Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sab Sabbington posted:

So I, unexpectedly, ended up bouncing off of Etrian Odyssey 4 hard and am gonna sit on it for a while until I can revisit it on actual 3DS hardware. I've no idea when I started getting so picky about my RPGs since I used to just devour anything tossed in front of me, but here I am.

I can't recall if I asked this before in this thread, but does anyone know of any non-Switch, relatively modern stuff with base building/upgrading or some form of semi-detached metaprogression? Rune Factory 5 that's supposed to drop next year has me hype. I haven't checked out the subgenre since I grabbed Ys VIII a while back and am hoping I can find something new before I go replay Dark Cloud 2 for the 10th time.

Anyone have any strong opinions on the Atelier series, and think that might scratch a similar itch?

ni no kuni 2 has a kingdom building mechanic

pathfinder kingmaker also has a kingdom building mechanic but thats way more on the wrpg side

other than that I cant think of anything recent. atelier is well liked itt but i dont think they have any base building stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

babypolis posted:

ni no kuni 2 has a kingdom building mechanic

pathfinder kingmaker also has a kingdom building mechanic but thats way more on the wrpg side

other than that I cant think of anything recent. atelier is well liked itt but i dont think they have any base building stuff

I completely forgot about Ni No Kuni 2, I played it when it came out and enjoyed it a lot, but I think it's impossible not to enjoy it when the first 15 minutes are as batshit insane as they are.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ni no kuni 2 is... uh, not very good at the castle building. most of it is idlegame investment bullshit and your growth comes primarily from grinding materials and gold when actually good castle building comes from recruiting new characters. come back in sixteen hours! it also commits the cardinal sin of you can't recruit everyone unless you've already finished the game, and on top of that recruiting everyone doesn't change anything about the ending so there's really no reason to redo it unless you really, really want an achievement.

if you'll play anything, then it's not a -bad- recommendation. but also isn't a very good game, either, and will probably leave you with a crushingly neutral impression.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Spikes32 posted:

Alright that's pretty clear I'll start playing it immediately

One caveat, how much do you like Dragon Quest? And if the answer is no: how much are you willing to put up with Dragon Quest for a good story and characters?

If you're not willing to put up with a LOT of dragon quest combat, probably just start with Yakuza 0 and kinda go from there, then pick up 7 when it's on sale.

If you love Dragon Quest then strap in cause you're gonna have a lot of fun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fur20 posted:

ni no kuni 2 is... uh, not very good at the castle building. most of it is idlegame investment bullshit and your growth comes primarily from grinding materials and gold when actually good castle building comes from recruiting new characters. come back in sixteen hours! it also commits the cardinal sin of you can't recruit everyone unless you've already finished the game, and on top of that recruiting everyone doesn't change anything about the ending so there's really no reason to redo it unless you really, really want an achievement.

if you'll play anything, then it's not a -bad- recommendation. but also isn't a very good game, either, and will probably leave you with a crushingly neutral impression.
ni no kuni is one of the worst series that people pretend to like

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

One caveat, how much do you like Dragon Quest? And if the answer is no: how much are you willing to put up with Dragon Quest for a good story and characters?

If you're not willing to put up with a LOT of dragon quest combat, probably just start with Yakuza 0 and kinda go from there, then pick up 7 when it's on sale.

If you love Dragon Quest then strap in cause you're gonna have a lot of fun

Counterpoint:

I hate Dragon Quest and had no issue with Yakuza 7. Conversely, Yakuza 0 like the rest of the 0-6 game has deplorably bad combat to me and I won't touch any Yakuza game that goes back to that.

That said they are sort of action RPGs (they play more like Shenmue/River City Ransom) if they want to try that. They will be on game pass by march(?) with 0-2 already there.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Fur20 posted:

Endorph posted:

ni no kuni is one of the worst series that people pretend to like

I unironically liked both games but my bar for gameplay is influenced dramatically by how charming I find something and my willingness to just drop poo poo once I want to move on to something else.

I also have an irreparably broken brain and unironically enjoy a lot of awful games as long as they scratch at least one extremely specific itch I'm looking for.

This is also extremely belated, like dozens of pages at this point probably, but to whomever recommended I check out Star Renegades after Scarlet Grace non-stop poo poo the bed on me, thank you. It is very good.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I haven't played a dragon quest game since the game boy color so we'll see!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

Counterpoint:

I hate Dragon Quest and had no issue with Yakuza 7. Conversely, Yakuza 0 like the rest of the 0-6 game has deplorably bad combat to me and I won't touch any Yakuza game that goes back to that.

That said they are sort of action RPGs (they play more like Shenmue/River City Ransom) if they want to try that. They will be on game pass by march(?) with 0-2 already there.

Yeah I probably should have specified that I specifically mean Dragon Quest combat. There was a big discussion about it in the Yakuza thread for like a page, but for me at least I really don't enjoy the combat in Yakuza 7 because it just feels really unintetactive in the same way DQ games feel to me.

It's still a really good game and if you like RPGs I think it's definitely worth it, but I'm at about 40 hours or so in, just got to chapter 11, and I'm just completely over the combat at this point. Which is a shame because at least so far there's no way to just toss some money and avoid fights entirely like in 0

Luckily my wife loves DQ games so she's just playing it and I'm watching the plot and side quests which works for me!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

y7 doesn't even have anything in common with how dragon quest plays other than uhhh being turn based

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Elvis_Maximus posted:

at least so far there's no way to just toss some money and avoid fights entirely like in 0

Poundmates

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Poundmates

That's true I really should use them more tbh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Which is a shame because at least so far there's no way to just toss some money and avoid fights entirely like in 0

Hariti's amulet is an equipable item that turns off random encounters. If you're in chapter 11 you should have at least one.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sab Sabbington posted:

I unironically liked both games but my bar for gameplay is influenced dramatically by how charming I find something and my willingness to just drop poo poo once I want to move on to something else.

I also have an irreparably broken brain and unironically enjoy a lot of awful games as long as they scratch at least one extremely specific itch I'm looking for.

This is also extremely belated, like dozens of pages at this point probably, but to whomever recommended I check out Star Renegades after Scarlet Grace non-stop poo poo the bed on me, thank you. It is very good.

hey that was me! im glad you liked it

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

Hariti's amulet is an equipable item that turns off random encounters. If you're in chapter 11 you should have at least one.

Oh heck wait really? Absolutely going to slap that on at some point

I've just been picking equipment with the biggest attack numbers on them. Or the XP up stuff at least.

The game just spiked the difficulty a ton and now the chinatown area has level 40 dudes that we can't kill, so probably have to fight a little bit for xp at least. Though it seems like going to the sewers and trying to kill the metal slime people there is the best way

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

babypolis posted:

hey that was me! im glad you liked it

I figured I would since, regarding Roguelikes, I fall into the 'roguelite features almost always improve my experience' camp, but setting up combos and learning the pretty depthy mechanics felt very good, especially since it's on Game Pass.

Has anyone else checked out Monster Sanctuary, also on Game Pass? It's has Metroidvania-style overworld movement, JRPG turn-based combat, with monster collector/egg raising mechanics that influence how you're able to progress in the Overworld (along with how the monsters fight in combat). I haven't gotten before far with it atm, but it's cute and extremely unique and I enjoyed the few hours I've put into it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Oh heck wait really? Absolutely going to slap that on at some point

I've just been picking equipment with the biggest attack numbers on them. Or the XP up stuff at least.

The game just spiked the difficulty a ton and now the chinatown area has level 40 dudes that we can't kill, so probably have to fight a little bit for xp at least. Though it seems like going to the sewers and trying to kill the metal slime people there is the best way

If you can get to chapter 12 you'll unlock the battle arena which in addition to providing amazing gear and crafting mats, also gives gobs of XP and some ok money. The metal slime people can be easily handled by Joon's or DLC matriarch multihit gun skills and provide good XP, but you just need enough to get to Sotenbori for the battle arena. Don't forget there are XP multiplier items for both level and job xp.

If you want to cheese your way through combat as fast as possible Dealer's skill darts airstrike is mother flipping stupidly overpowered and on the boys the fortuneteller class has an inheritable lightning skill that absolutely mulches the three enemies it hits when you use it.

Further, don't forget to switch jobs as the stat bonuses they provided on level up (the ones with yellow squares on the skills list screen) are permanent across all classes. It provides a good bit of extra stats and you're reaching a point where the first 10 levels of job xp are trivial to earn.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 31, 2020

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i had a lot of fun with monster sanctuary

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Labyrinth of Refrain has a mechanic called Soul Transfer thats sort of a combination of class change and prestiging. Your character resets to level 1 but you can change their job, select some skills to carry over and they gain "soul clarity" which increases the stat gains as they level up. At maximum soul clarity a character gains about 3-4 times as many stats per level.

This system doesn't work at all right.

1) The tutorial tells you every 8 levels until level 80 you get more soul clarity when you transfer and can transfer skills and that theres no reason to go past 80 for this reason. It does not mention, critically, that this is a lie. You keep getting soul clarity until level 99. You also, and this is never mentioned, also unlock a classes last two skills at level 99 and these are basically the skills to transfer if you want to make use of this.
2) Reverting to level 1 is kind of a huge deal and oh whats that the XP needed to level increases with soul clarity. Thats right, if you want those 4 times stat values at max level and soul clarity, each level requires 5x the XP which means you are leveling point per point slower than when you started the process
3) Unless you grind and get insanely lucky, the fast xp leveling covenants are locked to the post game. The good one you actually want to use is, 100%, locked to the postgame
4) Ive done almost all the content including the regular final boss, cleared everything, got lost, used the leveling speed up mechanics, did some light grinding at one point and I've not hit level 99 with any character.

Oh and that post game xp leveling pact? Only characters whose lucky numbers are even can use it. Nothing in the game tells you this but basically you should trashbin anyone who doesn't have an even number lucky number, as I don't think Lucky Numbers do anything else except one skill gives bonus damage if it matches the last two of your attacks damage.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 31, 2020

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I had no idea that Resonance of Fate had been rereleased on PS4 until today. Can't wait to actually finish this game after all these years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

baram. posted:

i had a lot of fun with monster sanctuary

It was a pretty fun experience, though towards the end it felt like every battle was a "who can shove the most debuffs on an enemy first" race.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Barudak posted:

Labyrinth of Refrain has a mechanic called Soul Transfer thats sort of a combination of class change and prestiging. Your character resets to level 1 but you can change their job, select some skills to carry over and they gain "soul clarity" which increases the stat gains as they level up. At maximum soul clarity a character gains about 3-4 times as many stats per level.

This system doesn't work at all right.

1) The tutorial tells you every 8 levels until level 80 you get more soul clarity when you transfer and can transfer skills and that theres no reason to go past 80 for this reason. It does not mention, critically, that this is a lie. You keep getting soul clarity until level 99. You also, and this is never mentioned, also unlock a classes last two skills at level 99 and these are basically the skills to transfer if you want to make use of this.
2) Reverting to level 1 is kind of a huge deal and oh whats that the XP needed to level increases with soul clarity. Thats right, if you want those 4 times stat values at max level and soul clarity, each level requires 5x the XP which means you are leveling point per point slower than when you started the process
3) Unless you grind and get insanely lucky, the fast xp leveling covenants are locked to the post game. The good one you actually want to use is, 100%, locked to the postgame
4) Ive done almost all the content including the regular final boss, cleared everything, got lost, used the leveling speed up mechanics, did some light grinding at one point and I've not hit level 99 with any character.

Oh and that post game xp leveling pact? Only characters whose lucky numbers are even can use it. Nothing in the game tells you this but basically you should trashbin anyone who doesn't have an even number lucky number, as I don't think Lucky Numbers do anything else except one skill gives bonus damage if it matches the last two of your attacks damage.
Why the gently caress are you playing the postgame of a game you hate

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I don't think you have any right to complain at this point. You are inflicting this game on yourself, and subjecting us to walls of misery

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Elephant Parade posted:

Sunk Cost fallacy, I'm guessing.

I picked up Atelier Ryza earlier, installed it, and haven't stopped playing since then, so I'm gonna say it's scratching some itch I had and that I'm enjoying it a lot regardless.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Sab Sabbington posted:

Sunk Cost fallacy, I'm guessing.

I picked up Atelier Ryza earlier, installed it, and haven't stopped playing since then, so I'm gonna say it's scratching some itch I had and that I'm enjoying it a lot regardless.
That's some sunk cost. I rarely finish the postgame of games I actually like

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Barudak's gimmick is buying the worst RPGs out there and posting a lot about them

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I started Yggdra Union based on asking some people what SRPG I should try given what I like most about Fire Emblem (characters, setting, relatively simple mechanics). So far, it's cute! I have only just unlocked formations and have three characters so I'm very early in, but I like the characters so far. The UI is a bit hard to read at times but it does have a lot of tutorials that I am paying attention to despite my worst impulses to ignore them.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Localize the other Union games, cowards

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes the games he finds seem pretty cool. Most the time not so much

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Barudak posted:

The best part is, IIRC, Lucky Number is literally the one thing there's absolutely no way of changing. Everything else can be changed via items/reincarnation, but the thing that makes the post-game grinding bearable? Sucks to be you, time to make a new character, should've looked up spoilers on the unexplained stat before setting it to 7/13/69/whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

I didn't play any post game to make that post. I just tried using a system introduced around hour 20 of a game that took me 46 hours to beat, realized it would be an optimization nightmare, looked it up and learned the game was withholding exceedingly important stuff from me.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Re the post asking about Atelier, the closest thing I can think of to base building in those games is Meruru where it's more kingdom development than base development. The main gameplay loop in that game is find new place > make items/kill monsters to develop place > use new/better items you get from the developed areas to get stronger. It's not quite base building but I liked it a lot. Pity the game's the end of a trilogy even if you don't really need to play the previous games to get it. It just makes like half the characters seem a lot more meh.

An Atelier with more base building would be absolutely amazing though. It'd have to screw up big time to not be my GOTY.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mall Santa Metis posted:

I started Yggdra Union based on asking some people what SRPG I should try given what I like most about Fire Emblem (characters, setting, relatively simple mechanics). So far, it's cute! I have only just unlocked formations and have three characters so I'm very early in, but I like the characters so far. The UI is a bit hard to read at times but it does have a lot of tutorials that I am paying attention to despite my worst impulses to ignore them.

there's a lot of mechanics the game does a pretty poor job explaining but it isnt too bad. also try and make yggdra the mvp as much as you can so she gets those buffs.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sab Sabbington posted:

So I, unexpectedly, ended up bouncing off of Etrian Odyssey 4 hard and am gonna sit on it for a while until I can revisit it on actual 3DS hardware. I've no idea when I started getting so picky about my RPGs since I used to just devour anything tossed in front of me, but here I am.

I can't recall if I asked this before in this thread, but does anyone know of any non-Switch, relatively modern stuff with base building/upgrading or some form of semi-detached metaprogression? Rune Factory 5 that's supposed to drop next year has me hype. I haven't checked out the subgenre since I grabbed Ys VIII a while back and am hoping I can find something new before I go replay Dark Cloud 2 for the 10th time.

Anyone have any strong opinions on the Atelier series, and think that might scratch a similar itch?

I think Nelke is a village building simulator? That's also a game from the Atelier-series, so you might check it out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think Bakutsuri Hunters qualifies strictly as an RPG as its mostly just wearing the meaningless trappings of one but it has taught me that I was wrong and that there are things I like less in JRPG combat than timed hits, its timed motion control based counter attacks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Barudak posted:

"Tis a big tree <pause as you approach> Tis bigger up close"

The patched the beloved system because like 90% of players had the shopkeeper
IIRC all they did was make it so merely using the shop functions of an NPC with shop functions didn't increase affection.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I appreciate the Barudak blogging cause they play the games that I want to play but I just don't. I remember waffling every other month about Bards Tale IV but one Barudak post cured that!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nick Buntline posted:

The best part is, IIRC, Lucky Number is literally the one thing there's absolutely no way of changing. Everything else can be changed via items/reincarnation, but the thing that makes the post-game grinding bearable? Sucks to be you, time to make a new character, should've looked up spoilers on the unexplained stat before setting it to 7/13/69/whatever.

I've given up on attempting the postgame as it turns out due to pure chance, of the 13 characters I've been using 11 have odd number lucky numbers.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 31, 2020

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Leraika posted:

Do you like roguelikes? Shiren the Wanderer is a classic, and I'm fond of A Magical High School Girl and the Long Walk Home; it's a charming little indie game with a spell crafting system similar to that of Treasure of the Rudras, which makes up for the fact that it's short and simplistic. Being five dollars on sale and having a free demo help too. I've heard good things about Noita, and Hades is an excellent action-based dungeon crawler.

I was hoping for non-roguelike dungeon crawlers(and especially non-roguelite ones, but I did buy Shiren since it looked pretty neat, and I remember hearing about it way back when. I have a few days free so let's see if I like it.

No I won't because I still haven't updated to Win 10 and as such it won't work properly.

Hel fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Libluini posted:

I think Nelke is a village building simulator? That's also a game from the Atelier-series, so you might check it out.

Nelke was very mediocre even as a big fan. I can't imagine it'd be better than terrible to anyone who doesn't care about the characters