Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Tasmania isn't that bad.

I was gonna get annoyed at this but then realised I can legally ride to wellington tomorrow if I feel like it, with a zero chance of contracting a deadly disease, so feel free to suck my goddamn balls Willam Wallace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:glomp:

All in good fun Slavvy, we all know you're in NZ :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

E: wait no, you've forgotten that journey now involves crossing an international border :v:

lol yes i did forget that. britain really did an incredible self-own this year, just stunning

Slavvy posted:

I'll never get tired of the American definition of 'too far' being literally 10x everyone else's.

i mean i'm endlessly entertained by all the europeans having this idea that if you're driving like 100 miles you need a hotel and and overnight bag. i have students who commute that far to and from school.

hell, in canada 100 miles won't even get you to the next city

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 30, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

lol yes i did forget that. britain really did an incredible self-own this year, just stunning

Look man, Indyref2 is coming, Big Nic said so!
:scotland:

Sagebrush posted:

i mean i'm endlessly entertained by all the europeans having this idea that if you're going like 100 miles to another city you need a hotel and and overnight bag. i have students who commute that far each way

4 hours of daylight, had to stay overnight for my 100 mile journey to Aberdeen 2 weeks ago. Good thing too, seeing as there was a loving ladder on the A90 on the way back that'd have killed us at night.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 30, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

i mean i'm endlessly entertained by all the europeans having this idea that if you're driving like 100 miles you need a hotel and and overnight bag. i have students who commute that far to and from school.

hell, in canada 100 miles won't even get you to the next city

It's not just a difference of perception, 100 miles of UK motorway riding is going to require a lot more attention due to involving multiple road changes; especially going all the way from London to Glasgow, there isn't a single road that goes the whole way.

Compare a similar distance across the pond, which as you say won't even get to the next city, so you'll just be keeping the throttle set on one road while looking out for one junction.

e/ the longest ride I've ever done was up to the south Highlands via the M6 and M74, which is just a straight 200 miles of motorway and also the longest one we have.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 30, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There’s the old saying that Englanders think 100 miles is a long way and Americans think 100 years is a long time

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There’s the old saying that Englanders think 100 miles is a long way and Americans think 100 years is a long time

Meanwhile the Canadian is stuck behind a snow plow on the highway thinking your both wrong. 100 miles is a long time, I've been stuck in this traffic jam for what feels like 100 years!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The only trip i know in western europe that involves driving for a significant part of your fuel tank on a single highway is propably Paris-Bordeaux and that stretch is so lonely its scary. at one point even the trees stop and you end up in some kind of desolation area (although thats propably the stretch bordeaux-bayonne).

on the other hand after you cross the border to spain you are on the basque mountain highways which are absolutely amazing to drive (especially after being sleep deprived and behind the wheel for 16 hours, with one of these hours spend crossing paris in the middle of the night)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

at one point even the trees stop and you end up in some kind of desolation area (although thats propably the stretch bordeaux-bayonne).

*laughs in canadian prairies*

AlphariusOmegon
May 11, 2020

Anyone here ride a Versys? Im thinkin about trading my Harley in (and by thinking I mean I know I want a different bike). I want something peppier and sportier, but with bags and wind protection and stuff as my day-to-day bike and there's a good deal on a 2019 Versys 1000 nearby, though I might be happy with a 650.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

If you're seeking "peppy and sporty" then you should definitely test-ride a 650 before you decide to buy one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 1000 is an i4 and more closely related to the zx1000

The 650 is the most boring, flat engine I have ever owned for a year of my life.

It’s not bad in any way, it’s so terminally bland, I literally remember nothing about it other than that.

To be fair to the Versys, the chassis, suspension and brakes are phenomenal. They just need like an SV650 engine in them.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AlphariusOmegon posted:

Anyone here ride a Versys? Im thinkin about trading my Harley in (and by thinking I mean I know I want a different bike). I want something peppier and sportier, but with bags and wind protection and stuff as my day-to-day bike and there's a good deal on a 2019 Versys 1000 nearby, though I might be happy with a 650.

You will not be happy with a Versys 650.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

There are absolutely some people out there who would be happy with a Versys 650. But it's an uncommon condition.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
If you want a ~1000 cc sport tourer I’d look at the Versys 1000 and the tracer 900 (GT for both if you can find them.) The Versys 1000 is a very different machine to the 650.

Edit: Perhaps an Indian FTR 1200?

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 31, 2020

AlphariusOmegon
May 11, 2020

Wow is the 650 really so boring? Well, I suppose I'll go for the 1000 or the Tracer 900 (Both available nearby thankfully). Is there any important update from the 2019 model to the 2020 or 2021 version that I shouldn't snap this 2019 up?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

AlphariusOmegon posted:

Wow is the 650 really so boring? Well, I suppose I'll go for the 1000 or the Tracer 900 (Both available nearby thankfully). Is there any important update from the 2019 model to the 2020 or 2021 version that I shouldn't snap this 2019 up?

Zack Courts put it bang center of his daily rider chart with good reason. There’s no part of it that you could describe as “bad”, but it does not stand out in any way. Goons tend to like exciting/interesting/storied motorcycles.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had been planning on a Versys 1000 as my next bike before I got the Rex. I'm not a good enough rider to have been able to tell if it was a great bike from the one test-ride I did, but it was a hoot when I was on it (coming from a Vstrom 650 at the time)

AlphariusOmegon
May 11, 2020

BabelFish posted:

Zack Courts put it bang center of his daily rider chart with good reason. There’s no part of it that you could describe as “bad”, but it does not stand out in any way. Goons tend to like exciting/interesting/storied motorcycles.

I actually watched that whole series, it's what drew me to the Versys platform, since he also puts it at the top ranked of the entire list as far as being practical.

That said, I think I am totally in on the 1000.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No mention of the vastly superior Vstrom 1000?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Steakandchips posted:

Look at this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202012217306440

A 2006 Honda CBF500 with ABS, 62500 miles, with heated grips and a top box.
£800.

Insurance would be £102 in total for TPFT annually, for up to 5000 miles SDLP (this just means riding for fun, amerigoons) + commuting + pillion cover. £102 annual insurance. Steal.

£67 for annual vehicle excise duty (tax) as it's between 401-600CC.

This is exactly the sort of thing I need.

I could leave it chained outside in Glasgow, nae cover, it would almost certainly not get nicked during the 9 to 5 working hours, and even if it did I would not be super upset!

Shame it's in Woolwich, London.

A friend of mine in Denver “accidentally” bought a CB500F in some little Georgia town on eBay and did a fly and ride. That’s like... 1700 miles? He’s got a bunch of money, flexible work, and a really understanding wife though.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Look, anyone who claims they don't want a thumper just doesn't know any better yet.

I've ridden 2 thumpers in my life. One wanted to kill me, and the other was the most boring motorcycle I've ever ridden. If the world was perfect I'd have have one of the former in a stable of multiple bikes, but if I'm going to have to be limited to a single motorcycle I'd prefer something that didn't thirst for my blood.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

you are like a little baby. fly and ride

Where's the international border in that journey - am I missing something? Scotland is still part of the UK, although Nicola Sturgeon is pushing for another referendum on independence (as she drat well should). The border's between Northern Ireland (UK, Brexiting) and Ireland (sovereign, EU member).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You're not missing anything.

Slavvy and Sagebrush not grasping the nuances of Scottish secessionism and Brexit border shenanigans aren't really things we should castigate them for.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 31, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's not just a difference of perception, 100 miles of UK motorway riding is going to require a lot more attention due to involving multiple road changes; especially going all the way from London to Glasgow, there isn't a single road that goes the whole way.

Blame the Romans - or rather the uncivilised Picts - for that. You want to get anywhere ending with -chester or -caster there's a nice straight road going there.

(I've never bothered to look into it, but I wonder if any other country ended up sticking to the Roman road plan as rigorously as England did - to this day all of the trunk roads out of London follow Roman roads within like a hundred yards for most of their length and officially all start at Monument as a stand-in for the original Roman London Bridge. It's not like there's difficult terrain meaning there's only a certain amount of routes they could follow or even that the great Roman cities ended up being important places (of the 20 biggest cities in the UK, only 3 - London, Manchester and Portsmouth - are directly connected to the major Roman road network) so it makes sense to follow their roads. I can only assume it's the civil engineering equivalent of us clinging on to weird grammatical rules like no split infinitives because Latin didn't have them)

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

AlphariusOmegon posted:

The Tracer will be the most exciting bike to ride. There's a lot of 2021 updates for the Tracer (it looks totally different, for one), but that's easy enough to research. Go for a 2017 or newer model in any case, those have a slipper clutch and better EFI. Versys 1000 got updated for 2020 I think.

My girlfriend rides a 2015 Versys 650 and I ride a 2017 Tracer 900. A couple of years ago I got a first-gen Versys 650 as a loaner bike and although the engine is the same, that was a much more fun bike to ride than the 2015, a common complaint about the newer Versys. The chassis is still great for a bike of its price point, i.e. no pogo suspension, but my main complaint is that it just feels heavy. When pushing it around it feels heavier than the Tracer, and when riding it it just feels a bit slow. Now it is really well-built in a tractor-like way, my Tracer has way flimsier plastics etc., and the Versys does carry a lot of gas. Compared to my old Husky 701 it felt smooth and slow, compared to the Tracer it feels buzzy and slow. But yeah great for the price, especially since they often come with a full set of cases.

Tracer 900: great engine that feels way more powerful than it is, my non-GT's suspension isn't that great (feels a bit bouncy at speed on bad roads), you can see everywhere that it's put together from parts from the Yamaha parts bin.

Tracer 700 also has a sportier engine and less tractor like feel than the Versys 650, I've ridden the MT07 and the engine is fun, but I haven't ridden the Tracer 700.

The V-Strom might have a more fun engine than the Versys but it's just such a dorky bike, one step up from a KLR if you ask me.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
The tracer 900 I test rode was perhaps the most fun bike I tried. My only problems were a slightly too tall seat height, and a shift lever that was a pain to get my toe under. Both of which seem to have been solved in the 2021 model.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 31, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

How would a Honda VFR be for a commuter?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Steakandchips posted:

How would a Honda VFR be for a commuter?

Like any commute question, depends on the length and type of the commute. "Ideal" commuter bikes tend to be upright, ergonomically the VFR is right in the middle of upright and sport bike. They're thirsty V4's so the mpg isn't great. However they're reliable and comfortable and people ride them across the country, just depends on if you like the ergos.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks man. I guess not, I like em upright upright, even though my commute would be about 35 miles one way.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Get a mid 00s multistrada 1000/1100.

I don't know who needs this advice.

They really aren't very big or tall.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

Thanks man. I guess not, I like em upright upright, even though my commute would be about 35 miles one way.

Also it depends on what year VFR were talking about. In the 80’s they ate their own camshafts, in the 90’s they gained FI and VTEC (lol) and then DCT and all that in the 10’s. They’re wildly different bikes through the years.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The RC 36 is the one true VFR that you won't have to sell your kidney for :colbert:

It also ruined me for most carb bikes because it absolutely didn't care about closing the fuel valve when you parked it. Fast forward to me owning a Kickstart only KTM and immediately flooding the carb the first time I parked it. Oh that was a joy.

I like the FI VFRs but the valve adjustment seems like nightmare fuel and the local honda dealership gave me a giggle when I asked about the price for a valve adjustment.

I have to wonder why honda designed the system to be open without oil pressure when it could have just as easily be designed to be closed without oil pressure which would have made valve adjustment a regular job.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 31, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

I've ridden 2 thumpers in my life. One wanted to kill me, and the other was the most boring motorcycle I've ever ridden. If the world was perfect I'd have have one of the former in a stable of multiple bikes, but if I'm going to have to be limited to a single motorcycle I'd prefer something that didn't thirst for my blood.

I know this is like telling people in AI to get a Miata, but the DRZ400SM is pretty fun while being very forgiving.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

The RC 36 is the one true VFR that you won't have to sell your kidney for :colbert:

It also ruined me for most carb bikes because it absolutely didn't care about closing the fuel valve when you parked it. Fast forward to me owning a Kickstart only KTM and immediately flooding the carb the first time I parked it. Oh that was a joy.

I like the FI VFRs but the valve adjustment seems like nightmare fuel and the local honda dealership gave me a giggle when I asked about the price for a valve adjustment.

I have to wonder why honda designed the system to be open without oil pressure when it could have just as easily be designed to be closed without oil pressure which would have made valve adjustment a regular job.

While a valve job is a huge pain on them, it's really a check it once every 50k kms thing, and you probably won't even need to make an adjustment.
The RC36 is great on the open road but kind of really sucks on city streets.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

KodiakRS posted:

You could have just said KTM/2stroke and KLR, but ok. Anyway the DR650 rates near the top of the "most fun/satisfying motorcycles I've ridden" list, while being a big friendly puppy. DRZ400SM would be similar, with more wheelies/stoppies and less highway manners.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

I know this is like telling people in AI to get a Miata, but the DRZ400SM is pretty fun while being very forgiving.

The Miata is the ex250.

A drz is more like a Suzuki Vitara with sick moddz aka still far too slow to kill you while being more fun than the 'fastest' way to skin the same cat.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

You could have just said KTM/2stroke and KLR, but ok.

Lol I’ve been doing the same mental math and that’s what I came up with too

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The Miata is the ex250.

A drz is more like a Suzuki Vitara with sick moddz aka still far too slow to kill you while being more fun than the 'fastest' way to skin the same cat.

And just like the Vitara it too suffers from fickle exorbitantly priced Suzuki electrics.

The drz is a great accessible little appliance. It can be a downright weapon with the right hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is also exactly like the Vitara in that you can't find one for anything approaching a rational price because the internet has convinced a generation of people they're the thing to have.