Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The best part of low gravity maps in tf2 was flaresniping suddenly becoming extremely viable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The best part of low gravity maps in tf2 was flaresniping suddenly becoming extremely viable

i always liked the dumb mario kart map, with the old as gently caress memes from my teens and snipers paradise.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Welcome to the thread, Burger of Void. I knew you'd come. Delightful!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Now we can finally heal from the dark times of Lowtax. :unsmith:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Let's not make this weird, please.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Alacron posted:

Let's not make this weird, please.

Weirder.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Thread shooting for the speedrun of getting real creepy

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah, OW became very unfun to play and was the game that made me realize that 1: I hate and really suck at games that are competitive in nature. and 2: How much I need a story mode or single player campaign in video games.

Overwatch's big selling point was it's character's personalities and design and...well there's just no reason to care about them as anything else than mechanics. Whats worse is at launch there was clearly a over arching story that ties all these characters together and it was all done in innuendo and conversations that only have a chance of triggering. I remember really wanting to love Zariah, but I sucked so bad as her.

Edit: Also Lootboxes. gently caress Lootboxes in retail games.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 31, 2020

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, OW became very unfun to play and was the game that made me realize that 1: I hate and really suck at games that are competitive in nature. and 2: How much I need a story mode or single player campaign in video games.

Overwatch's big selling point was it's character's personalities and design and...well there's just no reason to care about them as anything else than mechanics. Whats worse is at launch there was clearly a over arching story that ties all these characters together and it was all done in innuendo and conversations that only have a chance of triggering. I remember really wanting to love Zariah, but I sucked so bad as her.

I still feel like TF2 was both the real patient zero and one of the worst means of implementing this.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was pretty terrible at TF2 but I found my niche as an engineer that fixed everyone else's poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I was pretty terrible at TF2 but I found my niche as an engineer that fixed everyone else's poo poo.

I was also terrible and would swap to engineer at the beginning to help them get set up before going suicide scout, soldier, demoman or useless sniper 64/75 times.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I was also terrible and would swap to engineer at the beginning to help them get set up before going suicide scout, soldier, demoman or useless sniper 64/75 times.

I think only like...5 people were good at Spy.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

VoidBurger posted:

Yeah, I started a new channel for any video essay things I do because I figured someone who found me via the video essay would be dismayed to see that my hundreds of other videos are Let's Plays and streams and not much video essay stuff. Less rude to say "Hey, I also have a gaming channel with thousands of hours of stuff that isn't this." and just link it than make people wade through tons of vids in the vague hope that one of them is similar to the content they originally came for.

Also: Hi, everyone.

Wb, also good essay hope u do more

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

I think only like...5 people were good at Spy.

Spy required too much brain and also a way stronger computer than my 2012 laptop could handle. I was more into being a support so I usually had mad milk or jarate in case people got lit on fire. And the concheror for the team to move to places faster, because I got addicted to the Baby Face's Blaster's level of speed and mourned its nerf.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 31, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I was good at playing spy way, way back when TF2 had just come out. I feel like over time people got better at identifying spies and I would just die over and over from pyro spychecks. Demoman and scout were ultimately a lot more fun to play though.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I once spent like $18aud on a lapel rose for The Spy, and then realized I was never spending money on cosmetics again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Casey Finnigan posted:

I was good at playing spy way, way back when TF2 had just come out. I feel like over time people got better at identifying spies and I would just die over and over from pyro spychecks. Demoman and scout were ultimately a lot more fun to play though.

The problem with a character type like the Spy is it's stuck being built around trying to blend into a group of people that know friendly fire doesn't exist and there's zero reason NOT to shoot everyone who approaches you regardless of team colour.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1344540012235292676?s=20

Everyone vote for the spiderman musical. All 35 of us will surely be enough to swing the final vote. I don’t know what the other thing is but she’ll probably do a video about it eventually anyway, and I need to know more about that spiderman musical other than that Jay Leno clip where green goblin sings about the freaks of New York City.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BigRed0427 posted:

The only time I ever enjoyed playing Overwatch was when they had those like, unlimited crazymode weekends where everyone's abilities and supers were always active? My favorite character was Mei to begin with, because I was inexplicably good at sniping with her icicles. So throw in the fact that all of her skills were anti-fun poo poo like walls and freezing, and I could make a single match in that mode last for over an hour with deadlocked capture points.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Everyone vote for the spiderman musical. All 35 of us will surely be enough to swing the final vote. I don’t know what the other thing is but she’ll probably do a video about it eventually anyway, and I need to know more about that spiderman musical other than that Jay Leno clip where green goblin sings about the freaks of New York City.
break in case the vote doesn't go your way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6bxB9vTToQ

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with a character type like the Spy is it's stuck being built around trying to blend into a group of people that know friendly fire doesn't exist and there's zero reason NOT to shoot everyone who approaches you regardless of team colour.

Oh god, im a terrible spy and on the one FFenabled server i ever played on even i could get 6-7 stabs acting completely obvious before i would die.

FF takes spies from an opportunism/trickstab class to an unholy menace.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BigRed0427 posted:

It is funny how people were crying out for some type of game, anything really, story-related to OW but they just kept right on tinkering with their extremely average FPS game. And now they're doing a sequel?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dawgstar posted:

It is funny how people were crying out for some type of game, anything really, story-related to OW but they just kept right on tinkering with their extremely average FPS game. And now they're doing a sequel?

A sequel that was only supposed to be the PvE story stuff so you could still jsut play OW 1 for the multiplayer....except the website for OW2 updated and showcased a brand new PVP only gametype (It's Payload Race) so now it might just be a full sequel where all those 1000s of bucks on cosmetics won't transfer over cause they're making updated models and looks for the cast. THey've said gently caress all about OW2 in the past year and a half so I have no loving clue what it is and I don't think Blizzard knows at this point.

Also they put pants and a jacket on Genji which means he was nude this whole loving time. Also thinner mei, you hate to see it folks.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I generally only found any success on Spy when I tried to spend as much time as possible out of sight and get my stabs by dropping on people and flanking them in corners. It's not like I never disguised but I tried not to rely on it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CYBEReris posted:

I generally only found any success on Spy when I tried to spend as much time as possible out of sight and get my stabs by dropping on people and flanking them in corners. It's not like I never disguised but I tried not to rely on it.

I never had the patience to actually get good at Spy but this was the way to play. Couldn't cloak in TFC so disguise was much more of a necessity.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Also the guns become exponentially more effective when you're sandwiching someone with a teammate so the enemy has split attention

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Something that sticks in my craw about Overwatch’s story stuff is that some of it is backstory and some of it is “current,” and I have absolutely no idea which is which.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The controversial youtuber known as Apollo Legend has died.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The controversial youtuber known as Apollo Legend has died.

three notes:
- it is unconfirmed as of right now if he's actually dead, though he did apparently post a suicide letter as part of a video that was taken down (also unconfirmed)
- 'controversial' is load-bearing, as (among other things) he often defended neonazi members of the speedrunning community
- the worst members of the speedrunning community are going to be saying a lot of poo poo both fabricated and real about this situation and are already attacking a bunch of people that they blame for his death (which includes, if you're not aware who those people target on the regular, "sjw"/trans members of the community) so be aware if you decide to look into this

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

Something that sticks in my craw about Overwatch’s story stuff is that some of it is backstory and some of it is “current,” and I have absolutely no idea which is which.

People getting way into the lore of online only multiplayer shooters (or say something like League) is so odd to me. I've played a ton of Apex Legends and I guess it has a deep storyline about all the characters and I know nothing about it outside of flavor lines the character say to each other.

It's certainly not bad for business because clearly there are people super into this stuff. Also keeps some writers employed.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Is it fair to say that Overwatch was made with pro level play in mind first?

Because that can describe a lot of my major problems with the game.

Now that I think about it, TF2 had a level of chaos to its game play that is lacking from Overwatch. Overwatch just feels more sterilized somehow.

Errant Signal put it best. TF2 was more of a hangout game you can dip in and out of. Overwatch requires you have a group ready to go, otherwise your playing with randos and everything that entails.

My point is adding player rankings that can go up and down based on your w/l record was a massive, massive mistake.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 31, 2020

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Oh my god. Thats why I hate a lot of modern video games! Online multi-player modes now have to include a ranking system to show how good or at bad you are st it and loving EVERYONE has to take it seriously now, because number go down if you don't.

The real reason I stopped playing overwatch was because of this! I just ended up rage quitting that and hearthstone.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I was hoping for a video on PJ because unlike Spider-man it hasn't been done to death; though my sister both being a giant fan of PJ and musicals actually went up to see it off Broadway and had the CD to play; it's decent. I'm also a big PJ fan and in a more just world Rick Riordan would be richer and seen as a much better JK Rowling both in person and content.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
on the other hand, unranked modes usually have people extremely willing to give up on a game/match they're not having fun in on a dime b/c there's no consequences to quitting and trying to find a game that looks more favorable to you

which doesn't seem too bad until you realize that once it passes a certain point you're never completing a set for the rest of the game's lifespan

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

Is it fair to say that Overwatch was made with pro level play in mind first?

I'd say no way because it's always been terribly balanced and the maps are dogshit. They tried to force a pro scene on what's always been a casual shooter.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Overwatch is a first-person MOBA, not a competitive shioter.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

overwatch is a sandwich

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Overwatch is a first-person MOBA, not a competitive shioter.

I miss Monday Night Combat.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wholly agree with the personality stuff with Overwatch. It's also terrible because they're just surface-level archetypes. Blizzard has no backbone so the characters will never be anything but. You'd never know Tracer and Soldier 76 were gay because they hide the representation so much to allow for territories not progressive on those issues to censor it. Congrats, Blizzard. You have one thing a lot of people like - the cast of characters - but are too chickenshit to make them loud and proud. Capitalists gonna capitalist, though, so I guess that's nothing new really.

I think what Respawn should do is make another Titanfall but use the Apex characters in it. Titanfall 2 (the other TF2) is still one of my favorite competitive shooters. When I play it feels like I'm playing UT99 as a kid again. It also has AI enemies that help you contribute to the score if you're not able to keep up against human players. It not doing well is one of the industries biggest injustices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The characters in overwatch were frequently just really obnoxious and also paper thin. Those voice lines got super grating in a way that the tf2 cast never did

Also the """plot""" was "Winston put up the bat signal to make all the former overwatch people get together again" and then a bunch of shorts of various characters seeing the bat signal/their backstory from before the bat signal and to this day I have no idea if they ever actually assembled at the bat signal

I'd like the know what happens when they all assemble and I don't even really remember why they're assembling anymore