Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LatwPIAT posted:

There’s a sidebar that suggests ICE is perfect for player characters because it’s a relatively unknown organization with broad powers of arrest.

Weird how that last thing made the first thing dated super fast, huh?

Yeah that sidebar really stuck out for me and at the time I thought it was hilarious.

PurpleXVI posted:

After managing to give all the other agencies the slip and absconding with their newly secured artifacts, the party is arrested by EPA officials because one of them can summon Shantaks, which are considered an invasive species. The agents are forced to sit through 20 hours of courses on why invasive species are a problem for the continental united states and then sentenced to community service.

Turns out the EPA's perfectly well-informed about the mythos but doesn't care unless it affects their particular purview.

Canada's environmental protection agencies know all about the horrors of the Mythos in the Delta Green universe; that's why M-EPIC (the Environmental Policy Impact Commission) is Canada's equivalent to Delta Green, only they're perfectly happy to use Mythos spells and artifacts instead of just destroying everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Midjack posted:

Skip it if it’s just describing bureaus and agencies. If there are some interesting things like jobs you wouldn’t expect to see in a mythos-busting organization (like Conspiracy X having the Bureau of Prisons as a player host org and making them not totally useless) then maybe a post or two to spotlight those but don’t do a Let’s Read of a fedgov power structure chart.

Don't skip the Complex. Well, don't skip the Coast Guard section at least :)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Don't skip the Complex. Well, don't skip the Coast Guard section at least :)

Yeah if it’s fun or interesting then great but we probably don’t get much from a 30-post extravaganza of how the finance staff of the Department of Defense is organized so don’t feel obligated to write it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EPA commandos gotta stop Mi-Go wildcatters.

To be fair wildcat mining and brains are all the Mi-Go care about!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I still don't understand why the Mi-Go don't just buy our minerals, or prop up a strongman in exchange for them.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The short version is that our neurochemistry and thought processes interests them way more and we're a temporary blip in the span of cosmic existence. They can just loot our planet whenever once we die, but they have no idea when we'll all die, and hoarding our brains is more immediate and pressing as a result. We're accidentally finding a rare isotope with a half life of days inside of a copper mine.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They could also buy the brains! Plenty would sell. Many brains for powerful space lobsters.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There may be EPA restrictions on export of body parts from a protected species.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Night10194 posted:

They could also buy the brains! Plenty would sell. Many brains for powerful space lobsters.
They do, that's what the Compact is for. Well, specifically, they're trading worthless poo poo they have for the ability to just hunt with impunity like the space colonizers they are.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Man I know it's not what Delta Green as an agency necessarily "wants" but getting like a whole region's worth of ICE agents eaten in a botched raid on Deep Ones is probably doing more for the world than just cleaning up the Deep Ones in the first place. Or, why not both.

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017
Re: Quest I'm really enjoying your breakdown of the rules, Wapole. Going through the book from start to finish fits the format because the order in which things are presented feels like something the writers put considerable thought into. It's a great guide for both players and Guide to get into the intended thought proces behind play before the rules are even mentioned.
Which is also why some of the odd presentation choices really stick out to me. The ranges being given as part of character creaation rather than as part of the combat or general rules later felt out of place to me. Perhaps it's intended as a concrete example of an abstract concept concceptualized as part of the game rules?

Wapole Languray posted:

General Rules: Be good to each other

Making a section like this part of the actual rules rather than a sidebar is why I feel like Quest brings a fresh perspective to RPG design.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Man I know it's not what Delta Green as an agency necessarily "wants" but getting like a whole region's worth of ICE agents eaten in a botched raid on Deep Ones is probably doing more for the world than just cleaning up the Deep Ones in the first place. Or, why not both.

There are probably significant combinations of US agencies and Mythos-creatures-as-portrayed-by-Lovecraft where you’d be justified in rooting for the Mythos.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pussy Cartel posted:

Delta Green: Agent's Handbook

Chapter Seven: Equipment & Vehicles

Delta Green handles gear acquisition by placing everything into expense categories rather than attaching numerical prices. They range from Incidental to Standard, Unusual, Major, and finally Extreme. The book gives a few lists of standard gear that Agents working for certain branches could reasonably be expected to have most of the time while on assignment, and also points out that certain other pieces of gear should be assumed based on the requirements of whatever operation they're on (at least, the official operation they're on.)

Gear acquisition itself is done in one of three ways: official requisition, spending the Agent's own money, or spending illicit cash. Official requisitions entail skill rolls based on the sort of gear being requisitioned and the agency being used, usually Bureaucracy or Military Science. The difficulty of the check in influenced by the expsense category of whatever's being requisitioned, and the time it takes for the requisition to be processed is influenced by both the expense category of the item and also the priority of the operation itself. Of course, there are also risks involved; the Agent could end up triggering an official review, which usually requires another skill roll to get through successfully, with failure meaning not only did the requisition fail, but the Agent also faces consequences that can range from a reprimand, all the way up to firing and prosecution. If one of the Agents involved is in a role that's responsible for supervision or budgets, they might be able to leverage their position for bonuses on these different rolls, and they could also call in favours or try to pull rank in order to classify the requisitions.

Paying for an item with ones own money is usually an option, but it of course hinges on the Agent having the necessary money. For Standard expenses this amounts to an Accounting roll with a bonus if the Agent is in what the Handler considers a wealthy occupation, with failure meaning the Agent still gets the item but at the cost of damaging one of their Bonds. More expensive purchases inflict more Bond damage and less avoidably, with Extreme purchases in particular eroding all of an Agent's Bonds. Of course, none of this happens if the Handler decides a given item or service simply isn't available on the market.

Illicit cash comes into play if an Agent has managed to embezzle funds from their agency, or siphoned off resources from previous operations, or simply managed to squeeze Delta Green itself for deniable cash or credit cards. The Handler decides how many Standard purchases worth of illicit cash the Agent has available, with more expensive items being worth multiple Standard purchases. Naturally, illicit cash can't be used to get access to any sort of official federal resources or services.

But there's always the black market! Criminology or Computer Science rolls can be used to tap into the black market when looking for things that wouldn't otherwise be legally available to private citizens. Fumbling one of these rolls means you get collared by law enforcement in the process. Even if you pass the check, you still have to make a Luck roll to see if the item's available at its usual price; otherwise, its expense category gets bumped up.

As for the items and services listed in this chapter, they cover basically everything, from melee weapons to small arms to heavy artillery and explosives, vehicles, electronics, survival gear, and expenses like plane and bus tickets, hotel rooms, public storage, hackers, and doctors.

Next: Federal Agencies and the Appendices

What about option D? "Yeah, let's hack some terrorists/drug lords, kill 'em and take their poo poo." Killing the Mythos the Frank Castle way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ultiville posted:

There are probably significant combinations of US agencies and Mythos-creatures-as-portrayed-by-Lovecraft where you’d be justified in rooting for the Mythos.
You know, this makes me think about the legal issues in various Lovecraft stories.

Take The Shadow over Innsmouth, for instance. Unless there was a federal miscegenation law at the time, or one in Massachusetts, I don't think Obed Marsh committed any crimes here. It's possible some of the Deep Ones could be undocumented immigrants or otherwise in violation of statutes. It would depend on whether Devil's Reef would be counted as US territory. (The Esoteric Order did apparently murder some people, and traditionally murder is considered to be a crime in most regions.)

Pickman's Model - unless Pickman did murders to make friends with his ghoul buddies, I'm not sure he committed any crime. The ghouls themselves are disturbing graves and destroying human remains on a systemic basis, but I'm not sure how severe a crime that one actually is. Pickman would probably be doing his buddies a favor to help them square that away, but Pickman was an enormous prick.

The one with the mi-go: The mi-go are also probably breaking immigration laws and may be engaging in wildcat mining. However, everything they do with regards to the brain-jarring - and you know, did Lovecraft actually originate this whole brain in a jar business? - appears to be entirely consensual and done with the full knowledge of the subject.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wonder if that's a popular game amongst law students.
"The evidence will show that the defendant Mr. Polyp, had acted entirely in defense of itself and its' chattel"

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

LatwPIAT posted:

There’s a sidebar that suggests ICE is perfect for player characters because it’s a relatively unknown organization with broad powers of arrest.

Weird how that last thing made the first thing dated super fast, huh?

I mean it's still a perfect place for Delta Green to look, as HSI provides combat-trained agents and investigators who can operate freely on US soil - and also given the breadth of things like human sacrifices, slavery, and whatnot committed by Mythos cults having folks in HSI probably can help you find bad things before they get as bad. Meanwhile, ERO, the face of ICE everyone knows and (doesn't) love still has those broad powers of arrest and does enough stupid nonsense that you can probably end up hiding a surprising amount of your operation as ICE incompetence/corruption/stupidity.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
While one could have a broader debate on the systemic role of white supremacy across law enforcement in general, ICE is particularly awful as the movers and shakers operating it are basically the American Karotechia. It's a bit harder to do this than "FBI agents hunting serial killers and Mythos monsters" when your entire agency is set up to go after the powerless rather than the powerful.

To use another RPG's analogy it'd be like a player in a Deadlands game wanting to play a heroic Confederate soldier. The entire organization is so soaking in racist bile that having them as a non-villainous playable option would rub a lot of players the wrong way.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 31, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
ICE agents would seem more fitting as villains, yes, especially after the last few years.

Hell, there are actually a few easy hooks there, like maybe ICE agents were doing a sweep for illegal immigrants, picked up some early-in-transformation Deep Ones(not obviously fishy, just weird enough to look foreign), or Mi-Go agents in disguise, or maybe a Great Race tourist/explorer. And now you have to bust them out of there before they die due to lovely ICE prison conditions and someone pokes at the corpse and discovers something they shouldn't, in addition to the plain humanitarian aspects of rescuing prisoners from ICE.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you misdirect ICE resources to use them to go after Mythos-related foes you're doing two good deeds for the price of one!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

that is a very good dire capybara

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nessus posted:

The one with the mi-go: The mi-go are also probably breaking immigration laws and may be engaging in wildcat mining. However, everything they do with regards to the brain-jarring - and you know, did Lovecraft actually originate this whole brain in a jar business? - appears to be entirely consensual and done with the full knowledge of the subject.

The only claim that Akelely was going to submit to brain-jarring consensually comes from what is heavily implied to not be Akeley, but a lifelike animatronic lookalike puppeted by a Mi-Go after they kidnapped Akeley and forced him into a brain jar to cover up their illegal mining.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"This planet is full of copper! All we have back home is all this lame iridium! Start up the brain scoop and get some mist sprayers, we're going in!"

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Shotgun voting just closed. Should have a winner soon.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

Re: Quest I'm really enjoying your breakdown of the rules, Wapole. Going through the book from start to finish fits the format because the order in which things are presented feels like something the writers put considerable thought into. It's a great guide for both players and Guide to get into the intended thought proces behind play before the rules are even mentioned.
Which is also why some of the odd presentation choices really stick out to me. The ranges being given as part of character creaation rather than as part of the combat or general rules later felt out of place to me. Perhaps it's intended as a concrete example of an abstract concept concceptualized as part of the game rules?

What? The rules for range are in the rules section right after the rules for action scenes where they belong. We haven't gotten to character creation at all yet, but they explain the mechanical bits of it with the rest of the rules so you know them when you're picking your starting abilities and items and such.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

SkyeAuroline posted:

For all 3 people eagerly awaiting Red Markets writeups: I know I was just on hold for a move, but I'm going to be delayed again. Ongoing RSI has rapidly worsened (probably thanks to the move & having to do a lot of lifting) and I'm having a hard time with extended typing the past couple days. There's one big chunk left before I can do smaller parts for mechanics, but it's going to be bad for my nerves to try and bang out the entire section in one go like I've been doing so far. I'm not abandoning ship and the radio silence is hopefully short term. Thanks for the patience.

I've really been enjoying it, but please take care of yourself! Don't let the zombie gig economy claim another victim!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Libertad! posted:

To use another RPG's analogy it'd be like a player in a Deadlands game wanting to play a heroic Confederate soldier. The entire organization is so soaking in racist bile that having them as a non-villainous playable option would rub a lot of players the wrong way.

Except that in Deadlands racists were also seen as vile assholes on both sides. I remember that when some version of a not-KKK was presented, one of the sidebars clarified that the South of the game at this point was no longer the South of American history. Basically the nature of the war had managed to push both sides in a far more racially progressive direction than in our own time. In short, the not-KKK folks were villains and being a racist bigot would not win you many non-villainous friends in the Confederacy.

From the Classic Deadlands book Back East: The South

quote:

Race and Gender in the New South

Except for isolated examples such as
the Knights of the Golden Circle, racism
is becoming a thing of the past in
America. In Deadlands, the Confederacy
resembles the United States during
World War II: some progress has been
made towards equality, and more will
come after peace returns and people
resume their normal lives.
Further integration of Confederate
society has yet to become a concern,
but when it does, blacks and whites will
approach it with a greater sense of
community and shared values than in
actual history.

Women have begun breaking out of
the Southern Belle mold. Necessity
made it socially acceptable for
unmarried women to pursue most
vocations, so long as they fulfill their
class’ other expectations. Only women
who openly defy their husbands and
fathers, fail to provide for their children
or otherwise lack virtue are ostracized.
A few women have grown unconcerned
with such stigma in any event.

The bottom line is: if you’re
portraying all (or even most)
Southerners as racist, sexist rednecks, or
as minstrel show cast-offs, you’re
robbing your posse of the enjoyment of
interacting with truly well-rounded
characters. If you save the truly bigoted
characterizations for abominations and
Fearmongers, your posse will derive
more enjoyment from defeating them.

While some of that probably doesn't go as far as it should, one thing to bear in mind is that this book was published in 1999.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oh thank goodness, it’s a Clean Confederacy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

LatwPIAT posted:

The only claim that Akelely was going to submit to brain-jarring consensually comes from what is heavily implied to not be Akeley, but a lifelike animatronic lookalike puppeted by a Mi-Go after they kidnapped Akeley and forced him into a brain jar to cover up their illegal mining.
That's true. You would have an interesting challenge getting testimony from a jarred brain, as well as confirming for certain that the jarred brain is in fact the person it claims to be. Would alien space-bugs here to steal our copper and brains pull the old switcharoo in court? I think the answer is a definite maybe.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Defending Deadlands by pointing out it’s full of Confederate apologia is not the win you think it is.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Delta Green Shotgun Scenarios - Pt 7: 2020

Welcome back to Delta Green Shotgun Scenarios. In this post, we tackle the winning entry from the current year: 2020. The contest just wrapped, so let’s dive right in.

As you may recall from the opening post, the 2020 contest wasn’t run on the Fairfield site, due to the amount of labor involved to add large amounts of content to a platform that isn’t long for this world. The contest document and entries can be found here instead. I thought the format change and ensuing hit to discoverability would result in reduced turnout, and boy was I wrong. The contest got 75 entries, more than any year prior. There were more than 100 votes cast, which I’m pretty sure is also a record.

The first place winner of the contest: Deep in the Bayou - Swamp-folk, gumbo, guns and moonshine!

I read this when it was submitted, and dismissed it as “Neonomicon, but in a swamp”. So when it took the gold, I went back and re-read it, to see if there was something I missed. And...

...It’s Neonomicon in a swamp

Let’s dive in.

Delta Green tells the Agents they need to find a scientist who disappeared in the Bayou. She was researching alligator breeding patterns and posted some weird photos of kids with fishman features. So whatever happened to her, it’s DG business. The Agents are expected to start the investigation at the nearest populated place: Butte la Rose. There’s a lot of cool descriptive text that gives the town flavor, but it’s marred by a stream-of-consciousness writing style, a lack of helpful punctuation in places, and a desperate need for more paragraph breaks. The Agents can find the missing scientist’s trailer-lab, but the Doctor herself is absent. Instead, they find more evidence of fish children, along with GPS coordinates out in the bayou. They need a “fly-boat” to get out there, which I think is an airboat? A Google search gets me pictures of inflatable boats with kites attached.

The next point of interest is a swamp village, with two clans of bayou dwellers. The swamp folk are mistrustful, but happy to direct Agents to the “Meat Building” where the Doctor was last seen. They want to get the Agents out of their hair because one of them has a Deep One for a wife, who he found in the swamp. She’s completely harmless and not the target of the investigation, except for zealous Agents who expect the swamp dwellers are hiding something.

The “Meat Building” is the March Industries Eso Tech office. It’s a fortified compound in the swamp, guarded by mercenaries and staffed by secret scientists. There are a couple suggestions for getting inside, based on the Agents doing proper surveillance and possibly recruiting the swamp dwellers as proxies. The facility has a basement with a secret prison. Inside the prison are a three women and a male deep one, all chained up. One of the women is the Doctor you’ve been looking for the whole scenario. She’s catatonic and doesn’t say or do anything interesting. One of the women is knocked up with a deep one baby. Most of the researchers aren’t interested in fighting, and will get the hell out of your way once you get past the guards. There’s a single scientist who stands her ground, insisting that everything she’s doing is above board, a kill team is on its way to defend the facility, and Agents had better get the hell out. “Scientist who’s super passionate about her research into deep one dicks and will die to protect it” is a fun portfolio for an NPC, if nothing else.

The scenario assumes the Agents will trash the lab and rescue the three captive women. Delta Green offers an ambulance for the pregnant lady, and can even send a kill team to blast the imprisoned Deep One and “sanitize” the facility, if the Agents aren’t up to the task themselves.

The best parts of this scenario are the ones leading up to the lab, which have enough flavor and intrigue to make the conclusion a letdown. The setting and locations are strong, with a good sense of place. But “deep one rape dungeon” is a boring trope that was old 20 years ago, when Cthulhutech and Neonomicon beat it to death. And it’s purely modern revisionism. The canonical arrangement in Shadow Over Innsmouth was consensual sex between human men and deep one women. Not the Creature From the Black Lagoon emerging from the water to kidnap a human bride. I'm not a stickler for the canon, but this is a case where modern reinterpretation of the mythos has actually made things worse, rather than “rehabilitating the source material”. There were several other entries this year that I had the same objection to: a cool setup that ends with a stock encounter versus a mythos monster. Again, maybe I've just played too much Delta Green.

Despite that, there’s a lot of unexplored potential behind the scenario’s concept. The main NPC is an alligator scientist, but the scenario has no alligator based deep ones, which is a criminal omission. When I think “deep ones in the bayou” I think of an ancient rivalry between three feuding families: crawfish deep ones, alligator deep ones and catfish deep ones. They all have named NPCs and special powers and horrible things they do to anyone who gets in the middle of their centuries-long rivalry. And the players can choose to support one against the other two, broker a peace through some arranged deep one marriages between the clans, or fight all three in a free for all bloodbath. I understand “write something completely different, instead of what you wrote” isn’t helpful feedback, but that’s where I would have gone with it.

That’ll do it for Deep in the Bayou. I was pretty happy with the 2020 submissions overall. My personal favorites were
  • SafeSpace
  • Home
  • Oswalt’s dolls
  • A Hound of Tindalos Ate My Homework
  • The Contractors
  • Driftbone
  • Minoan Augur
  • Exfield Cakewalk (my number one pick)
  • Eat, Pray, Love
  • Behandling Phantasm
Check them out here along with the other entries. And post in the thread if you entered this year, it's fun to hear from people about their submissions.

For now, that'll do it for Shotgun Scenarios. They're a great resource for people who want to run Delta Green. The big downside is that there are now so many, it's hard to find one that fits whatever parameters you're looking for. 1,500 words isn't a lot to read, but multiplied by hundreds and hundreds of entries, it's a lot! I might do a followup post later if I can think of more to wrap up.

Thanks for reading!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Mors Rattus posted:

Defending Deadlands by pointing out it’s full of Confederate apologia is not the win you think it is.

gently caress it, you want a pro southern values campaign? Go for a massive southern socialist upheaval that abolishes slavery but scares the rich north into an actual war of northern aggression.
Remind everyone that most progressive abolitionists were still very much in favour of exploitative capitalism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think if you're going to set a campaign in an alternate-universe "Southern United States" nation, you need to remember the words of the American poet laureate:

quote:

One, two, three rednecks on a ladder
Hangin' up a rebel flag, it don't matter
How many of ya, because we don't love ya
Stick you in the dirt, tombstone above ya
There's juggalos all over the south that don't wave it
Proud of where they're from but that flag, they hate it
Cause they understand it's a symbol of slavery
One flag reps us all, it means bravery

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Nessus posted:

I think if you're going to set a campaign in an alternate-universe "Southern United States" nation, you need to remember the words of the American poet laureate:

All right, who do I have to write to to get J and Shaggy to share the title?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

By popular demand posted:

gently caress it, you want a pro southern values campaign? Go for a massive southern socialist upheaval that abolishes slavery but scares the rich north into an actual war of northern aggression.
Remind everyone that most progressive abolitionists were still very much in favour of exploitative capitalism.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Everyone posted:

Except that in Deadlands racists were also seen as vile assholes on both sides. I remember that when some version of a not-KKK was presented, one of the sidebars clarified that the South of the game at this point was no longer the South of American history. Basically the nature of the war had managed to push both sides in a far more racially progressive direction than in our own time. In short, the not-KKK folks were villains and being a racist bigot would not win you many non-villainous friends in the Confederacy.

From the Classic Deadlands book Back East: The South

While some of that probably doesn't go as far as it should, one thing to bear in mind is that this book was published in 1999.

Oh hey, I actually wrote a Let's Read for this way back when!

Tl;dr the book doesn't practice what it preaches; anti-black racism (and in one example anti-redneck racism in the form of the in-character newspaper writing doing a "poor whites love incest" mention*) still occurs on a systemic level, it's just hush-hush and people don't like to acknowledge it. But the book doesn't realize it's doing this, and in fact one of the writers is a Neo-Confederate.

*For any progressive readers here, that whole stereotype emerged from white supremacists trying to find an explanation for why rednecks and hillbillies were so poor and uneducated. The 'solution' they concocted was that they ruined their genes through incest by laser-focusing on a few news stories of child sexual abuse in Appalachia, thus creating the 'white trash' label. So whenever you make a "rednecks love incest" joke, you're making a rape joke.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 31, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's shocking how little you need to change to the setting if you have it so the South still loses and even on time. And I'm not even talking about some of the dumber retcons I've seen like 'oooh, the whole SOUTH should be a Deadland!' because that doesn't actually do much the for the POC still there. Great, they're now freedmen and can be terrorized and torn into chunks like everybody else! Just let the unchecked capitalism of the Great Rail Wars move the setting instead of a cold war because you get the same things (like the Reckoners spurring on weapon development).

The cherry on top is Hensley getting huffy about the Confederate statues pulled down before places decided that they should maybe do it on their own.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Deadlands is pretty fuckin' bad about Confederate apologia and required a little metaplot event to declare they were finally killing the Confederacy.

Oh, and also the Union equivalent group to the Texas Rangers as a heroic group you can be part of?

Yeah it's the Pinkertons.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

Deadlands is pretty fuckin' bad about Confederate apologia and required a little metaplot event to declare they were finally killing the Confederacy.

Oh, and also the Union equivalent group to the Texas Rangers as a heroic group you can be part of?

Ha ha, gently caress. At least the Rangers have a reputation for being badasses.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Aw, who doesn't like paid thugs and strike breakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The South should be crushed under the boot of Revenant John Brown.

Trying to present a South that's non-racist is like trying to make Nazis non-...well, Nazi to allow players to feel better about themselves: stupid, useless, and missing the point of faction's existence.