

good thread

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

just loving tag 21-year-old me by name in it next time, c'mon

could you loving don't

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

The Lone Badger posted:

Anywhere with grass, basically. Sometimes landscaping areas if necessary. A hand shovel or plow mounted to a tractor/truck slides snow into a ridge just off the edge of the pavement (you can use the shovel to pick up snow but it gets very tiring very quickly so it's only for certain areas). A snowblower can throw into the middle of the yard and over shrubs but costs more than a shovel and doesn't have the clearing width of a plow, has the advantage in very deep snow though because snow gets heavy fast and trying to push a bunch of it at once quickly overwhelms your traction.

Eventually you'll get a warm day and at least some of it will melt.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

This speaks volumes of army at me. Especially the "INSP DUE" spray painted on those stands.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

This made my rear end in a top hat clench.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Lone Badger posted:

Like Kormak said, using the Ohio term, sidewalks are usually set back from the street for this reason, but it can still be a real problem that there’s only so much real estate to pile snow on. If the road is twenty‐four feet wide, the sidewalk is four, and the devilstrip is seven, a foot of snowfall makes a pile five feet high on the verge. Compaction helps, but it can still end up high enough that it’s difficult to get snow up there by hand.

Comedy extreme:

(That’s in a mountainous area of Japan. There are no sidewalks to worry about.)

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 31, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Do you mean "nature strip"? The bit with the grass?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

This dude should be put on a 72 hour hold rather than NJPed, because thats clearly a suicide attempt.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Memento posted:

Do you mean "nature strip"? The bit with the grass?

yes yes, the treelawn, no man's land, you doddling bafoon!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

That trench doesn't look like it's properly braced.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Genocide Tendency posted:

This dude should be put on a 72 hour hold rather than NJPed, because thats clearly a suicide attempt.

I'm the tow bar waiting to trip someone in the next bay.

Hopefully the private responsible for the foreground.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm in one of the only cities I know of where snow is actually removed. The city pushes snow from sidewalks into the street, then a giant truck-sized blower puts it into the back of a dump truck. We put it in disused quarries and under the highway interchanges. The piles are sometimes still there in July.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Are those "Harbor Freight" brand jackstands?

If so, that's very dangerous.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah. The military buys the most expensive jackstands it can find. Because if you don't max out your budget, how are you going to ask for more money next year?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Nah. The military buys the most expensive jackstands it can find. Because if you don't max out your budget, how are you going to ask for more money next year?

The most expensive jack stands from the lowest bidder.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

SimonSays posted:

I'm in one of the only cities I know of where snow is actually removed. The city pushes snow from sidewalks into the street, then a giant truck-sized blower puts it into the back of a dump truck. We put it in disused quarries and under the highway interchanges. The piles are sometimes still there in July.

Around here it goes to the mall. Giant mountains of snow in the parking lot.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

jetz0r posted:

The military pretty much exclusively buys American made tools when possible, sometimes that means getting nice tools, sometimes it just means throwing the Snap-On ratchet in the bin when it breaks because you don't have a tool truck.

That's excellent, how many of those risk factors can you identify in my favorite industrial/nuclear horrorshow accident of all time?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Elviscat posted:

The military pretty much exclusively buys American made tools when possible, sometimes that means getting nice tools, sometimes it just means throwing the Snap-On ratchet in the bin when it breaks because you don't have a tool truck.

Yeah, but the guy who drove his truck up to the pentagon made bank.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dang. I've always considered a landslide from the perspective of being at the bottom of a slope and having land slide down towards you. Having land slide away from under you house and leave a crater is wild.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

jetz0r posted:

Not when it comes to readily available consumables. If poo poo is already made for the civilian market, they'll buy what they can order from Grainger or order from Matco, Mac, Snap-on.

My issue toolbox at my line unit was KD tools. Came in a dope toolbox that had foam cut drawers, rollers, a luggage handle, tough as hell. Also had tool backpacks that weighed about 80 pounds full.

Third shop was an entirely different experience because I was in one unit but attached to another, so our tools were squad controlled. We kept them in a pit in a single bay garage that we were using as an office. Any time we had to trundle off with our assigned unit for exercises, we had to empty the pit into a truck. Did not matter in the slightest if it was even field expedient useful, so this meant taking engine hoists when we had a perfectly capable crane on the HEMTT wrecker. If something was truly hosed in the field, it was getting drug home anyhow.

The most expensive cheapest bidder stuff tends to apply to specialty market poo poo, stuff made specifically for the military, like toilet seats for a C17 (why not just use one for a 737, who knows, big air force shits maybe). Also supply folks with military paid credit cards, never underestimate a battalion supply sergeant and his government issued Visa to find something outlandishly expensive and not even blink as they order 5 dozen.

If you want to make some money on a side project and have engineering or machining abilities, make a special tool for a military vehicle. Flip through publicly available TMs, find one of many probable places that some part a process can be improved by your patented UrTool© and charge from nose through rear end for it after sending one free sample to a support brigade maintenance officer. Boom, now you care about tax cuts.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 31, 2020

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

FuturePastNow posted:

On the one hand, it looks like the cyclist had the right of way there

On the other hand, the cyclist deserved it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

haha you got genespliced sucka

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Man, it's always funny to see weird-rear end probes. It's less schadenfreude and more a reminder of our capricious lizard kings.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Serephina posted:

weird rear end-probes ... lizard kings

aliens confirmed

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Like Kormak said, using the Ohio term, sidewalks are usually set back from the street for this reason, but it can still be a real problem that there’s only so much real estate to pile snow on. If the road is twenty‐four feet wide, the sidewalk is four, and the devilstrip is seven, a foot of snowfall makes a pile five feet high on the verge. Compaction helps, but it can still end up high enough that it’s difficult to get snow up there by hand.

Comedy extreme:

Ahhh, the devil strip! A term only I ever seem to know, now that I no longer live in the Akron area.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Serephina posted:

Man, it's always funny to see weird-rear end probes. It's less schadenfreude and more a reminder of our capricious lizard kings.

a steady hand is needed to steer the rudder

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nocheez posted:

Ahhh, the devil strip! A term only I ever seem to know, now that I no longer live in the Akron area.

It was fun to look up and boggle out how extremely dialectically specific wiktionary said it was.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
X-posting from the PYF meme thread:

https://i.imgur.com/iV6VCor.mp4

(Sound is not required but makes the editing make sense.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why turn around there