Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Convex posted:

I'm sure she is smiling as she looks up at us

A few years ago a college in work passed away. She was known for being a bollocks to everyone. It led my friend to quip

"I'm sure she is smiling as she looks down at us. No wait, there were two things wrong in that last sentence."

As for Maggie, some Brexit backing billionaire should pull a Kayne and get a hologram of Maggie Thatcher talking about how great Boris is gor pulling off Brexit.

Edit:

Amy and Lara will pay the cat tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

I mean no I don’t. But I also don’t think anarchism is remotely possible in the next at least hundred years. I absolutely think and hope it will eventually be how things are run but we have a ticking time bomb to worry about here.

From that though you can ask whether people who have that attitude are capable of doing anything about it? Like I don't really see why being a decent person and being a decent governor are at odds with each other? If anything I would suggest they are probably pretty linked together, especially when you put people in positions of power and suddenly they aren't beholden to you any more. Which again I don't think is that hard of a concept to put in plain english, everyone can understand the idea that people can seem nice when they want something off you and then turn around and tell you to gently caress off once they have it.

Like the reason I'm picky about who I like politically is because I really do think that nice people are more likely to do the things I want doing. The idea that it takes an rear end in a top hat to Get Things Done is a very right wing idea, I think. It conflates cruelty with competence, which is an idea that only exists because people want to justify the cruelty.

Just because I think anarchism is the logical end point of how I feel about stuff doesn't mean that I can't participate in other approaches but it does still inform what I think the desirable way to do that is. Like it informs what I want out of a party leader. I might think that parties and party leaders are structurally unworkable in the long run but I can still say that X leader would be better than Y if we're going to have one. That's a big part of why I like corbyn, he does seem to be genuinely a decent guy and I track pretty drat well with him politically within the constraints of our existing political system. He isn't my ideal form of societal organization but if I'm picking a prime minister I would like someone like him doing the job because I think they are the most likely to use it to do helpful things.

Also just generally re: pre-empting disaster I'm not sure any of our existing forms of societal organization are capable of doing that. Like bad stuff happens and then we react to it. That's just how it works because people aren't able to internalize things that haven't happened yet on a mass scale, you would need some sort of society run by people whose job it is to forecast the future for that to happen and that would likely have its own problems, and you're verging into philosopher king territory there. Either that or everyone has to be scientifically literate and spend their time engaging in peer review all the time.

We can only do what we can and what we can do is pretty limited, which sucks but it also means it isn't your fault. There's always the temptation when you perceive a bigger threat to try and wade in and say "this is the wrong fight, we should be fighting this thing instead" which there is totally a place for, but I think it's also necessary to acknowledge that people fight the things they can perceive to be important and which impact them most immediately, and there are right and wrong sides in those fights too, and you can't just... wish them back into the box, unfortunately, because they are very real to their participants and they're also things they might be able to win and benefit from winning.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 31, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Joke country

https://twitter.com/thefourthcraw/status/1344431132826345474?s=19
https://twitter.com/ilyas_nagdee/status/1344353396812369924?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Guess who was interviewed lol

https://twitter.com/davidjrosenberg/status/1344605884002013184?s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I suppose pure evil is easily identifiable as far as moral frameworks go

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think we basically agree OwlFancier - you certainly don’t fall into the trap that frustrates me with most anarchists I know of basically disengaging from mainstream politics to the point of thinking it doesn’t matter who the PM or Labour leader is.

The below piece was quite helpful I found in thinking about this two dose thing. It seems that there is some unpublished data suggesting that there is some merit to getting the first dose out ASAP then giving the second after twelve weeks. Anyone with more knowledge of immunology able to give a good summary of the arguments here? I was all for jumping on the govt for another dumbass decision but I’m not so sure after seeing a bunch of science folk say that actually this seems quite smart.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-the-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-being-approved-for-use-in-the-uk-by-the-mhra/

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the last couple of "things suck but all of the leading movements are exhausted and have no new ideas to our present questions" moments gave the world, in turn, the New Left, neoconservatism/New Right and neoliberalism

in the West, anyway. Pan-religious awakening elsewhere in the world is still within living memory, for instance

my sense is that an average observer placed, let's say, ten years earlier than each paradigm shift would have had trouble forecasting the eventual winners. An observer placed during their apogee would struggle to predict their lasting institutional legacy. Not that it isn't fun to try, though...

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 31, 2020

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The whole idea that we need pure perfect leaders to follow is, I think, an indictment of the entire concept of leadership in general, and an inherently right wing understanding of the world. Yes if you are going to conceive of yourself and your political activity as being defined by service to a leader then that leader does need to be perfect, because if they are imperfect it reflects on you as a person, but people aren't perfect and so the necessary course of action is to stop thinking of yourself and your ideas in that way. And you also need to stop structuing your political activity that way. The left has always had the difficulty that we are fractious and want our own things, and we have also always had the problem that if our ideas are centered in a leader than that leader becomes a target. If anything I think the fact that people can be outed as creeps only adds another layer of argument as to why we can't center our political activities under specific leaders or institutions.

You hardly have to go full anarchy to improve things. One of the things New Labour actually got right, at least early on, was having a stable of ten or so recognizable politicians who were all clearly working together on a project they all fundamentally agreed on. Like their contemporaries the Spice Girls, you had a group of individuals under a common brand.

Later on, things became specifically more Presidential, which worked about as well as Baby Spice’s solo album

if there had been more than two MPs capable of appearing in front of a TV camera in support of Corbynism, things might well have gone better. Then, If you have bullshit accusations of antisemitism, you bring out Jewish Corbyn to respond. And if you have credible accusations of whatever, you throw Handsy Corbyn under the bus and replace them with minimal damage.

There is probably a general cultural point to be made about the replacement of the pop group post-2000 with individual musicians something something neoliberalism.

radmonger fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 31, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

in the West, anyway. Pan-religious awakening elsewhere in the world is still within living memory, for instance
If someone were to be wielding several hot dogs, I'm sure that they could make the case that the European New Left was a religious awakening in the mold of taking Schopenhauer's Vedic rejection of Abrahamic hierarchy and ramming it into a form of Neo-Buddhism via Foucault. It'd certainly explain all of those 'godhead' conspiracy theories you got at the fringes of what resulted from that.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

radmonger posted:

You hardly have to go full anarchy to improve things. One of the things New Labour actually got right, at least early on, was having a stable of ten or so recognizable politicians who were all clearly working together on a project they all fundamentally agreed on. Like their contemporaries the Spice Girls, you had a group of individuals under a common brand.

Later on, things became specifically more Presidential, which worked about as well as Baby Spice’s solo album

if there had been more than two MPs capable of appearing in front of a TV camera in support of Corbynism, things might well have gone better. Then, If you have bullshit accusations of antisemitism, you bring out Jewish Corbyn to respond. And if you have credible accusations of whatever, you throw Handsy Corbyn under the bus and replace them with minimal damage.

There is probably a general cultural point to be made about the replacement of the pop group post-2000 with individual musicians something something neoliberalism.

And what if they ask Corbyn about the IRA? Then everyone is hosed. Game over

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The challenge of course is finding ten politicians with actual good politics who aren't completely poo poo at tv

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

And the reason there's such a deficit of politicians who are any good at anything is the systematic effort to make working within the labour party structure impossible for anyone who isn't a full-time melt.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Katt posted:

And what if they ask Corbyn about the IRA? Then everyone is hosed. Game over
Then you bring out Wee Free Corbyn to condemn the legitimacy of Irish Republicanism and the whole thing descends into chaos because you're willing to meet a clearly disingenuous press halfway on everything.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

radmonger posted:

at least half of that team would've walked out over the signature issue that plagued the Corbyn leadership years, i.e., Brexit, because well more than half of the Corbynite support base was fiercely anti-Brexit and are based in constituencies or affiliated societies/other structures that are fiercely anti-Brexit

that was exactly how attempts to build an independent intellectual base turned out - the EAC, for instance. In the wake of that trainwreck, Labour advisor involvement was uniformly judged on their loyalty to a policy of ambiguity and nothing else. If Owen Jones himself failed this test throughout the years then the pool of available would-be movement intellectuals was always vanishingly small

New Labour itself was also an awkward fusion of hard-hat unionists and liberal revisionists, but the signature tensions between the two happened to ebb as New Labour became ascendant. Corbyn won leadership on one platform (anti-austerity) and then got blindsided by something completely different, something that exposed the gulf between a 1980s leftist and the post-Iraq gen.

I don't think this was inevitable... there's an alternate reality where 2016-2020 is mainly characterized by the incredibly awkward and slow death-rattle of hug-a-hoodie liberal Toryism amidst the insurgent and yet amorphous conservative-populist flank and a newly chilly Atlantic relationship with the new Pres. Trump, with the Brexit referendum is merely one of several very expensive CON adventures in gambling the country to resolve party divides and yet never quite managing to put the leash back on the beast. This is the Conservative party that Corbyn would have very much preferred to face - a fraught liberal conservatism increasingly both not liberal enough and not conservative enough, paralyzed in internecine warfare whilst LAB adroitly flits around twatting it about the head with a tuition fees and local buses bat. The brutal divide between the leadership and PLP remains but is mostly inside baseball rather than shaping anything meaningful to voters. Instead what we got was the culture war of a generation, one that winds up dividing LAB far more than CON.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Corbyns Brexit stance alone probably hosed him.

He managed to find the perfect zen middle ground where all pro-Brexit Labour voters went to Boris, some anti-Brexit Labour voters went to the Lib dems and the Anti-Brexit Tory voters probably voted Boris anyway.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

now brexit is “over” i wonder if the uneasy tory coalition might start to fray a bit

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
lol :smith:

https://twitter.com/dayclancy/status/1344292348591792128?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jel Shaker posted:

now brexit is “over” i wonder if the uneasy tory coalition might start to fray a bit

I suspect this is only the end of the beginning. The worst people in the country know how to get what they want now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

got blindsided by something completely different, something that exposed the gulf between a 1980s leftist and the post-Iraq gen.
That just makes me wonder what happened to the leftists that were willing to fight in the street over Maastricht in Copenhagen and the WTO in Seattle and why they were so unable to communicate anything positive, but I think most of the post-Iraq generation were willing to risk Corbyn+Brexit, and it was the in their 30s and 40s generation of New Labour types who went fully FBPE.

lol :smith:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Happy Xmas (Brexit Is "Over")

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Katt posted:

Corbyns Brexit stance alone probably hosed him.

He managed to find the perfect zen middle ground where all pro-Brexit Labour voters went to Boris, some anti-Brexit Labour voters went to the Lib dems and the Anti-Brexit Tory voters probably voted Boris anyway.

That's definitely not how I saw it. I thought Corbyns brexit stance was from the start very reasonable and seemed to have appeal, I thought it was probably the best position one could take. The problem was those around Corbyn who refused to accept Brexit was a fact and forced him to agree to a 2nd referendum and threw all that into disarray.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BrewDogJames/status/1344584543341326338

I've got a vague recollection of Brewdog being Bad somehow but this is a shitload more than that melted Thundercat in charge of Wetherspoons has ever offered to help the country in his entire loving life.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Please sir, I know :D

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"I'm less concerned with what she exposed in the field of wheat than what she concealed in the field of rape" remains the best quote about Theresa May.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've got a vague recollection of Brewdog being Bad somehow but this is a shitload more than that melted Thundercat in charge of Wetherspoons has ever offered to help the country in his entire loving life.

They've had a few dodgy moments IIRC, especially re: other breweries/people they've worked with, but they're generally a hell of a lot better than any other equally sized brewery/pub chain in the UK.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

iirc the "bad somehow" is mostly "claim to be punk while actually just being a pretty regular large pub chain with all the negatives that implies". They're better than like Wetherspoons in a big way though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Also Elvis Juice is the dog's bollocks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the "equity for punks" thing tied into the whole "neoliberal prosumer capitalism is the new punk" bullshit, but claiming to be punk while not being punk is still a bit better than claiming to be patriotic while being racist.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

Sir Keir went onto defend his decision to serve in the Shadow Cabinet under Mr Corbyn.

He said: “I thought it was better to stay and try and change things; others thought it was better to leave.

“I thought it was better to make the arguments that needed to be made in the Shadow Cabinet.

“I took the view that if you are in a party you stay in and fight for change; other people took a different view.”

He added: “I am very conscious now that as leader of the Labour Party, it falls to me to bring about that change.”
🐍🐍🐍

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

This just turned me into a boomer.....

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

could have done with a pint after my vaccine, i was fine until after the jab when i started thinking that maybe i’ll get anaphylaxis out of nowhere ( all that dang fake news must have got into my brain by osmosis)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

a nice big sign on the door saying Shots! Shots! Shots!

may be a PR exercise, but assuming their equipment's up to it, this could be a good idea.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
they gave prominent terf kathleen stock an OBE because of course they did

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ova Bearing Entity.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Changing the subject slightly, there were some posts about Cities Skylines a few pages back.

For shame comrades, for shame. The peoples city builder is Workers & Resources : Soviet Republic.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

biglads posted:

Changing the subject slightly, there were some posts about Cities Skylines a few pages back.

For shame comrades, for shame. The peoples city builder is Workers & Resources : Soviet Republic.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They hosed one of the small chains I know of quite badly. It was a deal involving exclusivity for preferential prices which they immediately reneged on by selling their beer to other places in town.
They've got a conscience until they smell profit basically.

That said, a bunch of different brands and organisations performatively offering their help might shame the government into stepping up the pace of vaccination.
We're not seeing the same lofty promises with vaccines as we had with testing in May/June. Maybe cornering the government into committing to a few "stretch goals" is no bad thing. Especially as vaccine-euphoria wears off and some people realise it's going to be another year before they get the jab at least.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Hi thread.

My hospital is already under a heavier Covid load than the first peak, and then I see this bunch of bellends trying to throw a beach party:

Warning over Brighton New Year's Eve 'freedom' party

Fucks sake. We are going to spend so long dealing with this poo poo. We'll probably have a tier 5 within a couple of weeks, which will be 'tier 4, but really, you guys', and nothing will change. Let's just hope we don't gently caress up the vaccinations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Ova Bearing Entity.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

biglads posted:

Is it good? City builders have always been my favourite video-game. When I'm stuck in traffic I don't get upset and grunt and grumble and swear and bang on the steering wheel and do frustration beeps like many people, I just sit and have a think about how I could optimally redesign the roads

it offentimes would involve demolishing much of a housing estate or a Primark or that but you don't have to worry about those things and their consequences when you're just having a think