Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

General Battuta posted:

It's an incredible piece of atmosphere but I found it SO stressful I just couldn't keep going.

Payndz posted:

Same here. After playing it for a few days, I had an honest-to-god, wake-up-yelling nightmare about being chased through dark tunnels, which made me think "okay, maybe I should take a break for a while." It's the most intense game I've ever played.

Did you guys play on tourist mode (ie whatever the lowest difficulty is)? That’s how I plan on playing it since from what I’ve heard it gets a bit tedious in places and honestly I’m just in it for the atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I played it on whatever the default difficulty is, which in hindsight may have been a mistake. Also a mistake: playing it in a darkened room at night with headphones on.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

General Battuta posted:

It's an incredible piece of atmosphere but I found it SO stressful I just couldn't keep going.

Might take some of the fun away but,

Watch a speed run. They break the Alien's AI/pathing so bad, it is really cathartic imo. Takes a lot of tension out of the game when you see some of the moving bits behind the scenes.

Awesome Game Done Quick had a good one a few years ago.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Isolation is way too long for what it is. And who you play is extremely eye rolling.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Isolation is way too long for what it is. And who you play is extremely eye rolling.

I mean, a lot of the plot is real eye rolling for sure, but it's probably tied for best Alien game with AvP2. the environment design alone is phenom

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Loveshaft posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

Edit; In relation to the film.

In a Christmas film with a lot of Jesus stuff right outside of the edges, Elizabeth births the precursor to the entity that was worshipped by the Engineers just like John the Baptist was a magic birth as a precursor to Jesus.

Also, I speedran Isolation just because the default pathing and tethering of the Alien ended up annoying me so much that I had to manipulate it instead.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
As I understand it, John the Baptist evangelized to the powerful, having a royal patron and such.

Much as Shaw's, er, child does to the Engineer :haw:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Hodgepodge posted:

As I understand it, John the Baptist evangelized to the powerful, having a royal patron and such.

Much as Shaw's, er, child does to the Engineer :haw:

He was very popular, more so than Jesus was while they were living. Never heard of a royal patron, Herod Antipas had John executed for criticizing his divorce?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Blood Boils posted:

He was very popular, more so than Jesus was while they were living. Never heard of a royal patron, Herod Antipas had John executed for criticizing his divorce?

I think it was the hanging out in a kings court that lead to someone caring enough to execute him. The story is probably a paragraph long if I look it up but :effort:

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Hodgepodge posted:

I think it was the hanging out in a kings court that lead to someone caring enough to execute him. The story is probably a paragraph long if I look it up but :effort:

Nope, totally wrong.

The story, which may or may not be true, is roughly this:
John publicly criticised Herod's marriage to Herodias (Herod's brothers widow) which pissed off Herodias. A bit later Herodias's daughter (so Herod's stepdaughter) Salome* danced her famous dance of the 7 veils to entertain Herod and his court on Herod's birthday. Herod was so impressed that he offered her anything she might wish as a reward. Salome rushed off and asked her mother what to ask for and Herodias told her to demand the head of John the Baptist. So, Herod had him killed and put his head on a plate for her.
When Herod first heard stories about Jesus his first reaction was to think that it might be John raised from the dead.

*She's not named in the New Testament versions of the story.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Aight so, to roll in 2021, I went through and examined every available Alien ripoff. The goal was to rank them in terms of both quality and Alien-ness.

So, it turns out the objectively-best Alien ripoff of all time is DEATH MACHINE (1995).

Congratulations, DEATH MACHINE!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
With Brad dourif? Hell yeah I'm in

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Which cut did you watch?
(There are 3 afaik: Rated(US) the shortest, Directors Cut (UK), Uncut (German and Japanese) the longest.)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Aight so, to roll in 2021, I went through and examined every available Alien ripoff. The goal was to rank them in terms of both quality and Alien-ness.

So, it turns out the objectively-best Alien ripoff of all time is DEATH MACHINE (1995).

I would like to know more about DEATH MACHINE (1995).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Clearly a biased take from the ultimate killing machine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hodgepodge posted:

Death Machine has so many alien references it’s pretty cool lmao.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I bought Death Machine in a Trimark dvd four pack back in the day.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

EmptyVessel posted:

Which cut did you watch?
(There are 3 afaik: Rated(US) the shortest, Directors Cut (UK), Uncut (German and Japanese) the longest.)
From what I understand, the "uncut" cut is the actual director's cut.

Hodgepodge posted:

DEATH MACHINE, the first movie from the director of Blade 1, is the finest example of mid-'90s cyberpunk (e.g. Johnny Mnemonic, Virtuosity, Strange Days, Lawnmower Man, etc.). It's also, effectively, an Aliens Versus Robocop fan-film.

The basic plot is that embattled defense corporation CHAANK has hired genius cyberneticist Brad Dourif to develop its own line of universal soldiers (codenamed HARDMAN). Responding to public outcry over CHAANK's covert activities, the shareholders elect a new liberal CEO, who vows to reform the corporation.

Little does she know, Dourif is totally psychotic and, left to his own devices, he has created a prototype DEATH MACHINE (codenamed WARBEAST). It is, unmistakably, a robot xenomorph. Also, meanwhile, terrorist hackers are plotting a late-night attack on CHAANK HQ....

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
DEATH MACHINE (1995) was directed by Stephen Norrington, who's directly linked to the Alien franchise as he built the chestburster for ALIENS (1986).

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Yeah, I think that the Uncut version is the director's preferred one, which is confused by the UK cut being called the Director's Cut (presumably contractual shenanigans).
Cheers.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

DEATH MACHINE, the first movie from the director of Blade 1, is the finest example of mid-'90s cyberpunk (e.g. Johnny Mnemonic, Virtuosity, Strange Days, Lawnmower Man, etc.). It's also, effectively, an Aliens Versus Robocop fan-film.

The basic plot is that embattled defense corporation CHAANK has hired genius cyberneticist Brad Dourif to develop its own line of universal soldiers (codenamed HARDMAN). Responding to public outcry over CHAANK's covert activities, the shareholders elect a new liberal CEO, who vows to reform the corporation.

Little does she know, Dourif is totally psychotic and, left to his own devices, he has created a prototype DEATH MACHINE (codenamed WARBEAST). It is, unmistakably, a robot xenomorph. Also, meanwhile, terrorist hackers are plotting a late-night attack on CHAANK HQ....

The same director as Blade? Okay I'm in. Also love the Kojima-esque codenames (HARDMAN).

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
My spouse won't let me play isolation when they are around because I keep muttering "gently caress gently caress gently caress" under my breath and then occasionally scream. GOTY whenever I am playing it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

Chairman of the Board Scott Ridley

quote:

Meanwhile, a trio of eco-warriors (Raimi, Weyland, and Yutani)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s probably the only film I’ve ever seen that does that and I’m for it instead of annoyed haha.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Putting together a numbered list was pretty straightforward, because it turns out that there are fewer of these Alien ripoffs than you might expect. That’s good, because most suck badly!

LEAST UNWATCHABLE ALIEN RIPOFFS: 1979-1999

1. DEATH MACHINE
2. MUTANT aka Forbidden World
3. DEEP RISING
4. INSECT! aka Blue Monkey
5. DNA
6. ALIEN 2: ON EARTH
7. METAMORPHOSIS: THE ALIEN FACTOR
8. INSEMINOID
9. VIRUS
10. LEGION

LEAST UNWATCHABLE ALIEN RIPOFFS: 2000-2020

1. UNDERWATER
2. CRAWL OR DIE
3. THE THING
4. APOLLO 18
5. ISOLATION
6. LIFE
7. DEAD IN THE WATER
8. THE LAST DAYS ON MARS
9. INTERPLANETARY
10. SPUTNIK

I’ve made a possibly-controversial decision to exclude “Galaxy Of Terror” films, where some intelligence directly manifests peoples’ nightmares. There’s a lot of overlap between those films and Alien (see: Prometheus) but they seem like their own distinct subgenre that branches off into stuff like IT, or even Nightmare On Elm Street.

It’s also a bit of a judgement-call, in general, as to whether a film really qualifies. Deepstar Six, for example, has an obvious Alien influence - but it’s also a very conventional disaster movie in which the monster plays a fairly minor role. Same with Europa Report. Does Sunshine count? Does Red Planet count?

(I also left out The Thing ‘82 and Predator because they’re just too obvious.)

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The local AMC theater had a showing of Alien last Saturday. Don't worry about the Covid, only me and one other guy were there for the matinee.

I noticed that Ash was drinking lots of milk. Is the consensus that it was actually milk or some kind of android nutrient drink?

Also, I really noticed just how stereotypically gay his uniform looked. Powder blue and pink with his pants bloused into his sneakers.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
SuperMechagodzilla, did you see Scooby-Doo: Moon Monster Madness? It's mostly a remake of Alien but with Scooby-Doo characters

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

We should have a new Alien thread for 2021, and SMG should make it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Almost Blue posted:

SuperMechagodzilla, did you see Scooby-Doo: Moon Monster Madness? It's mostly a remake of Alien but with Scooby-Doo characters

As a fan of The Scooby-Doo Project, that seems worth checking out - but I didn't really look into Alien parodies for the ripoff list(s). A lot of these films veer towards the comedic, but even the jokiest one - Interplanetary - is a pastiche of z-grade Alien ripoffs and not a parody of them.

On the other end of the spectrum, Isolation is the least 'fun', and really one of the most disgusting films I've ever encountered. Like, the entire runtime is the grodiest parts of Alien3.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Loveshaft posted:

We should have a new Alien thread for 2021, and SMG should make it.

It would send a bold and controversial message that this is a place where we enjoy talking about the Aliens films.

It's been a rough few decades but now that there aren't any new ones coming out to worry about, I think people are ready to enjoy talking about movies again.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Putting together a numbered list was pretty straightforward, because it turns out that there are fewer of these Alien ripoffs than you might expect. That’s good, because most suck badly!

LEAST UNWATCHABLE ALIEN RIPOFFS: 1979-1999

1. DEATH MACHINE
2. MUTANT aka Forbidden World
3. DEEP RISING
4. INSECT! aka Blue Monkey
5. DNA
6. ALIEN 2: ON EARTH
7. METAMORPHOSIS: THE ALIEN FACTOR
8. INSEMINOID
9. VIRUS
10. LEGION

LEAST UNWATCHABLE ALIEN RIPOFFS: 2000-2020

1. UNDERWATER
2. CRAWL OR DIE
3. THE THING
4. APOLLO 18
5. ISOLATION
6. LIFE
7. DEAD IN THE WATER
8. THE LAST DAYS ON MARS
9. INTERPLANETARY
10. SPUTNIK

I’ve made a possibly-controversial decision to exclude “Galaxy Of Terror” films, where some intelligence directly manifests peoples’ nightmares. There’s a lot of overlap between those films and Alien (see: Prometheus) but they seem like their own distinct subgenre that branches off into stuff like IT, or even Nightmare On Elm Street.

It’s also a bit of a judgement-call, in general, as to whether a film really qualifies. Deepstar Six, for example, has an obvious Alien influence - but it’s also a very conventional disaster movie in which the monster plays a fairly minor role. Same with Europa Report. Does Sunshine count? Does Red Planet count?

(I also left out The Thing ‘82 and Predator because they’re just too obvious.)

i've only seen about half of these so this should be fun

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DeimosRising posted:

i've only seen about half of these so this should be fun

I was actually surprised by how obscure some of these are. Nobody's heard of BLUE MONKEY or DNA, but they own.

I think that the subgenre has just never been evaluated properly. Like, do an internet search for this stuff and you'll probably get dozens of lists citing Creature and Contamination as peak examples. Not only are those kinda plodding, but Contamination's actually a ripoff of Quatermass 2 (aka Enemy From Space)! It's got almost nothing in common with Alien.

I've already gone over DEATH MACHINE, but some explanation for these more-unknown examples:

INSECT (1987) is a Canadian tax-shelter production that combines a semi-serious homage to '50s creature features with a distinct Cronenberg vibe that comes from shooting in Toronto and nudging things into psychosexual territory. A rare insect causes an outbreak in a hospital. Of the films listed, this one features the best monster costume.

DNA (1996), for those who don't know, is an unofficial Predator sequel in which Mark Dacascos (as a '90s Indiana Jones) battles a feral clone of the monster in the jungles of Borneo. A far better sequel in theme and content than any of the official Predator 2s, the creature is even based on Stan Winston's famously-unused JCVD costume. This movie is 100% canon.

LEGION (1998) has a lot going against it - like having zero budget, legit awful spaceship CGI, and an extremely clumsy exposition-dump for an ending. But it also has top-quality cinematography for one of these DTV things, and a genuinely unique and interesting story. The colonial marines(?) send a Suicide Squad made up of traitors and war criminals to do a raid on an enemy facility, but then weird things start happening.... It's a little like Doom (2005), if you flipped the ratio of budget-to-quality. As with DNA above, this veers towards being a Predator ripoff - but Predator was already an Alien ripoff, so this is one by proxy.

ISOLATION (2005): Ridley Scott wanted Alien to be The Texas Chain Saw Massacre in space, but this actually comes a lot closer to that goal by being Alien3 in an impoverished dairy farm. As noted before, the subject matter is very squirmy and off-putting, but it's deliberate enough to serve as a sort of distant prequel to Fincher's movie.

DEAD IN THE WATER (2018): This one's more of a LIFE ripoff, but that's splitting hairs. DEAD IN THE WATER is exceedingly well made on next to no budget - which is especially impressive because it's a fuckin' SYFY Channel original movie. It's the real deal.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Can you tell me why it’s called blue monkey AND insect! or is that better left a surprise?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DeimosRising posted:

Can you tell me why it’s called blue monkey AND insect! or is that better left a surprise?

To the extent that BLUE MONKEY is known, it's because the title appears to be a totally baffling non-sequitur. (It was later changed to the more-marketable INSECT! because the movie's literally about a killer insect.)

However - not really a spoiler - the titular Blue Monkey is an imaginary creature daydreamed by one of the child characters, which implies a psychological link between this childish fantasy and the emergence of this nightmare-monster. The original title underlines this by referring to the Insect as a Blue Monkey.

I guess that's a long way of saying that 'Blue Monkey' is the name of the species, in the same way that Red Pandas aren't actually pandas.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 8, 2021

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Have SYFY originals been getting better? It seems like I've seen several of them recommended

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Speaking of Z-grade Alien rip-offs, does anybody remember the War of the Worlds series from the '80s? It was two seasons. But also two different shows. The way it was explained to me is that it got sued by the Wells/Welles estate so it had to either be completely different/conform to the story we all know.

Either way, I'm talking about the season where it wasn't the Martians. The aliens had launched aluminum into the atmosphere to disrupt communications, would start cults, would turn a rich man's child into an immortality serum for him. It was Alien, Alien Nation and the Twilight Zone all on the cheap.

Anyway, how can I watch this bad boy?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

VinylonUnderground posted:

Speaking of Z-grade Alien rip-offs, does anybody remember the War of the Worlds series from the '80s? It was two seasons. But also two different shows. The way it was explained to me is that it got sued by the Wells/Welles estate so it had to either be completely different/conform to the story we all know.

Either way, I'm talking about the season where it wasn't the Martians. The aliens had launched aluminum into the atmosphere to disrupt communications, would start cults, would turn a rich man's child into an immortality serum for him. It was Alien, Alien Nation and the Twilight Zone all on the cheap.

Anyway, how can I watch this bad boy?
Unless they've been deleted, there are episodes on YouTube; I watched some of them a while ago.

The first season was almost admirable for its commitment to "how much gratuitous gore can we squeeze in on our very low budget?"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In case anyone was wondering, Breach (aka Anti-Life (with inexplicable Bruce Willis)) is exactly as blandly amateurish as it looks from the trailers - and it's very fashy on top of that. It's exactly like a feature-length version of the crummier "40th Anniversary" Alien fan shorts. Strong avoid!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I loved the war of the worlds tv show. First season was standard Cold War paranoia, second season did a time skip and took place in a post apocalyptic hellscape. poo poo was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

gonna watch DNA tonight. will report back